• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The preseason games have finally revealed the flavors of the GPS. While some have made some changes to style and presentation, many are still sticking to tried and true recipes. These are mainly due to sponsorship pressure to continue using imported ingredients and others are due to blind stupidity that they don't realize that the world has moved forward and you cannot simply rest upon the laurels of the past offerings. Those teams that have dared to be adventurous I feel wilt yield results in the long term.

ROUND 1

Shore v Joeys
The Shoremen are too proud, too stubborn to simply walk away from the 1st XV competition. While in the past their offering have been enjoyed by all, the simple fact is that their main ingredient in their Beef and Curry pie simply does not have enough bite. Yes, there is that subtle hint at times of something spicy but not as much to really turn the heads of the opposition. Joeys though have found a balance inspired by country community. A bush lad from Gilgandra will tell you that it can be impossible to catch a spring lamb just before the slaughterhouse bell rings. Hence of late we have seen Joeys adopt a more lively recipe with plenty of hoof work and spring in the back line. Their Lamb and Guinness pies may do the trick with a nod to the fighting Irish. If only the blue heelers mustering the sprightly backs could show more bite and drag the buffaloes of TSC and KINGS down to the ground. Joeys by at least 25 cutlets.

lambs.jpg

Scots V Newington
The Dark empire continues to spread terror throughout the universe and communities have cowered before their Black Pudding Mystery Pie. The ingredients of this secret weapon used for the past five seasons have yet to be fully revealed and only those brave rebels who have stuck their heads up have given a glimpse into the science labs..I mean kitchens at Bellevue. While the stumble against Auggies was a blip on their road map to total world domination, the other games have provided those keen viewers of Steppa's video with some small glimpses into their possible weakness. While not quite the size of an access vent, Joeys and Kings showed at times Scots can be vulnerable to a quick step and smart ball work. Scots are a like an Imperial walkers, HUGE and relentless but a smart coach would see that if you can bring them down to the ground, they are not as effective. Cut the offloads out, ruck more and swing those quick Newington backs into gear and you may, just may, pull off an upset. Newington, the wild Wookies of the GPS, will give a great showing as they have now settled well and the Pork Pie with Chicken and apricots may surprise. Scots though by at 10 blasters.

350px-All_Terrain_Armored_Transport_in_Star_Wars.JPG

Kings V Riverview
The Lords of North Parramatta will be confident this weekend. Tooraks tractors will be shiny, picnic baskets will be full and the Moet will be chilled. All preseason their form has shown that the Ceremonial Pigeon pie has caught the imagination of the Hills faithful. While a celebrated recipe which provides much for the viewer, it can though be heavy on the stomach and make a larger grazier son slow down in those last quarter of the game. This is where I feel St Ignatius may steal it with their Tasmanian scallop pie which has been only recently adopted. Many will under estimate View to their peril. The Lane cove lads love the underdog status which has been honed over many generations when competing with the Aloysius lads for the ladies at Lorette and Monte. View will only improve and this first game comes just at the right time as a more settled kitchen I feel will yield an upset this weekend. View by a 5 scallops and chips.

pigeon-pie.jpg

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
The preseason games have finally revealed the flavors of the GPS. While some have made some changes to style and presentation, many are still sticking to tried and true recipes. These are mainly due to sponsorship pressure to continue using imported ingredients and others are due to blind stupidity that they don't realize that the world has moved forward and you cannot simply rest upon the laurels of the past offerings. Those teams that have dared to be adventurous I feel wilt yield results in the long term.

ROUND 1

Shore v Joeys
The Shoremen are too proud, too stubborn to simply walk away from the 1st XV competition. While in the past their offering have been enjoyed by all, the simple fact is that their main ingredient in their Beef and Curry pie simply does not have enough bite. Yes, there is that subtle hint at times of something spicy but not as much to really turn the heads of the opposition. Joeys though have found a balance inspired by country community. A bush lad from Gilgandra will tell you that it can be impossible to catch a spring lamb just before the slaughterhouse bell rings. Hence of late we have seen Joeys adopt a more lively recipe with plenty of hoof work and spring in the back line. Their Lamb and Guinness pies may do the trick with a nod to the fighting Irish. If only the blue heelers mustering the sprightly backs could show more bite and drag the buffaloes of TSC and KINGS down to the ground. Joeys by at least 25 cutlets.

lambs.jpg

Scots V Newington
The Dark empire continues to spread terror throughout the universe and communities have cowered before their Black Pudding Mystery Pie. The ingredients of this secret weapon used for the past five seasons have yet to be fully revealed and only those brave rebels who have stuck their heads up have given a glimpse into the science labs..I mean kitchens at Bellevue. While the stumble against Auggies was a blip on their road map to total world domination, the other games have provided those keen viewers of Steppa's video with some small glimpses into their possible weakness. While not quite the size of an access vent, Joeys and Kings showed at times Scots can be vulnerable to a quick step and smart ball work. Scots are a like an Imperial walkers, HUGE and relentless but a smart coach would see that if you can bring them down to the ground, they are not as effective. Cut the offloads out, ruck more and swing those quick Newington backs into gear and you may, just may, pull off an upset. Newington, the wild Wookies of the GPS, will give a great showing as they have now settled well and the Pork Pie with Chicken and apricots may surprise. Scots though by at 10 blasters.

