• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I am a little surprised that you could be given the responsibility of monitoring this thread, post high minded exhortations to be respectful and then break your own rules by describing an opinion as "rubbish" and describing the post expressing that opinion as "silly". How many of the rules you espouse do you observe? Are they optional for you? i suppose since this is a direct criticism of your double standard it will be deleted.
I wanted to respond to your earlier post (5.35) but you have deleted it - quick answer - you are right - we are all entitled to an opinion - no matter how informed. I suppose many on this thread felt that Joeys filling 9 spots in the 3 teams and 2 spots on the bench was a good outcome considering their results and that the likes of Kulen (bench but then Combined States) and King (missed completely) were possibly unlucky. "Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." Gaius Julius Ceasar

S

Stickybeak

I wanted to respond to your earlier post (5.35) but you have deleted it - quick answer - you are right - we are all entitled to an opinion - no matter how informed. I suppose many on this thread felt that Joeys filling 9 spots in the 3 teams and 2 spots on the bench was a good outcome considering their results and that the likes of Kulen (bench but then Combined States) and King (missed completely) were possibly unlucky. "Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." Gaius Julius Ceasar

That's fine: in my day Joeys got 14 in the GPS sides - poor bloke who missed out (I hope he was unavailable) - and they shared the premiership in one of those years and finished nowhere in the other. and that was at the end of the full GPS season.

If TKS and SJC played a draw today that would suggest that the Jo Boys are better than they've been given credit for. Given the Scots result it seems likely that Newington are not the powerhouse they were predicted to be (this is reinforced by their narrow win over Shore who got 1 boy in the GPS teams, as I read it).
I don't want to believe anything in particular and I have no particular desires in this area: i think the results today as reported so far are some proof that picking the GPS team when they are forced to is very unfair at least in that it doesn't permit head to head comparisons between all the players in each position.

College E

Bob McCowan (2)
Sjc tks 17 a piece I've heard, confirmed?

Yes, SJC 17 v TKS 17

It was a near repeat of last year.

It was SJC 12 v TKS 17 right at the end until SJC pulled out a "Get out of jail card" from the pocket & scored in the right hand corner at the scoreboard end to make it 17 - 17. The sideline conversion was missed.

In the 2nd half with around 6.50 minutes to go TKS were given a penalty about 10m out & in front of the posts. They elected to spin it out and never scored. If they took the kick it would have been SJC 12 v TKS 20 and "Adios amigos, see you in 12 months time."

S

SmarterChild12

Scots 17 to Newington 12, great game of rugby, Newington did not score a single try, all 12 points from the boot of No.9 Joey Lussick, they didnt look like scoring any time, the defense at the back by fill in fullback Kellaway was outstanding and the final 5 minutes of ruck'n'malling by Newington was defended superbly by Scots, scots tries were nice flow through the backs but weren't as special as i saw against kings and joeys.
Quality game to watch, both teams playing the full 70 minutes and it showed.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes, SJC 17 v TKS 17

It was a near repeat of last year.

It was SJC 12 v TKS 17 right at the end until SJC pulled out a "Get out of jail card" from the pocket & scored in the right hand corner at the scoreboard end to make it 17 - 17. The sideline conversion was missed.

In the 2nd half with around 6.50 minutes to go TKS were given a penalty about 10m out & in front of the posts. They elected to spin it out and never scored. If they took the kick it would have been SJC 12 v TKS 20 and "Adios amigos, see you in 12 months time."

Firsts:

Absolute brain snap by the King's player who elected to take the quick tap rather than the gift 3 points. Maths is obviously not his strong suit - as College E indicated a 5 point lead + 3 point gift = 8 point game winning lead with less than 7 mins to go. Joeys took full advantage of this "miscalculation" and in the end Kings were lucky to not walk away with their tails even further between their legs.

