• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortballking

Herbert Moran (7)
I th
Solid win for Joeys who got off the a great start leadinf 17-0 after 15 minutes. Shore fought back but in the end Joeys put it away late 34-19. Strong performances from Horton, Duffy, O'Shea, McCutcheon, McDonnell and Wright. From Shore Woodhill, Emery and the 6 looked good. Joeys fullback Tom Wright put in his contender for Try of the Year with a blistering 60m effort, burning half the Shore backline. Joeys 2s and 3s also had strong wins and look very very good. With that here is my tip for the GPS 1s side:

1. Fifita (Newington)
2. Serhorn (Newington)
3. Horton (Joeys)
4. Peterson (View)
5. Rudolph (Scots)
6. Hayson (View)
7. Woodhill (Shore)
8. Crichton (Scots)
9. Duffy (Joeys)
10. McGregor (View) or O'Shea (Joeys)
11. Hendrie (Scots)
12. Freeman (View) or McDonnell (Joeys)
13. Hutchinson (View)
14. Sepesa (Newington)
15. Porter (Scots)

Assuming that Kane and Lehmann are both injured from Kings and the news from today that Kennewell (Newington) Condon (View) and Stiles (Scots) are all out.
i think Emery should be in the halfback position

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There was more than one occasion that New should have scored through the backs, but the because of the quite obvious lack of being a "team" they did not score.

Or, perhaps, they didn't score because of Riverview's muggleton-coached defence.
I agree to an extent that Riverview weren't at their best, but given the conditions I thought they gave a good performance.

Vunipola Fifita, Cepesa and (when he wasn't injured) Kennewell were all excellent for Newington, though I doubt I'm the only one to have made this assessment.
Hosea Fotukava and Jack McGregor were excellent, I think they should both be selections for the GPS 1sts.

Riverview's defence was superb - the were numerous times when they were scrambling/under pressure and managed to get things together, and their one-on-one hits (lead by Bowditch and Peterson) were effective, and at times brutal.

I don't think it's fair to discredit Riverview's title chances based on this performance. Newington are a strong side, and, given the poor conditions on Johnson oval a 15 point scoreline isn't too bad.

If Riverview had of played a bit better they could have won by 40+, but all credit to Newington for a good game.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Solid win for Joeys who got off the a great start leadinf 17-0 after 15 minutes. Shore fought back but in the end Joeys put it away late 34-19. Strong performances from Horton, Duffy, O'Shea, McCutcheon, McDonnell and Wright. From Shore Woodhill, Emery and the 6 looked good. Joeys fullback Tom Wright put in his contender for Try of the Year with a blistering 60m effort, burning half the Shore backline. Joeys 2s and 3s also had strong wins and look very very good. With that here is my tip for the GPS 1s side:

1. Fifita (Newington)
2. Serhorn (Newington)
3. Horton (Joeys)
4. Peterson (View)
5. Rudolph (Scots)
6. Hayson (View)
7. Woodhill (Shore)
8. Crichton (Scots)
9. Duffy (Joeys)
10. McGregor (View) or O'Shea (Joeys)
11. Hendrie (Scots)
12. Freeman (View) or McDonnell (Joeys)
13. Hutchinson (View)
14. Sepesa (Newington)
15. Porter (Scots)

Assuming that Kane and Lehmann are both injured from Kings and the news from today that Kennewell (Newington) Condon (View) and Stiles (Scots) are all out.
Who is the 12 for scots?
I just think that the two named don't have all facets of the 12 game yet. For the View lad his job is catch and get it to HH as quickly as possible. Could also work on reset in the D line after 1;1 tackle.
The Joe Boy seemed confronted the other week with many big men coming around the corner. In saying that, they will acquit themselves well with the outside men they have.
And Hayson will be in stiff competition with "Little" Charlie Smith, with I think Smith getting the lollies

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I th
i think Emery should be in the halfback position

I agree, and I would also swap Freeman and Porter, I've always viewed them the other way round.

Your front row is also all wrong. Hosea should be #1 and Pritchard is a definite selection at #2 - both proved as much today.
I also think Horton is a controversial choice - he's a good hooker, sure, but that doesn't justify placing him at #3.

