• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Gee you must get around to know where every team plays every weekend.

Maybe you need to get some sort of measuring device out and go an check all the fields that 16As play on. Last year or the year before Riverview v Scots was on Riverview 4, Scots v Shore was over at Moore Park 15 or some such field.

You'd probably be surpised if you went around Sydney how few grounds are actually "full size". Players get by, games get played, the world doesn't end.

It's a nice thing to use as an excuse if you lose though.;)

I'm afraid you're missing the point QH - administrators everywhere including Joeys make strange decisions sometimes. For a school that acknowledges it has problems getting enough fields to then put a 14A & 14B on the main oval over a 16As on a small field just lacks logic in the extreme and is therefore queried. Good luck on Saturday to all sides.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm afraid you're missing the point QH - administrators everywhere including Joeys make strange decisions sometimes. For a school that acknowledges it has problems getting enough fields to then put a 14A & 14B on the main oval over a 16As on a small field just lacks logic in the extreme and is therefore queried. Good luck on Saturday to all sides.

I wasn't arguing for and against the decision, I simply pointed out that sometimes there are more to these things than meets the eye and that at the end of the day it's kids footy and the decsion isn't the end of the world.

I've just seen the full schedule for the day and all 6 open teams are also on the main field and the other age groups are all at the same location one after another. So from that perspective there's some logic involved. I've also been told that each age group has had turns at playing off site (at Tempe I think). This week that is the 15s. Maybe 14s was the easiest age group to split, given the times of other matches in eah age group.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I wasn't arguing for and against the decision, I simply pointed out that sometimes there are more to these things than meets the eye and that at the end of the day it's kids footy and the decsion isn't the end of the world.

I've just seen the full schedule for the day and all 6 open teams are also on the main field and the other age groups are all at the same location one after another. So from that perspective there's some logic involved. I've also been told that each age group has had turns at playing off site (at Tempe I think). This week that is the 15s. Maybe 14s was the easiest age group to split, given the times of other matches in eah age group.

Thanks Quick Hands, for your explanation on how Newington Rugby allocates it ovals. Clearly, many on this site though Newington Rugby had made a questionable decision for a variety of reasons. Although, its makes sense to allocate the 16As to the Johnson Oval and I personally had thought that way. But clearly a policy of rotation exists as you have explained, between the ovals.

Newington's traditional outlook of equality is most likely evident here. Such a policy will allow many teams to have their place in the Sun. Our 6th XV may not come within "A bulls roar of the 16As" But playing on the Johnson Oval gives them a sense of identity,pride and above all, memories. It also highlights that Newington Rugby is not just about the 1st XV.

To those boys of the 6th XV,enjoy the day boys for many of you its your last game in the Black and White and your its your moment in the Sun. Even better, boys, Rugby matches last longer than 15 minutes, so enjoy the day.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
personally I think it is shame ... as should be a cracking game ... Joeys v New 16As .... IMHO 14 Bs should be shunted ... oh well the "powers that be"

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks Quick Hands, for your explanation on how Newington Rugby allocates it ovals. Clearly, many on this site though Newington Rugby had made a questionable decision for a variety of reasons. Although, its makes sense to allocate the 16As to the Johnson Oval and I personally had thought that way. But clearly a policy of rotation exists as you have explained, between the ovals.

Newington's traditional outlook of equality is most likely evident here. Such a policy will allow many teams to have their place in the Sun. Our 6th XV may not come within "A bulls roar of the 16As" But playing on the Johnson Oval gives them a sense of identity,pride and above all, memories. It also highlights that Newington Rugby is not just about the 1st XV.

To those boys of the 6th XV,enjoy the day boys for many of you its your last game in the Black and White and your its your moment in the Sun. Even better, boys, Rugby matches last longer than 15 minutes, so enjoy the day.

Black & White - just to clarify there was nothing sinister to me. The field allocations just made no sense and I can see now that the school has some rotation policy. I still don't agree with it when you have 16s versus 14s to consider but in any case, here's to competitive games tomorrow and great rugby. The 16s should be the game of the season & tipping it could go either way.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
personally I think it is shame . as should be a cracking game . Joeys v New 16As .. IMHO 14 Bs should be shunted . oh well the "powers that be"

We may not agree with the decision, but at least we have an explanation thanks to, Quick Hands. However, I would love to see an exemption extended for these two teams. Outside the 1stXV games this 16A game could be one of the matches of the GPS rugby season.

