• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
SAC does have a great rugby team again this year.
Their brother school in Brisbane flew down to play them last week and went down to them by 2 try's after leading by 2 try's at half time.
The ex St Eddies management have improved their performance greatly over the last few years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Shore 19 Joeys 31 Trial [Half-time 5-12]

Joeys were under the cosh for a lot of the 1st half and had to defend their line repeatedly. Poor ball work by Shore ruined many chances and they came up with only one try for their efforts.

Immediately after oranges Joeys 15 Tegert ran through both teams from the back, linked with 10. Ashby, then supported him to score the try. Terrific stuff. Joeys put the hammer down after that but to their credit Shore came back with two maul tries before Ashby finished things off with a fine burst for Joeys' 5th try – to 3 by Shore.

Shore's strength was in the forwards and 3. Berkman led the way. In the backs 12. Giddey was a direct runner who was hard to stop every time he got the ball, which was not enough because his forwards hogged the ball. Also, big scrummie Merriman looked good on the snipe.

Joeys were good to watch on breakouts which were often orchestrated by Ashby, who played fullback last year and 12 before that, Some of the Joeys' goal kicking was poor but should get better when Walford is available.

After playing in the 2nd row last week 6 Williams, son of Wallaby Steve, looked good on the flank and on the other side 7 Bond had an excellent, hard, blue heeler game. But the star was ex-flanker and ex-winger – 2. Dicembre. He was everywhere on attack and defence.

Could it be that coach Boyd is creating another hooker who had been a backrower as Fitzpatrick was? If he is, he should give the new hooker one tip: he is supposed to hook the ball when his scrummie puts the ball in. Shore got 3 tight heads by striking for the ball and that is not a good look.

[In the earlier Twos game Joeys beat Shore 29-19.]

Cyril Towers (30)
Lee Grant said:

tahs win, Uni win, randwick lose, manly lose, reds lose and now this. Oh blissful day!
great write up once again, Lee. Boydey can certainly pick a good footballer and think outside the box when it comes to their best position. I remember when he picked Lachlan McCutcheon out of the 16Ds. He recognised that he chased everything and had a crack for the whole game. Just needed a bit of coaching about where to be and what to to do when he got there. Played Aus Schools a couple of years later. I have seen him turn backs into forwards and vice versa. Saffey, who is soon to join the Rebels is a celebrated case. Played front row for Aus Schools in year 11 (or was picked but didn't tour because of a broken leg) and then he plays him at no 8 the following year. When I asked him why, he said that he couldn't have a front row who ran 100m in a tick over 11secs!

S

skullring

Lee Grant said:

Joeys were under the cosh for a lot of the 1st half and had to defend their line repeatedly. Poor ball work by Shore ruined many chances and they came up with only one try for their efforts.

Immediately after oranges Joeys 15 Tegert ran through both teams from the back, linked with 10. Ashby, then supported him to score the try. Terrific stuff. Joeys put the hammer down after that but to their credit Shore came back with two maul tries before Ashby finished things off with a fine burst for Joeys' 5th try – to 3 by Shore.

Shore's strength was in the forwards and 3. Berkman led the way. In the backs 12. Giddey was a direct runner who was hard to stop every time he got the ball, which was not enough because his forwards hogged the ball. Also, big scrummie Merriman looked good on the snipe.

Joeys were good to watch on breakouts which were often orchestrated by Ashby, who played fullback last year and 12 before that, Some of the Joeys' goal kicking was poor but should get better when Walford is available.

After playing in the 2nd row last week 6 Williams, son of Wallaby Steve, looked good on the flank and on the other side 7 Bond had an excellent, hard, blue heeler game. But the star was ex-flanker and ex-winger – 2. Dicembre. He was everywhere on attack and defence.

Could it be that coach Boyd is creating another hooker who had been a backrower as Fitzpatrick was? If he is, he should give the new hooker one tip: he is supposed to hook the ball when his scrummie puts the ball in. Shore got 3 tight heads by striking for the ball and that is not a good look.

