• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
1sts - Newington 29 def Trinity 14
2nds - Newington 57 def Trinity 5
16A - Newington 55 def Trinity 15
15A - Newington 72 def Trinity 5

No scores available for 14A or 13A

14As lost 24-26 to Trinity, well done to trinity for this result

13As went to Newington 41-0, but it was a really tough game for our boys despite the score. We have some brilliant young backs in the 13As who made something out of nothing. Nor is talent confined to the As the 13Bs won 59-0 and their play was equally creative.

EDIT: NB rowers did not play for Newington today in any age group

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^Rob Egerton's ongoing work with the 13As team and the 13s age group has been critical to the improvement of the Newington rugby programme. The school is so lucky to have someone of that calibre who wants to work with the 13s age group.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Rob, great to see that we can agree on good food. Looking forward to another season of sensational AAGPS food. I have heard that there will be slow cooked pulled pork roll at Riverview this year.

Scots 7's..Good atmosphere and was able to catch up with a few old Scots mates today who still speak to me despite my cerise and blue one eye. It was good to enjoy the sunshine. They just need a bar like they do at Hunters Hill. Well that is what you get with Presbyterians. Hope the Newington day v Trinity went well. Looking forward to their pork roll later this season.

It was a great day, first I am not one for the food, but the Newington barbecue has the Big Newie, a steak, egg, bacon and a sausage. That was my lunch. So I fully recommend the Big Newie.

The Newington win over Trinity was a hard earned affair. At 19-14 the game was in the balance.New cover defence left a lot to be desired in the first half. But the game got into full swing in the second half with the New backs showing pace that ensured more tries.

I found Newington's style of play, a real break from the past of Bash and Barge. Instead, it was more like watching a Randwick Team play Running Rugby.and that made it so enjoyable to watch. With a number of players out, Newington will building up as team, with real potential to be a force, in the forthcoming GPS season. This new style of play could prove to be surprise, for other schools expecting a Physical bash and barge game from Newington.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^Rob Egerton's ongoing work with the 13As team and the 13s age group has been critical to the improvement of the Newington rugby programme. The school is so lucky to have someone of that calibre who wants to work with the 13s age group.

Hello QH
Well he is certainly earning his pay cheque, I saw the 13Bs win over Trinity and the speed, discipline and precision of ball delivery, to the backs at the breakdown was very impressive and when one considers, this was the first game of the season it was an excellent effort.

With the 13As, Trinity fielded a big side that was not short on skill, strength or determination. Yet, Newington 13As were imaginative in attack, with some good supporting play between the players.Most striking was the individual initiative of players to see an opportunity and and run with the Ball. I suspect most of the Newington 13As tries were scored by their backs. In this regard the win was one of skill rather than strength. In strength and size both teams were on par with each. But the Newington backline made the difference and the score.

16As are still improving with some excellent tries and I suspect will continue to improve on their performance from last year as the 15As. I believe 4 players from the 15As were promoted into the 16As for the Game against Trinity.

As for the 1st and 2nd XV performances, they were characterised by tries being scored out wide with the ball in hand. As mentioned previously and noticed by you, the Rugby Program at Newington, is doing wonders with increasing high quality performances by the boys across the age groups.Although, we never match Joeys in depth of teams, I believe we can provide excellent opposition for them and may steal some matches from them, with our top teams.

Just on the final score I counted 34-14 to Newington in the firsts, but that might be in error. If we could have some confirmation as to the score, would be most appreciated. Again, were all of Newington's tries scored by the backline. As this seems to be an emerging trend throughout Newington Rugby.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
View are flying a bit under the radar .... however definitely capable of matching it with the GPS heavyweights .

And surely their luck has to improve on 2018. Goal posts falling over?!

Joeys snatching victory in the half light

Riverviews 2019s Front row and back row are all quality. Plus Schmidt is back locking scrum

Lachlan Albert (9) last years gps 2nds is front runner for higher honours... having leapfrogged into Aussie schools

Altgh in terms of title aspirations...not convinced view has the depth of other schools

Waverley 2nds accounted for View... albeit Waverley 2nds aren’t too shabby

Footnote: Really like Jack Bowen(10) ... no fear, the pedigree and all round game... and will be interesting to see how he fares against more experienced 10s

Attachments

• FA4A8A00-AC41-4DF7-8EDD-CD9BCF3250A1.jpeg
    FA4A8A00-AC41-4DF7-8EDD-CD9BCF3250A1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 434

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Before this all begins, let me present to you all the updated AAGPS Rugby Premiership Records as complied by me in 2018 with the assistance of school archivists from SJC, TKS and SIC. This took me many months and has now been passed along to each school.

