• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
it's been long overdue but it's time for a rant to come steaming out of the colon.

Now that grammar are gone no one cares....but i care.

Having watched the antics of the 1sts basketball coach today i am absolutely f***ing ropable...

"last year when i coached the under 15's we had a win loss record of 14-1, so i'm just gunna forget that these next two years even happen" coach of the 1sts basketball

Obviously, watching Through my binoculars I wasn't able to hear much (the quote from the coach was relayed to me) but by the body language you can tell no-one wants to be there.

There is a wierd phenomenon at grammar which i call the Alpha culture which involves a bunch of testicularly challenged dickweeds (i used to play for grammar so i know what i'm talking about) jump up at half time speeches and all have their respective rants at their team mates. Everything is someone elses fault. Everyone thinks they are a leader superstar.

All credit to you headmaster for buying new improved coaches...looks like it went really well in rugby and that the environment in basketball is looking really enjoyable and progressive. I know you read this through your connections with inside shoulder and let me just say that there are a bunch of players who will walk away at the drop of a hat so just a haeds up if that happens. BUYING NEW COACHES DOESN'T WORK UNLESS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT CATTLE TO COACH.

congratulations to all hsc students who are finished

Many people share your frustrations with the sporting ethos at Grammar at the moment. (I didn't go there, but even I share it)

A couple of points; getting coaches is the way to go, but if the basketball coach is speaking/treating his players like that then he shouldn't be coaching junior sport of any description and Grammar may have employed the wrong person. This would explain why the boys look like they don't want to be there. Secondly, High with a similar demographic to Grammar are one of the strongest basketball schools in Australia. In the last 3 or 4 years they have been Australian and NSW schools champions more than once.

What I would suggest is the critical difference between High and Grammar is that sport at High is valued to a greater extent. The boys would pick up the signals given off at school assemblies, how teachers and senior staff refer to sport, what is the attitude and demeanour of coaches etc.

If Grammar are bringing in coaches, it's the right way to go, but the coaches have to be the right people and it needs to start at 13s, whether it's basketball, rugby or any other sport.

I hope that Grammar can turn their sport around and that they return to their rightful place in GPS competitions. I suspect that they do have the 'cattle' to at least be competitive if well-coached and with the belief that the school values their efforts on the sporting fields as being genuine achievements.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I would have thought that anybody who criticizes or even critiques a player who is 13 should be banned from this forum.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All credit to you headmaster for buying new improved coaches...looks like it went really well in rugby and that the environment in basketball is looking really enjoyable and progressive. I know you read this through your connections with inside shoulder and let me just say that there are a bunch of players who will walk away at the drop of a hat so just a haeds up if that happens. BUYING NEW COACHES DOESN'T WORK UNLESS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT CATTLE TO COACH.

congratulations to all hsc students who are finished

Do you lock your bedroom door at night? Is that to keep yourself in or me and the grammar headmaster out?
If you think there's a connection between me and him you haven't read enough of my posts.
The coaches he's buying in rugby are being used at the wrong end of the school.
Have a look at the Newington video posted in this thread #433 and marvel at the appalling tackling technique exhibited across the board by SGS. That starts and should be stopped in the 13s.
I recall being pilloried after that game for calling them out on their skills but the video shows they were worse than I thought.
They don't need better cattle they need better skills: with proper coaching from the get got they could wipe off 20 points of the deficit.
Do that and you could start to work on the other 50!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H

HarveyColon

Do you lock your bedroom door at night? Is that to keep yourself in or me and the grammar headmaster out?
If you think there's a connection between me and him you haven't read enough of my posts.
Have a look at the Newington video posted in this thread #433 and marvel at the appalling tackling technique exhibited across the board by SGS. That starts and should be stopped in the 13s.
I recall being pilloried after that game for calling them out on their skills but the video shows they were worse than I thought.
They don't need better cattle they need better skills: with proper coaching from the get got they could wipe off 20 points of the deficit.

I agree with everything here, but no amount of weights will make anyone at that school as big as tepai, taane, OPL or a majority of the newington forward pack for that matter. IMO, skills would be more effectively executed if the players had more confidence: which arises from being physically matched as opposed to skill training......of course better skills would help too. I play rugby and through my experience it is much easier to be skillful when you don't have a big galoot waiting to smash you in defence. yes the attitude is a big problem too but demographics (ie lots of asians compared to other schools) and confidence due to lack of size are the main issues

- did anyone else notice newington's scrums pushing grammar past the legal 1.5 meters?
PS I don't lock my bedroom door at night as it isn't equipped with a lock

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)

I agree with everything here, but no amount of weights will make anyone at that school as big as tepai, taane, OPL or a majority of the newington forward pack for that matter. IMO, skills would be more effectively executed if the players had more confidence: which arises from being physically matched as opposed to skill training..of course better skills would help too. I play rugby and through my experience it is much easier to be skillful when you don't have a big galoot waiting to smash you in defence. yes the attitude is a big problem too but demographics (ie lots of asians compared to other schools) and confidence due to lack of size are the main issues

- did anyone else notice newington's scrums pushing grammar past the legal 1.5 meters?

