• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington are travelling to Orange today. to play principally against Kinross as well as All Saints & Scots Bathurst. All Newington teams will need to approach their games with caution, respect and resolution as Kinross is an emerging Rugby powerhouse within the ISA. They will be fielding 5 teams in the opens and roughly three teams in the age divisions. Where Kinross are playing down, Scots and All Saints fill in the Gaps. Interestingly, Kinross Prep School School teams are playing the lower Newington 13s E and F teams. So in effect Kinross will field five teams in the 13s

In the past New teams have achieved some big wins over Kinross. But New supporters should expect much closer games today. A 1st XV win to Kinross would not come as a surprise, rather it would reflect the quality of our opposition. Last year Kinross 16As shared Championship honours with St.Augustines and they were considered to be an excellent team, not just in the ISA. If Dr Andrew Parry can continue the expansion in numbers and the improvement in Kinross Rugby Teams. I would hope not just Newington, but other GPS Schools will endeavour to make the trip to Orange.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
went out to joeys to see my mate from Harden's son play for st Gregs

and unfortunately due to an earlier commitment barely saw any of the game, but St Gregs beat Joeys 2nds, 5- Nil

then watched Marist Canberra beat Joeys 22-12

and Marist played great, and Joeys dropped that much ball, I never seen anything like it

so not sure how good Joeys hopes in 2017 are looking

having said that the Joeys number 1 was very good, and backrowers (as you expect with Joeys) did a mountain of work

however it has become the customary story (at least of recent years) where Joeys look slick in the warm up, then get monstered in the game

the Joeys backs were mostly half-back size ... the 15 seemed like he could step his way through a bindy field, but he wouldn't have been out of place in a under 15s side

not sure who was wearing 16 ... one of the centres was always dangerous

xavier ryan seemed one of the better backs, but then got taken off ... not sure why .....although both teams were cramping up, so probably not much in his leaving the field

anyway I continue to wonder what Joeys are doing wrong (in Ones) ... are they over-training, doing too intense pre match prep, picking the wrong body shapes (too many half backs/backrowers)

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Saw on CAS thread that Waverley 1sts def View 67-12 in a trial today. Obviously View were missing 10 or so top players at Scots 7s, but Waves also had half a dozen top players out and I had thought it would be a lot closer. Anyone have a match report?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
although I have a question .....what are the rules re rolling substitutions?

Marist Canberra seemed to roll on and off their bigger boppers ... and that nullifies the superior Joeys fitness

anyways you never write-off Joeys ... although based on todays un-JOeys-like performance, I don't like their chances against a star studded Scots, when they face up in their next game

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
CatchnPass, I believe so, although seemed quite a few kids from the 2016 16As, so maybe they were understrength

all I know is the Scots backs will tear them to shreds, if they don't improve on that performance

presumably they will go to Coffs or wherever they go, and better prepare

do think it a shame Joeys don't do tours ... although I do get that the theory is they are country folk and want to go home, for at least some face time with Mum. Dad and the livestock

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Great day of rugby at Scots today, Riverview were electric Waverley were very lucky this cohort of boys were not present, I had to leave before the final today but view were on fire ....... Scots demolished the NSW development team in runners up final Scots back line we're unstoppable ........ pity View and Scots did not play each other ......... highlight of the day 4 yellow cards in 90 seconds to Rahu (Fiji) school v View ............

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
went out to joeys to see my mate from Harden's son play for st Gregs

and unfortunately due to an earlier commitment barely saw any of the game, but St Gregs beat Joeys 2nds, 5- Nil

then watched Marist Canberra beat Joeys 22-12

and Marist played great, and Joeys dropped that much ball, I never seen anything like it

so not sure how good Joeys hopes in 2017 are looking

having said that the Joeys number 1 was very good, and backrowers (as you expect with Joeys) did a mountain of work

however it has become the customary story (at least of recent years) where Joeys look slick in the warm up, then get monstered in the game

the Joeys backs were mostly half-back size . the 15 seemed like he could step his way through a bindy field, but he wouldn't have been out of place in a under 15s side

not sure who was wearing 16 . one of the centres was always dangerous

xavier ryan seemed one of the better backs, but then got taken off . not sure why ...although both teams were cramping up, so probably not much in his leaving the field

anyway I continue to wonder what Joeys are doing wrong (in Ones) . are they over-training, doing too intense pre match prep, picking the wrong body shapes (too many half backs/backrowers)

