• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As stated before not the best of showings from Joeys yesterday. Their structure looked good for the most part but the execution was very poor. Not to much to worry about in my opinion seeing as it was the first game of footy for 7 boys and some better decision making on the day could have seen Joeys atleast 20 points up. The seconds looked very very good and agree with those who say there could be some changes, 11 Dylan Grant, 13 Lachie Phillips, 9 Banjo Travears and 7 James Margan are all pushing for places. Only boys in the 1s who were really impressive were 12 Willo McDonnell as per usual, 5 Nathan Gitteos who could have a real impact on this years comp with his size and strength and MOTM 15 Tom Wright who was at his entertaining best. Credit aswell to the Oakhill boys who are a really gutsy side and should do very well against Auggies in both ISA and Waratah Shield.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There isn't really a debate is there, just observations.

And we won't know the answer for 2-3 or up to 5 years.
Absolutely, though it depends what the question is.

If it's: Is he too small to play professional rugby when James O'Connor wasn't? …… It's a question one could give a good opinion about now, but is unseemly to ask that about an U/17 player.

Incidentally, see the comments of the St. Augustines' manager in the blog on the game between his team and View.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/riverview-beat-st-augustines-in-major-trial/

YNWA

Frank Row (1)
Reporting from Weigall yesterday and Grammar's 1st went down 21-0 against St. Pats 1s. While Newington 3rds were a complete mismatch for St Pats 3rds winning 52-0. Any other 3rds results from yesterday?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
any word on grammar-pats? I managed to catch the thirds putting 50 points or so on the boys from strathfield, did the 1sts and 2nds have similar luck?

No.
Grammar 3rds were playing Pats 5ths.
Grammar 2nds were in it for 3/4 of the game bit were dusted in the last 1/4.
Grammar 1sts were respectable against a much bigger side but they lost their 13 to a bad concussion and their captain and No 8 to a fractured eye socket and were missing a couple of regulars already - so they will be tested in the short term.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Reporting from Weigall yesterday and Grammar's 1st went down 21-0 against St. Pats 1s. While Newington 3rds were a complete mismatch for St Pats 3rds winning 52-0. Any other 3rds results from yesterday?

Joeys 3rds went down 26-22 to St Greg's 1s in an extremely physical game at Campbelltown.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The game has moved on a lot in the last wee while but to add to the discussion about the size of the dog in the fight vs the size of the fight in the dog, did anyone catch the Ray Price interview on ABC Shute Shield yesterday?

There is a post of the clip on the SHute Shield Thread for those interested who missed it, but he was recalling when he was in the first Parramatta 2 Blues team to make it to the Shute Shield Grand Final. He said he was 73 kilograms (or thereabouts) at that time. Up against the big boppas back then it was the "Cumberland Throw" that stopped them every time. No concern from him about the aspects of relative size differences.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
No.
Grammar 3rds were playing Pats 5ths.
Grammar 2nds were in it for 3/4 of the game bit were dusted in the last 1/4.
Grammar 1sts were respectable against a much bigger side but they lost their 13 to a bad concussion and their captain and No 8 to a fractured eye socket and were missing a couple of regulars already - so they will be tested in the short term.

worrying signs for Grammar, not sure how the many of the boys from the lower teams will be able to make the adjustment to 1sts/2nds. From what I saw in thirds match they had a few solid individual performers, but I feel any further injuries will be a real test of Grammars depth.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
But he's too small at 80 kgs.
That's why he caught my eye at the athletics - I'd read the big wraps: and he must have played when I was at the ground but didn't pay much attention. And then I saw him and I thought - where is the kid going to play as an adult?

Whether 17 plays top flight one day I'm not sure, but he is a small bloke who runs fast and hits even harder and that is beautiful to watch.

I forgot to mention the hooker for View who also had a blinder. He wasn't out there putting on big hits but he got through a mountain of work and deserves an honourable mention.

Best from Auggies looked to be their 15. A very smart footballer who looked very dangerous ball in hand and was always in the right position defensively. I hate to think of the damage he could do with some front-foot ball.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The majority of what I would like to contribute about the Auggie's - View game has been said - suffice to say I thought Riverview looked good, but their set piece was awful. Their scrum, line out and backline play needs rapid improvement, or else they might struggle.

Nonetheless, I thought Riverview did enough to position themselves as legitimate contenders for this years premiership. Auggies were very strong, and you could tell they were throwing the kitchen sink at Riverview.

When Hutchinson came on in the second half he was nothing short of impressive. He scored a try with his first touch of the ball - literally - and demonstrated some awesome skill around the breakdown and in the tackle (i.e. making pilfers and stripping the ball). I really like the look of him at #12, and I've held this position for years (refer to a forum posting from ages ago).

For mine Beau Peterson - #4, Evan Pritchard - #2 and Jack Hayson - #8 were excellent, while players like McGregor, Freeman, and Fotukava played well enough to prove that they're legitimate contenders for GPS honours.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There is no doubt of his speed, skill and strength at this level. The question for the future will be whether he can play against people like Ma'a Nonu in professional rugby.

BTW you do realise the surname of the Head of School at St. Augs?
I think he answered that last year.
Of all the rated Schoolboys in the last few years I think he is the easiest to see making the grade.
Usually you have to consider how big kids will go,once they have lost their size advantage.We already know can can bring down big boppas cleanly,without help.
IMO injury is the only barrier that might stop him making the grade.