Not one of your best posts Lee, comparing Dicembre to Fitzpatrick seems to be very sensationalist and over excited, given that Ryan will be lucky to scrape into a gps 3s side this year, Gps really do have a wealth of hookers , with Roche no doubt the cream of the bunch followed by probably Tim reid, im excited to see how Ryan goes at hooker, i've always thought that to be his position, he lacked the fitness and slow twitch muscle fibres required to be a decent flanker as was seen in the back end of Gps season last year where he was basically non existent in a few matches i saw. Hooker could just be his calling since he used to be a winger, requiring a little bit more fast twitch muscle fibres and not as much of a work rate as a 7, good luck to him.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I hear Kings just beat View at the weekend. They have also beaten Scots a few weeks back. Do you think this puts the Kings boys as the favourites?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
skullring said:
comparing Dicembre to Fitzpatrick seems to be very sensationalist and over excited

I didn't compare them - you made a mistake. What I said was: "Could it be that coach Boyd is creating another hooker who had been a backrower as Fitzpatrick was? " Fitzpatrick was a backrower in Yr. 11 and a hooker in Yr.12. The same for Chombers.

I realise why you made the assumption you did without careful reading, but do you see where you made your mistake? I hope so, and that you learned from it. I make my fair share, I must admit.

Joeys 12 Scots 5

On that game neither side would frighten the other GPS sides this year. Some of the passing and catching of the ball from both teams would have embarrassed an under 12s side. Watching the game was like listening to fingernails being scraped along a blackboard. Only the uncompromising defence of both teams gave the match some merit.

Scots had every chance to win the match but turned over the ball too much at critical moments and the same may be said of Joeys opportunities to put Scots away.

In hindsight the difference in the result was a long run by 11. Josh Carolan. He zipped up the left hand touch after taking a long pass from 10. Ashby and zigged and zagged past tacklers to score an admirable individual try. Unfortunately the game lacked other examples of attacking prowess and defence won the day.

There were some good individual performances though: SJC 7. Bond played well again and both hookers Dicembre (SJC) and Moore (TSC) put down their markers to be the GPS hooker this year. Moore is probably the better open field runner based on that one game, but Dicembre is arguably the harder player and no slouch in the open either. GPS, and arguably NSW Schools, will be well served by either.

If there are other hookers in GPS, and in NSW for that matter, who are better, they will be very good indeed.

[In the earlier game SJC 2nds beat TSC 2nds 29-12]

Cyril Towers (30)
Thanks Lee. Good write up as usual.
It's funny, Joeys often struggle against Scots when they shouldn't, but usually get away with an ugly win.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

SJC need a good halfback because "Macca"" their ordained scrummie this year "did" his ACL, and neither the Ones or Twos no. 9s have risen to the occasion yet. There was a procession or poor passes from the ruck and set pieces today and Boydie has his work cut out.

As usual the Joeys forwards are doing their blue heeler impersonations, but that can only take a team so far.

PS I forgot to mention that the Joeys/Scots game was just a trial - the comp doesn't start until June 5th.

S

skullring

Lee Grant said:
skullring said:
comparing Dicembre to Fitzpatrick seems to be very sensationalist and over excited

I didn't compare them - you made a mistake. What I said was: "Could it be that coach Boyd is creating another hooker who had been a backrower as Fitzpatrick was? " Fitzpatrick was a backrower in Yr. 11 and a hooker in Yr.12. The same for Chombers.

I realise why you made the assumption you did without careful reading, but do you see where you made your mistake? I hope so, and that you learned from it. I make my fair share, I must admit.

Joeys 12 Scots 5

On that game neither side would frighten the other GPS sides this year. Some of the passing and catching of the ball from both teams would have embarrassed an under 12s side. Watching the game was like listening to fingernails being scraped along a blackboard. Only the uncompromising defence of both teams gave the match some merit.

Scots had every chance to win the match but turned over the ball too much at critical moments and the same may be said of Joeys opportunities to put Scots away.

In hindsight the difference in the result was a long run by 11. Josh Carolan. He zipped up the left hand touch after taking a long pass from 10. Ashby and zigged and zagged past tacklers to score an admirable individual try. Unfortunately the game lacked other examples of attacking prowess and defence won the day.

