• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxhead

Bob McCowan (2)
Congrats to all the boys selected.

GPS Boys selected for NSW U16 Schools

Bell (New)
Icanovski (New)
Janson (New)
Titmus (New)

McLennan (View)
Kennedy (View)
Easy (View)
Bell (View)

Wellington (Scots)

GPS Boys selected for Sydney U16

Glascott (View)

Heaven (Joeys)

Brown (Kings)
Peper (Kings)
Minogue (Kings)
Josh Gunstone from Kings also needs to be added. With the Schools side dominated by Riverview and Newington boys it seems strange that Joeys and Kings have been the two dominant sides in this age group for the past three years.??

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
League training is great. For League. It's a much narrower set of skills.

Why have Nsw chosen 9 boys who played/trained for HM this year out of the 25 boys selected if as you say "league has a much narrower set of skills".

Simply put as mentioned previously, the pre season training , coaching and facilities offered to the boys who play HM give them a huge edge over the other boys who think they can play.

These HM boys get identified at u14 and get put thru there HM clubs system with the top coaching and stay in the system until u16 when the clubs cut for there HM team. If boys not good enough they have still learned many extra skills and also will of had to undertake several seminars of how to deal with pressures of being a football player.

What happens to the delevopement of the NSWPSSA players once there tournament is finished in junior school?

Nothing , they go to secondary school and are lost to other sports or don't get the proper ongoing coaching.

Fix this and rugby will flourish .

SG ball training has now started for next year.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Josh Gunstone from Kings also needs to be added. With the Schools side dominated by Riverview and Newington boys it seems strange that Joeys and Kings have been the two dominant sides in this age group for the past three years.??

Apologies, Gunstone had a great tournament and is a real talent, The revised list as follows:

Bell (New)
Icanovski (New)
Janson (New)
Titmus (New)

McLennan (View)
Kennedy (View)
Easy (View)
Bell (View)

Wellington (Scots)

Glascott (View)

Heaven (Joeys)

Brown (Kings)
Peper (Kings)
Minogue (Kings)
Gunstone (Kings)
In relation to the "injustices" of selection, lets wait for the next 2 years. I am sure it will all sort itself out.
However in 4 weeks Joeys and Kings supporters may reserve the right to vent :rolleyes:

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeah and Rock Elsom was a reserve grader at the Bulldogs and Palu was at St George - or something like that and if not them then others.
No correlation.

Is there any correlation between playing Harold Matts and Nsw u16s ?

On this forum it seems no correlation but the selectors must see different 9 out 25 players played/trained for HM ,must be some correlation wouldn't you think .

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)

Bell (New)
Icanovski (New)
Janson (New)
Titmus (New)

McLennan (View)
Kennedy (View)
Easy (View)
Bell (View)

Wellington (Scots)

Glascott (View)

Heaven (Joeys)

Brown (Kings)
Peper (Kings)
Minogue (Kings)

What happened to Will Harris from Scots?
This forum reported him as being a standout and one of the first that would be chosen.
Is he injured?

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
What happened to Will Harris from Scots?
This forum reported him as being a standout and one of the first that would be chosen.
Is he injured?

He was a standout, can play several positions but selectors think differently. Some of the selections including HM players I find interesting to say the least.

Anyway good luck to Will on Saturday when he plays XV for Scots against Kings great achievement and will certainly hold his own.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
He was a standout, can play several positions but selectors think differently. Some of the selections including HM players I find interesting to say the least.

Anyway good luck to Will on Saturday when he plays IV for Scots against Kings great achievement and will certainly hold his own.

Thanks for the clarification.
Another bizarre selection decision.
I was overseas for the State Championship but have been catching up on things since my return.
Some very strange selections at U18 level based on the recordings of the games I saw.
At U20 level, U18 and now NSW U16 the selectors and coaches see things very differently to a large pool of well informed rugby enthusiasts.
After indifferent performances at schoolboy and U20 level in recent years you have to seriously wonder whether the problem with Junior rugby in Australia is more to do with coaches and selectors than the talents of the boys/young men.
Good coaching at the State championship saw a NSW second choice team beat the first choice team.
Coaches and selectors seem to revel in their capacity to favour those they know from their day job.
Hugh will no doubt again point out that the cream will always rise to the top but it shouldn't have to happen this way.
Enough on this here........it's for another thread I know.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is either Roman numerals for 4 (Lock) or he may be playing as Independent Verifier for any enrollment anomalies. Perhaps the latter is something that the good Doctor Lambert agreed to after some anomalies were discovered at the last inquisition at Scots, although I struggle to see how a student could be considered to be independent, but that is for another thread. :)

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
It is either Roman numerals for 4 (Lock) or he may be playing as Independent Verifier for any enrollment anomalies. Perhaps the latter is something that the good Doctor Lambert agreed to after some anomalies were discovered at the last inquisition at Scots, although I struggle to see how a student could be considered to be independent, but that is for another thread. :)

Good enough and big enough to play 2 years up in a top of the table GPS clash.......seems hard to believe the NSW selectors wouldn't want him in the squad to tour NZ when as always we will come up against larger Maori/ Islander filled teams.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good enough and big enough to play 2 years up in a top of the table GPS clash...seems hard to believe the NSW selectors wouldn't want him in the squad to tour NZ when as always we will come up against larger Maori/ Islander filled teams.

