• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Barbarians tour to Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wouldn't they have announced it if that happened? Unless he was signed to the EPS? But that would be odd because if it was only for the EPS, I reckon the Force, Rebels, Waratahs and Brumbies would be interested. He wouldn't have to hurry to make a decision.
I didn't get a chance to talk with Adam but people who would absolutely know say that he has signed a letter of intent with the Force, details are a bit sketchy. I'm a little surprised by this but perhaps the Force have outsmarted the Tahs by getting his signature first.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sounds great to me. Probably means the Force are looking at using MMM as a 6 next year. I still find it a little bit odd though and, as Rebels fans will tell you, letters of intent don't mean that much at the end of the day.

Guy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks Santiago you are a legend... anyoen else watching this?

Foley for Wallaby 10, just fast track him in for gods sake!

Santiago

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Santiago you are a legend. anyoen else watching this?

Foley for Wallaby 10, just fast track him in for gods sake!

no prob, i was really nerivous that there wouldn't be a stream, thanks for watch the game.

lost 29-27

the stream was in spanish, more in argentinian

the match, i think barbarians really made us nervous, gave a really good play and almots won it

for me? it was a tie, of course i'll go with a few positive stuff but we don't have alot of ball control, in the scrum was really good but in the line out was really bad

last 20 mns we got it somehow, and that's how we luckily won

nicolas sanchez TOP kicker

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Only saw the last ten minutes, just in time to see Foley kick the ball out on the full, as per usual.

Pumas came back well, a couple of solid performances, particularly their 6. Kepu was doing a lot of work, I assume he had been off for a rest and came back on? Skelton looking better and better. Still needs to learn to impose himself more at the collision with ball in hand. He should be breaking the line more often, I reckon.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Cam Crawford looked to of had a great game by the highlights. Did kepu score 2 try's. other 2 went to Crawford.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I only saw the last 10 to 15 minutes and the highlights but it appeared the pumas only really rolled over us as we threw on quite a few replacements

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kepu Scored 2, Betham and Schmoo scored the others.

Drew was MOM for mine. Scored one, set up 2 more, great kicking and dangerous in general play. Will be missed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
From the Waratahs media unit:

Waratahs Rugby Media Release
Sunday August 4, 2013

NSW Barbarians test Pumas with impressive four-try performance

A last-minute penalty goal was all that separated the NSW Barbarians from an experienced Argentina side in the teams’ first encounter in La Planta today, with the Pumas snatching victory with the last kick despite being outscored by four tries to three.

Two Sekope Kepu tries at either end of the first half gave the visitors a two-point advantage going into the break. That lead was extended just six minutes into the second period when wing Peter Betham crossed for NSW’s third try. When fullback Drew Mitchell added another on the 60 minute mark, Michael Cheika’s inexperienced NSW side looked like taking a big scalp against a fully-capped Test outfit, before two tries within four minutes from replacement hooker Agustín Creevy put the home side right back in the contest.

With Nicolás Sánchez and Bernard Foley exchanging penalty goals in the closing 10 minutes, the NSW Barbarians led by a single point going into the final seconds but a last-gasp Sánchez penalty right on the siren eventually seales the win for the home side.

Despite the loss, the NSW squad can be exceptionally pleased with their performance, pushing their vastly more experience Test opponents all the way, outscoring them by four tries to three and dominating possession for long stretches of the game.

Having gained valuable experience from playing against their Rugby Championship opponents, NSW’s international contingent today fly back to Australia to join the Wallabies training camp. The remaining Baa-Baas squad members will get another crack at the opposition when the two sides meet again on Friday August 9 at Estadio Padre Martearena in Salta (kick off 8.10pm local time).

Argentina: 1. Marcos Ayerza, 2. Eusebio Guiñazú, 3. Juan Figallo; 4. Manuel Carizza, 5. Mariano Galarza; 6. Juan Martin Fernández Lobbe, 7 Pablo Matera, 8. Leonardo Senatore; 9. Martin Landajo, 10. Juan Martin Hernández; 11. Horacio Agulla, 12. Santiago Fernández, 13. Gonzalo Tiesi, 14. Gonzalo Camacho; 15. Martín Rodríguez.

