• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Not all players played at the state champs to be selected into zone sides. Seems Sydney coach Glascot has pulled a few in at the 12th hour after watching the schools trials.
This can't be good for clubland.
Wrong age group - Glascott is coaching 15s so nothing to do with him.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Any 16A results, after Shore's first win against Scots it will be interesting to see how they perform, Joeys. Who only just beat them last time 24-22.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Is there any correlation between playing Harold Matts and Nsw u16s ?

On this forum it seems no correlation but the selectors must see different 9 out 25 players played/trained for HM ,must be some correlation wouldn't you think .

Didn't ISA have most of the HM players? The team that lost 2 out of 3 matches at trials but still got 9 players selected? It does seem that there is a correlation - an inverse one. Pres A which was undefeated had the fewest HM players; CAS had a couple more and came second; ISA had the most and came 4th. It would seem then that > HM players = less team success. Let's hope that doesn't translate to NSW getting whalloped by the Kiwis.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Update after Round 7

1: Joeys 6 wins 1 loss
2: Kings 5 wins 1 draw 1 Loss
3: Newington 3 wins 1 draw 3 losses
4: Scots 2 wins 4 losses and a washout
Riverview 2 win 4 losses and a washout
6: Shore 1 win 6 losses

Round 8 Clash Joeys V Kings likely to decide who tops the age group

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Didn't ISA have most of the HM players? The team that lost 2 out of 3 matches at trials but still got 9 players selected? It does seem that there is a correlation - an inverse one. Pres A which was undefeated had the fewest HM players; CAS had a couple more and came second; ISA had the most and came 4th. It would seem then that > HM players = less team success. Let's hope that doesn't translate to NSW getting whalloped by the Kiwis.

If HM players = less team success , maybe you should pass your thoughts on to the coaches when ur in camp with the nsw 16s. I'll be interested to hear the coaches thoughts on this and also their opinion of Max Lehman and Albert Hopoate once they have had the chance to work with these boys ,and if the coaches think they will be upto Australian school boys standard in a couple of years time.

To beat the kiwis will be tough but a talented backline off
10/Elias ,
12/Easy,
13/Lehman
15/Hopoate, I recon could be damaging in general play.

Hopefully you will finally appreciate that the HM boys have a wider skill set than what you have constantly pointed out previously when you watch them train and play.

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)

You're correlation is of very minimal significance. Comparing team performance on the basis of HM players in each team is absurd. At the end of the day what is needed to gain selection into these teams, is simply individual performance. The schools team that was picked is very strong and one that will compete. If you doubt the NSW team success based on the amount of HM players selected, I'd like to know who you would have picked instead to ensure the overall success of the team.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
You're correlation is of very minimal significance. Comparing team performance on the basis of HM players in each team is absurd. At the end of the day what is needed to gain selection into these teams, is simply individual performance. The schools team that was picked is very strong and one that will compete. If you doubt the NSW team success based on the amount of HM players selected, I'd like to know who you would have picked instead to ensure the overall success of the team.

What is required to win once in the team is the ability to play as part of a team. Too many league players think the key to success is tucking the ball under the arm and running hard and one out at the opposition, cause what the hell you get 5 goes at doing this every set of 6 right? This won't bother the kiwis too much as they have bigger and stronger blokes doing this to them all the time. What might bother them is an up tempo game played at speed and with high level ball handling skills. Fortunately the boys that have the capability to play this type of game are mostly in the team, they just don't happen to be the ones most mentioned by the Loig lovers.

R

Runpasstackle

What is required to win once in the team is the ability to play as part of a team. Too many league players think the key to success is tucking the ball under the arm and running hard and one out at the opposition, cause what the hell you get 5 goes at doing this every set of 6 right? This won't bother the kiwis too much as they have bigger and stronger blokes doing this to them all the time. What might bother them is an up tempo game played at speed and high levels of ball handling skills. Fortunately the boys that have this are mostly in the team, they just don't happen to be the ones most mentioned by the Loig lovers.

Agreed the best way to beat the kiwis is to have ball players at 10 12 and 15. I see Lehman and Hopoate more as finishers ie wingers. Especially as neither have great hands but can beat there man and find the try line.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^But when they are shut down defensively as happened at trials v CAS, there is not much else to fall back on. The kiwis will have no trouble doing this as big hard runners are a dime a dozen in Auckland rugby. I'd prefer all of my NSW backs to have ball skills so that momentum doesn't necessarily break down because one player is tackled - "neither have great hands" simply doesn't cut it for outside backs at this level.

Pack It Down

Frank Row (1)
If HM players = less team success , maybe you should pass your thoughts on to the coaches when ur in camp with the nsw 16s. I'll be interested to hear the coaches thoughts on this and also their opinion of Max Lehman and Albert Hopoate once they have had the chance to work with these boys ,and if the coaches think they will be upto Australian school boys standard in a couple of years time.

To beat the kiwis will be tough but a talented backline off
10/Elias ,
12/Easy,
13/Lehman
15/Hopoate, I recon could be damaging in general play.

Hopefully you will finally appreciate that the HM boys have a wider skill set than what you have constantly pointed out previously when you watch them train and play.

I believe that, that this is a very strong back line to take on the Kiwis. But you have named a back line for the side, was wondering what your strongest starting 15 would look like from the boys selected.
or if anyone wanted to put together the best starting 15 from the squad selected?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
A team to play a fast paced game with skill and flair:

1. Bell
2. McLennan
3. Icanovski
4. Panozzo
5. Douglas
6. Moretti
7. Freeman
8. Titmus
9. Chambers
10. Ilias
11. Lehmann
12. Easy
13. Cameron
14. Byron H-D
15. Bell

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A team to play a fast paced game with skill and flair:

1. Bell
2. McLennan
3. Icanovski
4. Panozzo
5. Douglas
6. Moretti
7. Freeman
8. Titmus
9. Chambers
10. Ilias
11. Lehmann
12. Easy
13. Cameron
14. Byron H-D
15. Bell

I cant fault your logic CNP. Only tweak from my perspective would be move Cameron to 11 or 14, move Easy to 13 and bring Wellington or Lehmann into the centres.

Status
Not open for further replies.