• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I feel that the Newington 16a's side has really developed this year and begun to work much better as a team. Next year and the year after that Newington's first XV will be one to watch out for.

I couldn't agree more with you,foty4life, after watching the 16A against Scots, their first half was a display of relentless precision in attack,with some great support play. Scots second half comeback, does not detract that watching this team, is a real enjoyment. I Look forward to watching these boys develop first as a team and as individuals over the next two years. They now face a resurgent Shore side and the top of the table Joeys side. Results are of a secondary importance for this team, what matters in the last two games is their continuing development as a springboard for 2017 and 2018.Hopefully work commitments and the weather will allow me to watch them against Shore on Saturday.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
I feel that the Newington 16a's side has really developed this year and begun to work much better as a team. Next year and the year after that Newington's first XV will be one to watch out for.

I know at least 3 of the current 16s cohort, including those playing Opens, are already in Yr.11.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I know at least 3 of the current 16s cohort, including those playing Opens, are already in Yr.11.

All that means they may repeat, do pathways or leave the school at the end of year 12. The bulk of that cohort, therefore can be developed over two years .Plus, Newington will also have its Year 11 intake next year and who knows what promising players may emerge from the new arrivals to the school. Additionally, the current 15As are developing nicely as a competitive force and could also offer some extra depth and talent in the that time period.

Time will tell, but on current form Newington will continue be a competitive force in GPS Rugby in next couple of years.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
who knows what promising players may emerge from the new arrivals to the school.

I am very sure the calibre of those arriving in year 11 next year and those who joined the school this year was/is well known ;)

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Update after Round 9

1: Joeys 8 wins 1 loss
2: Kings 6 wins 1 draw 2 Losses
3: Newington 5 wins 1 draw 3 losses
4: Riverview 3 win 5 losses and a washout
5: Scots 2 wins 6 losses and a washout
6: Shore 1 win 8 losses

Final round:

Round 10: K v E, N v J, I v S
Congrats to Joeys on taking an unassailable lead in the premiership. All class and a genuine all round team effort

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Well done to the Joe-boys on topping yet another age group pool. It does seem extraordinary that not one lad from the top two u16s GPS teams - Joeys and Kings - was deemed worthy of NSW u16s schools selection. Hopefully the next two years will see continued team success rewarded by the selectors and a decent showing in the NSW opens squad in 2017/18.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Well done to the Joe-boys on topping yet another age group pool. It does seem extraordinary that not one lad from the top two u16s GPS teams - Joeys and Kings - was deemed worthy of NSW u16s schools selection. Hopefully the next two years will see continued team success rewarded by the selectors and a decent showing in the NSW opens squad in 2017/18.

CatchnPass which players do you see from the Joeys 16s having capabilities to push for a 1stXV position in 2017. Not entirely sure how many 17's are playing 1stXV this year but know there is a couple.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Not when one considers who was in the selection room.;)

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
yes CatchnPass ... I totally agree .. staggered at some of the non-selections too

Scots season was not helped by Savala being out for most of it, and then losing their 8 to the 1st Xv, more recently

either way congrats to Joeys, in my estimation there were originally a weak age group ... back in 13s ... when Newington was dominant

however in true Joeys style, with a season of Boyd coaching, and no doubt a lot of hard yakka, they may well be the next age group that wins a title, in the Opens

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
yes CatchnPass . I totally agree .. staggered at some of the non-selections too

Scots season was not helped by Savala being out for most of it, and then losing their 8 to the 1st Xv, more recently

either way congrats to Joeys, in my estimation there were originally a weak age group . back in 13s . when Newington was dominant

however in true Joeys style, with a season of Boyd coaching, and no doubt a lot of hard yakka, they may well be the next age group that wins a title, in the Opens

Actually I believe in U13s they tied the top of the table with kings. Newington have never been dominant in this age group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually I believe in U13s they tied the top of the table with kings. Newington have never been dominant in this age group

Actually,Newington were undefeated as the 13As in 2013, they beat Joeys, 21-10 at Stanmore and 29-19 at Hunters Hill. I know I was their for both Matches. However,Due to a weaker age group above them, some of their players played in that age group at the expense of their normal age group from about the 14s onwards.Even, today there about 3 under 16 Players playing in either the 1sts or 2nds .Clearly these players will add to the strength of the current U/16 Cohort entering the opens next year. Some of these players may even be included for the Joeys U/16 game on Saturday.

