• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I had the misfortune to watch parts of the the SJC V SIC 2nds soccer on the weekend.
In terms of crowd pulling spectacles GPS rugby has nothing to fear.
It was utterly appalling I'm not sure on what basis it is described as sport: there was no athleticism, no running, a truckload of ricochets off he woodwork or opponents and the favoured kick was the up and under.
It won't be long before someone decides, with a fine disregard for the laws, to pick up the ball and run with it.

Sounds like the therapy used in A Clockwork Orange but much crueler!

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
11mins footage of the impressive SJC 16A's, who reduced a very good Scots side to few if any highlights last weekend>

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Not meaning to harp on about this (seeing as it probably isn't the right thread), but the news that a promising 15-a-side rugby player has made the switch to a code that he almost certainly isn't as familiar with is disheartening. Is it the money that drives them? Do the NRL clubs just get in first? Why does this keep happening?

Crichton (Scots), Moeroa (Newington) and now Wright (Joeys) from the GPS just to name a few in the past couple of years, as well as Ponga (I'm sure you've all seen the highlight video) up North in Australia's armpit (Queensland).

Obviously it's promising to see boys like Hutchison (Riverview), Strang (Scots) and Kellaway (Scots) amongst others to consolidate their futures with Union. But I have no difficulty imagining Kennewell, Loga-Tarogi, McGregor, Horton, Pirrodi, Gittoes and Girdler etc. etc. all suiting up in jerseys plagued with advertising whilst they line up to entertain a crowd of unruly bogans. They all may be built for League, but they were BORN for Union.
I have no doubt that league would have made approaches to most if not all of that last group. What would be of more interest would be if the ARU has contacted those boys after learning of TW's departure to ensure others don't also take the bait. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Crichton (Scots), Moeroa (Newington) and now Wright (Joeys) from the GPS just to name a few in the past couple of years, as well as Ponga (I'm sure you've all seen the highlight video) up North in Australia's armpit (Queensland).
I'm going from memory so don't be too harsh if I get some of this wrong:
Crichton was in the roosters program while at school so he was well exposed to the evil code.
Moerea came out of league in the first place.
I have a burning feeling that Wright played moneyball in juniors.
Cam Murray was always in the Bunnies system and a standout.
Tyrone was and may still be in the Roosters system.

tight hamstring

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have had a look at some Newington highlights courtesy of sidesteppa's videos . My opinion on New's 11 re speed remains , although that is tempered because I am yet to see a winger with the speed of either of View's 2 wingers , but more importantly my opinion on 11's ability also remains . He is unquestionably a weapon who is very hard to contain . Surely he will not be in the 11 jumper next year .

As an aside New's 14 is also very very handy . No 15 next year ?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
@Beard and Jim, I would've definitely tipped Armidale if they were at home, but I'm backing Grammar to just edge it in what should be a thriller. A lot of thought went into my final decision/tip, but I'm still not 100% sure about it. It will no doubt be the fixture of the season in the 3rds division in terms of competitiveness.

Grammar's bringing a rather pathetic crowd, smaller than the modest turnouts they've been churning out in the weeks prior. Hopefully that won't be the case in the game vs High though in a few weeks time, especially since it's on Back to Weigall day. There's a big risk of the Armidale boys reserving/watching/travelling down to outnumber them.

I hope so, Cash. I have only seen TAS play New so far, so I'm going to get to that game. But where is my bloody camera?!

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
I would imagine all Shore rugby coaches have a SmartRugby qualification, and senior coaches (such as the u16's and opens) would have what I remember to be the Level II qualification from the ARU. To have anything less would be inviting problems.
Your inference that Shore rugby coaches have no rugby qualifications and like going to rugby occasionally, and hence get selected to coach rugby, would be way off the mark.

I don't think that a Smart Rugby qualification is sufficient to provide the level of coaching that will ensure success. The level of coaching that Shore provides is vastly inferior to club coaching, and they have more time and a captive audience. The school coaching tends to be teacher backed up by a recent school leaver. The school leaver is there to provide the rugby expertise.
By all reports Tim Wallace is a good coach, he seems rather under resourced relative to the other schools in the GPS.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Disturbingly i see we are on a double Nelson today re page number. Is this a positive or negative sign for tonight?

More relevantly I do think Shore's rugby problems are broadly demographically centered. Unfortunately these in balances can give other sports a massive leg up.

RoyRanley

Bob McCowan (2)
I have had a look at some Newington highlights courtesy of sidesteppa's videos . My opinion on New's 11 re speed remains , although that is tempered because I am yet to see a winger with the speed of either of View's 2 wingers , but more importantly my opinion on 11's ability also remains . He is unquestionably a weapon who is very hard to contain . Surely he will not be in the 11 jumper next year .

