• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Blindside

Newington 39 Joeys 29

After an early blitz Joeys led 12-0 and were looking good.

Newington regrouped and scored 34 unanswered points to have the game wrapped up early in the second half.

Joeys came home with a wet sail and scored some good tries but New were never going to lose.

This New team is nowhere as good as last years but they do have the size and power to overwhelm the other teams.

They haven't been playing particularly well but are able to lift a gear when they need to.

The New front row is just awesome - they are not just big (they are bigger than all the Super 15 front rows except the Cheetahs) but are strong and fit as well.

If this New team can play themselves into some form then someone is going to be on the receiving end of the mother of all hidings before the season is over.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

anyone noticing a recurring theme for Newington? starting out weak then building towards a dominant finish?

if they could start strong as well then i agree, they could be posting some cricket scores like they did towards the end of last season.

how did the other teams go?

T

The Blindside

I must say Joeys were a surprise.

Reading some of the posts over the last week about their small/young team I thought they'd get smashed but they are very well drilled and they have a go.

As an aside, Newington 13A's lost to Joeys in a hard contest but New won every other 13's game from the B's down to the G's. The New 13G's put 50 on Joeys.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I was going to go the the Riverview game but got persuaded by a Joeys parent at the last moment to go back to Stanmore for a second week.

My observations were;

New 2nds won 28 - 0. When did that last occur? The first team played much better I thought than last week. More organised and flowed better. Roods was quite spectacular at times. Very hard to stop. Tackling was excellent. I think they ended up with half the second team on the pitch towards the end. Agree with Blindside about cricket. At times you thought today that it was going to be 50+ again.

Joeys were a real surprise and they will win a number of games this year. They competed very well upfront and number 15 was superb. Imagine having Roods and the Joeys 15 in the same team! Joeys battled all day but were never going to win. They were way better than SHORE last week.

Parental and student behaviour was also much better than I experienced last week (SHORE) which was pleasing.

B

bighughie

Standout's for joeys were definately Gus lelevre(don't know the spelling) at 15, Covaic at number 5, and Murphy at number 7. Covaic made some good solid runs and murphy always had the chase. Small 5/8 Deegan of year 10 doing well to face up against the large Newington backs. But the day was lost in the Forwards with the New forward pack being unstoppabble once they got momentum, Front row for New are excellent.

What were the results of the other games?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
View v Kings:

Firsts: View 22 Kings 10
Seconds: View 25(?) Kings 7
16As: Kings 22 View 20

Firsts:

Kings began well and some good forward play saw Moylan (6) dive over to take a 5-0 lead. View struck back quickly with Dempsey(6) going over out wide to level things up 5 all. Thereafter it was all View for the remainder of the half. A converted try took them to 12-5 and a further try out wide saw them go to the break leading comfortably 17-5 but it should have been more as Kings weren't really in the contest after their reasonable start to the game. The second half was pretty dour with plenty of errors from both sides as well as bombed opportunities. An unconverted try a piece saw View prevail 22-10.

Other than Vilimaa at 8 Kings have quite a small pack and their 2 props Jones and Brister were monstered in the scrums by View's O'Brien and Kulen. Kulen (3) was very impressive around the park also. Kings centre Foteki was dangerous whenever he touched the ball but seemed to get cut out far too often for a player with good speed and excellent footwork. Stand out for me was View's 10, Jonathan Vaux - has a pretty slight frame but nice hands, good kick and excellent pass. Most importantly he reads a game beautifully and constantly set the View backline alight. Kings tried hard particularly in the second half but on what they showed today don't look like contenders in 2011.

Seconds:

The less said about this match the better. Kings were just comprehensively outplayed and indeed outclassed by View. View played very well and should have won by a fair bit more if some passes had stuck. With this King's team being beaten quite easily by New, Joeys and View in the trials looks like a long season for them whilst some of these View seconds players will put plenty of pressure on what is already a very good View firsts team.

U16As

Probably the pick of the games from an entertainment perspective with both sides willing to give the ball plenty of width and a very enagaging contest between their respective forward packs. Kings scored very early off an excellent rehearsed backline play that saw their 13 stroll through untouched for them to go up 7-0. A penalty took them to 10-0 before View struck back with a good try to get back in the contest 10-5. A further converted try to Kings after some sustained forward play saw them go to the break 17-5. By this time it was looking like Kings by how much as their backline play was simply outstanding with their fullback in particular making major inroads whenever he touched the ball and their no 10 contolling things very adroitly.