Seconds:

Joeys easily...their firsts next year will have the makings of a very good side particularly with the number of U16s playing in this years firsts and seconds (Sandell, Deegan, Schwager, Curtain, Hardy etc and Pennisi who didn't play today due to injury)

16A's

Where does one start and where does one end...quite simply the most biased refereeing I have witnessed in 30+ years of watching junior rugby. The penalty count at half time was 11-0 in Joeys favour and despite this Kings still lead at the break. By my count it ended up 20-4 penalty wise. As a long time admirer of the way Joeys play rugby I cringed every time the referee raised his arm as he was quite blatantly keeping Joeys in the game and suffocating the attack phases of what is a very good Kings U16 team. To their great credit the Kings boys didn't let their frustration with the referee's decisions get to them as it obviously was to the King's supporters in my vicinity. Joeys scored with about 2 mins to go to make it 15 all but missed what was a relatively straight forward conversion. From the ensuing kick off both sides made it quite obvious that they weren't going to be content with a draw and continued playing on despite full time having sounded and when kicking the ball out would have sealed a draw. Kings regained possession and spun the ball wide with their no 13 evading a number of Joeys backs to score out wide. For a brief moment the referee seemed to hesitate about raising his arm to award what seemed a relatively straight forward try....perhaps he came to his senses and concluded that despite his best efforts Kings actually deserved to win this one.

The final scoreline of 20-15 was not a true reflection of the difference in these two teams. Given an even playing field I'm sure Kings would have put plenty on this Joeys team. It may be a different story however if Joeys played all their U16s currently playing opens in their 16As. With an independent referee officiating it woud be a very absorbing contest.

Despite their "take no prisoners" approach to rugby which has served Joeys so well over the decades I have always found them quite sportsmanlike.They play very,very hard but always seem happy to acknowledge and applaud their opponents efforts even in defeat. I know of no other school that maintains their own schoolboys tunnel to clap opposing teams on and off the field after the Joeys team has gone through it and I've seen their supporters stand in unison and sing a victory song to an opposing team which has won the last round of the GPS at Joeys to clinch the premiership. The referee's performance today was the antithesis of this.... a good measure of this is that I understand that a Joeys official entered the Kings dressing room after the game to apologise about it.

15As

Joeys easily in the end in what had been a reasonably tight contest up to half time.

B

baldingwingforward

Firsts:

16A's

Where does one start and where does one end...quite simply the most biased refereeing I have witnessed in 30+ years of watching junior rugby.

Ha ha - wasn't George Ayoub was it? He's been known to do Joeys plenty of favours over the years.

I wish i had got there earlier to see it!

From what i saw of the 1st XV match the Kings coaches will be furious at not getting the win when it was there for the taking. As ever Joeys hung in there and refused to lie down. They are not a vintage Joeys side by any means but they certainly know how to scrap. Both of these teams are capable of causing an upset against View so it should make for an interesting next couple of rounds.

My tip would be View to win the premiership next week against Kings, and then Joeys to spoil the party by beating them the following week, allowing Scots to get a share of it, presuming they can beat Shore and Grammar.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

Despite their "take no prisoners" approach to rugby which has served Joeys so well over the decades I have always found them quite sportsmanlike.They play very,very hard but always seem happy to acknowledge and applaud their opponents efforts even in defeat. I know of no other school that maintains their own schoolboys tunnel to clap opposing teams on and off the field after the Joeys team has gone through it and I've seen their supporters stand in unison and sing a victory song to an opposing team which has won the last round of the GPS at Joeys to clinch the premiership. The referee's performance today was the antithesis of this.... a good measure of this is that I understand that a Joeys official entered the Kings dressing room after the game to apologise about it.

Well said - the Joeys boys are without peer when it comes to sportsmanship.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
SJC 17 TKS 17

I didn't think that Joeys had a prayer. They were enthusiastic enough but had no physical presence. Even some of the Kings backs looked bigger than most of the Joeys forwards. Kings had all the territory and when Joeys got in the right real estate Kings infringed so Joeys had to take 4 penalty kicks.

As CTPE mentioned: it was a unfortunate decision by the Kings team to take a tap with 7 minutes to go and 5 points ahead instead of a penalty kick at goal from right in front. When I say right in front I mean right in front and it was so close that the goal kicker would have had to have taken the ball back about 10 metres to clear the bar.

As mentioned: had they taken the kick they would have been 8 points ahead and Joeys would have had to have scored twice to win. Let's hope the lad or lads who made the decision learn from the episode.