The approach of playing players up weakened them as a team, although strengthened the age above them. Kings and Joeys emerged as forces to be reckoned with from 2014 with their U/14 teams. Although the Kings 13Bs of 2013 were a very strong side. If I remember correctly, I think they beat New 13bs about 91-0 in one match. Clearly the talent of these boys was eventually recognised and some finished in the A team the next year. The Kings A team has been strong ever since.

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)

image.jpeg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Actually,Newington were undefeated as the 13As in 2013, they beat Joeys, 21-10 at Stanmore and 29-19 at Hunters Hill. I know I was their for both Matches. However,Due to a weaker age group above them, some of their players played in that age group at the expense of their normal age group from about the 14s onwards.Even, today there about 3 under 16 Players playing in either the 1sts or 2nds .Clearly these players will add to the strength of the current U/16 Cohort entering the opens next year. Some of these players may even be included for the Joeys U/16 game on Saturday.

The approach of playing players up weakened them as a team, although strengthened the age above them. Kings and Joeys emerged as forces to be reckoned with from 2014 with their U/14 teams. Although the Kings 13Bs of 2013 were a very strong side. If I remember correctly, I think they beat New 13bs about 91-0 in one match. Clearly the talent of these boys was eventually recognised and some finished in the A team the next year. The Kings A team has been strong ever since.

And IIRC, Scots were the other strong team in the 13As 2013?

sideline selector

Frank Row (1)
And IIRC, Scots were the other strong team in the 13As 2013?

Yes Scots were strong in the 13A's for this age group finishing second only losing to Newington twice. This year scots have been really unlucky with Savala and Mason both out for the season (10,12). And then also having Williams, Harris, Baker and Wellington all playing opens. Would have been a great competition if all teams had all their players in their respective age groups.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Actually,Newington were undefeated as the 13As in 2013, they beat Joeys, 21-10 at Stanmore and 29-19 at Hunters Hill. I know I was their for both Matches.

I stand corrected and my apologies to the B and W army. "Measure twice cut once". You may well be right re U14. I suspect that New may have had a lot of boys young for their age who ended up playing up with their school mates who would now be in year 11.

Looking forward to next saturday with a cracking game to finish the 2016 season

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I stand corrected and my apologies to the B and W army. "Measure twice cut once". You may well be right re U14. I suspect that New may have had a lot of boys young for their age who ended up playing up with their school mates who would now be in year 11.

Looking forward to next saturday with a cracking game to finish the 2016 season

Your perfectly correct Armchair Selector,that their will be some cracking games to be played on Saturday between New and Joeys. In the 1st XV match both sides have have "risen from the dead" in Round 2 and defeated a majority of opponents who "Put them to the sword" in Round 1. The exception being Kings for Newington and Scots for Joeys.

To me the two round system is a revelation for GPS Rugby and adds an extra dimension of interest, excitement and unpredictability that did not exist in the old 7match competition.

All the A Team Games should be of additional interest as well. To the best of my knowledge, Joeys are the dominant team in the 13As,14As,15As and the 16As age groups. But Newington A teams since the holidays have been in good form and hopefully will provide extremely competitive opposition for joeys. This is not a "One Eyed" Assessment, but one borne out of the reality of recent results. New A Teams have only loss one match (13As to Shore) and drawn one ( 15As to Ignatius) since we played Trinity. Not bad for a school that has 5 teams in the 13s and four in the 14s,15s and 16s.

Of these A Team games, the 16s should be the most exciting.I just hope none of these matches are played off campus at either Enmore or Marrickville Ovals. Also, I hope that none the A Team games are played simultaneously. Watching a match on Old Boys Ovals and at the same time the main Oval is difficult to say the least.

Given good weather an exciting day, awaits both New and Joeys players and their supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.