• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

TheMaulester

Sydney Middleton (9)
Which year has had the strongest Shore 1st XV, my thoughts would be this years would have to be up there.
-Legs
In recent years it would be the 2022 side, narrowly beating Riverview, Scots and Newington, close games in which all three went down to the wire, however just losing to Kings at the dying moments and losing to the strong Joeys side of 2022.

Prior to Shore's rough patch in the 2nd half of the 2010's, the best team would be the 2012 team, which Newington won the comp that year and Shore lost by only 2 points (27-29) to them at Stanmore. The highlight video of that Shore team has got to be my favourite rugby highlight video of all time, hands down.

The 2009 team I believe ended up coming 2nd place, I'm pretty sure of that but cannot remember exactly, that was around the later years of the era when Shore was a prominent force in AAGPS Rugby, and success was something that was expected from them and not heavily celebrated, as it has been after Shore's 'rough patch', however good on their rugby program for turning it around, definitely something to celebrate.

Then you have the 2006 team that won the comp alongside Ignatius and Joeys in a three-way premiership, upsetting Kurtley Beale's Joeys team, which that game ended up making newspapers.

1908 is definitely top 3 Shore sides of all time. Although it was a long time ago, that team still gets discussed in the conversation 'what is the best Shore team'.

The 2024 team has definitely got a great chance to excel to become one of the greatest Shore teams in a very long time and be the best Shore team from the 21st century at least. Only time will tell. Looking forward to Saturday at the Swamp.

Last edited:

RushingRob

Sydney Middleton (9)
TIPPING COMP HAS CLOSED

I have limited time so I can handle chasing up only so many tipsters.
For those who missed out no worry, just share your tips and play along.
This season we have many new tipsters. Plenty of interest as well.

Wish everyone the best this season.

View attachment 18876
Sorry to disturb, but do you reckon you could show us the spreadsheet so we know who's in it?

Or is everyone who has shared their tips in it?

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Untitled.jpg

TheMaulester

Sydney Middleton (9)
Better an asylum than an incomplete faux Scottish castle. Riverview have the same building but ran out of money before they could put a tower on it. Newington looks like a poor man’s Harry Potter fantasy and Shore spent all their money on a stadium that faces the wrong way and preserved an ancient score board that hasn’t known victory in 20 years. Does Kings have a main building? Perhaps over in the very back paddock, IDK, it’s certainly not memorable. I’ll take the asylum.
While I recognise that this is a satirical 'dig' that is passive aggressive at schools besides Joeys, let me give you some insight that will hope to bring some clarity not just for you UpnUnder but the GPS rugby community.

I agree that the Shore stand does not face the field the best way possible. Considering Northbridge A ground is a cricket field, that already adds distance from the rugby field to the spectators, then the stand not being centered to the rugby field (stand is more towards the Southern end of Northbridge A ground) does not help. I can see why many representative games are held at Knox 1, the stand goes right up to the field and is perfectly in line with the field, as well as it has massive floodlights.

But you have incidentally alluded as to why the Shore stand was not built more in line to the field; because of the classic score board. If they were to make the Grand stand as centered to the rugby field as possible, that would likely make it hard for many to view the score board, which its a 'no-brainer' to prevent that. And they don't renovate the score board because it is quite historic, as it's been there for a long time. I believe you are mistaken in saying that it 'hasn't seen victory in 20 years'. Shore won at Northbridge in their most recent game, but the most recent GPS win their is Riverview 2 years in a row in 2022 and 2023.

I believe the school did not spend all their money on that Grand Stand. They have been saving up for the newly built Grant Centre at North Sydney since it was propositioned in the 1990's and left space underneath the old gymnasium to benefit future construction. Just a shame that many of the GPS rugby community do not get to see that Shore can make facilities that could almost please everyone, especially when one of the architects is old boy and former wallaby Al Baxter.

JoeMarshall67

Frank Row (1)
TIPPING COMP HAS CLOSED

I have limited time so I can handle chasing up only so many tipsters.
For those who missed out no worry, just share your tips and play along.
This season we have many new tipsters. Plenty of interest as well.

Wish everyone the best this season.
Despite missing the deadline, I'll join the fun, with this week seeming one of fine margins.

Scots by 8
Shore by 6
Newington by 5

Cheers,
JM67

Forwardpack101

Frank Row (1)
They all play in the halves. Could maybe move Joe to fullback but can't accomodate all 4 in the starting line up
Blank 9
Conti 10
Walsh 12
Woods 15

unsure of wings and 13 but this is a lethal spine to the backline. I also can 100% agree with runningrugbyrules. Mitchell Woods is the best player in schoolboy rugby in the country. His kicking game coming out of the swans academy is second to none partnering Conti who has an immaculate kicking game. And Woods pace which defenders have to make decisions around just can’t be coached he is a constant threat and will potentially be starting in an NRL jersey next year first year out of school. If Walsh Conti and Woods were in a GPS system the rave over these three would be ridiculous but being seen in the ISA they are slightly overlooked

Rookie21

Ted Fahey (11)
While I recognise that this is a satirical 'dig' that is passive aggressive at schools besides Joeys, let me give you some insight that will hope to bring some clarity not just for you UpnUnder but the GPS rugby community.

I agree that the Shore stand does not face the field the best way possible. Considering Northbridge A ground is a cricket field, that already adds distance from the rugby field to the spectators, then the stand not being centered to the rugby field (stand is more towards the Southern end of Northbridge A ground) does not help. I can see why many representative games are held at Knox 1, the stand goes right up to the field and is perfectly in line with the field, as well as it has massive floodlights.

But you have incidentally alluded as to why the Shore stand was not built more in line to the field; because of the classic score board. If they were to make the Grand stand as centered to the rugby field as possible, that would likely make it hard for many to view the score board, which its a 'no-brainer' to prevent that. And they don't renovate the score board because it is quite historic, as it's been there for a long time. I believe you are mistaken in saying that it 'hasn't seen victory in 20 years'. Shore won at Northbridge in their most recent game, but the most recent GPS win their is Riverview 2 years in a row in 2022 and 2023.

I believe the school did not spend all their money on that Grand Stand. They have been saving up for the newly built Grant Centre at North Sydney since it was propositioned in the 1990's and left space underneath the old gymnasium to benefit future construction. Just a shame that many of the GPS rugby community do not get to see that Shore can make facilities that could almost please everyone, especially when one of the architects is old boy and former wallaby Al Baxter.
The new Grant Centre at Shore is world class. It is out and out the best indoor sporting precint in the GPS.

UpnUnder

Sydney Middleton (9)

Soz, seems I caused you some upset. I understood why the grandstand faced the wrong way but thanks for explaining for everyone else. I also understood you hadn’t run out of money. The colour coded fund raising of the school is famous from the slopes of Balmoral to the heights of Cremorne.

InsiderScoop

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have been thoroughly surprised by View's number 5 this season. He is a strong tackler and has a great running ability. it feels as though no one has looked at Riverview's forwards this season, so with that, i think he could definitely be playing GPS 1s or 2s if he works hard enough and has a good season, even with the immense competition in the forwards in the GPS.

Has anyone else seen this?

Cheers,

AG
Phoenix Graham. Great player, sadly Sydney Uni will scoop him up.

InsiderScoop

Sydney Middleton (9)

Great building, wish every school had it. Do pay attention to the mates rates and the repairs that are already required...

RushingRob

Sydney Middleton (9)

I think he might of meant premiership victory, not just beating Riverview twice.