SonnyDillWilliams I think Joeys have a lot of scope for improvement. In your own words 'Marist played great' however only just beat Joeys 22-12, and beat a team that 'dropped that much ball'. So in saying that, imagine what the score may have been if Joeys played their full strength squad today and did not drop so much ball.... Maybe you might wonder what Joeys are doing wrong but it was their first trial so maybe over the course of these 6 to 8 trial games they will get their full strength squad together in readiness for the 5 game GPS comp.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Riverview made the Cup (A) final of the Scots 7s, but lost to St Patricks, Wellington NZ. Score St Pats 29 - 17 View. Scots Gold won Shield (B) final 47 - 5. Both very impressive.

Hurricane

Frank Row (1)
Great day down at Scots. Well done to St Patricks, Wellington. Very strong throughout the day and well deserved.

Both Riverview and the three Scots teams also looked powerful and no doubt they will both be heavy weights this year.

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
SonnyDillWilliams I think Joeys have a lot of scope for improvement. In your own words 'Marist played great' however only just beat Joeys 22-12, and beat a team that 'dropped that much ball'. So in saying that, imagine what the score may have been if Joeys played their full strength squad today and did not drop so much ball.. Maybe you might wonder what Joeys are doing wrong but it was their first trial so maybe over the course of these 6 to 8 trial games they will get their full strength squad together in readiness for the 5 game GPS comp.
Troy, I was at the game and I'm certain the score board said 'St Joseph's 1st XV'. They played after the 2nd XV too. I'm pretty sure it was Joeys full strength squad based on those facts....unless we have two 1st XV's?

They got beaten by a team who just played better on that day. Let's not make excuses and make out we trotted out some second rate team - that would be totally disrespectful if true and we deserve to lose if we did that. Well done to Marist who actually did play pretty well.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
War Chest I was there yesterday and Marist thoroughly deserved their win. Joeys were outplayed. It's certainly not panic stations - first game, lots of trials to come & Reilly, Everleigh, Yates, Edstein Boyes etc to come back. Too much dropped ball, penalties - there was so much interchange, position swapping which certainly wasn't ideal but no - not the start to the season we wanted.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks for the footage Sidesteppa.
Does anyone have the View team list from yesterday? Recognised Easy, Albert and Fish and just curious who else played.

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
War Chest I was there yesterday and Marist thoroughly deserved their win. Joeys were outplayed. It's certainly not panic stations - first game, lots of trials to come & Reilly, Everleigh, Yates, Edstein Boyes etc to come back. Too much dropped ball, penalties - there was so much interchange, position swapping which certainly wasn't ideal but no - not the start to the season we wanted.
I agree, I just didn't want anything taken away from the Marist team who will no doubt cherish a win over Joeys 1st XV. It was their first game of the year too so we were no more rusty or disjointed than they were I guess. Regardless of yesterday's outcome only a fool would write Joeys off in April....

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
Troy, I was at the game and I'm certain the score board said 'St Joseph's 1st XV'. They played after the 2nd XV too. I'm pretty sure it was Joeys full strength squad based on those facts..unless we have two 1st XV's?

They got beaten by a team who just played better on that day. Let's not make excuses and make out we trotted out some second rate team - that would be totally disrespectful if true and we deserve to lose if we did that. Well done to Marist who actually did play pretty well.

100% Joeys got beaten by a team that played better on the day.... No argument from me there. However, like I said it was won against a Joeys team that dropped so much ball and the team was NOT at full strength. There were a number of 1st XV players that did not play at all yesterday. It is a trial game ! A trial game to see which players fit in and can play at 1st XV level.

Sometimes you don't play your good players in meaningless trial games..... hence the point I was making to SonnyDillWilliams there is a lot of scope for improvement for Joeys once the team is a full-strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.