Anyway, it set up a top notch finish between two teams who were only middle notch. The Kings lads tried to kill the ball time and time again as Joeys had one of their few goal line sieges of the day. In the end, with defenders sucked into the middle of the park they couldn't stop winger Cleary scoring out wide, much to the enjoyment of the gentleman sitting next to me: his grandfather.

I thought Le Lievre may have duplicated the Miracle of Parramatta last year when he kicked to win the game, but from near touch, it wasn't to be.

I watched 13. Foketi of Kings with interest. I hadn't seen him play outside centre before and it could be his position. He is still a raw talent but he created chances just about every time he got the ball.

6. Goldie was promoted because of an injury to Pennise and he should be very proud of how he played. I watched U/16 qualified player 10. Deegan with interest. It is good to see how his game has developed in just a couple of months. He will make his mark in a couple of years time, if not, next year. He sometimes doesn't draw the man enough before the pass and he doesn't have much of a kicking game (though how could you tell in a Joeys team?) but it's definitely "Watch this space" with young Andrew.

Well done boys from both teams.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wish i had got there earlier to see it!

The irony of it was that despite his very best endeavours Joeys still went down!!

The reality of it is that Joeys teams shouldn't need such a leg up.

The finality of it was Joeys acknowledgement of this through their officials apology.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Where does one start and where does one end...quite simply the most biased refereeing I have witnessed in 30+ years of watching junior rugby. I understand that a Joeys official entered the Kings dressing room after the game to apologise about it.

Perhaps unfortunately expressed. May in not have been better to say it was the most incompetent display you have seen - or do you believe that these fellows who give up their time to train and officiate are, in fact, biased towards a team and/or against another?

I understand that a Joeys official entered the Kings dressing room after the game to apologise about it.

The finality of it was Joeys acknowledgement of this through their officials apology.

The second post was made later. Did you understand at first and then get confirmation later?

Whatever, I think it's bad form to say a referee is biased whether he favours the other team or one's own.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Perhaps unfortunately expressed. May in not have been better to say it was the most incompetent display you have seen - or do you believe that these fellows who give up their time to train and officiate are, in fact, biased towards a team and/or against another?

The second post was made later. Did you understand at first and then get confirmation later?

Whatever, I think it's bad form to say a referee is biased whether he favours the other team or one's own.

Lee I appreciate that you are a self admitted Joeys trajic however there is no word other than bias that adequately conveys the referees display yesterday. I was told on the day that it was in fact the Joeys U16A coach who entered the Kings dressing room and apologised about the referees performance.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
...Whatever, I think it's bad form to say a referee is biased whether he favours the other team or one's own.

Lee - when the incompetence is purely in one direction, or if it always favors the home team? Come off the grass- we've all seen it - shame is when schools doing their own appointments don't / won't / can't police their own. There was some talk many years ago for 16A GPS & CAS to be handled by NSWRRA but it fell in the too hard pile.

up&under

Frank Nicholson (4)
Couldnt agree with you more CTPE. The referee was an abosulte joke. He then put in a repeat performance in the 14a's game (which I only watched to see if he did the same thing again-which he did) and then backed up to run the touch line in the 1st XV game. This bloke did all he could to keep joeys in that 16A's game. thankfully the better team won. It must have been embarrassing as a joeys supporter/coach/student to watch. In all my years watching and playing rugby this was by far the worst display of refereeing (to use the term loosely) I have ever seen.

S

SmarterChild12

I've been told by others at the game (as i only got there for the 2nd and 1st XV) that it wasnt that one sided as it said to be on here. However, i think that hearing this, it does not surprise me that this happened, Joeys referee's give the Joe boys every chance to win the games they play, Scots vs Joeys in the 16 A's before the term break was a classic example with Joeys going 50 metres to come within inches of scoring after the bell had gone, after the ball went into touch.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
SJC 17 TKS 17

10. Deegan with interest. It is good to see how his game has developed in just a couple of months. He will make his mark in a couple of years time, if not, next year. He sometimes doesn't draw the man enough before the pass and he doesn't have much of a kicking game (though how could you tell in a Joeys team?) but it's definitely "Watch this space" with young Andrew.

Deegans Kicking game is quite strong, especially drop kicking and for touch, as does the #9 Kay, it is just unseen in this side because of the amazing kicking skills of Le Lievre

Status
Not open for further replies.