1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by rod skellet, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Hasbeen Syd Malcolm (24)

He is just a boy RR and possibly is not aware of the rule announced this afternoon. Go easy eh.a lot of the training takes place in the gym and that will have to end. As to the work on the paddock I am not sure if it will apply.
  2. Running_rugby_1954 Herbert Moran (7)

It was announced Monday not this afternoon.

Again, rules still don’t apply to Barker?

https://australia.rugby/news/2020/03/16/statement-community-rugby
  3. Hasbeen Syd Malcolm (24)

Speaking at cross purposes. I was referring to the announcement made by Morrison this afternoon but I do note anyway what you say re Monday’s Rugby announcement. Not sure if that announcement is binding on a private school anyway but perhaps others know better than I on that issue.
  4. The Ballkid Herbert Moran (7)

RA announcement was not binding in any way for most private schools comps including CAS
  5. Mr Serious Bob McCowan (2)

Ha Ha I see the schoolboys are back in the forums, no surprise they are waverley students utilising there "precious" class time correctly in the manner of taking the piss out of their fellow school mates. To the point about no CAS games being played this year I can see that happening as this epidemic will only get worse as it continues to grow, such a shame for the boys that are currently in year 12 as they may not be able to play their final year of schoolboy rugby.

Mr S:)
  6. ZHC Bob McCowan (2)

I'd be very very surprised if there was any CAS rugby 2020. It's probably going to be at least six months till this disease is completely under control and any kind of contact sport like rugby union is played again. ScoMo during his PM speech yesterday (Friday 27th March), mentioned six months a number of times.

If things really went well, maybe they might squeeze it in at the end of term 3, which would mean starting mid-late August and the boys back training at the end of July/start of August. Would they even entertain this, with the HSC disruption. Yes, I know a number of you will be thinking The Castle, tell the old fool "He's dreaming!". But we do have to have our dreams.
  7. formerflanker Bob Davidson (42)

Good point.
    Schools will not simply start up contact sport at the drop of a hat - pre-season contact work will have to be done first.
  8. Snort Dave Cowper (27)

It's time to be realistic and accept that it's next to impossible for any CAS Rugby to take place this year. Which sucks for those Year 12s not desperate enough to repeat a year of school just to play Rugby.

Look: I played competitive sport until I was fifty. I played competitive sport, year round (Rugby, cricket, repeat) for many years until injuries stopped the Rugby. I was Chairman of a major sporting club for years, and have written numerous books on sport. The point is: I like sport. A lot.

And yet maybe this is the time to gather in some perspective. Missing a year of school Rugby will harm no-one. Sure, there will be some boys who miss out on some memorable experiences, and won't get another line written on their school blazer, but in the wider scheme of things that's OK. They're at school to learn, and to move forward in life, and school football is at best a step on the way, not a destination.

Plus, no-one will ever to be able to say you were wrong. Wrong to say that this would have been St Aloysius' year. Wrong to say that Waverley wouldn't have got 17 players in the Australian Schools squad. Wrong to say that Knox wouldn't have thumped Barker (or vice versa). Wrong to say that this wouldn't have been the year Trinity kept its best side on the paddock through the season. So talk it up. No one will ever know any better.
    ZHC and formerflanker like this.
  9. WLF Phil Hardcastle (33)

Dear Snort, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would disagree with any of your points, they are all true, and luv your analogies, even if they are wrong,ha!

Assuming this takes 6 months to create a clear environment, what I think the schools may consider is an abbreviated comp, eg only the Opens teams play a CAS comp maybe mid week, as this covers the year 12 boys, and it may be voluntary given most have HSC exams,and other sports are about to start up. Of course this could only happen if this event gets sorted sooner than expected, but I would think the heads of Sports in each school are probably already trying to think outside the square.

Yes clearly I am always half glass full, and will have to meet you 1 day given our rivalry background, your literary skills and sporting life is very impressive.
    ZHC likes this.
  10. Flavio Allen Oxlade (6)

My predictions are

Alos would have won the comp undefeated, but bomb out in the HSC
    Knox win the Table tennis
    Trinity win the cricket
    Cranbrook win each other
    Waverly lose their 1st XV as the league clubs are broke
    Barker win because all that time spent training and playing is spent spading their female classmates
  11. Snort Dave Cowper (27)

So every other sporting medium is replaying old games to fill their programming.

