• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

ItsNotPink

Alfred Walker (16)
3rd XV Trial 2 Report
Only four matches played on the weekend due to the adverse weather so still hard to predict the form leading up to the 3rd XV competition starting on 1 June.

St Augustines 2nd XV 10 d Joeys 3rd XV 7
I have always believed that playing teams of a higher grade in trials is excellent preparation for competition, and this match was the perfect example. A close contest in the wet with only three points the difference. While Joeys would be disappointed to lose this one they will front up well for future matches as they prepare for the season proper.

Scots 5th XV 27 d St Stanislaus 3rd XV 0
A good win to Scots 5ths while their 3rds played Scots All Saints. I think Scots will be starting the competition with some confidence in defending the premiership they won in 2023.

Shore 3th XV 12 d Knox 3rd XV 8
A good start to the season for Shore demonstrating that talk of improved depth at Shore is not just a rumour. Perhaps this is the year for Shore to make their presence felt in the 3rd XV competition.

Shore 4th XV 29 d High 1st XV 0
This result does not augur well for High in the upcoming competition. It has been recognised that their program has improved and strengthened in recent years and let's hope that's the case - they will be playing tougher teams than Shore's 4ths during this season.

A number of cracking trials next week as View host Shore, Scots host Kings, New host Joeys, Grammar host Pius and Oakhill host High.

INP

Last edited:

RushingRob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Few things to clear up...

Firstly, @Joker please count me in for the tipping comp, my tips are Scots +5, Shore +20, Newington +3. Cheers.

Scots 3rd XV 27 d St Stanislaus 3rd XV 0
I am not certain that this was 3rd XV v 3rd XV - someone else might know. A good win to Scots and I think they will be starting the competition with some confidence in defending the premiership they won in 2023.
Secondly, Scots 3rd XV was not playing Stannies 3rd XV, it was Scots 5XV, Scots 3rds played Scots All Saints

Lastly, Scots seconds & firsts were not real teams. Players like Toby Brial, Leo Jaques, Charlie Ulcoq, etc (the senior players pretty much guaranteed a spot in firsts), were rested, giving players in the thirds, seconds and firsts a chance to show themselves. They also mixed around combinations to test things out. For example, Cody Clark (1XV prop) played first half in the seconds & second half in the firsts, Tom Sinclair (2XV flyhalf) played a half in the seconds and the firsts. Still, probably should've won by more, but I'm sure the players weren't really treating it as a real game.

Cheers,

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Auggies who couldn't beat Japanese high school teams are 6th?
Try again
Auggies who beat Joeys 1s? Ya must feel stupid after commenting this. Auggies were the better team on the day. From what I've heard, it was 31-14 Auggies way at a point. Are we seeing a steady growth in ISA schools and the players they produce? Are they catching up? Time will tell.

@Joker count me in for tipping comp please, should be an interesting year this year in GPS, H&M schedule proves it.

ItsNotPink

Alfred Walker (16)
Few things to clear up...

Firstly, @Joker please count me in for the tipping comp, my tips are Scots +5, Shore +20, Newington +3. Cheers.

Secondly, Scots 3rd XV was not playing Stannies 3rd XV, it was Scots 5XV, Scots 3rds played Scots All Saints

Lastly, Scots seconds & firsts were not real teams. Players like Toby Brial, Leo Jaques, Charlie Ulcoq, etc (the senior players pretty much guaranteed a spot in firsts), were rested, giving players in the thirds, seconds and firsts a chance to show themselves. They also mixed around combinations to test things out. For example, Cody Clark (1XV prop) played first half in the seconds & second half in the firsts, Tom Sinclair (2XV flyhalf) played a half in the seconds and the firsts. Still, probably should've won by more, but I'm sure the players weren't really treating it as a real game.

Cheers,
Thanks RushingRob. Its a bit hard to tell from the AAGPS results so I appreciate the information.

OnTheSting

Frank Row (1)
Here we go....

View attachment 18859

Team on the left is the home team.
Here is how you post your tips
Just give the school and the margin in each game.
Example

Kings +6
Shore +24
Joeys +1

Then will enter into my tips record.
BTW....10 spaces left! Get in quick if you want to join.

Prize for 2024?
Lunch with Joker. My treat

View attachment 18860
@Joker I'll take a spot.

This round:
Scots +8
Shore +16
Joeys +3

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
They only won 24-12

ISA schools are good this year
Scots played a team of 2nd Xv vs there firsts, only 4-5 firsts player on at any given time. However, to give them credit, Stannies have improved across the board, program seems to be stronger than it was last year and the year before. Scots 16A's won 35-0, Stannies have improved very much in this age group, team looked quite different then it had been in previous years. Physical game which was very "overly reffed" imo. Scots lower opens dominated all day. Not sure about 13-15's.

BananaMan

Stan Wickham (3)
Auggies who beat Joeys 1s? Ya must feel stupid after commenting this. Auggies were the better team on the day. From what I've heard, it was 31-14 Auggies way at a point. Are we seeing a steady growth in ISA schools and the players they produce? Are they catching up? Time will tell.

