• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Comp - Round 6
Well, it’s the business end of the season with only two rounds to go.

Kings v Joeys @ Gowan Brae

Following their 17-7 win over Riverview last week, Joeys remain undefeated with two rounds to play. They travel to Kings for their last away game and while Kings have not had a great deal of success in recent matches, they will lift for their final match this season on the magnificent JS White Oval.

TAS v Scots @ Armidale
TAS have now had four wins in a row and will relish a second week at home. It’s Reunion Weekend (congratulations to TAS on their 125th Anniversary) so expect a big home crowd. Scots had a confident 24-3 win over Kings last week, so this promises to be a great contest that TAS will need to win to stay in touch with Joeys and Riverview.

Riverview v Grammar @ Lane Cove
Riverview will be disappointed to have suffered their first defeat last week at Hunters Hill, but they are certain to bounce back against a Grammar side that scored a one point 8-7 victory over Shore last round. This game is at Lane Cove, so Riverview will have their vocal home crowd drumming them to victory and Grammar will need sign language for their lineout calls!

High v Shore @ Centennial Park
I said it was going to be close, and it was - Shore were beaten by a single point at Grammar last Saturday and it is an indication that they are finding form late in the season. High were beaten in Armidale, but are not far off a win either. This match in Centennial Park should be another close contest.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There is the key to this game. The venue. Scots supporters do not travel as they normally get lost west of the cross city tunnel and heaven forbid they cross the Harbour Bridge. Newington at home, with all the rightfully so celebrations, will only lift the team to perform in front of their faithful students and rowdy old boys. In fact, I am almost tossing up forgoing a trip to Parramatta to head into town and see this game. It will be a cracker. Also, the pork roll and outstanding BBQ has nothing to do with it too.

150 years of Newington rugby, last home game of the season, Back to Newington Day (mandatory attendance for the whole school) and a cracking day of rugby. What more could anyone ask for?

I'm told the Tongans have been told to order an extra pig after running out last year (I'm one of the ones who missed out)

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
150 years of Newington rugby, last home game of the season, Back to Newington Day (mandatory attendance for the whole school) and a cracking day of rugby. What more could anyone ask for?

I'm told the Tongans have been told to order an extra pig after running out last year (I'm one of the ones who missed out)

Sounds like a tough assignment for Scots. I'm sure there is also some unfaded memories of the infamous 100+ drubbing of New a few years ago that still needs to be paid back in full.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In 1863, the first formal rugby football club was formed at Sydney University.[8] In 1869, Newington College was the first Australian school to play rugby in a match against the University of Sydney.[15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_union_in_Australia

Although rugby union had yet to be codified in the UK (1871), where different clubs / schools / universities played under heir own rules often, and it was a long way from rugby, as we know it. But yes. And it was, and is, SUFC, not RFC. Did they actually call it a game of Rugby at the time? Curious. I love history!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Although rugby union had yet to be codified in the UK (1871), where different clubs / schools / universities played under heir own rules often, and it was a long way from rugby, as we know it. But yes. And it was, and is, SUFC, not RFC. Did they actually call it a game of Rugby at the time? Curious. I love history!

Newington College was the first school to play rugby back in 1869 with a twenty-a-side game against Sydney University on Newington’s home ground at Silverwater.

https://insites.newington.nsw.edu.au/sport/winter-sport/rugby/

Interestingly the original Newington College building from 1863 still stands at Silverwater, but is within the grounds of Silverwater Gaol, as would be the ground upon which that first rugby game was played.

It probably would have been called 'football', rather than rugby or even rugby football. Even the AAGPS shield for what is now referred to as rugby is a trophy for 'football'.

• 1st Grade School Challenge Trophy Presented by the President and Vice Presidents of The New South Wales Rugby Football Union first award in 1986 replacing an earlier shield
  • 2nd Grade W.S.Corr Shield. The Shield also has AAGPS 2nd Grade Football engraved on it. It was first presented in 1913.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAGPS_(NSW)_Rugby

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Checked the Sydney Uni site before I put up my question, cyclo. The soccer club's name is "Sydney University Soccer Football Club". Amusing.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Going to place a few predictions for this weekend, see what you men think.

Match of the round – Newington vs Scots
This will be an all-out battle. Scots and their large, tireless forward pack vs Newington and their fast, clinical backline. Newington will dominate early and potentially have a big lead in the first half, but will tire severely and Scots will find good go-forward through the piggies and steal a few back towards the end. However, I think Newington’s lead from a double to Latu will be too much to mow down for a fast finishing Scots. I like Brian Smith, always have and he’s done a great job with this side but their backs let them down with errors at crucial times. Newington by 12.

Joeys vs Kings
Yet to see Kings really fire this season and they have been on the wrong-end of this unpredictable season. Connolly will be flawless as always, Goldsmith will push more than what he should in the scrums but Joeys will be too fit and clinical. Their relentless back row holds a major key over Kings. Joeys may get done out wide for a few tries with Sua'ali'i giving Moretti and O’brien some trouble in defence. It won’t be convincing, but I believe Joeys by 8 - they’re just too good.

