• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's early days to look too far ahead as a lot can change before next season and with three rounds of the current GPS season still remaining Kings will be very keen to finish their 2012 campaign on a high note with victories over View, Joeys and Scots, particularly after their huge wins over Grammar and Epsom College this week following their bye last weekend.

To answer the question though of the year non year 12 boys to have regularly started in their firsts this year, Kings will have Jack McCalman, Jono Burke and Lucas Bateman in the forwards and Corey Tulloch, Harry Jones and Will Davies in the backs returning. In their current table topping seconds they'll have Rob Black, Sam Connor and Ben Stacy in the forwards and Rory Davis, Charlie Friend, Sam Carter and John Robertson also returning - of these named firsts and seconds players most were in their undefeated 16As in 2011. In addition there are a number of boys in their 2012 16As who are standing out - James Kane and David Ballantyne (together with Jono Burke) have been selected in this years NSW Schools U16s team and George Lehman and Hugh Taylor have been selected in the Sydney u16s team - and all will be playing at the U16 Nationals in September.
I heard good things about the 16s yesterday and was told that the coaches get a lot of credit as the team has been only average until this year. Good looking (in rugby terms) 5/8 in the 15s who i gather is in NSW U15s as an outside centre: good/great pass both ways!
I was also told that Andrew Parry had coached 3 joeys premierships while still teaching at TKS - can anyone set me straight on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W

Wowsah

Im not to sure, Scots alongside Newington are the teams to beat so far in the season. You are right about Shores determination, this has seen them win the past games. But Shore now have to compete with the teams on the top end of the ladder. This will be a complete new game for Shore. If they want to win this game they have to be hungry for it.

I'm confused at how you arrive at this analysis. I'm a long time scots supporter yet I fail to realise how scots has proven itself above shore. Shore have defeated Kings and View. Scots have defeated joeys, view and lost to New. Shore is on the top end of ladder. They have defeated the teams who were supposed to be there. I don't think View are out of form nor are Kings, I just think that the Shore team this year is a very special one. I am yet to see a team this year that displays such a huge never-say-die attitude. It is for this reason that this year I have taken such an interest in them. I really hope they pull it off, however I won't vocalise my support for obvious reasons ;).

Finally, I think shore have sufficiently displayed a "hunger" to win by gusting it out against two of the preseason favourites. Next week it will be shore by 7. Beware the underdog.

W

Wowsah

my 4 way tie is still possible but this is what I need to happen:

Kings to win all of their remaining games
Shore to beat Newington but lose to Scots & Joeys
View to beat Newington
Scots also beat Grammar

It will then be a 4 way tie between Newington, Shore, Kings & Scots!

Not looking likely I confess, but you never know!

You want a 4 way tie???? Is this to demonstrate the need for finals matches? Or to demonstrate the farce that is their points system? Or do you just want a 4 way tie for shits and giggles? :)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You want a 4 way tie???? Is this to demonstrate the need for finals matches? Or to demonstrate the farce that is their points system? Or do you just want a 4 way tie for shits and giggles? :)

None of the above Wowsah....at the start of the season I predicted that the comp was so close that there would be a 4 way tie via 4 teams losing 2 games each....I like being right so I am merely calculating what needs to happen from here for it to occur!

if anything though I'd like it to happen to 'demonstrate the farce that is their points system'..but with the large number of trial games played, I reckon the solution is to make the comp a 2 round home and away comp, especially if Grammar pull out.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
None of the above Wowsah..at the start of the season I predicted that the comp was so close that there would be a 4 way tie via 4 teams losing 2 games each..I like being right so I am merely calculating what needs to happen from here for it to occur!

if anything though I'd like it to happen to 'demonstrate the farce that is their points system'..but with the large number of trial games played, I reckon the solution is to make the comp a 2 round home and away comp, especially if Grammar pull out.
History would suggest that at least one team out of Newington, Shore and Scots will finish the season with just one loss or undefeated. Next week's game between Shore and Scots will determine whether Scots is pushed out of contention or whether both remain hunting for a joint premiership.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
History would suggest that at least one team out of Newington, Shore and Scots will finish the season with just one loss or undefeated. Next week's game between Shore and Scots will determine whether Scots is pushed out of contention or whether both remain hunting for a joint premiership.

I can't see Newington losing any further games - they've got through the "horror" stretch of their draw beating both Kings and Scots away and Joeys at home. They have a bye next weekend, then Shore at home and View away - in most other years the game at View would be a daunting challenge for them but given the form of both sides I don't think that's the case this year.

As for Shore the "horror' stretch of their draw is about ready to start - they have Scots at home next weekend followed by away games at Newington and Joeys - despite their successes to date I can't see them winning more than one of the next three games and perhaps none of them.

That leaves Scots - all their remaining games are away - first up Shore, then Grammar and finally Kings. I think they'll find themselves in the position of having to beat Kings in the last round to snare a joint premiership with Newington hoping of course that View can knock off New at home.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree, I think Newington are definately favourites. I'm confident Shore could beat Scots next weekend in their last home match, they did in the trials. Newington away could be the downfall of the season, and Joeys beat Shore in the trials so that's going to be an even tougher match I think. Riverview can beat anyone on their day, and I think they'll be fresh from their bye and have injured players back for that last round match. It will definately be a blockbuster if the premiership isn't decided before then.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
I can't see Newington losing any further games - they've got through the "horror" stretch of their draw beating both Kings and Scots away and Joeys at home.

