• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can someone please inform me how they select the GPS rugby coaches? I have had good reports regarding the shore forwards coach (G. Inches) but i really can't say that about the backs coach. Andrew Cleverley and Brian Smith from TSC can clearly warrant their 'selection' as the 1st XV coaches.

Is it a form of rotation between the schools? Or just a lucky dip each year.

I know I'm a bit slow but is my maths correct - Scots 1st XV is coached by Brian Smith, Andrew Cleverley, Marcus Blackburn, Wade Kelly, and the sports science guru (with Marcus leaving now). No wonder the boys are only just hitting their straps, as the information overload must be enormous.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
For those who worry about numbers, here is the breakdown by School of those players selected for the 71 positions from AAGPS schools to trial against approximately 160 boys from other Schools for one of the 46 positions in the NSW All Schools 1st and 2nd XV Rugby squads for National Championships.

E - 7
G - 3
I - 10
J - 13
K - 13
N - 14
S - 11

I recall that sometime in the 1980's Joeys had 16 players selected in GPS teams

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I know I'm a bit slow but is my maths correct - Scots 1st XV is coached by Brian Smith, Andrew Cleverley, Marcus Blackburn, Wade Kelly, and the sports science guru (with Marcus leaving now). No wonder the boys are only just hitting their straps, as the information overload must be enormous.

A lot of egos to fit into that brainstrust.;)

Donotquestion

Stan Wickham (3)
Both Gehrig and Hurley have pulled out from Riverview.
Gehrig due to injury (much the same as Girdlers) and Hurley may be due to him prioritising academics over rugby. Academic excellence may be at a higher priority for Hurley (something to do with the world not revolving around schoolboy rugby. Blasphemous I know) as this, being the last week of school usually associates itself with an enlarged amount of assessments due and exams undertaken .

edited by Mod.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm fairly trustworthy. Maybe an extended diagnosis would be that academic excellence may be at a higher priority for Hurley (something to do with the world not revolving around schoolboy rugby. Blasphemous I know) as this, being the last week of school usually associates itself with an enlarged amount of assessments due and exams undertaken .

Donotquestion, your most recent post was a significant departure and more accurate than your frivolous "can't be arsed" post that then potentially misled George Grant and Not in Straight (and any other reader).

Yes, he has an exam today and other study commitments this week. He also injured his neck in the 1st half of the game on Saturday and played on despite of it. He fronted up for GPS registration on Sunday as required and was medically assessed during which he received strapping and has been advised to see a doctor and to have a scan.

Let's stick to the facts shall we?

Up and Over

Frank Nicholson (4)
Both Gehrig and Hurley have pulled out from Riverview.
Gehrig due to injury (much the same as Girdlers) and Hurley may be due to him prioritising academics over rugby.

edited by Mod.

Best not be pre judgemental "Donotquestion" - Hurley is a good strong player - academics and injury (if true) are very valid reasons !

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Some text quoting a now deleted post has been removed by mod.

As I understand it Hurley has been recovering from an injury from Round 4 last year so its not necessarily surprising that he might slip down the rankings - but in any event he is out because of injury.
Gee the temp goes up round here at this time of year!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A rather talented young man that was not prepared to commit to the time requirements demanded by the Coaching staff for his schools 1st and 2nd XV programme last year, ended up playing some 3rd XV games in his last year at school. Essentially he seems to have prioritised his academics over sport in his Year 12. Most who know the lad would say he was "1st XV standard".

He was not selected for AAGPS teams and consequently was not "seen" by State or National Selectors in the respective trial matches.

Did this harm his "rugby career"? Doesn't appear to have had negative impact so far. In his first year out of School, this young man has been selected in his clubs run on Shute Shield (First Grade) team on many occasions, and I reckon he may be a good chance to make the 2016 NSW Under 20 squad.

By all accounts, his decision last year was not a dummy spit, and I doubt that there has been one this year from the Riverview boy.

Donotquestion

Stan Wickham (3)
Just to clarify, I'm a mate of Conor's and in no way was I antagonizing him or identifying his reasoning as a "dummy spit". His reasons are very fair in my eyes so everyone can just settle down now

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
My apologies to the moderator, will resist poor attempts at crude humor going forward.

So do we know what team changes are happening because of the various withdrawals.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
A rather talented young man that was not prepared to commit to the time requirements demanded by the Coaching staff for his schools 1st and 2nd XV programme last year, ended up playing some 3rd XV games in his last year at school. Essentially he seems to have prioritised his academics over sport in his Year 12. Most who know the lad would say he was "1st XV standard".

He was not selected for AAGPS teams and consequently was not "seen" by State or National Selectors in the respective trial matches.

Did this harm his "rugby career"? Doesn't appear to have had negative impact so far. In his first year out of School, this young man has been selected in his clubs run on Shute Shield (First Grade) team on many occasions, and I reckon he may be a good chance to make the 2016 NSW Under 20 squad.

By all accounts, his decision last year was not a dummy spit, and I doubt that there has been one this year from the Riverview boy.

Who is this man you're speaking about if you please reveal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
On another note however, many boys prioritise academics over Rugby. Henry Hutchinson selected for his second year of Aus Schoolboys pulled out with "injury" and ended up with a very impressive atar from all account, as well as Angus Crichton who also pulled out mysteriously..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.