Do we take that to mean that Will is playing lock in the 1st XV for Scots on Sat?

If so well done - he is a great player.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is there any correlation between playing Harold Matts and Nsw u16s ?

On this forum it seems no correlation but the selectors must see different 9 out 25 players played/trained for HM ,must be some correlation wouldn't you think .

My view is that a lot of selectors at these levels are basically scared to ignore the trends - so if a kid got picked last year he'll be picked this year unless and until someone has the guts to call it for how they see it.
There was a selection this year in the oz schools level that showed the hype ended for one kid at that level. IMO - which is only one among many

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Given this is u16s and first year of school reps, what trends are there IS? If it's 2015 NSWRU u15s (club rugby) then I think there are only 8 or so from 2015 that have been selected in Schools u16s. Not saying I agree with all of the selections (omissions) but I don't think there is much correlation with past performance / selection.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Given this is u16s and first year of school reps, what trends are there IS?

With ISA equalling GPS with 9 boys gaining selection in the NSW U16 Schools team, it would indicate that Rugby is looking healthy in some ISA schools. GPS business as usual. CAS performed well.

What worries me is that only 1 boy from CHS (from 2 teams) secured selection, nil CCC or AICES. That does not bode well for the future growth of school based Rugby in the public, AICES or CCC system.

When you analyse the selections for Sydney U16s coming from Club land, things look a little better, 6 from GPS, 4 from CHS, 4 from CCC, 1 each from AICES and CAS. There are 7 who I don't know if they attend CCC, CHS or AICES affiliated schools. I am pretty sure they are not at GPS or CAS schools.

What I do know is that if it wasn't for Club Rugby, these boys from CCC or CHS would never have had the opportunity to gain selection for higher honours.

Given the changes announced to Junior Gold Cup, without a viable rep development pathway outside the school system this could get worse.

Sydney U16

Bremner CHS
Brown GPS
Cairns CCC
Darwall AICES
Devries CHS not selected to rep school assoc
Glascott GPS
Gunstone GPS
Hancock CHS not selected to rep school assoc
Heaven GPS
Heka CCC
Hickey ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Loto'aniu CCC
Mafi ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Manowski CCC
Minogue GPS not selected to rep school assoc
Paavola ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Peper GPS
Pomare CHS
Reimer CAS
Thompson ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Tiatia ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Tuifia ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Utaatu ? Not selected to rep school assoc

? 7
GPS 6
CHS 4
CCC 4
AICES 1
CAS 1

First phase

Allen Oxlade (6)
agreed AS...good to see the ARU has saved some more bucks by cutting the JGC u17. I think they have given up on the public school years 11 and 12 group as all too hard and left it to the private school system to deal with.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The pathway for any talented CHS, CCC, AICES and some ISA schoolboys in later years of schooling is via the Colts system rather than Sydney Junior Village Club footy (or in the country, they are often playing grade or they are in the Junior Country development program which is more structured than the City system, but quite expensive).

I wouldn't get too worried about kids missing out on Under 16 rep teams, and the "development" opportunities they miss out on as a result.

Many kids at U16 reps are early maturers or riding on Mum/Dad's influential coat tails. There is a rather poor correlation between U16 Reps and U20-NRC representation, with the "Bolters" chances seemingly not influenced by non-selection at U16 level.

U16 is still in the Skills Acquisition phase, and the development/rep focus should be on that aspect not on winning competitions, but try and tell that to a Proud Rugby Mum or Dad.

R

Runpasstackle

With ISA equalling GPS with 9 boys gaining selection in the NSW U16 Schools team, it would indicate that Rugby is looking healthy in some ISA schools. GPS business as usual. CAS performed well.

What worries me is that only 1 boy from CHS (from 2 teams) secured selection, nil CCC or AICES. That does not bode well for the future growth of school based Rugby in the public, AICES or CCC system.

When you analyse the selections for Sydney U16s coming from Club land, things look a little better, 6 from GPS, 4 from CHS, 4 from CCC, 1 each from AICES and CAS. There are 7 who I don't know if they attend CCC, CHS or AICES affiliated schools. I am pretty sure they are not at GPS or CAS schools.

What I do know is that if it wasn't for Club Rugby, these boys from CCC or CHS would never have had the opportunity to gain selection for higher honours.

Given the changes announced to Junior Gold Cup, without a viable rep development pathway outside the school system this could get worse.

Sydney U16

Bremner CHS
Brown GPS
Cairns CCC
Darwall AICES
Devries CHS not selected to rep school assoc
Glascott GPS
Gunstone GPS
Hancock CHS not selected to rep school assoc
Heaven GPS
Heka CCC
Hickey ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Loto'aniu CCC
Mafi ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Manowski CCC
Minogue GPS not selected to rep school assoc
Paavola ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Peper GPS
Pomare CHS
Reimer CAS
Thompson ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Tiatia ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Tuifia ? Not selected to rep school assoc
Utaatu ? Not selected to rep school assoc

? 7
GPS 6
CHS 4
CCC 4
AICES 1
CAS 1

Not all players played at the state champs to be selected into zone sides. Seems Sydney coach Glascot has pulled a few in at the 12th hour after watching the schools trials.
This can't be good for clubland.

Status
Not open for further replies.