350px-All_Terrain_Armored_Transport_in_Star_Wars.JPG

Kings V Riverview
The Lords of North Parramatta will be confident this weekend. Tooraks tractors will be shiny, picnic baskets will be full and the Moet will be chilled. All preseason their form has shown that the Ceremonial Pigeon pie has caught the imagination of the Hills faithful. While a celebrated recipe which provides much for the viewer, it can though be heavy on the stomach and make a larger grazier son slow down in those last quarter of the game. This is where I feel St Ignatius may steal it with their Tasmanian scallop pie which has been only recently adopted. Many will under estimate View to their peril. The Lane cove lads love the underdog status which has been honed over many generations when competing with the Aloysius lads for the ladies at Lorette and Monte. View will only improve and this first game comes just at the right time as a more settled kitchen I feel will yield an upset this weekend. View by a 5 scallops and chips.

pigeon-pie.jpg

Love it. So you and wristy are both pickling a View upset (by 5 points). Distinctly possible.

A number of potential rep spots also on the line in that game. Should be a craker.

Hopefully someone will be able to post some score updates during match.

"Mike Wazowski", "JuanBarn", you guys still getting out to the Kings games?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Would also be good if people could post pics of team lists (1s and 2s if possible) from match day programs.

I will post for Scots v Newington tomorrow.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joker you crack me up!

Until now I had never thought of Bellevue Hill as the Dark Empire (ok maybe just a little bit) and Scots as Imperial Walkers. Nor had I thought of Newington as Wookies.

I nearly choked on my Protein Shake in preparation for this weekends matches.

Joeys by 40 + over Shore.
The Imperial Walkers by 21 over the Wookies. Love to see the New backs string some phases together but the Empire is strong.
Kings narrowly over View. If the ground is heavy in the middle, I doubt we will see the best out of the View backs. If it was a dry track I agree View could surprise

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
he must be in the Australian schoolboys team either starting at Hooker or coming off the bench. For me id have him as one of the first picked for the Aussie schoolboys team this year.

Wow, steady on Footymate. I love your passion and you may well be right but there's a lot of footy to be played next week before I would support your view.

Reckon the GPS Front row might like to challenge your thesis. Also Jack Winchester from AICES who played Aust Barbarians last year, may deserve some incumbency not to mention players Nth and Sth of the Border.

Step 1 CAS I selection, Step 2, NSW I, NSW II or CS selection. Beyond that lets see.

By the way given there will be 6 Hooker spots where he may be eligible for selection to play at the Australian Schools championships, I would anticipate him being there. As to who he is playing for too early to tell.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Wow, steady on Footymate. I love your passion and you may well be right but there's a lot of footy to be played next week before I would support your view.

Reckon the GPS Front row might like to challenge your thesis. Also Jack Winchester from AICES who played Aust Barbarians last year, may deserve some incumbency not to mention players Nth and Sth of the Border.

Step 1 CAS I selection, Step 2, NSW I, NSW II or CS selection. Beyond that lets see.

By the way given there will be 6 Hooker spots where he may be eligible for selection to play at the Australian Schools championships, I would anticipate him being there. As to who he is playing for too early to tell.

Agree. It's a big pond.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180622-130327.png
    Screenshot_20180622-130327.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot_20180622-130936.png
    Screenshot_20180622-130936.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 196

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Does anyone know if there is a GPS season preview being posted this year? CAS had one and the Comp starts tomorrow. :oops:

I would have a stab at this, but I am exhausted after round one preview and am now kicking back with the junior bakers drinking cheap white wine and enjoying a lovely bacon, chicken and leek pie. Wine at 11am? Well it is cocktail hour in Las Vegas.

476022-1-eng-GB_creamy-chicken-leek-bacon-and-thyme-pie-470x540.jpg

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)

what player was this in reference of?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
.... I think you might see Tom Aveyard start at 13 next week after today’s game at HH, Darcey Clifton’s place in under 16 team has been filled by under 15 player not sure of his name but he’s a future talent, he won’t be elevated this season ...
RH, you are a “seer” of thangs! Well done.
With Aveyard and Rugless, the Scots “channel” will certainly have some starch* tomorrow for New to have to deal with!

* Shamelessly stole the expression from Rich_E! So good. A totally worthwhile purloining! ;)

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
RH, you are a “seer” of thangs! Well done.
With Aveyard and Rugless, the Scots “channel” will certainly have some starch tomorrow for New to have to deal with!

Will be Aveyard's first full (run on) game of 15s in 2018 - got injured in Scots 7s, I believe.

He was Presidents A XV #13 last year.

My understanding is that Scots backline in now at full strength, for first time in 2018.

Means Mason is now 10 in 2s. I thought he was playing great, but such is the depth at S this season.

Still two forwards out due to injury, both 2nd rowers - King who hasn't played since Waves game and Brial, who I have heard is out for the season.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joker you crack me up!

Until now I had never thought of Bellevue Hill as the Dark Empire (ok maybe just a little bit) and Scots as Imperial Walkers. Nor had I thought of Newington as Wookies.

I nearly choked on my Protein Shake in preparation for this weekends matches.

Joeys by 40 + over Shore.
The Imperial Walkers by 21 over the Wookies. Love to see the New backs string some phases together but the Empire is strong.
Kings narrowly over View. If the ground is heavy in the middle, I doubt we will see the best out of the View backs. If it was a dry track I agree View could surprise

If the ball ever made it along the New backline without a pass behind, above or along the ground I think that the New wingers could do some damage.