• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
The loss of people such as Tony Lantry and Graeme Dedrick leave the Aust schoolboy and Australian rugby community without two significant administrators & contributors. One hopes that all those who enjoy rugby will be thinking of the families of these men at this time. Dedrick's father, John, was also a wonderful servant to rugby - as can be seen from the below ARU media release upon his passing, not that long ago:

November 11, 2005 - 1:54pm
Story by: ARU

John Dedrick
The Australian Rugby community today mourns the passing of one of the most influential administrators in the game, John Dedrick OAM, who passed away yesterday.
John Dedrick was Secretary of the ARU from 1976 and became the organisation's inaugural Executive Director in 1981. He held both positions until 1988 during which time he played a vital role in securing the future prosperity of the game.
He played a critical role in securing Australia's place in hosting the inaugural Rugby World Cup with New Zealand in 1987, and served on the first ever Rugby World Cup Organising Committee for the ground-breaking tournament.
As Executive Director, Dedrick negotiated several landmark sponsorship deals that ensured the financial future of the game in the amateur era, and was also instrumental in bringing about changes to Rugby's laws to enhance the safety of the game for junior players.
He refereed international teams as well as more that 200 first-grade matches and countless schoolboy matches over a 30-year period, and was a life member of the NSW Rugby Union Referees Association.
Dedrick resigned from the ARU in 1988 after 13 years of devoted duty, and that year was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for services to Rugby Union.
ARU CEO and Managing Director Gary Flowers paid tribute to Dedrick's contribution to the game.
"John was a remarkable servant of the game," Flowers said.
"When you consider what he achieved with his own hard work and a staff of only two or three, it is a testament to his talent and dedication that Australia was able to host, along with NZ, the inaugural Rugby World Cup in 1987."
"His dedication to the game didn't finish when he closed the office door, and for decades John could be found on a Rugby field with a whistle in his hand, be it refereeing first grade matches or at schoolboys competitions.
"The sport of Rugby Union owes John Dedrick an enormous debt for his years of dedication. He will be remembered for his humility, good grace and passion for all things Rugby. Our sympathies are with his family."
John Dedrick turned 77 last week, and despite battling a serious illness for some time, he always made a special effort to attend Rugby events. Most recently he was on hand to watch the Australian Schoolboys take on the visiting Japanese Schools in August this year.
He is survived by his wife Diane, his sons Graeme and David, and his daughter Janine.

Families such as these - who are in it for all of the right reasons - are to be treasured and admired. The Australian Rugby Community is much the poorer for the loss of Dedrick & Lantry.

The Joeys v Scots matches will be tinged with a degree of sadness this year, without these two men on the sideline.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
ah Mr Wolf you will be interested to know that my son is in for a beating for giving me false information . :)
They are losing 10. But I still hope someone finds them . :)

all tongue in cheek
haha good sir, no need for physical harm im sure he was trying his best, all in good fun.

Wolf Out.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
interesting to know that Newington 1st XV will not have any 1st 8 or 2nd 8 Rowing boys in it. past years Newington have thrived of big, solid boys willing to give rowing a hand and gain double colours. This will hopefully even the spread for the Newington Boys in sport as the sporting talent can be spread and allow for boys to study more in their off seasons instead of playing high-level elite schoolboy sport all year round. OPL, a good example, gained triple colours, but i wonder if his academics suffered from doing so????

How many 1st/2nd 8 boys will be in each school's 1st XV roughly?? it will be interesting to note gentlemen.

just had to spice things up, things are getting boring just watching the cricket..............

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
GPSrow

I hear there is a few boys striving for positions in both the 1st and 2nd XV that are rowing in some of the top crews, so i fear you may be incorrect, we'll see how this pans out of the season, i see you've retracted your previous statement about Hugh Roach giving up the oar, as records indicate he rowed in the 1st VIII at HOTR, coming in the top 3.

As for other schools i believe that there is a large crossover between the Rowing and Rugby crews.

And yes, Mr row, the cricket has been rather dull.

