• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Badger

Stan Wickham (3)
Can't tip Newington even though they'll get a huge crowd ( once a year !) for their reunion day. I hope they can beat Scots but can't see it on current form. Scots want to end well and build for next year with their young superstar backs. I can see a cricket score but hope it's close. New have always been able to score tries but their defense lacks cohesion and planning. Will be a good day at Stanmore for a feed.

I've been very happy with my View team. As I've said before, they are buidling for next year with a solid 16's group. Hopefully they'll finish the season well but Shore will push them.

Kings should be crowned undefeated premiers ( not champions ) unless Joeys turn it on. Joeys need to go forward all day. I think they have the cattle but they seemed to go away from that last week against View, kicked the ball away too often and went side ways too early. View loved it and defended this well. If they do the same against Kings, Kings wil put a score on them.

Hope all the yr 12's have a great Saturday, enjoy your last game representing your school, be respectful of your opposition and play hard but fair
and good luck in your studies !!
Sharples a huge out for Joeys as well. But that Joeys team will be massively motivated, like Scots who haven't had the best season if you can push the premiers and maybe jag a win or draw you'd feel like you've salvaged something.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Stating the obvious :

Huge game 2nd XV kings v Joeys for the premiership decider. Have not seen either team so thoughts.

Double Badger

Stan Wickham (3)
A comment re the Kings team, obviously big, powerful and very talented, but its easy to overlook how well drilled they are, they have been the best counter ruck team I've seen in a while. You have to be absolutely commited if you want to retain your own ball against that pack. Then if they get a possession advantage watch out.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 7 – 12 August
Well, it’s the final round and what a round it will be. Firstly, congratulations to Scots who last week guaranteed at least a share of the 3rd XV premiership with their sixth win in a row. They remain undefeated to date and can become Undefeated Champions for the first time ever with a win over Grammar this Saturday.
Congratulations too go to Grammar for getting to the final round as the only team that can topple Scots. Grammar have lost just one game this year can share the premiership with Scots if they win this Saturday. So regardless we will have a new name (or names) on the Col Windon Shield after it was jointly shared by Riverview and Kings last year.
There are two other matches in the battle for the minor placings. Joeys travel to North Parramatta to play Kings in a battle for third place and that will be a good contest. And Riverview host Shore at Lane Cove where both teams are well back in the competition playing for pride. TAS and High have the final week off as they played their competition round 7 match early in the season.

Scots 3rd XV v Grammar 1st XV
Match of the Year for the premiership. The undefeated Scots team host Grammar at Bellevue Hill. Scots have the opportunity this week to achieve something that no other Scots 3rd XV team has ever done and that is to win this premiership outright. Unfortunately for them, the rest of the school is playing at Newington, but I trust they will have an early game and plenty of support at Bellevue Hill before everyone heads off to Stanmore. Grammar have a chance to upset the party and share the premiership with Scots. But they will need to win away against an undefeated team and that won’t be easy. Scots have looked the goods all year with excellent continuity, retaining possession and capitalising with great tries. Grammar did exactly the same last week against Kings– starving Kings of possession and notching up five excellent tries. This will be a cracking game and I am almost reluctant to tip a winner, but I am predicting that the undefeated Scots team will complete the season with a final win at home to claim the Championship outright.
Scots by 2.

Kings 3rd XV v Joeys 3rd XV
Joeys now sit in third spot on the table after their excellent win over Riverview last week, whereas Kings are coming off a tough loss to Grammar. This match at Gowan Brae will be a good contest between two evenly matched teams and an excellent curtain raiser for the 2nd XV premiership decider between Kings and Joeys. I think Joeys can win this final 3rd XV round based on their much improved form against Riverview, but it’s a big day for Kings and the school will be hoping for a clean sweep on JS White Oval.
Joeys by 7.

Riverview 3rd XV v Shore 3rd XV
Riverview and Shore are finishing the season well off the pace, even though they have had their positive moments. Both teams sit on three wins and three losses, so this looks like the battle for the mid-table placings. Riverview hand back the Col Windon Shield, but a final win here would be a good end to the season. Shore need to bring the form that they demonstrated when they beat Grammar, but they had a close battle against TAS last week and I think Riverview will be too strong at home.
Riverview by 5.