There were some good individual performances though: SJC 7. Bond played well again and both hookers Dicembre (SJC) and Moore (TSC) put down their markers to be the GPS hooker this year. Moore is probably the better open field runner based on that one game, but Dicembre is arguably the harder player and no slouch in the open either. GPS, and arguably NSW Schools, will be well served by either.

If there are other hookers in GPS, and in NSW for that matter, who are better, they will be very good indeed.

[In the earlier game SJC 2nds beat TSC 2nds 29-12]
Point taken, the competition for gps hookers spots in the lower grades will be fierce this year, with dicembre a flanker from gps 2s last year playing well by the sounds of things, plus tim reid who was gps 2 hooker last year still in the picture, Hugh Roche aus schoolboys as an under 17 last year will no doubt get the ones spot barring injury. The props i have seen running around in a few of the trials would put pretty much anything i have seen in the colts competiton this year to shame.
The front row in my eyes is pretty much set from what i've seen, the backrow i think making do from bond at sjc, and killingworth and connor at tks, but who are the second rowers putting their hands up, any tall timber? i'm looking forward to seeing what gps comes up with against the Chs lineout this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
skullring

My word - I didn't realise that Roach was back at school again this year. I must confess that it's an ongoing problem I have with schools rugby: not knowing which boys are in Yr. 11 or Yr.12. You can get a clue by looking up their names in the team lists from the U16 tournament the year before or the year before that if they played in those teams, but that doesn't help much with the Queensland boys who leave school younger.

Lads who are still at school know all these things but old codgers like me have no clue.

I note that the Scots no. 2, Clarrie Moore, was the NSW U/16 hooker last year.

But I guess that my statement: "If there are other hookers in GPS, and in NSW for that matter, who are better [than Moore or Dicembre], they will be very good indeed" is still valid, accidentally. Roach is very good.

skullring
- any idea if there are others from last year's NSW Schools I or II teams who are back at school?

And if there's any Queensland Schools fans out there - who is back from last year's teams?

I remember that the dad of the young Qld winger who was in the Oz Schools team told me his son was back at school - and Browning is back, but anybody else?

AD

Read was a reserve for both GPS II and GPS III last year.

S

skullring

Lee Grant said:
skullring

My word - I didn't realise that Roach was back at school again this year. I must confess that it's an ongoing problem I have with schools rugby: not knowing which boys are in Yr. 11 or Yr.12. You can get a clue by looking up their names in the team lists from the U16 tournament the year before or the year before that if they played in those teams, but that doesn't help much with the Queensland boys who leave school younger.

Lads who are still at school know all these things but old codgers like me have no clue.

I note that the Scots no. 2, Clarrie Moore, was the NSW U/16 hooker last year.

But I guess that my statement: "If there are other hookers in GPS, and in NSW for that matter, who are better [than Moore or Dicembre], they will be very good indeed" is still valid, accidentally. Roach is very good.

skullring
- any idea if there are others from last year's NSW Schools I or II teams who are back at school?

And if there's any Queensland Schools fans out there - who is back from last year's teams?

I remember that the dad of the young Qld winger who was in the Oz Schools team told me his son was back at school - and Browning is back, but anybody else?

AD

Read was a reserve for both GPS II and GPS III last year.
off the top of my head, jordan reid and hugh alexander knox, mali hingano and sam brisby from augies, atkinson from scots, dargaville from ccc made shadow squad , guy millar shadow, cant remember much more , oh and gordon broome

C

catchpole

The 3rd week of Sydney GPS trials have just concluded and I have seen Scots, 'View, Newington and Kings play.

Comparison is superficial due to the variety of preparation in pre-season, injuries and Trial philosophy of each school.

Scots backs were sharp and had planty of variation. The Scots Fullback was impressive. The pack was relatively small but mobile and I believe will struggle throughout the season.

Typicall the Riverview 1st XV has plenty of spirit and never gives up. They looked a bit slow around the paddock and unfit but had some fine individual players that lacked cohesion early in the season. The 'View halfback has planty of supporters but must have had a quiet day when I was present as the Kings half outplayed him comprehensively.

