• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW club rugby thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I said a few weeks ago I saw Jorgensen's name and assumed he had a son running around, but then I saw the article in the Telegraph.

Is Dane Inman any relation to Mitch? If he is how often has two sets of brothers played against each other in a grand final with the two Hangers up against each other.

I think numbers 4-8 for Uni will be the difference and they will win a tight one.

Interesting that Tilse, a Waratahs contracted player cant even make the 22 for Uni. Orbell must be a pretty handy player for the wicks to be keeping Fanifo out, or is he the kicker for the team? Does anyone know anything about Orbell? Shore and Dubbo boy by any chance?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jorgensen was playing professionally in the UK until last season I think.

If I were Randwick, I would move Hoiles to 7 and start with Mowen at 8.

Al Campbell is not S14 standard, but he is slightly better than the average club player. Together with Caldwell, that is a decent lock pairing. That seems to be where Uni have an obvious advantage. Randwick "should" have an advantage in the front row. Should be a cracker of a game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A good preview naza.

I wish that I could get a bit more excited about this game but when I watch the ANZC from NZ and the Currie Cup from the RSA, I just sigh and wish we had something like that as our tier of rugby below the S14.

Yeah, I know about the ARC - how could I not - I had been waiting for it and demanding it longer than anybody on any forum - but I know that some smug official from the old farts is going to say after the game something like: "What a nail biting game. That was an outstanding victory for for club rugby."

I demand recognition that I said that first.

I feel like T78 who, when I asked him about the Leinster v Ospreys game this weekend, said that he had a moral dilemma; for he couldn't work out who he hated most.

Likewise for me but I will have to be going for the Green Slime because Uni have too much condescending smugness.

gambler

Dane and Mitch are brothers with Luke Inman who played for the Tahs a few years back, and for Oz 7's. Neo Halangahu will be playing against his brother - but from the bench.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Cutter said:

Just cause they are rep players doesn't mean that's the best mix. Voullaire has been fantastic for Randwick - is absolutely everywhere. Mowen will come on with 20-30 mins to go for Houston.

the gambler said:
Orbell must be a pretty handy player for the wicks to be keeping Fanifo out, or is he the kicker for the team? Does anyone know anything about Orbell? Shore and Dubbo boy by any chance?

I don't think Orbell's that great. Has played most of the season at fullback. Then again Fainifo's form has been ordinary. I think they've gone more for type of player - Orbell links and kicks for position better, Fainifo predictably carts it up.

Goalkicker...good question. Walsh can kick but I recall Hoiles had the kicking duties a couple of games back.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
naza said:
Voullaire has been fantastic for Randwick - is absolutely everywhere.

I don't think Orbell's that great.

Goalkicker...good question. Walsh can kick but I recall Hoiles had the kicking duties a couple of games back.

Agree on Voullaire - I can't remember him before this year but he's had a cracking season.

Disagree on Orbell - he looks handy to me.

Hoiles was a crap kicker when I saw him at Coogee Oval once.

Not to the point but in that game Lachie Turner kicked some good goals for Eastwood. He didn't get them all but the ones he missed weren't terrible. I hope that he's good enough in the trials to get the gig for the Tahs.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
naza said:
Cutter said:

Just cause they are rep players doesn't mean that's the best mix. Voullaire has been fantastic for Randwick - is absolutely everywhere. Mowen will come on with 20-30 mins to go for Houston.

I cant disagree as I havent seen any club rugby for a couple of years. Unless things have changed, Uni dont play an expansive game. They play directly, mostly in the 10, 12 and, less often, in the 13 channel with forwards and big backs hitting it up off the 10 and sometimes the 12 and playing field position. Suspect Uni will use this strategy to grind Randwick into submission though. That's the way they have played for the last 10 years from colts through to first grade. For that reason, a bigger guy like Mowen might be useful.

If Vouillaire can do the job, good on him.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I havent seen any club rugby for the last 2 years either but I guess that is exactly how Uni will play once again Cutter. Afeki is a very strong ball runner, and with Davidson and Mumm at 8 and 6 they have an extremely quick and mobile back row that will look to attack Randwicks midfield.

What happened to Tom Carter? Another injured in the S14 final?

How old is Dane Inman? Must be first year out of school.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Oh. I assumed Dane was the youngest and hence thought he must have been straight out of school.