As an aside New's 14 is also very very handy . No 15 next year ?
new 14 played 15 last year for 1s last year

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Prior to coming to Shore, Timothy Wright was headmaster at John Lyon School in Harrow ... an academically selective school ... and by the looks of it the school's preferred sport in true English spirit is Football AKA Soccer ... (Jika had another name for it :mad: )

At John Lyon ...."In the first four years, all boys play football (Autumn and Spring terms) and cricket (Summer term) during their games afternoons, supplemented with rugby, swimming, and gymnastics. ...
The John Lyon School has football and cricket teams at 1st XI, 2nd XI, 3rd XI, Under 15s, Under 14s, Under 13s and Under 12s levels."

So when Timothy Wright isn't playing Builder/Developer, somehow I don't think Rugby holds all that much interest

so if Tim Wallace is not getting the dollars he would like ... somehow I can't see it changing

2014 was probably one of Shore better recent seasons ... if memory serves me right ... 2 wins and a draw.

In other better news ... word on the street .... in response to demand, and to appease old boys, Shore is bringing in the option to enrol "in utero", this however does entail a non-refundable deposit into the Shore Building fund, and if twins are the result, only 1 child is guaranteed a spot :(

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think that a Smart Rugby qualification is sufficient to provide the level of coaching that will ensure success. The level of coaching that Shore provides is vastly inferior to club coaching, and they have more time and a captive audience. The school coaching tends to be teacher backed up by a recent school leaver. The school leaver is there to provide the rugby expertise.
By all reports Tim Wallace is a good coach, he seems rather under resourced relative to the other schools in the GPS.

Some coaches have the Smart Rugby qualification because they have to not because it has any intrinsic worth. The courses seem to spend a lot of time searching for issues they can address to justify their existence and inventing drills - there are already too many drills for blokes up to about 15.
I would never judge the quality of a coach on what qualification he held - particularly since to get any meaningful qualification in the ARU system my understanding is that you have to be "invited".
Secondly, this recent school leaver approach is a slippery slope: believe me I've seen it in operation.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Tim Wallace is the assistant 1st grade coach at Gordon. He is a teacher at Shore (and a very good one at that).

He is Master in Charge of Rugby at Shore, he is not involved with coaching teams directly. I assume he appoints the coaches and coaches the coaches, and runs the administration side of the Rugby program.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Prior to coming to Shore, Timothy Wright was headmaster at John Lyon School in Harrow . an academically selective school . and by the looks of it the school's preferred sport in true English spirit is Football AKA Soccer . (Jika had another name for it :mad: )

At John Lyon .."In the first four years, all boys play football (Autumn and Spring terms) and cricket (Summer term) during their games afternoons, supplemented with rugby, swimming, and gymnastics. .
The John Lyon School has football and cricket teams at 1st XI, 2nd XI, 3rd XI, Under 15s, Under 14s, Under 13s and Under 12s levels."

So when Timothy Wright isn't playing Builder/Developer, somehow I don't think Rugby holds all that much interest

so if Tim Wallace is not getting the dollars he would like . somehow I can't see it changing

2014 was probably one of Shore better recent seasons . if memory serves me right . 2 wins and a draw.

In other better news . word on the street .. in response to demand, and to appease old boys, Shore is bringing in the option to enrol "in utero", this however does entail a non-refundable deposit into the Shore Building fund, and if twins are the result, only 1 child is guaranteed a spot :(

SDW, you must be going back along way in history.

Tim Wright was at All Saints College Bathurst for quite a few years.

All Saints do play Rugby in all age groups, Its only a small school and competes in a lower tier comp. I note one of their recent boys got a call up to the NSW Country side.

Shore is NOT a selective school, and yes I do think this headmaster is very focused on academic results. But that's the main reason we send our kids there.

I can tell you participation in sport is encouraged even in year 12 students who can elect not to play.

I think they have the balance right.

GPS Fantastic

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well, the 2nd upload allowed 60 people to view it, but then frustratingly it has been blocked again. So, I'll upload it again but with no music at all this time [bar the bagpipes]. Hopefully this one will stick, since as you say, it was a fantastic contest [well done to both XVs]. Will take another 12hrs or so though, as it's over 6GB]
Just wondering if you are still planning to upload a copy of the Scots v Joeys game,looking forward to seeing it

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not in straight ... You might be right, don't know him

I was just going by his employment history as documented on the web

Either way , shore has really moved towards being more academic... And I am not commenting on that being right or wrong

No doubt in the long run most benefit from a good atar ...MORE than sporting memories

Either way agree Wallace is a champion, so if he is under resourced that would be a shame ... And you wAnt to hang onto people like him

Re shore 15as they have a few backing up for lindfield big Sunday game?

Or have they stopped playing club ... Eg Farr-jones junior?

Bismarck

Herbert Moran (7)
maybe its not a case of being under resourced its just that other schools chose to "over resource" their 1sts to the detriment of the entire school rugby program. Looking back at AAGPS records it was only a few years back when Shore performed very well before the landscape changed.

Can Not in Straight tell us how the other A and B teams perform against other schools? I would hazard a guess that they are competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.