• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Let's stick to Rugby talk, please

As mentioned in previous posts, Scots will have much the same backline next year as they've had this year and a few boys even coming back for 3 years. Talented but is it attitude/coaching that is the problem ? What will change next year ? I feel there are deeper problems/questions to be solved at the Death Star before everyone gets on the Scots bandwagon for 2024.

Saturday's round is Huge. Every game is important and if results go certain ways could set up a great last 2 weeks. View are firming with the punters.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
B3FC921F-81CF-44A2-9F58-0644DAFCB46F.jpeg

Conor Dempsey

Bob McCowan (2)
Let's stick to Rugby talk, please

As mentioned in previous posts, Scots will have much the same backline next year as they've had this year and a few boys even coming back for 3 years. Talented but is it attitude/coaching that is the problem ? What will change next year ? I feel there are deeper problems/questions to be solved at the Death Star before everyone gets on the Scots bandwagon for 2024.

Saturday's round is Huge. Every game is important and if results go certain ways could set up a great last 2 weeks. View are firming with the punters.
Watching the game on the weekend I feel like Scott's really lacked in structure.

They are 15 great individual atheletes with tremendous talent that struggle to come together in harmony to create a team.

The Demo :p

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Just to add

This season we have had a number of excellent contributions from students. They have given me hope that the future is in good hands. We do get moments when the wind blows and a swarm of trolls descend upon our green lands. With patience and Cyclopath’s big club we deal with them and they soon leave. There are responsibilities when you sign up and it takes a great level of self control to not fall into that deep dark hole of mockery and name calling.

Thank you to all who are staying the course and ignoring chattering class on the sideline.

just to add

I do not have powers to ban. I may be the Prince of darkness but my powers are purely ceremonial.

Last edited:

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'll have a crack at the predicted Scots 1XV for 2024.

1. Joel Jacobs
2. Elliot Sainford
3. Tom Duddy
4. Finnlay Bartlett
5. Charlie Barber
6. Harry Gianoutsos/Angus Newman
7. Charlie Ulcoq
8. Toby Brial
9. Geoff Hughes/Max Patterson
10. Max Soepono
11. Jay McKenzie
12. Onitoni Large
13. Zac Fittler
14. Aidan Gow
15. Leo Jaques

The one I'm probably weary of is No. 6. Harry Gia is a great defender and really throws himself in everything but maybe lacks size. Gus Newman has been terrific for the thirds this year and a huge part of their go-forward.

Could also see Cody Clarke and Harry Harrington fit in the prop position or maybe even this flanker position.

And the hooker is also another one but he seems like the next person in line.

Let me know of any changes, open to criticism.
Ontini could be playing 10 next year at Scots which would open a position up for Will "snowy" Johnson. Cooper Guerin and Joel Jacobs will be the prop's.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 5 – 29 July
Round 4 saw Scots remain as the only undefeated team in the competition after their comprehensive defeat of Riverview. Shore upset Grammar at Weigall, and Grammar now sit one loss back. Joeys and Kings both had good wins but are also off the pace at this stage.
Round 5 sees more crucial games with only three rounds left in the competition.

Shore 3rd XV v Scots 3rd XV
This has to be match of the round. Scots remain undefeated following their impressive win over Riverview last week. Shore upset the previously undefeated Grammar last week and cannot be underestimated at home. The dynamic Scots pack will come up against the resolute Shore defence that held on so well last week at Rushcutters Bay. Shore need to nullify the Scots pick and drive to gain a good share of possession, and capitalise on their speed out wide. Scots will be confident that their ball retention and multi-phase play can win the day. It will be a great match, and I am leaning towards a narrow Scots victory.
Scots by 3.

Riverview 3rd XV v Kings 3rd XV
After suffering defeat at Bellevue Hill last week, Riverview host Kings at Lane Cove. Kings are coming off a solid win over TAS and absolutely need to win this match to stay in touch with Scots. Riverview are likely already too far back to retain the shield, but a win here will keep a glimmer of hope alive. Riverview go well at home, but I think Kings are on the rise and should be favoured for a narrow win. Riverview might even let INP in to watch the game.
Kings by 2.

High 1st XV v Grammar 1st XV
It’s the Annual Battle of the Selective GPS Schools as Grammar travel to Centennial Park to challenge High. High are coming off a loss to Joeys last week and Grammar will be wanting to rebound from their loss to Shore. I think on balance Grammar will be too strong in this fixture, but I am impressed that High have put some points on the board this year and are not a pushover for visiting sides.
Grammar by 10.

