• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilkinson's Right Boot

Stan Wickham (3)
I think riverview are not copping the credit they deserve. Yes scots have an undefeated premiership which is an amazing achievement. View were the far better team yesterday especially considering they were missing Henry Hutchinson. Their scrambling defence was again very good which kept them in the game. Thought they were unlucky not to score in the final stages of play with the ref ruling an offside from the charge down. View 12 scored an amazing try where he beat 4 or 5 players. All up though very good game! Gps rugby lives on

I don't understand this point of view. Unless there is blatantly unfair refereeing, isn't the better team the one that wins on the day? It seems like every time an underdog comes close to winning, either with a small loss or a draw, they are called the better team, even if they didn't win.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I think riverview are not copping the credit they deserve. Yes scots have an undefeated premiership which is an amazing achievement. View were the far better team yesterday especially considering they were missing Henry Hutchinson. Their scrambling defence was again very good which kept them in the game. Thought they were unlucky not to score in the final stages of play with the ref ruling an offside from the charge down. View 12 scored an amazing try where he beat 4 or 5 players. All up though very good game! Gps rugby lives on

Ah James...a diehard Riverview fan I imagine.
The final table reads
Scots 10 wins
Riverview 7 wins
Joeys 4 wins and a draw
Newington 4 wins
Shore 2 wins and a draw
Kings 2 wins
I think that is a pretty fair reflection of the season.
Scots had big wins over all schools other than Riverview.
Shore the only school that could legitimately claim a higher place in the pecking order based on late season form
Scots scored nearly 200 points more than View and conceded 50 less.
I saw the game yesterday and it was a close affair.
Neither team were dominant.
You should peak from behind those rose tinted spectacles every now and then!
Onwards to 2015.... I can't imagine who you'll be tipping to win James.

Theking12

Stan Wickham (3)
I was at joeys number one yesterday, my brother played in the game before the joeys 5th vs new 4th. I watched the beginning of the match and stayed for the entire game. The score was 45-0 at the finish. I was expecting quite poor quality but with fantastic running rugby the 5th surprised me, the team was unstoppable. They secured the breakdown and spread it wide looking dangerous for the entire match. The team did not look like a 5th side and I overheard the coach telling a parent that the team has over 500 points for and 25 odd against. As an old boy I was ashamed at times throughout the match as the new boys turned their frustration into fighting but the joeys boys had great discipline. This obviously shows Joeys is still a dominant force in the GPS with teams capable of playing higher grades and easily putting them away. I must ask is it the pure numbers joeys has in the sport that makes them so dominant or coaching or what? How is joeys so dominant throughout the grades??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
It was good to know that St. Joseph's had their first win against Newington in the 1st XV in 4 years.

They scored 5 tries to 3. If you didn't see the game, my 35mins highlight package will be up on youtube sometime monday evening. It was so cold and wind chilled by late afternoon that my fingers were numb and shivering, so excuse a bit more camera shake than usual. The boys however put on a great contest with few errors, and as i said before, the pitch was mint.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
GPSrow was just having a Newington stir sidesteppa but he's a good lad.

Thanks for posting all those videos during the season - please drop all of the last round in the blog Discussion when you get a chance.

PS - anybody see Scots v View? Was it Ryan McCauley taking all those View throws for Scots in the lineouts?

S

spirit of cupertino

GPSrow was just having a Newington stir sidesteppa but he's a good lad.

Thanks for posting all those videos during the season - please drop all of the last round in the blog Discussion when you get a chance.

PS - anybody see Scots v View? Was it Ryan McCauley taking all those View throws for Scots in the lineouts?

