• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Fairly full footage of the Joeys/Scots clash, a tough game played at furious pace. Click on the title to watch at optimum screen size [bigger than on the forum, but smaller than full screen]. The tries are at 4:52, 13:26, 18:18, 20:20, 23:03, 34:15 >>

Byron Williamson

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi Byron - our Shore v Newington writer had a sickie and if you don't mind I will lift your post to put in a blog.

There was a double whammy when our Kings writer had to drop out because his boy was playing at another ground.

If a few folks can write a few words on the Kings match maybe I can cobble a few words to put a brief "match on the run" report from the game.

Thanks all

LG

Would have done a more comprehensive analysis if I knew you were giving me the call up.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
A few points on the Shore / View game.

View dominated early in the match. Shore had no possession at all. The View pack were very physical. This culminated in 2 Riverview tries both out wide, (not helped by yellow card to Shore).

The Shore scrum was under a lot of pressure. the first 2 scrums resulting in a popped front row. But the ref (who had a lot to say to different players at different times) had a long talk to View prop. Clearly there was some dangerous/ illegal play , boring or lifting). After this the Shore scrum was much better. Still pushed a bit by a heaver pack but able to clear clean ball from the scrum. Dont think there were any tight heads either way.

In the second half, Shore really improved. Scums were ok, lineouts good (big improvement from Kings). The backs played much better, passing was very crisp. Thought the 9 and 10 organized things well.

Seemed to me the View pack tired and Shore were right in the game. Shore forwards started to dominate and got some good counter rucks and turnover ball. Shore had their chances to win the game and came home strongly. Even to the last play Shore had an attacking scrum 10 meters out with a huge openside. They just need to convert these chances.

View were the better side on the day. The view backs were very good and well mashalled by the 10. As per an earlier poster the View outside backs probably the difference. Aided by the fact Shore suffered the yellow card to 15 and then he was injured attempting to score from a grubber kick into the corner. Would have been a brilliant try as he tried to pull the ball back from over the sideline to score. But ended in a broken collarbone. Very unfortunate.

Both sides played a good kicking game. Rixon in particular while he was on the field.

No 5 for View was impressive. Some very strong runs and was able to break the line. Shore managed to contain him somewhat in the second half. (Agree with Byron 10 and the wing stood out for View as well)

Doyle had a great game for Shore and showed he deserves his spot in GPS 2. 5, 6 and 9 all had strong games as well.

All in all a great game. with only 1 try separating the 2 teams.

gps_pilfs

Bob McCowan (2)
So let me get this straight, you win the 1sts by 5 points, you draw with them in 2nds and you win by 2 points in 3rds, and Shore are heading for a rough season? By implication you're saying that Riverview is in for something very close to a rough season as well.:confused:

Firstly, i mentioned nothing about the 2nds and 3rds competition...

Secondly, considering Shore just lost "by 5 points" to a team who went down 45-12 to Joeys last round, i think it is safe to say the Northbridge boys aren't in for the most desirable of seasons. Furthermore, the inevitable return of Jack McGregor's form will see quite the opposite of a rough season for the View Boys.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Firstly, i mentioned nothing about the 2nds and 3rds competition.

Secondly, considering Shore just lost "by 5 points" to a team who went down 45-12 to Joeys last round, i think it is safe to say the Northbridge boys aren't in for the most desirable of seasons. Furthermore, the inevitable return of Jack McGregor's form will see quite the opposite of a rough season for the View Boys.

So losing by 45-12 is a success?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I toned it down a bit but it had a good vibe about it.

Still nothing on the Kings-New game received so I may have to have coverage on just the two games.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I do agree with gps_pilfs. Riverview will be a different team when they get Hancock, Fenn and Gherig all on the park. They are all very strong ball runners and will give the View backs the space they haven't had yet. I don't think they are overly worried about the Joeys result, but they are very happy to have won at Northbridge given they have struggled over there every year regardless of how good the team has been. All credit to Shore yesterday because they never really looked quite in it, but went close in the end. Lots of spirit in that side.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I toned it down a bit but it had a good vibe about it.