Good luck to all players for the final round of the competition.

INP

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree Double Badger,

Their work at the breakdown is second to none. They very rarely give up their own ball and win 20-30% of the opposition ball which gives them plenty of ball to mount pressure. It is a skill at the breakdown and they have been coached very well. Their maul is ok. Line outs and scrums hold their own but Breakdown is theirs. Joeys will have to throw a few more bodies into the ruck to hold onto possesion and Joeys don't like that generally. Kings counter rucking will hurt them and if sustained Kings will win fairly comfortably. A premiership team bounces back after a poor performance and I think they will want to finish the season with a good win in front of their home supporters. Scots had some big boys last week and withstood Kings power. Scots boys kept it tight and played smart. Kings may have had a lapse in concentration after the View game but don't think it will happen Saturday

sofooty2110

Bob McCowan (2)
A comment re the Kings team, obviously big, powerful and very talented, but its easy to overlook how well drilled they are, they have been the best counter ruck team I've seen in a while. You have to be absolutely commited if you want to retain your own ball against that pack. Then if they get a possession advantage watch out.
totally agree with you, Kings are mostly praised for individual talents such as Hadley, Austin and Boston, I was really impressed with Scots' performance, showing what their true potential could have been this season. Oh well, unlucky Prem comes to PARRA!

Scared of Scots next year though.

KOB1989

Frank Row (1)

I don't think the Kings dominance at the break down has been as good as it has been. I think the opposition now knows that Durbridge is exceptional over the ball and probably won the joeys game in Round 1 with the final pilfer. He hasn't had great opportunity in the past few games particularly in the first half of the View game and the Scots game. PARK and WAIT have also been good this year over the ball. I also don't think many teams have really contested the Kings breakdown instead spreading their defence to try and stop the forward pack and outside backs. I think it you watch the replays you will see some of the Kings forwards defending an uncontested breakdown. Maybe if joeys can spare the odd forward to counter ruck the kings pack it might force a few more errors or pressure at the break down. I look forward to seeing the battle again between Young and Durbridge as so far this year it is Durbridge 1 - Young 0. Joeys were unlucky last time and now have a number of key players back so will be interesting to see and think mentally Kings may not be where they were prior to winning the premiership and I think Scots showed that now injured players are back, the Kings team is beatable

Kings 2nd XV v Joeys will also be a great game. Everyone seems to focus only on the 1 team. There are number of Kings boys in the 2's that are clearly worthy of being in the 1's with much higher work rates than their counterparts. Should be a great game

EyesUpFootyFan

Allen Oxlade (6)
View Joeys 2021 at view is an overlooked game. View get off to a large lead, joeys come back to lead in the second, view score an absurd amount of phases after the buzzer (20+ I believe, does anyone know the actual number?) Great game of footy, similar to view barker that same year.

Frostiesview

Peter Burge (5)
other then the 1stxv game at Gowan brae.

Joeys vs kings 2nds will be maybe one of the best 2nd xv matches that we have seen ever. Plenty of boys both form joeys and kings could be 1s players at any other school.

The 16As and 4ths game will be quite interesting aswell, joeys 16As having lost many players to the 2nds while kings 16s age group continue to build. it should be a close one.

the 4ths both being undefeated to this point, but wow joeys have put on some big scores against schools like shores I heard 70? Kings will have there work cut out for them.

It seems as if the thirds will be joeys game to lose, this kings team is just lacking confidence.

Wolverine

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting you say this Joker - I reckon we would see some amazing fixtures.

I wonder how the Joeys or Kings 2nd XV would go up against this undefeated CAS 2nd XV side.
High could have a decent 1st XV at times in that era. In '88 View beat them and were one of the few teams to do so that season. Some of High's team had Def Leppard inspired hair like fifteen long-haired Friends a' Jesus in a chartreuse micra-bus.
Hey Rubber Ducky looks like we got ourselves a convoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.