• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Blindside

I couldn't agree with you more. Definitely a coaching problem. Newington college rugby has not been a happy family this year. Has to be the coaching staff when you have the cattle but can't produce. The best attacking back line can only score tries if they have the ball but sadly they didn't see much as the halfback was far too slow. Good luck for next year new you are going to need it if you stick to the same old same old.

New tried a number of halves during the trials and Joey Lussick was the pick of the bunch even though he is only in Year 10.

S

sportzfan

New tried a number of halves during the trials and Joey Lussick was the pick of the bunch even though he is only in Year 10.
Lussick needed another year to develop as he is new to rugby union. Coaching staff seemed determined to persist with Lussick even though he was far too slow and always looked like a leaguer. I think Hood from the seconds deserved an opportunity.

D

daussiepommie

It seems as new have addressed their problems in the halves and have recruited a halfback from Eastwood.

D

daussiepommie

Not quite sure CTPE, just hear he is from Eastwood. Anyone know of him?

S

sydneyclubrugbyfan

Grammar

Has Grammar been booted from GPS comp? Whats the story there?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
It would be a voluntary and dignified withdrawal rather a booting. But I haven't heard anything.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
NO - the school is not going to contest the 1st XV next year. No one gets booted from the GPS comp.

Nostradamus, has that definitely been decided by the school? So, High and Grammar will compete with the other schools' seconds?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I think you're right. Newington was heading the same way (like their cricket) until recently when the 'semi-professional change was made.

A

Ageing Parent

Following on from Nostradamus' post........and without wishing to be seen to be denigrating either SBHS or SGS.........
It is my understanding that a proposal was tabled before the GPS Sports masters at a meeting last Tuesday. This proposal was prepared on the basis that the SM’s had been advised that SGS would not be contesting 1stXV rugby in 2012, and provided for a home and away style draw and was fully detailed for the next 3 years ( or possibly even 5 ?), with venues, etc etc all sorted out. It even included a combined allocation / draw for Football (Soccer) – and would have answered some of the comments posted recently elsewhere, about apparently only seeming to be capable of preparing a draw on a week by week basis .
It would appear that the SGS people in charge had a change of heart – and put it to their Yr 11 cohort as to whether THEY wanted to participate in 2012 – which those young men then indicated that they wanted to play. Whilst not questioning the hearts of those young men...one would have thought that the school would have thought this through a bit more before announcing that they had withdrawn from the comp – not to mention the duty of care issues that may re-surface as regards minimising the possibility of serious injury that might have kicked in.
A completely wasted couple of hours for the sports masters, and we return in 2012 to the same dysfunctional scenario faced in 2011.
Who would be a sports master these days........

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
And from Grammar's perspective it has been the chronic lack of quality backs who can tackle that has contributed to thrashings. The forwards often hold their own. For a few years, the 7 has been stationed in the backline, often at set piece, to stop the larger backs from running amok. But after one tackle, the next phase is a problem.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My most reliable source says that the 1st XV will play 2nds. My less reliable source says that SGS will play in the 1sts and their 2nds will play other schools 3rds. Either way the decision appears to be the result of a perception by the headmaster that there is a real risk of injury arising from the size discrepancy. I am also told that in Year 10 at Shore there are only 7 boys rowing - off topic I know - but my present prediction is that there is going to be a significant shake up in GPS sport simply because there are 4 schools playing semi professionally and the rest arent.

You are right on one and wrong on one. Grammar have officially withdrawn from the 1sts rugby (haven't heard you rumours anout them rejoining, AP, but I will chase them up). This leaves the door open for a two round comp, although that has yet to be decided on. And there are plenty more than 7 rowers in Shore year 10.

I disagree with your last statement. Even with some schools playing 'semi-professionally' as you suggest (and I sort of disagree with) the gap between all schools was pretty narrow in this years rugby, Grammar excluded. Same in other sports- last year's 1st 8 rowing was the closest in years with Grammar breaking through for their first win in 40-odd years.

A

Ageing Parent

Barbarian, I think my source is pretty reliable..........however, happy to be proved incorrect.
Notwithstanding, listening to the chatter on the way home from ES marks today, it sounds like it may well prove to be another very close competition next season....

Here's hoping !

A

Ageing Parent

Barbarian,
If my understanding is correct, the Athletics “season” is to be relocated – again – back to the timeslot following the conclusion of the traditional summer sports ( ie at the end of T1 / beginning of T2.
If this is the case, it means that the actual GPS competition will not start until quite late – perhaps mid / late June ??. ( Factoring in school holidays etc commencing around the Easter long weekend) Will this not get the conspiracy theorists prognosticating frantically...as potentially there may be some Rep teams to be selected before the competition has actually started ?
Heaven forbid that selectors might be forced to select players on trial form only ( or worse still, on prior year’s form ??)
Surely it is about time that the Sports Masters that convene to organize the GPS rugby competition should start to introduce some new blood / ideas, into their apparently cloistered methodolgies ?
Whilst the GPS 1st XV competition is undoubtedly the jewel in the crown, there are an awful lot of kids running around each Saturday – and they deserve to be considered too. A revamped home and away competition CAN be undertaken to ensure that EVERYONE is accommodated. It has already been tabled before these Sports Masters.
Unfortunately, it seems that the WD-40 is not working too well to allow these guys to start thinking laterally enough !
Whatever happens, I trust that no team will be affected by any significant player injuries, which might detract from a successful 2012 season campaign. It is shaping up to be a good one !
AP

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I haven't heard anything about a change of season with Athos, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I would be surprised if it did, as the current setup seems fairly settled. I do know they have knocked one week off the rowing season, much to the rowers annoyance.

You make a lot of reference to new ideas, but I am not quite sure what you mean. You obviously have something in mind, care to elaborate? I do know the GPS are considering a couple of new ideas for next year, such as introducing a lightweight team in every age group, and restarting the 3rd XV competition. But those are just ideas at the moment, and have a long way to go before they are implemented.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Barbarian,
If my understanding is correct, the Athletics “season” is to be relocated – again – back to the timeslot following the conclusion of the traditional summer sports ( ie at the end of T1 / beginning of T2.
AP

I can confirm you are correct about moving the athletics season next year.

B

baldingwingforward

Barbarian,

If this is the case, it means that the actual GPS competition will not start until quite late – perhaps mid / late June ??. ( Factoring in school holidays etc commencing around the Easter long weekend) Will this not get the conspiracy theorists prognosticating frantically...as potentially there may be some Rep teams to be selected before the competition has actually started ?
Heaven forbid that selectors might be forced to select players on trial form only ( or worse still, on prior year’s form ??)

AP

GPS 2012 rugby competition is to take place totally in Term 3 - meaning yes that rep sides will be picked solely from trial observations. Doesn't bode well, seeing how wrong they have got it the last couple of years with more games to watch!
The only good thing about it is that the comp will run without the annoying interruption of the Term 2 holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.