Both of you have some truth here. Yes, coaches need to be improved at 13s level. And yes, physical intimidation does, as much as our macho, hormone-fuelled instincts may tell us otherwise, play a part in physical competition. But I figure I might throw two minor additions to each one.

Firstly, I think what might be potentially easier, cheaper, etc, etc. than bringing in the new coaches it to have the top-end blokes who are the rugby intellectuals to give the 13s, 14s coaches plans or assistance, not necessarily completely stepping in. The young blokes get their necessary fundamentals done,the new coaches have a stronger understanding of what they need to do, and the blokes getting paid at the top are doing a future service to themselves, while not having to exert enormous effort.

Secondly, I do firmly believe you will see an improvement in the tackling this year from the Grammar boys partially due to their increasing size from gym programs (which does imbue confidence in themselves) and the less... man-child like condition of their opponents. Watch this year with interest.

On a final note, I know the ship has sailed, but on the whole divisional reshuffling, I would say this; right now it's the correct move, but the GPS, and indeed Grammar as well, need to be careful to not burn bridges. Both could have incredible use for each other in the future, and Grammar's only going to improve from here. It may be a long process, but the GPS needs to ensure they at least leave a door open, if only partially so.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Also the word 'cattle' is used far too often on this forum; can we please invest in a sidebar thesaurus of rugby colloquialisms?

J

John Day

I t is very sad that a group of grown men are talking about the GPS Rugby Competition for 2013 when there is still 10 months until the actual competition. It is also embarrassing for yourselfs how you talk shit about one of the proudest and most respected GPS schools, Sydney Grammar. Pick yourselves up you low lives and stop talking smack about the SGS. I do also hear that grammar has imported their first every rugby player with the name of Matt Harrison. He has a big build and strong red hair very similiar to that of the Kellaway at Scots. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the 3's competition

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I t is very sad that a group of grown men are talking about the GPS Rugby Competition for 2013 when there is still 10 months until the actual competition.

I do also hear that grammar has imported their first every rugby player with the name of Matt Harrison. He has a big build and strong red hair very similiar to that of the Kellaway at Scots. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the 3's competition

I have no side in this fight and I have no involvement in the GPS but still the irony of the two passages I've quoted is just delicious.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Thank you Harvey.
I noticed it at the game and attempted to bring it to attention of the officials - to no avail.
Sideways looks were all I got.
I don't think the video shows any of the collapsed scrums - they were ugly.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I t is very sad that a group of grown men are talking about the GPS Rugby Competition for 2013 when there is still 10 months until the actual competition. It is also embarrassing for yourselfs how you talk shit about one of the proudest and most respected GPS schools, Sydney Grammar. Pick yourselves up you low lives and stop talking smack about the SGS. I do also hear that grammar has imported their first every rugby player with the name of Matt Harrison. He has a big build and strong red hair very similiar to that of the Kellaway at Scots. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the 3's competition
You'd do we'll to read the whole of this thread and the 2012 one before sailing in with ill informed opinions.
Most if not all of the criticisms of the school relate to the failure of the institution to equip the kids with the tools to be, at least, competent.
You shouldn't take it so personally, unless of course you haven't done the work necessary to be competent.
Primetime I'm not saying size doesn't matter but no amount of size can make up for poor techniques all else being equal.
Many of the missed tackles in that video were side on or from behind and so size per se was less of an issue.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I t is very sad that a group of grown men are talking about the GPS Rugby Competition for 2013 when there is still 10 months until the actual competition. .../snip/...

Welcome aboard John.

If you think this is sad, wait until the GPS 2014 thread starts. Surprised it hasn't started already.

It is rugby. We wang. It is not compulsory to read posts, or to contribute. If you think we are a bunch of sad gits, then don't read. Simple.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Welcome aboard John.

If you think this is sad, wait until the GPS 2014 thread starts. Surprised it hasn't started already.

It is rugby. We wang. It is not compulsory to read posts, or to contribute. If you think we are a bunch of sad gits, then don't read. Simple.

Hey John
Alternatively if you think their all gits let them know
Given you appear to have signed up to post this 10 months out of the season, just to tell them, you too would be well within your rights to wear the GIT badge as well I'm lookingk forward to a new spice in the recipe.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Are not the "flighty gazelles" also known as "Followers", and the "piggies" also known as "rugby players"?:)
Flighty Gazelles have long since been run over by trampling wilderbeast and most of my Piggy friends would be bacon sandwiches nowdays if we tried to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.