• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rich_E, Yesterday at 10:17 PM
I reckon joey's backs are top shelf. Not suggesting you've not seen all teams play. But i reckon Kings and View are damn good too from what I've seen. Like you, I hope selections reflect form over reputation. But good thing this year is that with rep teams to be announced later thus year, the selectors will have more opportunity to consider former over later.

I agree so much. There should be very little weight put on last years rep selections as everyone seems to be agreeing we are looking at different GPS landscape in the firsts this year and selectors will have more than enough games to get it right. I agree it would be hard to justify the selection of some of the Newington players who were prominent last year in a GPS 1 team at the moment, Helu and Tyrone the exception as I thought they showed their class in the Kings game. The Riverview flankers are both good players and current form should given heavier weight than preference for an incumbent who seems to be finding the going a bit harder this year without the quality he had around him last season. I think Osborne (K) has made a big statement for FB consideration. He clearly outpointed his opposite number last week and as someone else has put forth from a Saturday review, his kicking game against Scots was a major factor and continually put them back well back into their own half. Reports even from Shore folk does not have their #9 in good form but that can be said for most of the backline who we all had hopes for this year. Gregory an exception and Rixon, now out for a few weeks would have to be included in 1 or 2s on trial form. While Peitch has the ability to play #6 or #7, he has the #8 jumper at Kings and the two tries he has now scored in both games against Newington and Scots, a big statement about his ability. His last try Saturday, kick and re-gather was pretty impressive. This Saturday Kings v Scots and then Riverview v Kings should make in clearer for selectors to sort out the backs but Sheldon (G) does deserve a opportunity.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I partly agree with you @NIS in your suggestion that regular TOTW players could feature heavily in 1's and 2's however don't feel anyone (including myself) is dispassionate enough to separate personal and school support from their picks. We can't seriously be suggesting review writers are now the best people to select rep sides?

Selectors have a seriously tough job in my opinion because it's NOT just about picking 15 "superstars" and hope they will play well together as a team. Some superstars only look like superstars because of the team they are playing, the opposition they are playing or the team mates that support them and clean up their mistakes. Backyard hacks like us can postulate, elevate and masturbate all we like as we don't have a chance of seeing the full picture.

There will no doubt be lots of new faces in the mix this year as the vast bulk of ones and twos left school last year, but there are quite a few current yet 12's who were GPS reps last year, presidents and NSW schools the year before and are still playing very well so the usual talk about selectors picking lads on reputation seems a little silly.

@Azzuri, you are right it is not a perfect system.

I actually copped some friendly fire on the subject from an unlikely source, so I was happy to pass on duties to Rich_E.

I like the concept being along the lines of what Rugby heaven does for super rugby each week. And I am quite certain that has little bearing on the selection of the Australian team in the end.

Using the review writers is all we can do, as we don't get to see all 3 matches. But your point on the review writers having all sorts of bias (for or against their own son - and probably just wanting to share the chocolates around a bit - so not necessarily the best 3 get mentioned each week)

But never the less, I still think its of some interest. Remember its only a "Team of the week" of 18 players , using 3 from each school. and not a proposed GPS team selection of 15.

But you would expect those 15 to figure in TOTW fairly regularly.

Lets see how it develops as a concept. Hopefully most will be able to differentiate it from a proposed GPS side. If it gets bagged heavily then it will be disappear like UP&IN on the Scholarhips thread.

Nectarphiliac

Chris McKivat (8)
G'day folks,

Sorry for my absence but I've been busy pursuing my career in journalism overseas.

Alas, I am back, in fact just stepped off the plan earlier this morning.

Is my old friend Lee Grant still running this thread?

Nectar out.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Match Reviews

Got to say the Match reviews are very good this week for all games. Good writing and great photos Lee Grant. Are we able to get a few pics from the other games? any willing photographers?

To add to Shore V Joeys commentary.

Shore forwards matched it very well with Joeys. In fact when they held it tight for the phases they were the stronger pack and looked the goods. Shore scrum was rock solid, and even got a tight head off Joeys. I thought the 3 up front all played particularly well. I also thought the captain & No8 played well and made some great try saving tackles (and there were plenty to be made). Shore lineout wasn't working in the first half, but worked better in the second half, Joeys were master spoilers in the lineout.

Joeys Backs are all class and very skillful. They have ability to score tries from anywhere and get outside and around defenders They are going to score tries against all sides. No. 13 will test all sides defenses and I will be very surprised if he doesn't represent at high levels.

From watching Scots and Joeys, I think Joeys are level above Scots. I think they wont be too far out of the mix come round 10.

Shore is going to have to work on a changed lineup in the backs. Hopefully the combinations will click in time for Saturdays match against the front runners. I did think Sinclair played quite well at 10 but obviously not his preferred position.

I am thinking Joeys will get the better of the Kings men on Saturday, should be a cracker of a match.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
G'day folks,

Sorry for my absence but I've been busy pursuing my career in journalism overseas.

Nectar out.

Your timing is excellent. I am pretty sure we are looking for a writer for Newington. So PM Lee

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
G'day folks,

Nectar out.

Not sure if he's running it (to the extent that anyone runs it), but he's certainly the respected elder statesman and co-ordinator of previews, reviews and various other initiatives. :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Joeys Backs are all class and very skillful. They have ability to score tries from anywhere and get outside and around defenders They are going to score tries against all sides. No. 13 will test all sides defenses and I will be very surprised if he doesn't represent at high levels.