I am told that Newington has been working for quite a long preseason. The props are huge but unfit. No's 2, 8, 9 and 12 played very strongly in a losing side against Kings. Bannon the half inspired his team and worked vey well with his No.8 and inside center throughout the game. Newington props ran out of steam after about 30 minutes. The Newington hooker struggled to shine despite his ability and experience.

Kings have a number of players returning from last season and are still yet to get their full strength team on the field. The Kings 1st XV appears to be building towards a final combination that might finalise by Round 1. Other than the Newington captain, No. 12, Bannon at Half and the No. 8, no one caused them any serious issues. The score of 22-7 did not reflect the actual territory and possession percentages of the game.

'View narrowly defeated Shore 31-29 yesterady at Northbridge. Last week Joeys narrowly defeated Shore. Go figure!

Once again the 2010 season is shaping up to be very tight

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
catchpole said:
Last week Joeys narrowly defeated Shore.

Er ... I was there and the result 31-19 was not all that narrow.

Welcome aboard to the forum catchpole. You have a good username. In my opinion as an old codger he was the best Wallaby that ever was.

Thanks for the other info on the GPS teams.

C

catchpole

Good correction. I wasn't there and relied on Shore family reports.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Joeys are always well coached, worth watching and always turn up ready to play.

Joeys play Kings this coming weekend at Hunters Hill. This will be a very interesting contest.

C

catchpole

From the NSW Schools U.16 side of 2009 I have seen the following players in their respective school's 1st XV sides in Trials so far this season:

Mark Baldwin - 7 - TSC
Sam Barakat - 1 - TSC
Finlay McDonald - 10 - NC
Clarrie Moore - 2 - TSC
Nathan Roye - 13 - NC
Michael Wells - 8 - SIC (?)
Jock Merriman - 9 - Shore
Michael Freeman - 11 - TKS

Most of these players will be year 11 and therefore have two years in the Opens but I assume some are already in Year 12 and this is their only year to push for GPS and NSW Schools Selection.

Other players from that NSW Schools U.16 side of 2009 are playing in 2nd XV sides so far this season.

I cannot comment on players from any other competitions such as CHS or CAS.

Since the first GPS fixture of the Season is programmed for Tuesday 22 June 2010 selectors will only have two Rounds to compile the teams to play CAS.

As other members have suggested there are plenty of players from last year's GPS sides returning this year who are elligible for selection.

The younger players have to be something pretty special to crack it in Year 11.

I guess that's why the selectors get paid the big bucks!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Catchy, I don't think the various schools' selectors are paid anything, it's all-volunteer.

C

catchpole

Lindommer,

I agree, but I wouldn't take on that job for a million bucks.

The irony is that no matter how hard you worked to select a side, based on a blend of form and potential, you couldn't please everyone and would be subject to some pretty harsh criticism, even abuse.

Both selection and coaching are tough jobs.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Fascinating reading lads! So we have Kings v Joeys this weekend which should be a cracker. Which other teams are playing each other?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
St Josephs College Vs.
The Kings School College Oval Hunters Hill Status Referee AR1 AR2 No4 No5 TMO Referee Coach
1st XV Trial 15:15 Ok Harding, Dale Rydon, Anthony x x x x x
2nd XV Trial 14:00 Ok Rydon, Anthony x x x x x x
The Scots College Vs.
Shore School College Oval Bellevue Hill Status Referee AR1 AR2 No4 No5 TMO Referee Coach
1st XV Trial 15:15 Ok Copeman, Stephen Ford, Chris x x x x x
2nd XV Trial 14:00 Ok Ford, Chris x x x x x x
Newington College Vs.
Sydney Grammar School College Oval Stanmore Status Referee AR1 AR2 No4 No5 TMO Referee Coach
1st XV Trial 15:15 Ok Baird, Phil Van Der Westhuizen, Paul x x x x x
2nd XV Trial 14:00 Ok Van Der Westhuizen, Paul x x x x x x

Status
Not open for further replies.