Oh what a different story in the second half with View scoring 3 unconverted tries through some very enterprising backline play and some horror errors by the Kings backs to take the lead 20-17 with 10 mins remaining. Kings regained their composure and their forwards started to reassert some dominance resulting in their 9 scoring a smart try to give them victory in a pretty enthralling contest. Kings have a great scrum and dominated there with their no 1 constantly popping the View 3. That said I thought that overall the View forwards were better at the breakdown with very good spoilers in their loose forwards that prevented Kings from getting much clean ball in the second half. Understand that Kings won the 16Bs 26-0 so it looks like they have some good depth in this age group.

chaz

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree with the previous thoughts about New this year. Today, they turned over a bit too much ball at the breakdown. They also allowed too many penalties i thought, but showed great patience (very unlike past New teams). Defence was good, holding back Joeys a few times on their line. The backline is hard to stop when they get set, particularly when they give inside passes to big, strong runners.

C

curtfactor

Reading some of the posts over the last week about their small/young team I thought they'd get smashed but they are very well drilled and they have a go.

As an aside, Newington 13A's lost to Joeys in a hard contest but New won every other 13's game from the B's down to the G's. The New 13G's put 50 on Joeys.

oeys 15a's put 85 on new, joeys 16b's put 60 on new, joeys 16d's put 53 on new b's/c's. there were 8 injury's in joeys 1sts and 2nds. WOW, i must go see those New 13g's..........

Q

QuadeCooperFan

why are you surprised? across the board Joeys is always the strongest, every year. the school as a whole seems to have the best win/loss ratio year in, year out.

this should come as no surprise to you. im actually surprised that the 13s age group from New won almost every game. Dont Newington teams from C grade down usually play lower grade teams? that might explain why they won so much in the 13s. If they were playing the proper teams eg New 13Cs vs Joeys 13Cs rather than their 13Ds then there's a good chance the result would've been different

F

Finland Fella

Seriously, how retarded are these old boys that they need to carry on like a bunch of half-cut fools at a schoolboy game to the point they have to look at the logistics of whether Police can or cannot attend, or the match has to be moved? Sounds like more than a few need to move on from school, so to speak.

Yeah, interestingly you don't see it happening at High v Grammar ... over to you Iggies and Joey's

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
QuadeCooperFan, I think you need to take a chill pill.

Look at the soccer stats over the last 15 years at SHORE and New and others. For the past 5 years at both(the aforementioned schools) there have been more soccer than rugby teams up to the U16s. For Joeys this has not been the case until recently.

U13 soccer at joeys today.....can you tell me how many Joeys soccer teams there were today against New? My understanding is that throughout the age groups Joeys had 1 more team than new.

So perhaps your 8.52 comment this evening may be looking towards the past.

T

The Blindside

why are you surprised? across the board Joeys is always the strongest, every year. the school as a whole seems to have the best win/loss ratio year in, year out.

this should come as no surprise to you. im actually surprised that the 13s age group from New won almost every game. Dont Newington teams from C grade down usually play lower grade teams? that might explain why they won so much in the 13s. If they were playing the proper teams eg New 13Cs vs Joeys 13Cs rather than their 13Ds then there's a good chance the result would've been different

The grading was Joeys call so the results were fair. Their 13B's were playing St Gregs 13 A's so they bumped all the New teams down by one.

Maybe Joeys need to show a bit more respect in future?

And for the record the New 13A team had both their star players injured - including the boy who scored 9 tries against Shore. If they'd been playing it would have been a clean sweep.

Joeys are still the benchmark for rugby excellence across all ages and grade but they aren't as dominant as they once were. As recently as five years ago New would be lucky to win 5 games out of a round against Joeys. They certainly did better than that today.

durkadurka

Peter Burge (5)
Chill out on the New vs Joeys stuff, really only about the 1sts and a lesser exent the 2s. And this is coming from someone who has played Middle Grade rugby at Joeys my whole time there.....

Really, all this stuff is just childish-get over it to both parties.
Reports on other games today anyone? If not then thoughts on next week? Joeys v View, SHORE v Kings and New v Grammar.

T

The Blindside

New are playing Scots at Stanmore next week ........ expect big wins by the New 1s and 2s

B

baldingwingforward

Anyone know the Shore v Scots scores in 1s and 2s?

And were Newington anywhere close to full strength today? Roods played i know that. Did any of the other stars return from injury?

C

curtfactor

...stanmore...2 mins in...1st scrum....joey's feed, new tighthead....ruh roh...

Yes and joeys challenged them in the front row especially in that scrum. The newington loose head doesnt take a bind too often resulting in a penalty to joeys in the second scrum. The joeys forward pack were at a significantly lower stance to put pressure and drive under the New pack, and considering the 90kg advantage they had in the front row, joeys put up an exceptional fight with good techique.

