• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

''the gentrified Professional Middle Class .." please ...... that's a bit over the top isnt it? we're sinking into class distinction now?
It's a game for everyone but with codes of conduct and acceptable standards of behaviour. Thats true.

There is a rule about criticising refs and rightly so and he's crossed the line.

The bloke (or girl, or kid) is a dickhead who we tolerate on the CAS thread with mild amusement. He comes out with stupid comments, someone makes fun of him, he disappears and then returns with more comedy to give everyone a bit of a laugh.

He's very annoying but quite harmless.

Ban him from this thread.

S

sidelineview

Sorry RichE,

I didn't keep our date, simply forgot, I think you can understand I got caught up in the game.
None of us expected that result.

It appeared to me that Joeys got rattled early, and Waves were aggressive and pretty slick, I think you saw a few standouts there who are seriously talented.
There are a few league boys in that team, and I know rah rahs hate to admit it, but they are skillful and technically tackle so well.

Funny game footy, against Kings were were terrible, and the boys were angry with themselves, and today very focused.

Joeys will bounce back as always!

I heard it was a very good team effort from Waverley but Brooklyn Hardaker, Liam Cornish and Ben Donaldson were standouts.

Were there any more you'd give a mention to from both teams?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
After Barker beat Shore last week, it seemed to me that Shore had taken a step back.

Appears so, however I don't rate these "Frankenstein" trials as neither sausage nor sizzle. I'll be interested to see what happens when the schools go back to playing in their respective comps, when sheep stations are up for grabs.

There are bigger fish to fry and I don't see the GPS coaches diverting from the pre-season strategies they've applied to trials in years past.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
*We're not banning posters for claiming they were robbed by the ref - it happens every match thread pretty much. If everyone ignores him, it goes nowhere. In any event the post was deleted. Move on. *

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Appears so, however I don't rate these "Frankenstein" trials as neither sausage nor sizzle. I'll be interested to see what happens when the associations go back to playing in their respective comps, when sheep stations are up for grabs.

I know the CAS correspondents will rattle on about everyone wanting to win games, and that's true to a point. There are however bigger fish to fry and I don't see the GPS coaches diverting from the pre-season strategy they've applied to trials in years past.

Fair enough Azzuri, but every game looks serious to most of us from both camps, so I think it is fair to say that the CAS teams have competed quite well. Maybe even better than the jokes but seriously the footy has been great!

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
''the gentrified Professional Middle Class .." please .. that's a bit over the top isnt it? we're sinking into class distinction now?
It's a game for everyone but with codes of conduct and acceptable standards of behaviour. Thats true.

There is a rule about criticising refs and rightly so and he's crossed the line.

The bloke (or girl, or kid) is a dickhead who we tolerate on the CAS thread with mild amusement. He comes out with stupid comments, someone makes fun of him, he disappears and then returns with more comedy to give everyone a bit of a laugh.

He's very annoying but quite harmless.

Ban him from this thread.

Might have been over the top about the Middle Class gentrified comment, but without the GPS,CAS and ISA schools the ARU doesn't have game.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I heard it was a very good team effort from Waverley but Brooklyn Hardaker, Liam Cornish and Ben Donaldson were standouts.

Were there any more you'd give a mention to from both teams?

Sideline,

I don't know the Joe boys well enough but my thoughts were as follows:

Joeys got rattled early by a seriously physical and aggressive Waves team.
From there they did what we did against Kings and that was ... nothing went right. It was just 1 of those days!

I believe this Joeys team has many good players like Tristan Rielly, but waves dominated the ball, and the game was pretty much gone by half time 30-7.

Finn O'Sullivan played very well, a smart player, Finn Wright had a huge influence. Luca Moretti had a huge work rate and real power.
Then you have Ellis, Whiteman and co, as a TEAM they were superb.
Constantly beat Joeys to the breakdown which is typically their game.

A long way to go but this team can certainly put some points on!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Appears so, however I don't rate these "Frankenstein" trials as neither sausage nor sizzle.

Welcome back Azzuri. Haven't seen you for a while since the post below. It's a shame to hear you have apparently lost your enthusiasm for these trials since being the first to dive in to the unofficial 'GPS v CAS trials tipping comp'. I wonder why?

"Rich_E said: ↑
UNOFFICIAL TIPPING COMP.

Please specify how many wins do you think CAS teams will collectively chalk up in 5 rounds of trials with GPS. No need to nominate which teams will win. No prizes. I will report winners in week commencing 29 May. There are 12 CAS v GPS trials. To participate in comp simply post number of games you think CAS will win.