Gil Bertilike

Frank Row (1)
Like many, I was relieved yesterday. I thought the game was very good with the boys from both sides giving it all. I think a few less excuses might stand the SJC in good stead this season.

In the fair dinkum department, Oakhill were very unlucky to lose. Some commentators on other threads are correct.... Not one decision went their way and IMHO at least two were game changers.

Let's not hide behind players being rusty. Talking to Oakhill parents, I'm told that their captain was out injured yesterday and at least two more boys who played in their 1st XV last year did not play.

I not sure how anyone thought the score flattered the visitors let alone suggesting that SJC could easily have been up by 20. IMHO to adopt that mindset is to embark upon a long and disappointing season.

I agree that Gittoes and McDonnell were the standouts. I also thought the Oakhill 5, 7 and 9 were dominant.

I dont think much weight can be given to the 2nd XV game. The Oakhill team were completely overwhelmed from the opening whistle. Some of the Oakhill defence was woeful. The main game was a different kettle of fish.

Congratulations to the SJC boys for playing to the end. Well done to the Oakhill boys who deserve acknowledgement and respect for their effort. I can tell you the SJC 1st XV respect them ... Perhaps our supporters should too.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I think he answered that last year.
Of all the rated Schoolboys in the last few years I think he is the easiest to see making the grade.
Usually you have to consider how big kids will go,once they have lost their size advantage.We already know can can bring down big boppas cleanly,without help.
IMO injury is the only barrier that might stop him making the grade.
It would be hard to imagine that HH isn't being sized up for Australian 7's gear about now. Blistering pace, great defense and strength over the ball make him a certainty. The 15 man game may be on hold in the short term, which wouldn't hurt as he finishes up his growing. He would have only just turned 17 so he has a few more years ahead of him before too many big calls need to be made. I agree with the comparisons to JOC (James O'Connor), in terms of talent not buffoonery. I think his lack of size became a non issue last year when he very effectively shut down the 2 big Newington lads on many occasions. He is a real talent that I suspect will have a different pathway through 7's for a while before he needs to either make the transition to 15 man game or not. But for now its great to be able to enjoy watching him play.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Riverview would take a lot of heart from their match against Auggies. The final score probably reflects the evenness of the forward battle. 2 large and aggressive packs going at it was a great spectacle. If Riverview can maintain that level of aggression and intensity they will be a force. They have plenty to work on around set piece, but have a very creative and dangerous back line to compliment their forwards. Sounds like Scots are travelling pretty well. Is there any feed back around kings pre season..

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Congratulations to the SJC boys for playing to the end. Well done to the Oakhill boys who deserve acknowledgement and respect for their effort. I can tell you the SJC 1st XV respect them . Perhaps our supporters should too.

I assume you are aiming these comments at me and I would just like to clear things up. At no point did I mean to disrespect Oakhill, in fact I commented on how strong of a side they are and how they will be strong contenders in both there comps. In terms of the refereeing I can see why Oakhill would feel hard down by and yes Joeys 4 was lucky to not get red, but there was another incident involving Oakhills 13 on Joeys 12 along with quiet a few involving Joeys 3 and numerous Oakhill players which went unpunished. In terms of being 20 points up, Joeys had about 4 opportunities right on their own line that should have been 5 points if not for dropped balls or bad decisions. Not a reflection on the scoreline 'flattering' Oakhill merely on missed opportunities. As one Riverview boy who was at the game said "it was a team of boys you could tell haven't played much together". However no excuses from the Joeys boys, they were lucky to win that one and will no doubt need to step up if they are going to be competitive later on in the season.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There is no doubt of his speed, skill and strength at this level. The question for the future will be whether he can play against people like Ma'a Nonu in professional rugby.

BTW you do realise the surname of the Head of School at St. Augs?

JOC (James O'Connor) did OK in Super Rugby but lets leave it.

The other matter: yeah - it's common knowledge.

He told me before the game that HH was on crutches on Thursday night and hadn't picked up a rugby ball this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Hutchison must be young enough that, if still at school, he could play oz schools in 2015

Yeah, he could be at school next year but people mentioned earlier in this thread that he wouldn't be.

I should have asked his dad when I spoke to him on Saturday, but I forgot to.

You were the first to ask about his weight. He was 80 kgs last year, most likely will weigh more this year, and more still as an U/18 next year.

Then he'll have two years as an U/20.

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
Re joeys v oakhill. Yes oakhill was the better side on the day but there is a lot of improvement in joeys. As one keen observer said between the firsts and seconds there is a strong xv. Joeys lacked speed and finishing power out wide and there need to be some changes to the pack. An earlier post mentioned Phillips, grant, Margan as likely promotions I'd add jake finanne to that too he needs to be in the firsts front row.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah, he could be at school next year but people mentioned earlier in this thread that he wouldn't be.

I should have asked his dad when I spoke to him on Saturday, but I forgot to.

You were the first to ask about his weight. He was 80 kgs last year, most likely will weigh more this year, and more still as an U/18 next year.

Then he'll have two years as an U/20.

HH is Yr 12 at Riverview but is young for year i.e. 17 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.