• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schools Rugby Tribune

Frank Nicholson (4)
This has been a most ilucidating debate, which I am keenly following. Shows just how complex our (junior) rugby landscape really is, vis-a-vis South Africa and New Zealand.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SRT,
There are plenty of suggestions/debate elsewhere on these boards.

Many very complex interpersonal and interorganisational issues involved.

...snip...
Ever been to a U 17's game in Sydney?Teams are a mix of kids that are Schoolboy reps & kids who couldn't make the school thirds.
It is more a social event for the participants than a contest.
If you don't believe me go down to a game and ask those there.
There is not 1 competition of any length of reasonable standard for kid's over 16 and below colts, not in schools,not in village.
That is a fact.

Agree. Been to plenty of these, both as a parent and club official.

While I said SJRU is good compared to BJRU, I did not mean to suggest that SJRU is perfect. Far from it, there are plenty of areas for improvement that I have posted about in the past in more relevant threads.

I am qualified to comment as Junior Jarses have all played School and Club from U6 - Opens. Jarses now trotting around in Colts as well as Schools and SJRU footy. From time to time we have even crossed across the void to the Dark Side for a season or so to play mungo with Jnr Jarse's mates. Too much footy is not enough for the Jarses.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Australian Schools GPS representation:

Guessing who will be in the starting XV:
1. AaronPleashIpswich Grammar School QLD 1
2. TomWilsonBarker College NSW 1
3. SiotameKavapaluRowville Secondary College VIC
4. HarryRorkeSt Ignatius College NSW 1
5. JackCornelsenBrisbane Grammar School QLD 1
6. Lolo Fakaosilea Brisbane Boys College QLD 1
7. JackDempseySt Ignatius College NSW 1
8. MitchellWhiteleySt Ignatius College NSW 1
9. Andrew Ferris The Kings School NSW 2
10. David Horwitz The Scots College NSW 1
11. Andrew Kellaway The Scots College NSW 1
12. Jim Stewart The Scots College NSW 1
13. Lalakai Foketi The Kings School NSW 2
14. Harry Jones The Kings School NSW 2
15. JakeMcIntyreAlstonville High School NSW 1

16. MoliSooaemalelagiRoxburgh Park Sec College VIC
17. CameronOrrTrinity Grammar School NSW 2
18. Neori Nadruku St Edmund’s College ACT
19. Matthew Philip St Augustine’s College NSW 2
20. Michael Gunn Anglican Church Grammar QLD 1
21. Angus Pulver The Shore School CS
22. Andrew Robinson St Mary MacKillop College ACT
23. Jonah Placid Toowoomba Grammar School QLD 1

A near Scots/Kings backline and half Riverview pack - no Joeys or Newington representation though.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Grammar and High (and TAS) are "combining" their teams this year to privide a fixture for their GPS opponents.......

Teams including boys from both Grammar and High? Well, there'll be peace in the Middle East one day.

Peace in the Middle East will need to wait a bit longer.....as I understand it the teams aren't "combining".... when one of the other 6 GPS schools have a fixture scheduled against Grammar/High/Tas this year their 1st XV plays Grammar's firsts, their 2nd XV plays TAS' firsts and their 3rd XV plays High's firsts.

This set up hasn't taken place in the GPS trial games with Grammar and High having separate trials against non-GPS teams. It will debut in the first Round of the the GPS on 28th July when Grammar/TAS/High host Newington (I assume all three games will be at Weigall)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aust Schoolboys (NSW 1 x 8, NSW 2 x 5, QLD 1 x 5, ACT x 2, VIC x 2, CS x 1 - no QLD 2)
Aust Schoolboys A (QLD 1 x 5, QLD 2 x 5, NSW 1 x 4, NSW 2 x 4, VIC x 2, CS x 2, ACT x 1)
TOTALS:
NSW1 x 12, NSW 2 x 9 = NSW 21
QLD 1 x 10, QLD 2 x 5 = QLD 15
VIC = 4
ACT = 3
CS = 3

Sydney GPS Reps
Aust Schoolboys = 10 (Scots = 3, Shore =1, Kings = 3, View = 3)
Aust Schoolboys A = 4 (Kings = 1, Joeys = 1, New = 2)