I'd read all the hype, bought the movie and was considering the kool aid until I saw them play v SIC.
If you saw that game I'd be interested to see what you thought of the performance on that day.
For mine they kick too much from the back and were not prepared to back themselves on the outside of their man even when over the gain line.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Magnificent..it's looks almost erotic sitting there covered in sauce, in its skimpy foil "bikini" winking at me. If you put your ear close to the picture you can here it saying .. "Get over here big boy Im not going to eat myself"!!!
And here I am sitting quietly, thinking to myself "He is actually allowed near kids? He can't get any weirder, can he?"

Yerp...

Just joking Azurri. I am more scared of rugby mum and her old castle hill days ;) ;) ;)

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^^^
From all the frothing especially on last year's GPS thread, I just assumed everyone is scared of Rugby Mum 2, and so I've banned my boys fom even visiting Castle Hill until they're much much older! ;)

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
Here it is, enjoy, you owe me several 'likes'..[fuller footage will go up in a few days time].
Thanks for the video. I'm not sure that leaking 30 points is a sign of a gps championship side but a win is a win. Defense from both sides looks bad at times. Perhaps the field at Stanmore is 5 metres wider. Anyway, the Comp looks very close this year excluding perhaps Shore. I wouldn't be surprised if a few teams reverse results in round 2.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
I'd read all the hype, bought the movie and was considering the kool aid until I saw them play v SIC.
If you saw that game I'd be interested to see what you thought of the performance on that day.
For mine they kick too much from the back and were not prepared to back themselves on the outside of their man even when over the gain line.

Agree with that assessment @IS of the Round 1 clash, that the Joe Boys' all the way down the back backs kicked much too much away. I didn't see them last week against Shore, but this week, if they do similar against Kings, they'll pay a price. Kings FB, Osborne, has the biggest hoof on him that I've seen in the 4x GPS First XV's I've spectated. He'd win most games of 'force 'em back', IMO.

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
G'day folks,

Nectar out.

Great to have to back Nectar hope your journalism overseas went well. Yes the man himself Lee Grant is still here indeed and vocal as ever.

Any predictions for the season seeing you did so well in the tipping last year?

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
I also have strong sources that have told me that the 15 for Scots Charlie Burnett has been dropped to the 2nds for this weekends game against Newington, possible replacements?? maybe Harry Moate quality young player

Nectarphiliac

Chris McKivat (8)
I also have strong sources that have told me that the 15 for Scots Charlie Burnett has been dropped to the 2nds for this weekends game against Newington, possible replacements?? maybe Harry Moate quality young player

I haven't heard of a player by the name of Harry Moate, but some inside sources have led to me believe that Greg Stevens will replace Burnett at fullback.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)

Agree with that assessment @IS of the Round 1 clash, that the Joe Boys' all the way down the back backs kicked much too much away. I didn't see them last week against Shore, but this week, if they do similar against Kings, they'll pay a price. Kings FB, Osborne, has the biggest hoof on him that I've seen in the 4x GPS First XV's I've spectated. He'd win most games of 'force 'em back', IMO.

If you watched the same game I watched that day you would know that Joeys killed it in the first half. In the second half Joeys bombed several opportunities to close the game out, but through their own mistakes that did not occur. Lastly, if they had secured the goal-kick from their last try (goal-kicks for tries don't change the course of the game) and Joeys actually win the game, and would be on top of the GPS ladder due to their for and against.

I agree there was one player wanted to kick all day for unknown reasons (maybe instruction from coaches), the kicking could of been held back a bit and the pill given to those centres & wings to have a run.

Lets see what happens this week against Kings, if they lose I will eat my humble pie.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
If you watched the same game I watched that day you would know that Joeys killed it in the first half. In the second half Joeys bombed several opportunities to close the game out, but through their own mistakes that did not occur. Lastly, if they had secured the goal-kick from their last try (goal-kicks for tries don't change the course of the game) and Joeys actually win the game, and would be on top of the GPS ladder due to their for and against.

I agree there was one player wanted to kick all day for unknown reasons (maybe instruction from coaches), the kicking could of been held back a bit and the pill given to those centres & wings to have a run.

Lets see what happens this week against Kings, if they lose I will eat my humble pie.
Pretty sure the coaches must have addressed that issue after Rd 1. They played a good kicking game on Saturday. They were very keen to run the ball.

Did Riverview change their tactics in the second half? Just wondering if they held it tight in the forwards. (believe Fenn got 1 of the tries). Shore did much better when they played tight.

Joeys will want to play expansive.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hear that the New 3rds v High 1sts was a 6-0 win to Newington on Saturday. Was the game as dire as the score indicates? Seems a very strange scoreline for a sunny afternoon on what would have been a dry pitch. (Almost 80 points scored in the 1st XV game)

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)

No humble pie required @TD, irrespective this week's outcome.
My observation, as am sure @IS's was too, was that in Rnd 1, Joeys kicked away too much possession. With the likes of Wilkinson, Reilly, Jaffer-W and Tse out far right, it seemed a shame.

And yep, accept, could've all been on Coaches' instructions, which from @NIS's observations on last week's game at Shore, which I didn't see, may well have been changed.

It'll be interesting to see the tactics this weekend out at Nth Parra. The match should be pretty special, and am hoping @Sidesteppa will be there with his trusty HD lens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.