• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
To sway the direction of discussion a little and away from the 15’s & 16’s, although I trust it is relevant to this thread..– I’m surprised that the many “eagle eyes” out there didn’t come across this piece of interesting information – extracted from the SBHS Newsletter a few weeks ago. ( The Newsletter is openly available on line…)

Now let’s see the weaselling begin !

Cheers
The Hound

And PS – Whilst not an Old Ignatian, I concur with the well wishes & thanks expressed to Mr Hogan. One of the far better ones to have served with distinction on that illustrious body, IMHO.

AAGPS Heads MeetingAt the GPS Heads meeting last Thursday, it was agreed that the calendar for 2014 would remain as it is for 2013. That is, no change would be made to the timing of the athletics season. However, the Heads are exploring options for a broader winter competition and showed a preparedness to align with other Associations should an expanded competition be negotiated in the latter half of 2013 for operation in 2015 at the earliest. The contentious issue of video clips being posted online using images of other schools’ boys was raised. While conceding that control over social media was problematic, the Heads agreed that video clips that inappropriately pictured students from other schools would not be permitted on the school’s official website. Tensions among schools have arisen surrounding ‘recruitment and attraction of students with sporting ability’, particularly enrolling in Years 11 & 12. In order to lessen those tensions a ‘New Boys Committee’ was formed to gather data from member schools about their teams in Years 10-12 and the enrolment dates of their players. A paper was prepared as a draft which sets out points limits for each sport, depending on the number of players in the team. Points range from 7 in rugby to 3 in tennis. A team cannot exceed the points limit. A boy enrolling in Year 10 would attract 2 points; in Year 11 3 points. Players arriving after day 1 in Year 11 attract 4 points and no player is eligible to play if he arrives after term 2 of Year 11. Exchange students would not be eligible for GPS Competitions. Heads are considering the proposal and are awaiting an analysis of the data from schools before making a decision on how the proposal might work.

The Football competition for first and second grade will be a seven round draw, with matches in the last seven weeks of the winter season. The third grade rugby competition will involve 9 teams. Each team will play 8 matches and have a bye. The 2014 draw will be a new draw.

Mr Shane Hogan, Head of Riverview, had his last meeting with the GPS Heads. Mr Hogan served as Chairman of the GPS Heads Committee for several years. On your behalf I would like to acknowledge his outstanding contribution to the AAGPS as an organisation of schools wanting to play games against each other for the purpose of educating boys. He was unfailingly supportive of High and our interests during his time in the chair. As a colleague he has collaborated with me frequently and always proved a wise counsellor and friend with a sensible, well-balanced view of life. He will be missed a great deal by the Riverview community and by those associated with the AAGPS.

SBHS have been known to import players from the european leagues to play in there 1sts Volleyball team? is this true? why isn't this being displayed at meetings? sorry to detract.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
It will be interesting to see how the trial matches affect the teams going into the first round. After seeing that Riverview will have had 5 trials to New's 1 or 2 by the first round, i cant help but feel that there may be an upset of the reigning champions. Riverview will be capable of a good win, especially considering the fact that there was very little depth to be seen against Oakhill last week, only one returning firsts player in the back-line of that team, E. Abrahams, an underrated player from last season slotting in at 10. Didn't see the View game, but family friends tell me that they played well with the people they had, many being at Athletics. It will be an interesting match up, does anyone have the other first round fixtures?

Wolf Out.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
I would just like to make a public recognition, and congratulation to our own GPSRow. He has been asked to represent the forum and write articles upon the performance of the Newington games. A great achievement, with all acknowledgement to be granted

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
It will be interesting to see how the trial matches affect the teams going into the first round. After seeing that Riverview will have had 5 trials to New's 1 or 2 by the first round, i cant help but feel that there may be an upset of the reigning champions. Riverview will be capable of a good win, especially considering the fact that there was very little depth to be seen against Oakhill last week, only one returning firsts player in the back-line of that team, E. Abrahams, an underrated player from last season slotting in at 10. Didn't see the View game, but family friends tell me that they played well with the people they had, many being at Athletics. It will be an interesting match up, does anyone have the other first round fixtures?

Wolf Out.
2013 Fixtures List can be found here: http://portals.studentnet.edu.au/sports/uploads/DocArchive/DOCARC0003699.htm

R1 for 1sts & 2nds is: (home team first)
Scots v Kings
Riverview v Newington
Joeys v Shore

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
I would just like to make a public recognition, and congratulation to our own GPSRow. He has been asked to represent the forum and write articles upon the performance of the Newington games. A great achievement, with all acknowledgement to be granted

thanks mate

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
What a pity the relay teams can't run with a rugby ball. Sprinters all at sea when they have to carry, so if you're relying on guys returning from athletics you might have cause for concern.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
What a pity the relay teams can't run with a rugby ball. Sprinters all at sea when they have to carry, so if you're relying on guys returning from athletics you might have cause for concern.