Still nothing on the Kings-New game received so I may have to have coverage on just the two games.
@Nectarphiliac was starting to produce some good reports of the New games. Is he in Writers Team Rehab, traveling Interstate or something?

Publish and be damned @Lee Grant.

The folk associated with Kings and New may get the message that the Match Reports don't write themselves, and the absence of reports from "their school" may be the catalyst for one or more of their supporters to step up to the plate, particularly when the other AAGPS Schools are getting great coverage of their games on the blog.

If they can't be bothered contributing reports for their schools wider rugby community, and the general schoolboy rugby readers, then they deserve to reap as they sow.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I was clearly outlining that Riverview are not in form. Maybe reading it twice will give you a bit of help with your rebuttal.

I'm not rebutting anything, I'm asking questions because I fail to follow your logic and the logic of a couple of other Riverview supporters.

You seem to be saying that Shore will struggle for the rest of the season (which may or may not occur), but at the same time you seem to be indicating that Riverview won't struggle, which I find odd based on the evidence of three losses and a 5 point win over a team which you all say "will struggle"

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not rebutting anything, I'm asking questions because I fail to follow your logic and the logic of a couple of other Riverview supporters.

You seem to be saying that Shore will struggle for the rest of the season (which may or may not occur), but at the same time you seem to be indicating that Riverview won't struggle, which I find odd based on the evidence of three losses and a 5 point win over a team which you all say "will struggle"

Greetings QH, it appears that you have found someone new to play with. Excellent work. I have only seen Scots V Newington this year so can't comment on the above, however hope to get to a Shore match as I have a second cousins son twice removed playing for them this year.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As an ex joeys boy of an era of domination, I fully expected a win against Scots although blind freddy could see that Scots would rise for this game. So, obviously I am disappointed SJC didn't win, especially given the recent history in the GPS.

So, it was with some trepidation I watched the game as posted.

Firstly,
I don't think Joeys will be overly unhappy.
Sure they didn't get the result but the margins in this game were the slimmest.
Without No 6, the Scots fwd pack loses an enormous amount of firepower, although Joeys were dominated at the breakdown particularly with some lightweight runners by the outside backs.
I guess when you pit a 100+KG fwd against a 70KG winger, the result is generally predictable.
However, the Joeys lineout was very good and the scrum, with the exception of one scrum in the first half, showed the strength of the Joeys pack, pushing through Scots regularly, inexplicably not gaining the penalty advantage at times.
Both backlines have talent and the ability to bust the line however I think the tactic from Scots of running at Joeys rather kicking away possesion proved the game winning tactic.

Some ball retention issues for Joeys also.
Scots, I would say, played to expectation whilst Joeys not so.

Game 2 will be an interesting one.

Finally, what a amazing level of school boy rugby.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
16mins footage from Grammar 1sts defeating Kings 3rds. I didn't record all the game & missed a couple of good tries. Poor Alec Sheldon ruptures his ACL at 2:05 as the Kings no.11 cuts inside.

beef jerky

Frank Row (1)

I think what he is trying to say is that one of riverview's key players is still yet to find full schoolboy form after coming back from surgery pre season (and was also injured for most of the game), along with three other very influential forwards. These additions to the team should se a much better team come next term. lets just see what happens round two for these two teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
@Nectarphiliac was starting to produce some good reports of the New games. Is he in Writers Team Rehab, traveling Interstate or something?

We have a roster for GPS (and CAS) but Azzuri had to pull out at the last moment and it was too late to contact the backup Nectarphiiac.

Similarly the writer for the Shore v View game had to pull out sick and the backup had already left for the ground but I only knew that when my convo wasn't answered.

It's like firefighting except that you have to light the fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.