• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Your perfectly correct Armchair Selector,that their will be some cracking games to be played on Saturday between New and Joeys. In the 1st XV match both sides have have "risen from the dead" in Round 2 and defeated a majority of opponents who "Put them to the sword" in Round 1. The exception being Kings for Newington and Scots for Joeys.

To me the two round system is a revelation for GPS Rugby and adds an extra dimension of interest, excitement and unpredictability that did not exist in the old 7match competition.

All the A Team Games should be of additional interest as well. To the best of my knowledge, Joeys are the dominant team in the 13As,14As,15As and the 16As age groups. But Newington A teams since the holidays have been in good form and hopefully will provide extremely competitive opposition for joeys. This is not a "One Eyed" Assessment, but one borne out of the reality of recent results. New A Teams have only loss one match (13As to Shore) and drawn one ( 15As to Ignatius) since we played Trinity. Not bad for a school that has 5 teams in the 13s and four in the 14s,15s and 16s.

Of these A Team games, the 16s should be the most exciting.I just hope none of these matches are played off campus at either Enmore or Marrickville Ovals. Also, I hope that none the A Team games are played simultaneously. Watching a match on Old Boys Ovals and at the same time the main Oval is difficult to say the least.

Given good weather an exciting day, awaits both New and Joeys players and their supporters.

Yes looking forward to it but it's a shame it's not on a full field or am I incorrect (OB1 at 1pm)? I get the problem with available fields but I find it puzzling that Scots and Newington don't think the 16s should have any priority & get to play on the main oval. If I were a back I would not be impressed particularly with speed to burn which Joeys showed plenty of at SJC #1 in the first round.

In any case, it should be great game to finish off the season & Newington have become a strong force in the comp as the season has progressed and certainly won't be underestimated.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yes looking forward to it but it's a shame it's not on a full field or am I incorrect (OB1 at 1pm)? I get the problem with available fields but I find it puzzling that Scots and Newington don't think the 16s should have any priority & get to play on the main oval.

HTR, Yep scheduled OB1 @1pm. I would have thought they could have swapped the 16As with 5th grade game which is played on Johnson @ 9 am or 9ths played same field at 8 am :eek:

Agree with earlier comments re OB fields. For the standard of Rugby played on them they are not acceptable sized fields beyond U14s. The in goal area would be 2 metres at best.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Y

All the A Team Games should be of additional interest as well. To the best of my knowledge, Joeys are the dominant team in the 13As,14As,15As and the 16As age groups. But Newington A teams since the holidays have been in good form and hopefully will provide extremely competitive opposition for joeys. This is not a "One Eyed" Assessment, but one borne out of the reality of recent results. New A Teams have only loss one match (13As to Shore) and drawn one ( 15As to Ignatius) since we played Trinity. Not bad for a school that has 5 teams in the 13s and four in the 14s,15s and 16s.

Of these A Team games, the 16s should be the most exciting.I just hope none of these matches are played off campus at either Enmore or Marrickville Ovals. Also, I hope that none the A Team games are played simultaneously. Watching a match on Old Boys Ovals and at the same time the main Oval is difficult to say the least.

Given good weather an exciting day, awaits both New and Joeys players and their supporters.

Sorry to disappoint you BAW, but from what I hear, all 16s games are on Old Boys and all 15s games are at Tempe. All open teams will be on the main field.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Interesting to note the 14As & 14Bs (Joeys v. New) are on Johnson Oval!

That makes no sense.

Unless, the "powers that be" are keen to play either the 14s on as large a field as possible or the 16s on as small a field as possible......

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That makes no sense.

Unless, the "powers that be" are keen to play either the 14s on as large a field as possible or the 16s on as small a field as possible..

Depends on how you define "makes sense". It might (I don't know) be school policy that all A and B teams get one match on the main field for example. I which case the decision makes a lot of sense. :)

There could also be other possibilities.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Depends on how you define "makes sense". It might (I don't know) be school policy that all A and B teams get one match on the main field for example. I which case the decision makes a lot of sense. :)

There could also be other possibilities.

Policy or not, it makes no sense because if the school is struggling for full size fields, why would they put the 16s on a less than full size field and younger age groups on a full size field? Clearly somebody needs a 'please explain'.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Policy or not, it makes no sense because if the school is struggling for full size fields, why would they put the 16s on a less than full size field and younger age groups on a full size field? Clearly somebody needs a 'please explain'.

Maybe they just think that it's kids footy and there aren't sheep stations riding on it so they spread things around?

I wouldn't think that anyone needs to explain anything.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Maybe they just think that it's kids footy and there aren't sheep stations riding on it so they spread things around?

I wouldn't think that anyone needs to explain anything.

Why not not put them on half size field then - that might solve some of your playing field problems? Great for their player development coming into the opens.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Depends on how you define "makes sense". It might (I don't know) be school policy that all A and B teams get one match on the main field for example. I which case the decision makes a lot of sense.

Well in that case it must be a "Newington" thing.

I cant think of a GPS schools that affords their U14B team the "privilege" of playing on the school's #1 field at the expense of an older age group, let alone an A team.

Scots = No
Joeys = No
Shore = No
Kings = No
Riverview = No

Anyway "c'est la vie" comments are more about providing the boys from both schools the opportunity to have a great game on a full sized field as opposed to one that is suitable for U10 pathways only

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)

I cant think of a GPS schools that affords their U14B team the "privilege" of playing on the school's #1 field at the expense of an older age group, let alone an A team.

Scots = No
Joeys = No
Shore = No
Kings = No
Riverview = No

Anyway "c'est la vie" comments are more about providing the boys from both schools the opportunity to have a great game on a full sized field as opposed to one that is suitable for U10 pathways only

You have not been there for a while so maybe the field has grown! With the last three games being at Joeys! Jokes aside I do agree.

sideline selector

Frank Row (1)

Newington like to put there 16A on a smaller fields such as Old Boys 1 as it benefits to their play style which is big forwards hitting it up through the middle. It also limits schools like Joeys to be able to play wide as there wingers have less space to use.

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
Newington like to put there 16A on a smaller fields such as Old Boys 1 as it benefits to their play style which is big forwards hitting it up through the middle. It also limits schools like Joeys to be able to play wide as there wingers have less space to use.

And just two years ago I watched Tyrone, Lawson and Serhon play up there. It hasn't changed. It's just the way it is. And I agree totally with you.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why not not put them on half size field then - that might solve some of your playing field problems? Great for their player development coming into the opens.

I don't have a problem - you're the one who seems to have a problem.

I can't imagine how these boys will ever be able to take the field again. This experience will obviously ruin their playing future.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Scots = No
Joeys = No
Shore = No
Kings = No
Riverview = No

Gee you must get around to know where every team plays every weekend.

Maybe you need to get some sort of measuring device out and go an check all the fields that 16As play on. Last year or the year before Riverview v Scots was on Riverview 4, Scots v Shore was over at Moore Park 15 or some such field.

You'd probably be surpised if you went around Sydney how few grounds are actually "full size". Players get by, games get played, the world doesn't end.

It's a nice thing to use as an excuse if you lose though.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.