Wolf Out

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
The loss of people such as Tony Lantry and Graeme Dedrick leave the Aust schoolboy and Australian rugby community without two significant administrators & contributors. One hopes that all those who enjoy rugby will be thinking of the families of these men at this time. Dedrick's father, John, was also a wonderful servant to rugby - as can be seen from the below ARU media release upon his passing, not that long ago:

November 11, 2005 - 1:54pm
Story by: ARU

John Dedrick
The Australian Rugby community today mourns the passing of one of the most influential administrators in the game, John Dedrick OAM, who passed away yesterday.
John Dedrick was Secretary of the ARU from 1976 and became the organisation's inaugural Executive Director in 1981. He held both positions until 1988 during which time he played a vital role in securing the future prosperity of the game.
He played a critical role in securing Australia's place in hosting the inaugural Rugby World Cup with New Zealand in 1987, and served on the first ever Rugby World Cup Organising Committee for the ground-breaking tournament.
As Executive Director, Dedrick negotiated several landmark sponsorship deals that ensured the financial future of the game in the amateur era, and was also instrumental in bringing about changes to Rugby's laws to enhance the safety of the game for junior players.
He refereed international teams as well as more that 200 first-grade matches and countless schoolboy matches over a 30-year period, and was a life member of the NSW Rugby Union Referees Association.
Dedrick resigned from the ARU in 1988 after 13 years of devoted duty, and that year was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for services to Rugby Union.
ARU CEO and Managing Director Gary Flowers paid tribute to Dedrick's contribution to the game.
"John was a remarkable servant of the game," Flowers said.
"When you consider what he achieved with his own hard work and a staff of only two or three, it is a testament to his talent and dedication that Australia was able to host, along with NZ, the inaugural Rugby World Cup in 1987."
"His dedication to the game didn't finish when he closed the office door, and for decades John could be found on a Rugby field with a whistle in his hand, be it refereeing first grade matches or at schoolboys competitions.
"The sport of Rugby Union owes John Dedrick an enormous debt for his years of dedication. He will be remembered for his humility, good grace and passion for all things Rugby. Our sympathies are with his family."
John Dedrick turned 77 last week, and despite battling a serious illness for some time, he always made a special effort to attend Rugby events. Most recently he was on hand to watch the Australian Schoolboys take on the visiting Japanese Schools in August this year.
He is survived by his wife Diane, his sons Graeme and David, and his daughter Janine.

Families such as these - who are in it for all of the right reasons - are to be treasured and admired. The Australian Rugby Community is much the poorer for the loss of Dedrick & Lantry.

The Joeys v Scots matches will be tinged with a degree of sadness this year, without these two men on the sideline.

John D - an ex Kings boy circa 1946 I believe.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shame to hear of the loss of both these men. I fondly remember having spent one long afternoon tea at Scots discussing everything rugby and beyond with Mr. Dedrick for a game I sat out injured back in my playing days. A sad loss for the whole community at Scots and indeed Australian rugby circles.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does any know a link which can show me a complete list of GPS winners in Rugby? If not, can anyone compile one?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If you go to current AAGPS webpage and go to rugby, it has results for some years and not others. It has the result and scorers for each match. Winners:-
2002 Kings
2003 Riverview
2004 Joeys

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Winners of GPS rugby:

2002 King's
2003 Riverview
2004 Joeys
2005 Joeys
2006 Joeys/Shore/Riverview
2007 Joeys
2008 King's/Riverview
2009 King's/Riverview
2010 Newington
2011 Riverview
2012 Newington

corrected

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
1999 Kings
2000 Kings
2001 Joeys
2002 Kings
2003 Riverview
2004 Joeys
2005 Joeys
2006 Joeys/View/ Shore
2007 Joeys
2008 Kings/View
2009 Kings/View
2010 Newington
2011 Riverview
2012 Newington

The most surprising thing about the above is that it's been 5 years since Joeys won the title - their longest dry spell for a long time. However given their results this year in the 2nds to 4ths and 16As they'll be more than capable of lifting the title in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.