Newington will be very hard to beat by Shore or View. As some have mentioned before they have the balance in their forwards and backs. They are very humble team - no superstar, no hero but they play as a team trusting each other. They work hard for their opportunities and when it comes they make use of it.

For Shore and View they must beat New in the forward first to give them any chance of winning. If New dominate the forward and defend well - they will be the champion.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
That leaves Scots - all their remaining games are away - first up Shore, then Grammar and finally Kings. I think they'll find themselves in the position of having to beat Kings in the last round to snare a joint premiership with Newington hoping of course that View can knock off New at home.

I think you are on the right track here and much as I hate to admit it Scots look like being runners up to an undefeated Newington unless a miracle of sorts prevails!

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think you are on the right track here and much as I hate to admit it Scots look like being runners up to an undefeated Newington unless a miracle of sorts prevails!

Hmm, I guess I'll have to disagree with that statement. Whilst the game this weekend against Shore will be close, and could go either way, I still don't see Scots as the powerhouse everyone claims them to be. Even if they triumph over Shore, which I don't think they will, I believe they'll ultimately be brought down by Kings in their final round.

Kings have been written off early this year, but as of yet have only lost to Newington and Shore, whom at the moment are the leading teams in the competition (in terms of points anyway). They decimated Grammar on the weekend, and in my opinion, will come out firing for the rest of the season and should not be underestimated at all. I see big things to come from them towards the end of this season and throughout the next.

G

G&GR News Bot

Shore hosted Riverview for a fantastic game of rugby in which both teams were well matched across the park. It was a lively atmosphere, with the lead changing several times throughout the match. Shore 25 – Riverview 19 The scoring Shore started well crashing their way to the Riverview’s line until they knocked on. Riverview

Click this link to read the full article...

W

Wowsah

Michael, brilliant game from the shore lads. Haven't seen defence quite like that for a while. I also watched the 2s and saw what seemed to be Robertson limping off. Was that him? (didn't have a program). if it was it looked like an encouraging return, he seemed to hold his own in the scrum despite what is always a nervy period coming back into full contact.

The absolute standouts for the 1's were 8, 10 and as usual from my point of view, Davies. The shore 1's prop, I think it is Streeter?, is a very solid performer, what grade is he in?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Michael, brilliant game from the shore lads. Haven't seen defence quite like that for a while. I also watched the 2s and saw what seemed to be Robertson limping off. Was that him? (didn't have a program). if it was it looked like an encouraging return, he seemed to hold his own in the scrum despite what is always a nervy period coming back into full contact.

The absolute standouts for the 1's were 8, 10 and as usual from my point of view, Davies. The shore 1's prop, I think it is Streeter?, is a very solid performer, what grade is he in?

Yes it was Robertson that limped off in the 2nds, but I don't believe its serious and was probably more precautionary as he comes back.

And yes Streeter is the 1sts prop. Very strong player, I believe he made GPS 3rds this year, and although he's in year 12, he's underage for the year group and in the interests of his getting the most out of his HSC has decided to do pathways, and thus will be back next year.

Good things to come from him no doubt.

H

Harry Stevenson

Newington will be very hard to beat by Shore or View. As some have mentioned before they have the balance in their forwards and backs. They are very humble team - no superstar, no hero but they play as a team trusting each other. They work hard for their opportunities and when it comes they make use of it.

For Shore and View they must beat New in the forward first to give them any chance of winning. If New dominate the forward and defend well - they will be the champion.

I agree with what you are saying with Newington that they are a very strong team in both the backs and forwards. However Shore seem go in to each game playing as underdogs and I think at the end of the day its their fighting spirit which gets them home, at least that's what I noticed watching them play against Kings and Riverview.

R

rugby union

Shore has beaten both Kings and View at home, they are playing Scots this week also at home. What are their chances? surely some of the doubters have realised that this years Shore team is no pushover after already coming away with a win against Scots at Scots in the trials!
Opinions for this game? as the result may very well decide if New will run away with the premiership, or if it will come down to a huge game out at New the following week!

G

G-78-XV-V

OK, the ladders:

Official AAGPS:

=1. Newington..8
=1. Shore..8
3. Scots..6
=4. Kings..4
=4. Joeys..4
6. Riverview..2
7. Grammar..0

Hypothetical Super Rugby:

1. Newington..20
2. Shore..17
3. Scots..13
4. Kings..11
5. Joeys..8
6. Riverview..7
7. Grammar..0

Hypothetical Top 14:

1. Newington..19
2. Shore..17
3. Scots..12
4. Kings..10
5. Joeys..8
6. Riverview..7
7. Grammar..0
thanks KOB keep it comming.

G

G-78-XV-V

side question (wipe it later) trying to find a thread for the SJRU as their finals started yesterday, anyone any help??

Status
Not open for further replies.