My tip: 3"

"Excellent idea Rich: 1

Azzuri, Dec 6, 2016"

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Strang and Styles both out for season, not sure how long for O'Byrne

None of them have played this season except for Styles last week ...... so I'm not sure how they are out for the season having never played ......... facts are strang is 2-3 weeks away, o"Bernie is two weeks away and Styles is 1-2 weeks ..... prop back next week for the Scottish clash ........

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Waverley were on song today. Massive hits and runs with ball in hand by amoretti, wright and Cornish rattled Joeys. The injuries to Everleigh and Scolari rattled Joeys. Difference between team was the aggressive running by the Waverley forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Sorry RichE,

I didn't keep our date, simply forgot, I think you can understand I got caught up in the game.
None of us expected that result.
!

No worries. Figured that must have been the case. A day to celebrate for the Waverley faithful for sure.

The league influence in the Waverley team is very obvious. But what impressed me was the way they leverage the league skills very effectively.

They play a kind of 'hybrid game' that is very unpredictable and difficult to defend.

And, as you've said, they sure know how to run and tackle hard.

A very good team all round.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Waves v New next week could be epic. I suspect the GPS battle this year will ultimately be decided between New v Scots, and W will clearly be a contender for the CAS title, so it will be a great baramoter for how the 2 associations are traveling. New are very organised and have the big, hard running forwards to match W. They also have some very good elusive backs. So all in all it should be a great match up and much may be revealed by the hybrid (thanks Rich E) meets classic styles played by the them respectively. Given it's at Death Valley, I'm tipping W in a tight one - so long as they maintain discipline and don't read too much of the press from today.

pilf_enthusiast

Bob McCowan (2)
None of them have played this season except for Styles last week .. so I'm not sure how they are out for the season having never played ... facts are strang is 2-3 weeks away, o"Bernie is two weeks away and Styles is 1-2 weeks ... prop back next week for the Scottish clash ....
Would love to hear where you got this information from?

Strang also played in scots 10s internal trial so he has played this season.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
No worries. Figured that must have been the case. A day to celebrate for the Waverley faithful for sure.

The league influence in the Waverley team is very obvious. But what impressed me was the way they leverage the league skills very effectively.

They play a kind of 'hybrid game' that is very unpredictable and difficult to defend against, when you are not used to it.

And, as you've said, they sure know how to tackle.

Let's not get carried away given 2 of the 15 play extra-curricula league to the best of my knowledge. This year group has been strong throughout and without the injection of scholarship players know each other's play. They play in the traditional high risk running Waverley way but their skill level (and discipline) is such that they are able to decimate teams when it comes off. It won't always (see Kings) but it is a great example of entertaining schoolboy running rugby baed on some aggressive defence work.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

They play a kind of 'hybrid game' that is very unpredictable and difficult to defend.

And, as you've said, they sure know how to run and tackle hard.

Nice comment Rich_E, AND we didn't expect that result.

Your comment is very apt, if combined properly into a union game, it is extremely potent, eg the head on tackles, 1 hand off loads etc.

I have also noticed the fierce competitive nature of these league players, ie body on the line. I think its important to point out that these boys aren't just league players, they have also played union for years, and play league on Sundays for the Roosters Harold Mathews team, so serious athletes.

The problem you face though is injury!
BUT nothing too big fazes these boys.

Anyway good luck going forward, Joeys are Joeys, so that means they will bounce back.

Regards.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Welcome back Azzuri. Haven't seen you for a while since the post below. It's a shame to hear you have apparently lost your enthusiasm for these trials since being the first to dive in to the unofficial 'GPS v CAS trials tipping comp'. I wonder why?

"Rich_E said: ↑
UNOFFICIAL TIPPING COMP.

Please specify how many wins do you think CAS teams will collectively chalk up in 5 rounds of trials with GPS. No need to nominate which teams will win. No prizes. I will report winners in week commencing 29 May. There are 12 CAS v GPS trials. To participate in comp simply post number of games you think CAS will win.

My tip: 3"

"Excellent idea Rich: 1

Azzuri, Dec 6, 2016"
No one is more surprised than me that the number is greater than zero. Even then, you will note that I agreed there would be at least one win.

And since you like retrospectives, please let me know in which post I expressed any sort of enthusiasm for these trials?

Status
Not open for further replies.