• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hear Shore are getting new sports facilities at the school. Will the boys have access to their gym during this time? And if not will this affect their training?

Plans for a big new sporting complex with indoor pool, basketball courts, and other state of the art facilities has been submitted to council.

(Alas, no altitude chamber ;))

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well with a clean slate I reckon what you do isa you work out areas of NSW so that they all have roughly the same number of male (and female for female rugby) players U 18.
Then you have teams from all the various schools eligible for these zone teams - the zones would be smallish.
And so far as possible they play each other within zones and then a zone team is selected to play other zone teams.
:(

This was once in existance in the CHS system - unfortunately no more. If they had worked it out 15 years ago, the ARU might have been able to preserve that as a vehicle for expansion. (But I digress here off topic - apologies HJ)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I hear Shore are getting new sports facilities at the school. Will the boys have access to their gym during this time? And if not will this affect their training?

Forget access to the sporting facilities. Just make sure there is no barriers to accessing the canteen!:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I heard today that GPS rugby will revert to one round next year. TAS to play in the same line of the draw as Newington i.e. TAS 1sts will play 3rds against whoever Newington is playing. Not sure what is happening with Grammar and High - could they play as one line in the draw again? (Which would see the return of the bye).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I heard today that GPS rugby will revert to one round next year. TAS to play in the same line of the draw as Newington i.e. TAS 1sts will play 3rds against whoever Newington is playing. Not sure what is happening with Grammar and High - could they play as one line in the draw again? (Which would see the return of the bye).

Have you also heard the rationale for this decision? An opportunity to play against CAS and CIS teams in the extended pre-season perhaps? Or is it something to do with the talks between schools and ARU? Maybe a student-focussed decision i.e. reduce the length of a stressful season on HSC candidates?
So many arguments for and against!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I don't think a 12 game season's unduly stressful for HSC candidates, FF (Folau Fainga'a). When I was at one of the aforementioned institutions we played 4/5 pre-season games followed by seven competition games, ie. against the other seven Sydney schools. Only the First and Seconds got a fixture against TAS and even that was a trial in school holidays. TBH I think the GPS season's too short.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think it is about shortening the season. If that were the case QLD would be the place to start. Pretty sure it's about having more opportunity to play schools from other associations, and aligning schools of similar competivness and strength and numbers. Think Grammar one of the main agitators for change.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't think it is about shortening the season. If that were the case QLD would be the place to start. Pretty sure it's about having more opportunity to play schools from other associations, and aligning schools of similar competivness and strength and numbers. Think Grammar one of the main agitators for change.

Think you'll find that Joeys were behind scrapping the 3rds. They didn't like teams going to TAS when the rest of the school was at home, nor did they like having to organise buses to multiple locations.

I heard that Grammar were quite happy with the existing arrangement.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Think you'll find that Joeys were behind scrapping the 3rds. They didn't like teams going to TAS when the rest of the school was at home, nor did they like having to organise buses to multiple locations.

I heard that Grammar were quite happy with the existing arrangement.
But isn't the thirds comp still going? Or are you saying there will be no away games at Arimidale?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But isn't the thirds comp still going? Or are you saying there will be no away games at Arimidale?

TAS will play all games away from what I heard, at wherever Newington play. Will be interesting in the age groups as in 13s, 14s and 15s New had more or the same number of teams as Kings this year, so I wonder what will happen to the TAS teams when N play K.

There would still be a 3rds comp - but it would seem that it won't have 9 teams. New won't be in it if TAS fit into their draw as 3rds. Not sure how and where Grammar and High will fit in. My sources are in the field.

IS may have more info on Grammar.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My understanding is: steady as she goes but the Jo boys threw their rattles out of the pram and refused to have their 3rds play anywhere other than where their 1s are.
TAs take over new's responsibility for playing the game for the game's sake rather than as part of the advertising budget.
NIS the idea of grammar having the ability to influence the rugby ambitions of those who have discovered a more recent rugby pedigree is quaint.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This new arrangement seems more of a dog's breakfast than the previous 3rds model that Joeys in particular resented. One assumes that an 8 team 3rds draw that includes two schools who aren't in the 1sts and 2nds draw will present just as many logistical issues as a 9 team thirds draw. Everyone's 3rds, 5ths, Bs, Ds and Fs will still have to play Grammar and High teams every week, with the added farce of TAS being incorporated into the Newington fixtures.

Just so Joeys can have everyone at home together?

EDIT: And if I've understood this new arrangement correctly, Newington will never play Grammar or High.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think your edit must be right, although there might be the odd ad hoc game when the New 3rd team (if and for as long as there is one) might need to find a comparable opponent which might be grammar/high's 2nd team.
If this is the model then it bears even less relationship to the traditional AAGPS comp of the White Australia Policy era and is opening the door to combining with CAS - just as happens in non traditional sports.
So something good may yet come of it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
To be fair to Joeys they do have the most logistical problems as they have the largest number of teams. Organising opponents and then getting teams to those fixtures must be an organisational nightmare for the SJC rugby master, although it's sad to read they won't/don't want to go to Armidale. The thirds comp these last few years has been competitive and riveting.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
To be fair to Joeys they do have the most logistical problems as they have the largest number of teams. Organising opponents and then getting teams to those fixtures must be an organisational nightmare for the SJC rugby master, although it's sad to read they won't/don't want to go to Armidale. The thirds comp these last few years has been competitive and riveting.

I am a Joeys supporter but I have to say I am disappointed if it's true that two rounds will be abolished particularly after the last season which had to be one of the best ever.

If there has to be one round then I am also a great believer that the other competitions should be brought in somehow (if they are keen) or the whole thing "GPS" will die a natural death. Not saying I have worked through all the issues (I know there are a lot who say it's not that simple) but maybe a play off series at the end at the very least. Times are changing and like anything for survival then you need to move with them or die.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am a Joeys supporter but I have to say I am disappointed if it's true that two rounds will be abolished particularly after the last season which had to be one of the best ever.

I believe that two round comp produced so many injuries that its abolition, presumably for other reasons, will not be a completely bad thing.
I assume Athletics will expand to fill the presumably shorter season.

Status
Not open for further replies.