@Joker count me in for tipping comp please, should be an interesting year this year in GPS, H&M schedule proves it.
Auggies played the game like it was a final, Joeys treated it as a trial. Having said that, Auggies played a great game led by the strategic kicking game of Auggies 10. Joeys will learn from this loss, they just gave away too many penalties and their poor passing let them down. Trials are trials, it's a different story when the competition starts and it appears this year is an open market. I think ISA is still a fair way behind GPS schools collectively though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
ISA v GPS will be a good game.

Backlines probably equal each other out or I give a slight edge to ISA with some of the talent at Oakhill and Pats. The Forwards are where GPS grind through others technically and with sustained effort. Especially when it seems every one of these games ends up a wet, cold night.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
Scots vs Kings this weekend should be a cracker, always is a good atmosphere/rivalry and has produced some classics (last years 21-21 draw, 2019 Kalo Kalo's miracle try, 2018 Kings win to kill Scots premiership hopes eg). Scots sure to be motivated to send a message to the GPS where Kings hope to continue their form which many did not expect. Match up of the week for me Fonua Vs Brial. Toby already cemented himself as one of the best players around, where Fonua will look to prove himself against the older Brial. Should be good.

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)

Auggies always has a fair bit of talent coming through, unfortunately a number of bigger schools use them as a breeding ground and a fair bit of that talent ends up on the north shore somewhere. For the boys who are serious about their footy i don' think the ISA comp is strong enough to keep them interested, or to regularly challenge the bigger schools.
Great win on Saturday, no matter who was playing for Joeys they take each game seriously.

TheBoogieMan

Frank Nicholson (4)
3rd XV Trial 2 Report
Only four matches played on the weekend due to the adverse weather so still hard to predict the form leading up to the 3rd XV competition starting on 1 June.

St Augustines 2nd XV 10 d Joeys 3rd XV 7
I have always believed that playing teams of a higher grade in trials is excellent preparation for competition, and this match was the perfect example. A close contest in the wet with only three points the difference. While Joeys would be disappointed to lose this one they will front up well for future matches as they prepare for the season proper.

Scots 5th XV 27 d St Stanislaus 3rd XV 0
A good win to Scots 5ths while their 3rds played Scots All Saints. I think Scots will be starting the competition with some confidence in defending the premiership they won in 2023.

Shore 3th XV 12 d Knox 3rd XV 8
A good start to the season for Shore demonstrating that talk of improved depth at Shore is not just a rumour. Perhaps this is the year for Shore to make their presence felt in the 3rd XV competition.

Shore 4th XV 29 d High 1st XV 0
This result does not augur well for High in the upcoming competition. It has been recognised that their program has improved and strengthened in recent years and let's hope that's the case - they will be playing tougher teams than Shore's 4ths during this season.

A number of cracking trials next week as View host Shore, Scots host Kings, New host Joeys, Grammar host Pius and Oakhill host High.

INP
Riverview 3rd XV (10) lost to St Aloysius 1st XV (15). The battle of the Jesuits!!

-- TheBoogieMan

HailMaryEnthusiast

Bob McCowan (2)
Here we go....

View attachment 18859

Team on the left is the home team.
Here is how you post your tips
Just give the school and the margin in each game.
Example

Kings +6
Shore +24
Joeys +1

Then will enter into my tips record.
BTW....10 spaces left! Get in quick if you want to join.

Prize for 2024?
Lunch with Joker. My treat

View attachment 18860

My tips Joker,

Scots by 9
View by 4
Joeys by 13

Think View could cause an upset at the Swamp.
HME

Soupnasty

Bob McCowan (2)

No Soup for you!
A big win for Auggies for sure... maybe the Japanese High Schools are now better than GPS schools.

tight5

Frank Row (1)
No discredit to kings at all with this comment they played a great game, I think what affected newington a lot is their missing year 10 props. Last week they made a monumental difference in the team adding strength to their not as strong forward pack.
Isaiah broke his nose in the first tackle against Scots and iliyaz left the field unable to walk yesterday against kings. But great game to watch
Newington just need to sort out couple of areas I thought. They had the more physical team which King's struggled with near the end

1. Set Piece - line outs 50/50 but had the stronger scrum, should've packed scrums, King's 2&3 were gassed
2. 10, 12, 13 needed to play direct a few more times

Jamie Hunt

Frank Row (1)
You can count out the new boys, they had limited opportunities and when the opportunities arose they took them (the majority of the time) there are a few things the boys need to work out however other than that they should keep their heads up high and keep building.

Also, have we got any news on Newington's other opens teams and how they are looking this season i.e. 4th, 5th?????

My tips joker
Scots +7
Shore +12
New + 10

scrumptious

Frank Row (1)
You can count out the new boys, they had limited opportunities and when the opportunities arose they took them (the majority of the time) there are a few things the boys need to work out however other than that they should keep their heads up high and keep building.

Also, have we got any news on Newington's other opens teams and how they are looking this season i.e. 4th, 5th?????

My tips joker
Scots +7
Shore +12
New + 10
Silverbacks are reportedly looking stronger than ever, and New signings are being released every day...