Bluebags100

Frank Row (1)
Newington like to put there 16A on a smaller fields such as Old Boys 1 as it benefits to their play style which is big forwards hitting it up through the middle. It also limits schools like Joeys to be able to play wide as there wingers have less space to use.
Exactly SS - After manipulating the field size, dropping players back and awarding a missed conversion, New couldn't get the job done?The big boys showed a lot of fatigue early so I understand the small field. This was probably the most physical game of the year. Still both managed to get there backs some ball for some slick TRYs. The draw was a fitting result for a tough contest. Can't wait to see some of these boys in 2017 and lastly congrats to Joeys on stlye of rugby you play, a real team game

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Exactly SS - After manipulating the field size, dropping players back and awarding a missed conversion, New couldn't get the job done?The big boys showed a lot of fatigue early so I understand the small field. This was probably the most physical game of the year. Still both managed to get there backs some ball for some slick TRYs. The draw was a fitting result for a tough contest. Can't wait to see some of these boys in 2017 and lastly congrats to Joeys on stlye of rugby you play, a real team game

Yes, Joeys are a great rugby school, but the sanctimonious lecturing by a small section of their supporters is tiresome. Just get over it and watch the rugby.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

There was also a missed conversion,that was counted for Joeys as well. So a draw was a fair result. A bigger field would is open to question,as Newington's pick and drive game may benefited given the opportunity to unload the ball. The New 5/8 was certainly restricted by this field as much as any of the Joeys Players. As for the fitness of the new players, I will point out that Newington was down 14-28 and came back to draw the game. Hardly, a sign of a unfit side to stage a comeback.

Players dropping players don't recall any individuals from the 1st or 2nd XVs playing 16As. Please name them, I would be most intersted to know.

However, I do agree it was the most physical game I have seen at the 16A level.
I also an in agreement, that players in both teams will be delight to watch in their growth of the game. Both teams are full of talent at the moment I would rate the Joeys Players as more developed in their skill levels. Newington however I feel have more potential to be exploited. They are raw team with speed and strength, but lack numerous skills. Their lineout is terrible, they play to often as individuals in attack lacking effective support play. They have tendency to run across field, rather than run at their opposition. Securing the ball at the breakdown needs to improve. Finally, a real focused approach for the full game needs to be developed.

Many of these shortcomings will be addressed, beginning term 4 when I believe the players will start undertaking training for the 2017 season.

Air chair

Frank Row (1)
Another joeys 16As premiership after listening to all the hot air about New and others. News dirty tactics today a minor blemish in their dominating season where they went under the radar and kept putting team after team away. Proofs in the pudding

The amount of New and Scots die hards on this forum got tiring. Talking up players with no real skill or heart and semi forcing them into the rep team with chat and no real substance on the field.
Coaches at Joeys made a team of talented individuals into a class team with no major weaknesses. Was a joke that the winning team with a game in hand only had one player in the presidents team and really questions the credibility of the rep 16s program that so many people on this forum thrive on.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The New V Joeys clash in 16s has certainly garnered air time here.

My observations, both teams were fired up and were willing at the contest. Agree that it was a very physical affair.

To be frank the referee would reflect on his own performance and be unhappy. But the criticism lies firmly with Newington as hosts for the day; the referee had no assistant referees to work with nor any control on the sideline to keep the kids or spectators back. He was in the worst of both worlds and copped it from both sets of supporters. Yes he made mistakes.

The contest was worthy of better than old boys 1 as a field. Keeping 14As or Bs on Johnson made no sense to either side.

Frankly neither team were happy with 28 all as an outcome. But credit to both teams they respect each other and no doubt will look forward to willing contests in the opens in the years ahead.

Player of the day for me was Saul Lewis from Newington. With a 14 point deficit, he single handedly kept New in the game.

Best of luck to those boys selected for NSW Schools 16 or Sydney U16s.
Recognise that Rugby is more than the result and build and nurture friendships beyond the fish bowl.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So my final wrap following Round 10 for the U16 A competition:

1: Joeys 8 wins 1 draw 1 loss
2: Kings 7 wins 1 draw 2 Losses
3: Newington 5 wins 2 draws 3 losses
4: Riverview 3 win 6 losses and a washout
Scots 3 wins 6 losses and a washout
6: Shore 1 win 9 losses

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes, Joeys are a great rugby school, but the sanctimonious lecturing by a small section of their supporters is tiresome. Just get over it and watch the rugby.

I think QH you should talk to some of the other Newington dads who I spoke to after the game who were great. Most said the field allocation was ridiculous & sadly the ref had a very poor game for both sides. Show some class mate. Bell, Lewis extremely good today. A draw a fair result. Our boys had a great season - not bad for a team that could only get one player in each of the GPS sides. They can hold their heads high.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think QH you should talk to some of the other Newington dads who I spoke to after the game who were great. Most said the field allocation was ridiculous & sadly the ref had a very poor game for both sides. Show some class mate. Bell, Lewis extremely good today. A draw a fair result. Our boys had a great season - not bad for a team that could only get one player in each of the GPS sides. They can hold their heads high.

It may well have been a ridiculous field allocation. I never said it was or it wasn't. Do we really need people to go on about it for 5 days though?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

You do realise its only a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.