8e22bf3070666aa3f6fdfd253074f878--rugby-sport-rugby-club.jpg

Enjoy.

Attachments

• GPS Rugby Premiership History 1892 onwards.011.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 1,687

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
does anyone know how this Academies business works, and how the representative teams for the newly named "Australian Schoolboys and U18s" are selected, and when?
The whole rep scene for schoolboy rugby is a dog's breakfast, and has been for a long time now. In the old days (ahem), rep teams were picked on form AFTER the regular season had been completed. Now boys are basically selected on reputation based on the previous year's efforts or some other mysterious and non-transparent process. This often leads to anomalous and bizarre selections, leaving some players of merit weeping and gnashing their teeth.
Are GPS, CAS and ISA players selected in academies? I see that letter from Tim Cleary the President of the ASRU that I found confusing and gobbledygook - a very poor attempt from a person in authority whose communication skills are sadly lacking. He seemed more interested in skiting about his credentials than actually and clearly articulating the process.
All info gratefully received...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just on the final score I counted 34-14 to Newington in the firsts, but that might be in error. If we could have some confirmation as to the score, would be most appreciated. Again, were all of Newington's tries scored by the backline. As this seems to be an emerging trend throughout Newington Rugby.

Once they got the combinations going in the last half of 2018, the Newington backs in teh 1sts scored some magnificent tries. I think all are back this year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
does anyone know how this Academies business works, and how the representative teams for the newly named "Australian Schoolboys and U18s" are selected, and when?
The whole rep scene for schoolboy rugby is a dog's breakfast, and has been for a long time now. In the old days (ahem), rep teams were picked on form AFTER the regular season had been completed. Now boys are basically selected on reputation based on the previous year's efforts or some other mysterious and non-transparent process. This often leads to anomalous and bizarre selections, leaving some players of merit weeping and gnashing their teeth.
Are GPS, CAS and ISA players selected in academies? I see that letter from Tim Cleary the President of the ASRU that I found confusing and gobbledygook - a very poor attempt from a person in authority whose communication skills are sadly lacking. He seemed more interested in skiting about his credentials than actually and clearly articulating the process.
All info gratefully received.

As I understand it, anyone who is under 18 can be selected in the team, whether or not they are at school.

My assuption re the academies is that they will have the opportunity to participate in the Aust Schools Championships, but this isn't really clear so I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Touring games tomorrow afternoon

Newington 1sts v Whangarei Collegiate School NZ

Newington 15As v Kings Christian School Southport.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Shore announces new Head Master, Dr Timothy Petterson. Had time at Kings.

Anyone know him? Any ideas on his likely support of sporting program in particular rugby?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
This is what I has been passed onto me by a friend who had a child finish there in 2017.

Tim is part of the Evangelical, fundamental Anglican movement which is close to the Sydney Diocese.
Big on the Crusaders group.
He encouraged all manner of reflective, individual sports.
We should expect SHORE to become the #1 in the AAGPS in interpretative dance and synchronized swimming.
Not very big on team sport I'm afraid but is popular with parents and the kids.

https://www.spcc.nsw.edu.au/port-stephens/our-story/meet-the-school-principal

StPhillips_Day01_0163.JPG

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is what I has been passed onto me by a friend who had a child finish there in 2017.

Tim is part of the Evangelical, fundamental Anglican movement which is close to the Sydney Diocese.
Big on the Crusaders group.
He encouraged all manner of reflective, individual sports.
We should expect SHORE to become the #1 in the AAGPS in interpretative dance and synchronized swimming.
Not very big on team sport I'm afraid but is popular with parents and the kids.

StPhillips_Day01_0163.JPG

Business as usual.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Shore announces new Head Master, Dr Timothy Petterson. Had time at Kings.

Anyone know him? Any ideas on his likely support of sporting program in particular rugby?

Anybody appointed to a leadership role by the Sydney Archdiocese of the Anglican Church would have been chosen on religious grounds first with other qualifications being secondary. The archdiocese controls the councils of all of these schools (including Shore) and is heavily dominated by evangelical christians. Non GPS/CAS Anglican schools in Sydney go further and even require teachers to be a member of an evangelical church to get a job.

Tony George at Kings is the son of an Anglican minister.

Tim Bowden at Trinity is an ordained Anglican minister

John Collier at St Andrew's is a member of Chapter of St Andrew’s Cathedral and Lay Canon of the Cathedral

You'll note that in the link provided Dr Pettersen didn't use the words academic or sport once in his welcome to the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.