• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Barbarians tour to Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
Why should the Tahs even have to buy the Argentine TV feed? The Argentinian broadcasters would have had to purchase the rights to the game from the Tahs (or at least by proxy through the UAR) in the first place. Some shrewd negotiations could have resulted in a clause being put in the contract for the Tahs to be able to stream the game to NSW viewers.

I guess shrewd business practices and NSW Rugby don't match.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
Both XVs have been named for the first match. Argentina's bench has been named as well, but we're still awaiting the announcement for NSW's bench.

NSW Barbarians team to play the Pumas
Sunday August 4, 2013 (7.40am AEST)
La Plata RC, Buenos Aires

1. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tolu Latu (Sydney University)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
5. Mitchell Chapman (Eastern Suburbs)
6. Jed Holloway (Southern Districts)
7. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
8. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
13. Usaia O'Sullivan (West Harbour)
14. Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs)
15. Drew Mitchell (Randwick)

Replacements to be confirmed

Argentina
1. Marcos Ayerza (Leicester Tigers, England)
2. Eusebio Guiñazú (Bath Rugby, England)
3. Juan Figallo (Montepellier, France)
4. Manuel Carizza (unattached)
5. Mariano Galarza (unattached)
6. Juan Martin Fernández Lobbe (Toulon, France) captain
7. Pablo Matera (unattached)
8. Leonardo Senatore (Worcester Warriors, England)
9. Martin Landajo (unattached)
10. Juan Martin Hernández (Racing Metro, France)
11. Horacio Agulla (Bath Rugby, England)
12. Santiago Fernández (unattached)
13. Gonzalo Tiesi (unattached)
14. Gonzalo Camacho (Leicester Tigers, England)
15. Martín Rodríguez (Stade Francais, France)

Replacements from:
Agustín Creevy
Bruno Postiglioni
Matías Díaz
Juan Manuel Leguizamón
Benjamín Macome
Tomás Cubelli
Felipe Contepomi
Marcelo Bosch
Nicolás Sánchez
Juan Imhoff
Joaquín Tuculet
Lucas González Amorosino
Very interesting to me that Cheika has picked O'Sullivan in the XV. He only returned to rugby a few weeks ago and hasn't played a first grade game. Hepetema and McDougall have both had strong seasons. Cheika must have seen something in training to give O'Sullivan first crack.

Also interesting is that Cheika has chosen to play Holloway at 6 with Chapman at 5. He must really see Holloway as exclusively a loose forward.

Argentina's potentially picked a first choice XV. I don't know much about Matera and I'd have Bosch over Tiesi, but other than that it's very strong.

There will be highlights on the Tahs' website and YouTube channel.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting team. Especially the Usaia selection over Hepetema and McDougall. I remember watching Usaia at school, he was playing against Aloys one day and a young Tom Kingston absolutely schooled him all day long. And after being in league for the last few seasons it will be really interesting to see how he has developed.

Hopefully Latu has a good game, we need a couple of good hookers for next season.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well, this puts to bed the debate over whether or not Crawford wasn't picked for higher honours due to injury.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Both XVs have been named for the first match. Argentina's bench has been named as well, but we're still awaiting the announcement for NSW's bench.

Very interesting to me that Cheika has picked O'Sullivan in the XV. He only returned to rugby a few weeks ago and hasn't played a first grade game. Hepetema and McDougall have both had strong seasons. Cheika must have seen something in training to give O'Sullivan first crack.

Also interesting is that Cheika has chosen to play Holloway at 6 with Chapman at 5. He must really see Holloway as exclusively a loose forward.

Argentina's potentially picked a first choice XV. I don't know much about Matera and I'd have Bosch over Tiesi, but other than that it's very strong.

There will be highlights on the Tahs' website and YouTube channel.

Bosch is more of second five-eighth kind of centre, and Fernandez already has this role filled and is much more of a threat with the ball in hand

Guy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wow! really? - no broadcast... that's pathetic.

There will be a stream somewhere. I will try to find it. If I find the URL am I allowed to post it here?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
P.S i will tell you that it is no coincidence that Argentina are playing Carriza and Galarza over Alabcete.

I would even put money on that Cheika asked them to play those two and matera. So that he could run the rule over them, and plug some of those holes around the back five

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, this puts to bed the debate over whether or not Crawford wasn't picked for higher honours due to injury.

This is a huge concern. If Link thinks Betham is better than Crawford then he didn't see much of the Tahs this season. While Betham is a favorite of mine Crawford is miles better with his basic skills. I do not understand.?!

That's a seriously good Argentinian team, hopefully they'll be a bit rusty otherwise we could get seriously creamed.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
That's a seriously good Argentinian team, hopefully they'll be a bit rusty otherwise we could get seriously creamed.

It's not a competition game, wouldn't you want them to face the best possible team at their potential?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Cheika has chosen to play Holloway at 6 with Chapman at 5. He must really see Holloway as exclusively a loose forward.

Hollaway is a bit of a halfling as Dean Mumm was for the Tahs, but I think that he will spend more time playing 6 than in the second-row.

He's not really heavy enough to play lock in Super Rugby at a high level of effectiveness although some who are no heavier do play there, we know.

I'm picking that he will be around for a while as a 6 who can play lock - or 8, as he did for CAS in his school days. However, if the Tahs don't get a replacement for S. Timani, that could change.

I don't think that we should agonise too much as to who is playing/starting in this game, or the next one.

Things like this, and the selection of the squad in the first place for that matter, are not always what they seem to be.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I didn't mean to be intriguing as I have no special knowledge, but is a general observation that posters can read too much into things such as this.

Sometimes coaches just throw mud on the wall to see what bits stick and it doesn't necessarily signify a lot which particular glob is thrown first.

2bluesfan do you have any clue as to why Adam Coleman wasn't picked for this trip?

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
2bluesfan do you have any clue as to why Adam Coleman wasn't picked for this trip?
One club identity (not always totally reliable) was saying he has signed "elsewhere". I haven't spoken to him about it yet. If I get a chance, I'll check that rumour out today.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wouldn't they have announced it if that happened? Unless he was signed to the EPS? But that would be odd because if it was only for the EPS, I reckon the Force, Rebels, Waratahs and Brumbies would be interested. He wouldn't have to hurry to make a decision.

Santiago

Allen Oxlade (6)
DIRECTV ESPN Extra Canal 627 y HD Canal 101

those are the channels in argentina that will broadcast it

Reactions: Guy

Santiago

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Santiago - I will check to see if it works in the morning
remember it's at 17:40 ET and 16:40 CST and argie hour 18:40

you can change it to aus time easily, hope it works if not we have to search any other stream that works

Status
Not open for further replies.