Yep. He's looking like a John Eales in the making. TSC lineout throws performed by their flanker Woods. Sedgeman hooking in the scrums, and collecting a nice headbut in tyhe closing minutes.
Good day for TSC with View unable to win 1sts, 2nds or 3rds (and gifting TSC two championships) and big party afterwards. Love em or loath em TSC's players' deft pop-passes while under the pump in the rain was a superb spectacle that will last until next season.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep. He's looking like a John Eales in the making. TSC lineout throws performed by their flanker Woods. Sedgeman hooking in the scrums, and collecting a nice headbut in tyhe closing minutes.
Good day for TSC with View unable to win 1sts, 2nds or 3rds (and gifting TSC two championships) and big party afterwards. Love em or loath em TSC's players' deft pop-passes while under the pump in the rain was a superb spectacle that will last until next season.

I think its 1 championship and 1 premiership

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Report on the Third XV comp, please.

Does the Spaghetti Cup still exist?

Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 9.18.42 am.png

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Guess who's back, back again. Thats right, the Wolf is back online. After an extended break I have decided to again rejoin my fellows in the backline that is Green and Gold. Very predictable result overall this year, bar Newington's incredible thrashing, at the hands of our oriental friends. I must I liked the look of the competition much better towards the end, when it evened out, giving some shocks to he heavy hitters. I know this post is late, but I wanted to express my happiness at being back on the boards.

Much love,

Wolf Out.

Gobstar

Stan Wickham (3)

To Riverview's credit, I thought their first half against Scots in the first round was one of the best halves of schoolboy rugby I've seen in a long time. They were quick and aggressive in defence and crisp and smart in attack. Unfortunately, fatigue, the wind and a yellow card saw them come undone in that 2nd half.

As for last Saturday's match, 'View had an extra man advantage in the first half when Scots' busiest player was carded (you want to talk about scrambling defence?) but couldn't take a big enough advantage and were ground down by a Scots team that had learnt to come from behind for most of the latter half of the season.

To say View were the better team is subjective and you're entitled to your opinion but to say they were "the far better team" ignores both the scoreboard, the final table and probably the opinion of 50%+ of the crowd on the day.

Gobstar

Stan Wickham (3)
Dumbest post in 148 pages.
How is it arrogant to want to play with your mates with whom you have played with for 8 or more years.
It was in addition to his School obligations not instead of.

Sounds like he has run over the top of you,or one of yours a few times.

Wanting to play with your club mates in a Grand Final as a teenager is understandable. Changing schools when an adult in authority rules against you could be seen as a dummy spit.

While he never ran over the top of me or one of mine, his Kings (ex)-team mates may have felt that he ran AWAY from them.

I see it as petulance vs loyalty. You're free to disagree. There's no right or wrong - it just means we have different values.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wanting to play with your club mates in a Grand Final as a teenager is understandable. Changing schools when an adult in authority rules against you could be seen as a dummy spit.

While he never ran over the top of me or one of mine, his Kings (ex)-team mates may have felt that he ran AWAY from them.

I see it as petulance vs loyalty. You're free to disagree. There's no right or wrong - it just means we have different values.

What's wrong is the personal attack however much you think you know you don't know the full story.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
I think it had more to do with philosophical opposition to Scots' methodology than a fear of "open" rugby.

Open your eyes. These are part of a psychological game that Riverview wanted to play out.
Now here is a funny thing, and you just might think on it before responding, but it was precisely the week prior to the View game that saw the media hype directed at Scots hit the press.
You would need a Winston Terracini to get View off this hook.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Open your eyes. These are part of a psychological game that Riverview wanted to play out.
Now here is a funny thing, and you just might think on it before responding, but it was precisely the week prior to the View game that saw the media hype directed at Scots hit the press.
You would need a Winston Terracini to get View off this hook.

It also coincided with Scots' record 100 point flogging of a team with 2 Australian schoolboys, which seemed to be the subject of most articles I read.
It's interesting, though, that you think Riverview has the ability to completely influence the reporting of multiple news outlets.

Sarcasm aside, there was definitely a psychological element to it - they wanted to change the approach and calculus of Scots and the GPS, and - given the news reports and statements of various headmasters - it may have worked.

To suggest that Riverview had anything to fear from a Scots trial/7s comp is folly, especially after their testing performances against Scots.

Status
Not open for further replies.