For mine the team should be:

1. Fotukava (Riverview)
2. Pritchard (Riverview)
3. Fifita (Newington)
4. Peterson (Riverview)
5. Rudolph (Scots) - maybe, I haven't seen enough of him.
6. Hayson (Riverview)/Woodhill (Shore).
7. Woodhill (Shore)/Deer (Scots).
8. Crichton (Scots)
9. Emery (Shore)
10. McGregor (View).
11. Hendrie (Scots) - maybe, I haven't seen him. If he's not injured, then Kennewell would have to be a serious chance.
12. Hutchinson (Riverview)
13. Porter (Scots)
14. Sepesa (Newington)
15. Freeman (Riverview)

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Who is the 12 for scots?
I just think that the two named don't have all facets of the 12 game yet. For the View lad his job is catch and get it to HH as quickly as possible. Could also work on reset in the D line after 1;1 tackle.
The Joe Boy seemed confronted the other week with many big men coming around the corner. In saying that, they will acquit themselves well with the outside men they have.
And Hayson will be in stiff competition with "Little" Charlie Smith, with I think Smith getting the lollies

Freeman isn't the normal view #12, you're getting him confused with Pirina. Pirina's normal job is probably to get it to HH, but Freeman normally plays #15, and has done so in the view 1st XV for the past 3 years.

I am not sure about Charlie Smith, I had honestly never heard of him till recently. He's got good buzz, and I am looking forward to seeing him. Hayson has been consistently good though, with almost every game being close to MOTM level - so don't discount him just yet.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I agree, and I would also swap Freeman and Porter, I've always viewed them the other way round.

Your front row is also all wrong. Hosea should be #1 and Pritchard is a definite selection at #2 - both proved as much today.
I also think Horton is a controversial choice - he's a good hooker, sure, but that doesn't justify placing him at #3.

For mine the team should be:

1. Fotukava (Riverview)
2. Pritchard (Riverview)
3. Fifita (Newington)
4. Peterson (Riverview)
5. Rudolph (Scots) - maybe, I haven't seen enough of him.
6. Hayson (Riverview)/Woodhill (Shore).
7. Woodhill (Shore)/Deer (Scots).
8. Crichton (Scots)
9. Emery (Shore)
10. McGregor (View).
11. Hendrie (Scots) - maybe, I haven't seen him. If he's not injured, then Kennewell would have to be a serious chance.
12. Hutchinson (Riverview)
13. Porter (Scots)
14. Sepesa (Newington)
15. Freeman (Riverview)
AKA.... If you havent seen Hendrie, welcome to the new world 198cm, 115? kg evasive and fast.

And as far as Toby Rudolph goes, more mobile than a lot of 8's and hard. Real hard

I watched the Men from scots the other weekend against the lads from SJC last week and they reeked havoc. I think that the view backers will be more than surprised.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
AKA.. If you havent seen Hendrie, welcome to the new world 198cm, 115? kg evasive and fast.

And as far as Toby Rudolph goes, more mobile than a lot of 8's and hard.

I watched the Men form scots the other weekend against the lads from SJC last week and they reeked havoc. I think that the view backers will be more than surprised.

Westlake, I assure you, these days no one is surprised at the quality of individuals that seem to show up at Scots in time for the first XV ;).

From your characterisation, these players sound great, and I am really looking forward to seeing them for Scots, GPS, and whatever other teams they end up in.

I am still backing View for this comp. That doesn't mean that I don't recognise the strength of Scots, and I don't intend to be ignorant and claim that they're not good, but Riverview are still a very, very, good side.

whistleblower

Bob McCowan (2)
Wonderful commeradie after the Scots v Kings match today with both sets of parents feeling used - using the naivity of the school students and parents in what is essentially a money making exercise is now being seen for what it is. Best post match cordial in years.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wonderful commeradie after the Scots v Kings match today with both sets of parents feeling used - using the naivity of the school students and parents in what is essentially a money making exercise is now being seen for what it is. Best post match cordial in years.

Sounds interesting, care to elaborate?

john williamson

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just released on tha AAGPS website

GPS 1st XV
M Laimani (N) M Serhon (N) V Fifita (N) R McCauley (S) B Petterson (I) M Girdler (S) C Menzies (I) A Crichton (S) T Strang (9) J McGregor (I) G Porter (S)
D England (S) H Hutchinson (I) T Wright (J) B Freeman (I)

GPS 2nd XV
H Fotukava (I) E Pritchard (I) J Sedgman (S) N Gittoes (J) T Piroddi (N) J Hayson (I) J Woodhill (E) C Smith (S) N Duffy (J) C O’Shea (J) S Kennewell (N) L Latinipulu (N) W McDonnell (J) C Hurley (I) S Tarogi (N)

GPS WHITE
J Bowditch (I) T Horton (J) L Muir (E) J Preece (E) T Rudolf (S) H Taylor (K) C Clifford (N) J Digby (G) H Emery (E) J Mackie (G) M Dowsett (E) A Sheldon (G) T McHutcheon (J) MHendrie (S) B Tan (G)