In that spirit, let me throw this in - what was the strongest year ever in CAS Rugby?

Guidelines would include: beating GPS, getting players into Australian Schoolboys, and future Wallabies/other representative players. And generally speaking, the strength should be spread across schools, rather than there being one dominant school.

Let me start by eliminating my Year 12 (1979). From memory, CAS 1sts did beat GPS, but only two players (Andrew Ugarte and Toby Jones) got into one of the weaker Australian schools teams anyone can recall, and though a handful of players made it into First Grade after school, no-one got any further. So 1979 is out.

Any thoughts?
  12. WLF Phil Hardcastle (33)

Agree Snort about 1979 although some of the Aussie schoolboy selections were disgraceful, 2 boys I know 1 from Scots and 1 from Barker (you probably know who) were at this level for sure and better than the boys who got in.

My 2 bobs worth is 1981, both Joeys and Waves had tremendous teams that year,both undefeated all season, GPS beat CAS on the bell, but the schoolboys toured the UK and were undefeated by a long way. I can name a few Waves boys who went on with it, Matt Burke, his brother Brad and Tim Kava, there was also Colin Scotts from Scots and I am sure there were some Joe boys in that Aussie team.
  13. Snort Dave Cowper (27)

Yes, selections in general were pretty weird in 1979. There was a future Wallaby captain playing at school that year - he (Nick Farr-Jones) was in Newington's 2nds. There was a future Waratah winger playing too (David Croft) - in the Scots 2nds.

1981 was a great Waverley year, and you'd do well to beat Burke, Burke and Kava in any season. Were the other schools very good though? It was a dismal year for Trinity.
  14. WLF Phil Hardcastle (33)

Yes Snort, the Joeys side was red hot, Sydney high was also red hot and came so close to winning it, I think Joeys beat them by 2, Scots was also very good. Maybe any GPS watchers can help re names, in fact there was plenty of interest, as always, to see the GPS winners play the CAS winners, but even for 1 sat game,couldn't be done, should happen every year imo.
  15. rod skellet Nev Cottrell (35)

Welcome back Snort. Not that you have really ever left. Your question is a worthy topic and one that I will apply some cranium space too. I think in ten years time if you asked the same question again I think the 2017 & 2018 years will do well
  16. WLF Phil Hardcastle (33)

Hello Mr Skellet! Agree, those 2 years would stand up well.
  17. Jonte Frank Row (1)

Brother Murph described last years 3rds as the quickest and most skilful 3rds he has seen (that dates back to the 70s) There will be boys that were in the 3rds last year that will not make the team.
  18. WLF Phil Hardcastle (33)

Hi mate, trust you are all well!

If we get to play the CAS comp in term 3, what is the format at Easts?
    By that I mean, do the 1sts and 2nds play on the Friday night before the sat, what time, or is it just the 1sts?
    I assume all other Cranbrook home games in that round are played at Colleagues?

I would think we would all luv to see 2 games, eg 2nds at say 5.30pm and then 1sts at 7.30pm, and I bet the club would $ prefer 2 games. If the 2nds play on the sat, I assume they sit on the bench for the 1sts game?

Cheers!
  19. Flavio Allen Oxlade (6)

From our local club

The SJRU is targeting 26th July (subject to all the caveats around government restrictions) to get back on the field, with team training hopefully allowed from Tuesday 30th June onwards. Shute Shield is looking to commence the same weekend as SJRU, and subbies the weekend before on 18th July. Lots of uncertainty yes, but we have a target to work towards to get junior rugby back onto the field – nothing specific is required of clubs yet, I will be in contact in due course about what will happen next.
  20. WLF Phil Hardcastle (33)

Nice work Flav, my intel is school footy is being planned for term 3, with the Athletics season being shortened by a few weeks, which I think makes sense as both sports will be able to be completed.