Joeys 3rd XV v TAS 1st XV
TAS travel to Sydney for the second week in a row, this time to play Joeys at Hunters Hill. The other Joeys teams will be at Newington so it will likely be a small crowd present for this game on Joeys #1. All things being equal, Joeys should have a comfortable victory, but the TAS matches against Joeys are always close contests. Nevertheless, an important match for Joeys who sit two losses back from Scots.
Joeys by 10

Regards
INP

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watching the game on the weekend I feel like Scott's really lacked in structure.

They are 15 great individual atheletes with tremendous talent that struggle to come together in harmony to create a team.

The Demo :p
Firstly, View are an excellent team make no mistakes. In fairness to Scots, they had a few training sessions and few back from long injuries and things just didn't gel for them. It takes time to build up connections and timing.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
THURSDAY is TIPSDAY!

Time is running out. As always, no tips and you will be given the away team which this week looks pretty strong.
It is the margin tipping where the points are. You pick the exact margin you get 10 points, with 5 above the margin you get 5 points.
Tipping trends are seeing some strong backing for View and Shore who are smelling another win against the pig squeezers.

Good luck

View attachment 17009
View 7
Joeys 20
Shore 10

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Game_Day_Ritual

When you say "it takes time to build connections and timing ", that's my point about bringing boys up to opens too soon. I know that the young Scots backline are very talented and they will be great next year however if they had played together in lower age group one more year, gained confidance and smashed all the other schools , then they go to opens the connections you are talking about would be stronger and the results may be better. I'm not only talking about Scots but teams in general. 1 or 2 exceptionally talented boys yes, promote them up but not half the team. Obviously tha't's my opinion and there are more ways of skinning a cat and winning a premiership but team chemistry and team confidance is very very important.
As I've asked, what will change next year for Scots if the same players are in the backline ? Yes they would have had a year in opens which is huge experience, but there may be deeper problems.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Scots just don't get AAGPS footy.

TAP
As someone who worked within the halls of Scots College for 14 years I have an insight. I feel it may come down to culture.

i believe that there is an air of predestination that wafts across Bellevue Hill. Personally I have seen plenty of outstanding Scots players in my years but I feel work ethic to push past the AAGPS powerhouses was not as good as it should be. When it comes down to a tight situation it is determined not by who’s daddy has the biggest house in Whistler or what trust fund you will inherit but down to the amount of pain and sweat you gave to get here. Short cuts do not always work. Scots should have won premierships when I was but I felt it was the culture of “turning up is good enough” that denied them success. Schools with half the resources and access to the latest scientific medical advances beat the Lions with simple heart (and time clocks).

I continue to enjoy many Scots friendships since leaving and my thoughts above are shared by other old school staff.

Best wishes to the Rampant Lions this weekend.

Last edited:

BoysfromtheBxW

Peter Burge (5)
Now that everyone is talking about 2024 lineups does anyone know any u15 players that will play firsts next year? There’s always a few.

BoysfromtheBxW

Peter Burge (5)
THURSDAY is TIPSDAY!

Time is running out. As always, no tips and you will be given the away team which this week looks pretty strong.
It is the margin tipping where the points are. You pick the exact margin you get 10 points, with 5 above the margin you get 5 points.
Tipping trends are seeing some strong backing for View and Shore who are smelling another win against the pig squeezers.

Good luck

View attachment 17009
Kings +6
Joeys+5
Shore+4

AAGPSSUPPORTER

Frank Nicholson (4)
As someone who worked closely at Scots I feel it may come down to culture.

i believe that there is an air of predestination that wafts across Bellevue Hill. Personally I have seen plenty of outstanding Scots players in my years but I feel work ethic to push past the AAGPS powerhouses was not as good as it should be. When it comes down to a tight situation it is determined not by who’s daddy has the biggest house in Whistler or what trust fund you will inherit but down to the amount of pain and sweat you gave to get here. Short cuts do not always work. Scots should have won premierships when I was but I felt it was the culture of “turning up is good enough” that denied them success. Schools with half the resources and access to the latest scientific medical advances beat the Lions with simple heart (and time clocks).

I continue to enjoy many Scots friendships since leaving and my thoughts above are shared by other old school staff.

Best wishes to the Rampant Lions this weekend.
WELL SAID. Hard work or a contact within the system. Scots to the Fore.

Status
Not open for further replies.