B

bighughie

oeys 15a's put 85 on new, joeys 16b's put 60 on new, joeys 16d's put 53 on new b's/c's. there were 8 injury's in joeys 1sts and 2nds. WOW, i must go see those New 13g's..........

Your information is wrong it was the 15B's that put 85 on New but the Joeys 15A's also won by a fair bit

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Match Report-

View 25 - Kings 10

I went to View to watch this excellent game of schoolboy rugby yesterday (especially for a trial!). While View were the clear winners, the actual game was a lot closer than the score alludes to.

The game started with a barnstorming try by the Kings boys, in what seemed to be only the first few minutes of play. It a try generated through the some excellent phase play from the big forwards and showed immediately what seems to be a key weakness of this View side, their organisation in defence when on their own try line. As a View old boy, I was worried this was going to be long game…

That thought didn't last too long as the View boys hit back soon after with a pie of their own. Followed by another in quick succession. The View boys had woken up and through what seemed to be, 85% possession, provided two tries through their lose forwards sniping around the ruck. The tries went to Michael Wells (No 8 ) and Jack Dempsey (No 6). I was quite eager to see this Wells lad play after the not so positive views on his ability, from this website. I realise this is the only game I have seen him in, but from this one outing I can say that I was positively astounded by his talent. He had a blinder and was easily MOM.

What was most astonishing about a player of his age is his decision making skills. While he made many tackle breaks, he was very weary never to get isolated, and always seemed to make the right decsision with ball in hand. He marshalled his team around the park very effectively and you can see that the entire team looks to him for direction. He very much reminds me of Dean Mumm from the King’s in 02 side.

From here, position seemed to remain with View which must have been very frustrating for the King’s backs. When they got a touch they looked very dangerous (much more than the View side) however their problem is their scrum half was providing atrocious service all game, limiting their attaching opportunities. From the limited look I got, the King’s 12 (Foketi) looks like a freak, He is big and runs fantastic lines. The other stand-outs seem to be the 15 (Atallah) and 14 (Behne-Smith), all who looked like GPS material. View are lucky the Kings 9 (Gregory) was not on form because the backline looks like it would have done some serious damage.

The View backline did not look so crash hot. While they did score a two tries (from memory), both came against the run of play from poor kicking by the King’s 10. The few backline moves they executed (also hampered by their own mediocre 9) ran into some serious brick walls, one in particular called James Stokes (13).

All that being said, there were a few kids with some real talent for View in the backs. One kid, wearing number 19 for the entire game looks to be a real future star. He alternated between wing, outside, and fullback throughout the game and looks identical to Quade Cooper. He even has the same haircut and side-step! He seemed to me, the perfect 10 and reminded me of an elusive Beale at this level. He was turning players inside out and was unlucky not to score a great try and dancing his way through the King’s backline.

At 17-5 the game looked to all View mid way through the second half, until one of the locks from View (sorry I cant remember who) was given a yellow card. With 14 men on the park Kings stepped up the intensity and scored another one through phase play on the line. It was now 17-10. With 15 men back on the field View again regained possession and were rewarded with a penalty from junior Quade (No 19) and another try on the buzzer. Game over.

Looking back at the game, View were the deserved winners on the day. They controlled possession and they took their opportunities. The major difference between the two sides seemed to be View’s loose forwards, in particular Wells and Dempsey who controlled the tempo of the game and really disrupted Kings’ ball at the breakdown and their 9’s service. If Wells plays the rest of the season like that, he should be a real chance as GPS 1 Captain. However, if he is to get injured, Views chances of winning this year are slim to none.

All in all, both teams have some great strengths and the rematch between them could go either way. My prediction would be that whoever is playig at home for the rematch will win between these two teams. Kings have a stronger backline, and pack which is better from scrumaging point of view. View have a much stronger pack at the line-out and a phenomenal Captain. View also seemed to be the fitter team on the park which was likely the telling difference out there yesterday, this will obviously change by the time they play eachother again.

B

billybob

Yes and joeys challenged them in the front row especially in that scrum. The newington loose head doesnt take a bind too often resulting in a penalty to joeys in the second scrum. The joeys forward pack were at a significantly lower stance to put pressure and drive under the New pack, and considering the 90kg advantage they had in the front row, joeys put up an exceptional fight with good techique.

I agree. The New front row were huge and joeys did have very good technique. Adding in that one of joeys props Matt Sandel is only 16 so for him to match it was exceptional. Also what is everyones observation of News Number 9 Joey Lussack(not sure on the spelling), Good enough to be there or maybe New is pushing him up to early?

Status
Not open for further replies.