Ah Berserker! I agree - watch them flick a pass at the baton change and then sidestep into someone else's lane! That would improve the times!!!

Ah - what the hell! Put 30 of them out there with one footy and see what happens!!!! :D

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ah Berserker! I agree - watch them flick a pass at the baton change and then sidestep into someone else's lane! That would improve the times!!!

Ah - what the hell! Put 30 of them out there with one footy and see what happens!!!! :D

Wreckless - Newington v Kings GPS R2 15th June - at Stanmore or a curtain raiser at SFS?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Wreckless - Newington v Kings GPS R2 15th June - at Stanmore or a curtain raiser at SFS?

That's the scuttlebutt CTPE but I had heard earlier that one of the teams involved had bailed??? I will consult GPSrow for the inside goss!

BTW - I also congrat GPRrow for getting the gig as the reporter from the Newington side of the fence! This comes with a lot of responsibilty and I know that we can look forward to an informative, entertaining and above all - even handed review of the games!!! ;)

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)

two of the lads that were in the open relay for Newington last year that beat kings were in the 1st and 2nd XV respectively. Remember Matt Hood the speedstar and Josh Mitchell the Bear? restate what you said, im sure other schools had fine athletes in the relays that they would rely on as the season starts.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

Never mind the above CTPE - I'm worried about you Mate! I think we'll have to start calling you "Sybil" !

From Crouch, touch, pause ,engage to : crouch, touch, set to now:

Crouch, BIND, set!

No wonder there is an identity crisis! Please advise if you will go with the IRB and change your sobriquet???

Cheers, :)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
That's the scuttlebutt CTPE but I had heard earlier that one of the teams involved had bailed??? I will consult GPSrow for the inside goss!
I'd heard New were treating it as part of their 150th Anniversary celebrations? The other interesting point is that the first GPS comp game was Kings v New in 1892!

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)

BTW - I also congrat GPRrow for gettin the gig as the reporter from the Newington side of the fence! This comes with a lot of responsibilty and I know that we can look forward to an informative, entertaining and above all - even handed review of the games!!! ;)

ahh yes yes thank you wreckless, I have been consulted by Lee Grant and agreed. IF only I would get paid for doing this work! but luckily I would do it for the boys and the men of the GPS.

And yes on the curtain raiser. It was believed that Kings did pull out of the curtain raiser which was to played on the 15th of June. I think it was a smart decision from kings as any winner of the game would've seemed like the superior or better school to the full-crowded SFS who would sure have family choosing to attend a GPS school and one that is good at rugby!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd heard New were treating it as part of their 150th Anniversary celebrations? The other interesting point is that the first GPS comp game was Kings v New in 1892!

That's one of the big drivers CBS ( the sesquicentenary ) - the sense of tradition and you've got to love it! It would be a massive occasion for all the boys involved and the schools, and the GPS comp in a holistic sense! I hope it goes ahead!!! :)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Never mind the above CTPE - I'm worried about you Mate! I think we'll have to start calling you "Sybil" !

From Crouch, touch, pause ,engage to : crouch, touch, set to now:

Crouch, BIND, set!

No wonder there is an identity crisis! Please advise if you will go with the IEB and change your sobriquet???

Cheers, :)
I think that in 2013 it'll be CTS - the CBS won't be happening until 2015 at the earliest as I understand it. Can I say that it's all about de-powering the hit - but ultimately in the dark arts of front row play it's really about technique - Benn Robinson (ex King's dare I say) has shown this time and time again against some absolute monster tight heads.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
ahh yes yes thank you wreckless, I have been consulted by Lee Grant and agreed. IF only I would get paid for doing this work! but luckily I would do it for the boys and the men of the GPS.

Lee is the Man! I did one report last year at Kings and it bloody near finished me - very intense when you're not just swanning about ( as I was when I reported on Newington vs. The Bye in 2012! ).

Seriously - good luck with it! Looking forward to some actual footy ( as everyone can tell from the amount of dribble I have been contributing!!! ) . :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

One would hope that they have a better 150 anniversary than the Students had in their 1st grade Shute Shield game that was the curtain raiser to their 150th Anniversary Dinner. That was a loss to the Woodies (I think) on No 1 Oval.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee is the Man! I did one report last year at Kings and it bloody near finished me - very intense when you're not just swanning about ( as I was when I reported on Newington vs. The Bye in 2012! ).

Seriously - good luck with it! Looking forward to some actual footy ( as everyone can tell from the amount of dribble I have been contributing!!! ) . :)

New vs The Bye was one of the most outstanding match reports. Sad to see them relegated to ISA. I think they will maintain their consistent performance there.

Mrs Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)

Wolf Out.
At least two of New's backline were at athletics and one was out injured. The teams will change considerably when all the players come back but at least it gave some of the year 11s a taste of what it's like to play opens and hopefully they can step up if called upon. All the teams only had 1 training session together before playing oakhill so there is a lot of improvement to come

Status
Not open for further replies.