• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
It would be beyond my wildest dreams that they name Joseph as The Amazing Technicolour Dream Coach!!! They'll only get one shot at this - let's hope they find the right guy! ( a Joseph that is! ) The sub-editors would be frothing at the mouth!!! :D Wreckless
At this rate the GPS could just about add the 2 CAS teams and 1 or 2 others to their comp and call that the comp the NSW trials.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Is it an arms race or is it that other schools have developed or are developing better rugby programs to get the best out of their pool of players. It is not a coincidence that Joeys have been such a powerhouse of rugby talent for so many years. When I get the opportunity to watch Joey's boys play, there seems to be a greater level of commitment and passion in what they are doing on the rugby field and I am not just talking about the A teams. Even in their C, D, E and F teams there just seems to be a certain "hardiness" about the style of rugby that they play. A couple of decades ago (I am showing my age), in the Qld GPS comp it was Nudgee that had that presence.

Look at the dominance of Shore when it comes to rowing. No one is suggesting that they are involved in an arms race in that sport. May be they just do it better than the rest of them? You can't underestimate the mental toughness and inherent belief systems ingrained in these boys.

Other schools such as TSC have been investing in better facilities including the well publicised "high altitude training" room, strength and conditioning programs, nutritionists etc. They are also working in conjunction with local universities in sports research, which I am sure will lead to further improvements in their sports programs particularly in the areas of injury prevention and rehabilitation.

Lets also keep it in perspective and remember Sport is just a microcosm of what these schools are about. Arms race?.....who knows. I tend to take a more positive view and say they are striving to be the best they can possibly be, not just in rugby but in all aspects of school life, be that sport, the arts and most importantly academics.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
One of the best articles that explains the Joeys phenomenon ... love them or hate them ... Joeys simply have the most spirit, and play the most entertaining brand of rugby .... either way with Joeys facing Shore ....I thought it timely

Sacred Ground

LAST Saturday, the student body of St Joseph's College - more than 800 boys - stood in a state of collective shock. Some were in tears. All were stunned. They had just witnessed something none of them had ever seen before.

The St Joseph's First XV had just lost a GPS rugby match on its hallowed home ground at Hunters Hill.

Out on the field, hundreds of boys from Shore engulfed their team. It was the first time in a generation that Shore had beaten the Joey's Firsts. The first win in 18 years. The first win on Joey's home ground in 27 years. They had just won by a single point, 19-18.

Normally, the Joey's boys would have begun drifting back to the school. But none of them moved. Even after the distraught Firsts had trooped back up through the centre of the grandstand to the deafening chant of "Walk On", most of the boys still did not leave the stand.

And when the Shore Firsts noticed that Joey's was collectively, spontaneously, waiting for them, they formed a line and filed back up the steps in the centre of the grandstand, through the massed ranks of Joey's cerise and blue. Nobody said a word. The only sound was that of the school simply applauding the Shore Firsts.

http://www.godfathers.com.au/god-fathers-articles/1996/8/16/sacred-ground/

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
And for the record I think Joeys are going to start firing this weekend ... and that new scoreboard will show a clean sweep across all the A teams ... with the broader results to be seen on the Joeys twitter site, for anyone wondering who has the stronger rugby programme

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
PS Unless I am mistaken that Shore team that beat Joeys contained Phil Waugh and Mike Hercus ... with I think the later scoring the intercept try ... unless I am mistaken?:confused:

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
PS Unless I am mistaken that Shore team that beat Joeys contained Phil Waugh and Mike Hercus . with I think the later scoring the intercept try . unless I am mistaken?:confused:

Correct plus I recall Al Baxter and possibly Justin Purll. The previous sportsmaster at Shore had a very large photo of the team running out through the Joeys grandstand.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
any team lists ... or have they all been eaten, as instructed?

match of round definitely Newington v Riverview ... think this will be view's first real test, and think with the right game plan Newington would be a chance ...as Newington have some excellent players in key positions (most notably Kennewell, Mellor, Serhon and Fifita)

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
The fickled fingers of the draw makers haven't done Kings any favours with their first two games away to the season favourites Riverview & Scots, going into the term break.

I hope that Kings can summon some stern stuff tomorrow and push Scots all the way.

H

harrysboy

The fickled fingers of the draw makers haven't done Kings any favours with their first two games away to the season favourites Riverview & Scots, going into the term break.

I hope that Kings can summon some stern stuff tomorrow and push Scots all the way.

Didn't the same thing happen to Kings in 2013, but against Scots and Newington (both away)? (You will recall that those two teams went on to become joint premiers.)

If my memory is correct, Kings then bounced back to win four of their remaining eight games during the rest of their home and away season, including wins against Shore (x2), Joeys and Riverview.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Didn't the same thing happen to Kings in 2013, but against Scots and Newington (both away)? (You will recall that those two teams went on to become joint premiers.)

If my memory is correct, Kings then bounced back to win four of their remaining eight games during the rest of their home and away season, including wins against Shore (x2), Joeys and Riverview.

I think you are right. They certainly finished the season in fine style.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Strangely quiet on this thread.
I sense nerves.

3rd XV fixtures this week:

Joeys v Shore
Kings v Riverview
Scots v High
TAS v Grammar
New v Bye

Joeys should prevail against Shore, likewise Scots over High and New to account for the Bye.
Not sure about Kings and view and TAS v Grammar?

How are the Grammar boys looking? Did they go up Friday night?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

Joeys v Shore
Kings v Riverview
Scots v High
TAS v Grammar
New v Bye

Joeys should prevail against Shore, likewise Scots over High and New to account for the Bye.

I fancy New against The Bye! The Bye's form has flatlined over the last couple of years and I can't see them putting up much opposition this early in the season! :) Wreckless

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

No, they didn't bounce back from anything.
They just played the two strongest teams first.then beat the two weakest teams,then replicated the form in the second round.
Nothing changed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Joeys v Shore
Kings v Riverview
Scots v High
TAS v Grammar
New v Bye

Friday lunchtime.
Full contingent for the first time this year.
TAS rumored to have a very good 12. They have 5 in country schools.
I'd say they'd be favourites for this game, at least.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
S
Sorry bud but I think you'll find your wrong. Shore has a strict waiting list and 99% of the boys in year 12 started in year 7. The only reason why they wouldn't have start in year 7 is if someone left and a place became available. For both boarding and the day school system this exists. It is becoming harder and harder to get in.

That is what rickety knees was talking about - there has been replacements at all schools and some turn out to play in the 1st XV - like at shore.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
In fact i think you will find that Shore has a boy playing in the 1st XV this year who has started in year 10. In addition the 2nd XV has a boy who arrived in year 11. I know of others who have started in year 10 as boarders and live in Sydney. Shore better hope they don't all play 1st XV at the same time or we will be talking about it in the other thread !

They are not first generation shore boys

Status
Not open for further replies.