• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortAndFlat

Frank Row (1)
Not sure about Max Burrows at four he has pace! I say give him a run at 11 or 14 just a suggestion? But then again been a while since i played and the game has changed a lot since then i must say. - Builtwright

Couldn't agree more builtwright!!!!! Burrows has some serious toe and a great rugby brain, could take max sinclair or ralph mitchell's spot? I hear mitchell was a bit distracted from the rugby season this year. definitely back the shore boys to be serious dark horse contenders next year.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
We would really like to hear the opinion of the GPS people re the CAS thread page 7 on the idea of spreading the schools comp.
Apparently the head masters of 5 CAS schools said yes and 1 said no, so because it wasn't unanimous,the result was a NO, which many of us find unbelievable!
Your thoughts please!

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just quietly, I think Shore was pleased with the development across all age groups. The win against Riverview was a large breakthrough.

No doubt they were pleased. The celebration after the Riverview win had me convinced they'd won the premiership. However I am unsure if a stronger year group has been confused with development of the coaching process as the team had the cattle to do much better than they did. Therefore in losing 12 of their 15 players I won't be surprised if they lose every game in the 2017 suffering through the same coaching process. Remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
We would really like to hear the opinion of the GPS people re the CAS thread page 7 on the idea of spreading the schools comp.
Apparently the head masters of 5 CAS schools said yes and 1 said no, so because it wasn't unanimous,the result was a NO, which many of us find unbelievable!
Your thoughts please!

This idea was kicked to death in the 2016 GPS thread....some like the idea some did not. I'm in the "did not like" camp.

I think its dangerous to further concentrate power, resources and talent in the private school comp to the detriment of the other associations.

Do it and watch the Hotel California thread go into melt down!

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Your thoughts please!
I am guessing Aloys.

Can't see any great benefit in it for them, just another 6 teams to put cricket scores on them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This idea was kicked to death in the 2016 GPS thread..some like the idea some did not. I'm in the "did not like" camp.

I think its dangerous to further concentrate power, resources and talent in the private school comp to the determent of the other associations.

Presumably those that played in the top comp could do what they liked.
I am guessing Aloys.

Why?
They would actually be better aligned with the GPS schools who would come into their sphere - i.e. those who finish above 35th 40th in the HSC list.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Presumably those that played in the top comp could do what they liked.

Why?
They would actually be better aligned with the GPS schools who would come into their sphere - i.e. those who finish above 35th 40th in the HSC list.
I was only guessing who was the stickler. Pretty sure it wouldn't be Knox or Waverley.

So was the proposal to abandon the thirds comp?

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
This idea was kicked to death in the 2016 GPS thread..some like the idea some did not. I'm in the "did not like" camp.

I think its dangerous to further concentrate power, resources and talent in the private school comp to the detriment of the other associations.

Azzuri, my thinking wasn't to create a new super comp.it was to cut the home/away games in half,thereby allowing more GPS , CAS and CIS pre-season game interaction. Each association would still have its own comp.as it currently stands based on 1 round.
Others think something different but surely these possibilities are worth thinking through and testing,it can't be that hard.
Imo playing the same team twice can be boring and by playing more schools you would presumably be playing against more different styles.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Azzuri, my thinking wasn't to create a new super comp.it was to cut the home/away games in half,thereby allowing more GPS , CAS and CIS pre-season game interaction. Each association would still have its own comp.as it currently stands based on 1 round.
Others think something different but surely these possibilities are worth thinking through and testing,it can't be that hard.
Imo playing the same team twice can be boring and by playing more schools you would presumably be playing against more different styles.

Not sure why any school that is so heavily biased towards self interest, tradition and protecting the status quo would consider such an idea. What's in it for them? .... and at the end of the day we are back to the private school system getting all the lollies. Hardly spreading the love or being egalitarian.

If there was a need to change then I'd be an advocate for the associations to start the season on the same date and remain playing in their own comps. At the end of the season first and second from each association would then go into a pool competition which progresses into to quarters, semi's and finals and then national finals. To the winning association/state go the spoils and from that comp they pick Australian Schoolboys. IMO this would be a far sight better than having three four or five sets of selectors who don't even speak to each other trying to distill the top talent through the fractured and incestuous system we have now.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Not sure why any school that is so heavily biased towards self interest, tradition and protecting the status quo would consider such an idea. What's in it for them? .. and at the end of the day we are back to the private school system getting all the lollies. Hardly spreading the love or being egalitarian.

If there was a need to change then I'd be an advocate for the associations to start the season on the same date and remain playing in their own comps. At the end of the season first and second from each association would then go into a pool competition which progresses into to quarters, semi's and finals and then national finals. To the winning association/state go the spoils and from that comp they pick Australian Schoolboys. IMO this would be a far sight better than having three four or five sets of selectors who don't even speak to each other trying to distill the top talent through the fractured and incestuous system we have now.
Azzuri, yes that is my point, there ARE some good alternatives available.
Your suggestions are well worth thinking through.
I am not intentionally excluding other schools but there is a point somewhere where logistics come into play. Perhaps the public schools follow a similar format and compete at the end of their comp.in a finals showdown.
This type of higher profile competition should be good for Union.
What I do know is that the ARU seem careless and the wallabies are trying I am sure, but we just aren't cutting it.
This is about promoting the game, like our competitors the round ball and funny shaped ball!

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Presumably this musing is with a view to providing the ARU with more and better cattle.
Despite the marketing spiel prospectuses of some schools that is not the schools' function nor the purpose of school sport.

true @IS.....only ruminating on the option of a different structure to assist in the ID of potential professional talent coming out of the schools system.

IMO the sad truth seems to be that the schools system in all its guises account for the majority of the cattle that go on to graze in the ARU top paddock so its only natural that schools try to leverage this perception as part of their marketing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think a lot of the lambasting of Williams arises from the fact that he hijacks the true purpose and meaning of school sport by prohibiting 1st XV aspirants from playing any other sport, from what I hear.
That makes rugby under him not really a sport but a marketing ploy, just as it has become at some other schools.

Or an ego trip?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
true @IS...only ruminating on the option of a different structure to assist in the ID of potential professional talent coming out of the schools system.

IMO the sad truth seems to be that the schools system in all its guises account for the majority of the cattle than go on to graze in the ARU top paddock so its only natural that schools try to leverage this perception as part of their marketing.

Well with a clean slate I reckon what you do isa you work out areas of NSW so that they all have roughly the same number of male (and female for female rugby) players U 18.
Then you have teams from all the various schools eligible for these zone teams - the zones would be smallish.
And so far as possible they play each other within zones and then a zone team is selected to play other zone teams.
Of course (1) the private schools won't cede their responsibility to the ARU and (2) the ARU do not have the wherewithal to implement such a system.
As to (1) my impression is that this is exactly what happened with the infiltration of AFL into some of the schools.
As to (2) :(

Element

Frank Row (1)
I hear Shore are getting new sports facilities at the school. Will the boys have access to their gym during this time? And if not will this affect their training?

Status
Not open for further replies.