Replacements: 37 mins - Bruno Postiglioni (Marcos Ayerza); 40 mins - Agustín Creevy (Eusebio Guiñazú), Juan Manuel Leguizamón (Pablo Matera), Marcelo Bosch (Gonzalo Tiesi), Juan Imhoff (Gonzalo Camacho) and Joaquín Tuculet (Martín Rodríguez); 50 mins - Matías Díaz (Juan Figallo), Tomás Cubelli (Martín Landajo), Felipe Contepomi (Santiago Fernández) and Lucas González Amorosino (Horacio Agulla); 64 mins - Benjamín Macome (Leonardo Senatore) and Tomás Lavanini (Manuel Carizza); 67 mins - Nicolás Sánchez (Juan Martín Hernández).

Head Coach: Santiago Phelan

NSW Barbarians: 1.Sekope Kepu (Randwick), 2.Tolu Latu (Sydney University), 3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University), 4. Will Skelton (Sydney University), 5. Mitchell Chapman (Eastern Suburbs), 6. Jed Holloway (Southern Districts), 7. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), 8. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain), 9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), 10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University), 11. Peter Betham (Sydney University), 12. Rob Horne (Southern Districts), 13. Usaia O'Sullivan (West Harbour), 14. Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs), 15. Drew Mitchell (Randwick)

Replacements: 50 mins - Luke Holmes (Tolu Latu) and Tala Gray (Mitchell Chapman); 60 mins - David Lolohea (Paddy Ryan); 64 mins - Matt Lucas (Brendan McKibbin); 67 mins - Ben Volavola (Drew Mitchell); 69 mins - Michael McDougall (Rob Horne)

Not used: 17. Jeremy Tilse, 18. Sam Talaka, 19. Keliti Vangalo, 28. Jack Dempsey, 23. David Horwitz, 22. Alofa Alofa, 25. Alex Gibbon.

Head Coach: Michael Cheika

Timeline:

First Half:
2 mins - Horacio Agulla (A) try, Juan Martín Hernández (A) con
5 mins - Sekope Kepu (NSWB) try
26 mins- Juan Martín Hernández (A) penalty goal
40 mins - Sekope Kepu (NSWB) try, Brendan McKibbin (NSWB) con

Half-time: Argentina 10 – NSW Barbarians 12

Second Half:
46mins - Peter Betham (NSWB) try
55 mins - Juan Martín Hernández (A) penalty goal
60 mins - Drew Mitchell (NSWB) try, Bernard Foley (NSWB) con
63 mins - Agustín Creevy (A) try
66 mins - Agustín Creevy (A) try
75 mins - Nicolás Sánchez (A) penalty goal
77 mins - Bernard Foley (NSWB) penalty goal
80 mins - Nicolás Sánchez (A) penalty goal

Final Score: Argentina 29 – NSW Barbarians 27

Venue: La Plata Rugby Club.
Weather: Cold, 9°C, Relative Humidity 90%. Wind 3 Km/h
Referee: Francisco Pastrana (UAR)
AR1: Juan Hernán Sylvestre (UAR) AR2: Joaquín Otaño (UAR).
TMO: Javier Mancuso (UAR).

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Kepu Scored 2, Betham and Schmoo scored the others.

Drew was MOM for mine. Scored one, set up 2 more, great kicking and dangerous in general play. Will be missed.
I stand corrected. I was talking about drew not Crawford. Drew has hair! Lol I thought it was Crawford in the highlights.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good game. Both teams looked great once they got their attacking game going - the Tahs going midfield or wider, the Pumas through the guts.

Foley is bloody good at this 10 gig. But similar to Quade so you can't have them both in the same team IMHO.

Will Skelton was large with the ball and without it. Love him coming over the top on Fernandez Lobbe after Foley cut his legs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So presumably Foley, Ryan and Dennis flew back after this match to join the Wallabies squad assembling today?

Cyril Towers (30)
So presumably Foley, Ryan and Dennis flew back after this match to join the Wallabies squad assembling today?
And Kepu (who had his best game in a long time) and Betham. They get in at 0700 tomorrow and straight to the camp!

Status
Not open for further replies.