Total = 14 (Scots = 3, Shore = 1, Kings = 4, View = 3, Joeys = 1, New = 2)

High Quality Competition coming up soon.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Aust Schoolboys (NSW 1 x 8, NSW 2 x 5, QLD 1 x 5, ACT x 2, VIC x 2, CS x 1 - no QLD 2)
Aust Schoolboys A (QLD 1 x 5, QLD 2 x 5, NSW 1 x 4, NSW 2 x 4, VIC x 2, CS x 2, ACT x 1)
TOTALS:
NSW1 x 12, NSW 2 x 9 = NSW 21
QLD 1 x 10, QLD 2 x 5 = QLD 15
VIC = 4
ACT = 3
CS = 3

Sydney GPS Reps
Aust Schoolboys = 10 (Scots = 3, Shore =1, Kings = 3, View = 3)
Aust Schoolboys A = 4 (Kings = 1, Joeys = 1, New = 2)

Total = 14 (Scots = 3, Shore = 1, Kings = 4, View = 3, Joeys = 1, New = 2)

High Quality Competition coming up soon.

King's or Scots backlines v. Views forwards? I still think though that despite Oz Schools selections that Newington have the best all round side in 2012.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
King's or Scots backlines v. Views forwards? I still think though that despite Oz Schools selections that Newington have the best all round side in 2012.
Throwing the dummy there CTPE....
Both you and I know that the Sky Blue and White are the outright favourites with 164 of them in the Aus sides!!! Congrats to all of the boys from The Kings School that made it

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Throwing the dummy there CTPE..
Both you and I know that the Sky Blue and White are the outright favourites with 164 of them in the Aus sides!!! Congrats to all of the boys from The Kings School that made it

Having 8 in the 2010 Oz Schoolboys made them red hot GPS favourites that year too but we know where that ended up.

Having great backs as both Scots and Kings do this year means very little unless their respective forwards can compete on equal terms with their opponents and dominate at times. Kings forwards performance in their trial win at Joeys was very heartening and I note that Scots were the only team to knock off Newington in the trials so their forwards must have gone OK in that game.

From what I've seen to date View have the best forwards as is very much evidenced with the selection of Dempsey, Rorke and Whiteley in the Oz Schoolboys side. I just don't know that their backs have the firepower to take advantage of the platform the View forwards will give them.

I still think that Newington and to a lesser degree Joeys have the best all round teams. Shore probably fall into this category as well and had some good results in the trials but I understand that injuries are already taking a big toll there.

It was said over 9 months ago on this thread that the 2011 GPS comp will be the closest for a number of years with the potential to see multiple joint premiers - I think that that still remains the case.

Rugbyman

Frank Row (1)
any changes to teams for the final trial matches leading into the competition games? Which game will be the pick to watch?

G

G-78-XV-V

It will be a very competitive round 6 of the trials; Sat 21st
Scots v Kings
Shore v Joeys
New v Iggies
Grammar v Armidale (I think)
Anyone brave enough to make predictions???

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
any changes to teams for the final trial matches leading into the competition games? Which game will be the pick to watch?

Scots v Kings OR New v Iggies

I'm sure there'll be some changes due to form and injury. Hopefully those who played for NSW & CS last week and those playing for Oz this week avoid the latter

Rugbyman

Frank Row (1)
Scots v Kings
Shore v Joeys
New v Iggies

Kings
Joeys
New and iggies could go either way.... im going to say Iggies will come out on top.
Grammer.
A few close match ups, will be interesting

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Scots v Kings
Shore v Joeys
New v Iggies
Going the roughy here with SCOTS due to every body bar the groundsmen playing for Australia and they will all still be too tired.
St Josephs due to nobody playing for Australia EXCEPT the groundsmen...
Riverview. Because they didnt even have a groundsman.
Armidale due that their groundsman has more acreage than Gina Rinehart.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What would motivate his assailant to do such a cowardly gutless thing. Why??

Young people are supposed to attend funerals of old people. The other way around is so so wrong.

Sincere condolences to Tom's parents, siblings, extended family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.