GPS BLUE
A Hall (K) J Burke (K) J Lee (K) K Wingti (J) N Brown (K) J Doyle (E) T Deer (S) D Ballantyne (K) L Condon (I) C Harris (K) J Prindiville (S) C King (E) H Kemball (E) T McBryde (I) J Richards (K)

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just released on tha AAGPS website

GPS 1st XV
M Laimani (N) M Serhon (N) V Fifita (N) R McCauley (S) B Petterson (I) M Girdler (S) C Menzies (I) A Crichton (S) T Strang (9) J McGregor (I) G Porter (S)
D England (S) H Hutchinson (I) T Wright (J) B Freeman (I)

GPS 2nd XV
H Fotukava (I) E Pritchard (I) J Sedgman (S) N Gittoes (J) T Piroddi (N) J Hayson (I) J Woodhill (E) C Smith (S) N Duffy (J) C O’Shea (J) S Kennewell (N) L Latinipulu (N) W McDonnell (J) C Hurley (I) S Tarogi (N)

GPS WHITE
J Bowditch (I) T Horton (J) L Muir (E) J Preece (E) T Rudolf (S) H Taylor (K) C Clifford (N) J Digby (G) H Emery (E) J Mackie (G) M Dowsett (E) A Sheldon (G) T McHutcheon (J) MHendrie (S) B Tan (G)

GPS BLUE
A Hall (K) J Burke (K) J Lee (K) K Wingti (J) N Brown (K) J Doyle (E) T Deer (S) D Ballantyne (K) L Condon (I) C Harris (K) J Prindiville (S) C King (E) H Kemball (E) T McBryde (I) J Richards (K)

Awful, political selections as usual. How could GPS possibly justify an all Newington front row in light of Riverview's dominance over them today.
Pritchard and Fotukava should feel hard done by, while Woodhill, Sepesa, Kennewell, et al. have been unfairly screwed over. Certain individuals in the 2nds are far better than those in the 1sts.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter too much, this will be filtered out at higher levels (e.g. NSW), as it normally is, but I am simply stunned by some of these selections.

chaz

Stan Wickham (3)
Awful, political selections as usual. How could GPS possibly justify an all Newington front row in light of Riverview's dominance over them today.
Pritchard and Fotukava should feel hard done by, while Woodhill, Sepesa, Kennewell, et al. have been unfairly screwed over. Certain individuals in the 2nds are far better than those in the 1sts.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter too much, this will be filtered out at higher levels (e.g. NSW), as it normally is, but I am simply stunned by some of these selections.
V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk view did not not dominate up front today, only through the bank line.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk view did not not dominate up front today, only through the bank line.

I beg to differ, the mobility of Pritchard in defence was a key reason that Newington failed to capitalise on their numerous breaks, while Fotukava was extremely effective as a ball runner. Bowditch's one on one tackling was superb, and clearly did damage - as usual Riverview tackled their opposition into submission.

I honestly can't accept that Serhorn was better than Pritchard, nor that Laimani was better than Fotukava. They simply weren't. They were completely outplayed.

Besides, even if it was the case that they were better today - which they weren't - those 2 players have been consistently good through the season (inc. trials), I genuinely thought both were guaranteed selections, ESPECIALLY given the fact the Fotukava played Aus. A last year.

chaz

Stan Wickham (3)

Sepesa and kennewell have not been that impressive in the 2 GPS game so far. I am a New fan. They have not made that many metres. Perhaps under- utilised by the new side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sepesa and kennewell have not been that impressive in the 2 GPS game so far. I am a New fan. They have not made that many metres. Perhaps under- utilised by the new side.

What game were you watching today? Sepesa was providing essential go-forward for New, and was their best back. I say that with all measures of objectivity, as I don't support New, but I admire him as a player, and I feel as if he has been unfairly treated with this selection.
I understand that Kennwell is injured, so this selection is somewhat justified, but I have seen what he's capable of, and he is better than some of the options that have been taken in the 1s.

chaz

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree that it is political. Selectors have to back 'previous selections', which I think is to other's disadvantage.

john williamson

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree that it is political. Selectors have to back 'previous selections', which I think is to other's disadvantage.

Not in every case (Hosea), although I do think that it is good that they've realised that he was over rated last year and in my opinion is again this year.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Last year was last year

That's a silly argument. GPS selections are largely based upon performances leading up to and outside of the specific GPS season, regardless of what they want you to believe. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, after all 2 games does not a good judgment make, but I feel as if some players have in fact disproportionately succeeded on the back of reputation this season.

Nonetheless, what's done is done, and, while selections are wrong, the right talent *should* shine through after the somewhat rigorous NSW schools comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.