Riverview vs Shore
I’ll be at this game and would love to see Shore put some pressure on Iggies. They will be valiant as always and I love seeing them grit it out but I won’t be surprised if we see a clinic from the View men, potentially a hat-trick for Clark with Bowen and Albert swinging it wide. View by 12 at half time, but blow out to 35.
Good luck to all

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry lads. Been a tad busy this week with catch ups with some old mates
Plus a reunion hang over the size of Brazil didn't help.

Joeys v Kings
Joeys by 12 with Kings stunning early and then Joeys wake up. They have the firepower to run down teams as they have done twice this season already against New and View. Kings at home is tough but Joeys have won away this season and the backline is just lethal from 10 to 15.

Scots V New
At Stanmore, the Tongan terrors will prevail with plenty of heart being shown due to the celebrations. Scots will give it their all, but a fired up Newington will be hard to hold. Newington by 10

View v Shore
My eternal prayer that Shore gets a win is still be answered and it must be that I was a very naughty girl in one my past lives. I just hope Shore can muster the passion needed for 70 minutes and make us all beleive again that God loves under dogs and occasionally makes them win. Shore by 2.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Going to place a few predictions for this weekend, see what you men think.

Match of the round – Newington vs Scots
This will be an all-out battle. Scots and their large, tireless forward pack vs Newington and their fast, clinical backline. Newington will dominate early and potentially have a big lead in the first half, but will tire severely and Scots will find good go-forward through the piggies and steal a few back towards the end. However, I think Newington’s lead from a double to Latu will be too much to mow down for a fast finishing Scots. I like Brian Smith, always have and he’s done a great job with this side but their backs let them down with errors at crucial times. Newington by 12.

Joeys vs Kings
Yet to see Kings really fire this season and they have been on the wrong-end of this unpredictable season. Connolly will be flawless as always, Goldsmith will push more than what he should in the scrums but Joeys will be too fit and clinical. Their relentless back row holds a major key over Kings. Joeys may get done out wide for a few tries with Sua'ali'i giving Moretti and O’brien some trouble in defence. It won’t be convincing, but I believe Joeys by 8 - they’re just too good.

Riverview vs Shore
I’ll be at this game and would love to see Shore put some pressure on Iggies. They will be valiant as always and I love seeing them grit it out but I won’t be surprised if we see a clinic from the View men, potentially a hat-trick for Clark with Bowen and Albert swinging it wide. View by 12 at half time, but blow out to 35.
Good luck to all

Will be surprised if Latu plays, he dislocated his shoulder last week against shore.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Match of the round for me is Newington v Scots. Both sides have plenty to play for - Scots to set up a grand final playoff with Joeys in the last round, while a Newington victory would give them a shot at a joint title. Newington by 7

Joeys have been consistently good all year, but the penultimate round of the GPS is often where the hopes of the undefeated are dashed (remember Kings last year lost this round at Stanmore against a Newington team who were struggling). Suspect that Joeys will still be too strong - injuries from the Riverview game could possibly slow them down. Joeys by 10.

Riverview will be out to redeem themselves after last week's loss, while Shore will give it a go as usual. Hard to see Shore troubling Riverview though. Riverview by 30 plus.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Match of the round for me is Newington v Scots. Both sides have plenty to play for - Scots to set up a grand final playoff with Joeys in the last round, while a Newington victory would give them a shot at a joint title. Newington by 7

Joeys have been consistently good all year, but the penultimate round of the GPS is often where the hopes of the undefeated are dashed (remember Kings last year lost this round at Stanmore against a Newington team who were struggling). Suspect that Joeys will still be too strong - injuries from the Riverview game could possibly slow them down. Joeys by 10.

Riverview will be out to redeem themselves after last week's loss, while Shore will give it a go as usual. Hard to see Shore troubling Riverview though. Riverview by 30 plus.

My apologies QH, but work commitments prevent me from covering and reporting any matches. If you could do the Honours, which I am know you can do with elegance, professionalism and Objective. I am also sure some Scots supporters wouldn't be backward, particularly, if they win the match in making a commentary as well.

Also, did you get the Newington Rugby News Letter,I feel they did a good job covering the Shore Matches.

Kind Regards

B&W

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Joker where is the domination photos this week ? We don’t always see eye to eye but I do look forward to your posts .......

Here we go for tomorrow :

The Little Battlers from Bellevue Hill late in second half with the benefits of our “air conditioned” gym will prevail by 12
The boys in “pink at parramatta” by 12
The Blue and White skim milk drinkers from lane cove over the blue and white Armond milk skim latte drinkers from North Sydney by 16
Joker I’m hoping the Tongan army will have the Pig on the spit going at Stanmore could be a season winner ........ good luck to all teams tomorrow ........

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
IMG_0870.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joker where is the domination photos this week ? We don’t always see eye to eye but I do look forward to your posts ...

Here we go for tomorrow :

The Little Battlers from Bellevue Hill late in second half with the benefits of our “air conditioned” gym will prevail by 12
The boys in “pink at parramatta” by 12
The Blue and White skim milk drinkers from lane cove over the blue and white Armond milk skim latte drinkers from North Sydney by 16
Joker I’m hoping the Tongan army will have the Pig on the spit going at Stanmore could be a season winner .... good luck to all teams tomorrow ....
Just get in early. I missed out last year.
tongatapu-tonga-jan-10-2014-260nw-1281379285.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.