So does anyone know how old is he?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez they've got a spectacular bunch of morons working ABC Rugby broadcasts. The second try by Tryst was perfectly legal, even if he's touch-in-goal. Learn the rules you stupid fucks ::)

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
It is a stupid rule though.

Uni 45 smashed Randwick 20. Score flattered Randwick with them scoring a couple of late tries. Uni had the game won at about the 45th minute and pretty much coasted from there. No point rubbing it in too much when you're playing in 32 degree heat.

Uni were solid from 1 to 15. They rolled up their sleeves and got to work on their standard game plan. Randwick were too loose and just randomly threw the pill around hot potato style, which just put themselves under more pressure. Randwick's intensity and physicality was weak. They were meek and passive and tried to avoid the contact areas. Uni's defence frustrated them and Uni were dominant at the breakdown.

I'm quite annoyed Randwick didn't show much aggression or try to take the game to Uni. Easts gave Uni much more of a test in the semi. Uni were in their comfort zone for most of the game and strolled to their 4th consecutive 1st grade premiership.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
He did just fine. He's improved a hell of a lot the last couple of years. Has added some much needed pork but still gets around the park well. Was up against Kepu and wasn't troubled. Edwards has superior technique to him and will start. He needs to work on strengthening his neck and upper back a bit more but will be a reasonable backup for you guys.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Weeks was good at scrum time fos - though that was obviously in part to him having a superior second row/flank combo - Donkey Campbell (who can push and jump at lineouts but fuck all else) and Mongrel Caldwell (who is the man and carved up for a bloke only 2nd game back from months off) with Mumm and Waugh on the flanks. Kepu had some no-names called Chisholm and Brennan and his flankers probably don't know how to push, being from Randwick. But the Wicks were getting utterly nailed on their feed as Jerry Yanuyanutawa bent whomever they put up against him at will. The scrum for the Wicks got worse when Freier moved to flanker I noted.

Uni were all over them and it made a mockey of the Premier competition that all the lower grades looked to be fairly close while Uni should have cracked 50 and Randwick can be thankful they got into double figures. Spineless stuff by the men in green but what do you expect when they've got guys like Hoiles expected to make yards in traffic? Houston also saved his worst game of the year for last and Randwick looked like they'd had a flashbang let off in their faces while huddled in the change room - complete shellshock. One of the few shining lights was Freier (naturally) and that Froggy sounding openside they've got - Voullaire.

Randwick were stupid from the start, putting guys like Orbell on instead of Fainifo and their midfield pairing of Walsh and Inman were crap. Valentine had a shit game too but his forwards were getting rogered with a glass pineapple from the first minute.

From a Tahs' point of view - sign Yanuyanutawa up now. He has learned how to prop since Round 4 and with real locks behind him is a threat in the scrum. His form on the ball is amazing too and even though that first try was utter bullshit (how many other ways could it have been a knock-on Ayoub you stupid fuck?) he put in a great effort for a big guy in the heat.

Big winger Nasiganiyavi was largely absent from proceedings (and watched like a hawk too) until one of his tries toward the end and the great setup for Turinui's try. That's the sort of thing we need at the Tahs, along with the commitment of guys like Tim Davidson, who ran Ratu down despite it being the last few minutes of the game. He is like Richard Brown for mine without the maniacal intent. Shame he only got a year at the Tahs while Glass Shoulders Palu gets the big bikkies.

I'd still like someone to smash the living shit out of Nick Haydon though. He probably annoys people walking within a 2km radius of him and is clearly the most annoying fucker to ever pull on a #9 jersey - and that is saying something.

Without doubt the highlight of the broadcast was the flashback to the 1996 final between Randwick and the Rats. It featured:
- The SFS
- A crowd of more than 10 men + assorted dogs
- Some decent rugby
- Gregan passing WITHOUT DANCING A FOXTROT FIRST :eek:
- Gregan passing FAST :eek:
- Gregan PASSING without fucking around talking to the ref :eek:
- Chris Latham tearing it up for Randwick before he decided instead of being a comet in a bright galaxy, he'd be a star in a dark nebula aka QLD backline play :)
- Backs and forwards who could draw, pass, and run almost at the same time.

Those were the days.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NTA said:
Without doubt the highlight of the broadcast was the flashback to the 1996 final between Randwick and the Rats. It featured:
- The SFS
- A crowd of more than 10 men + assorted dogs
- Some decent rugby
- Gregan passing WITHOUT DANCING A FOXTROT FIRST :eek:
- Gregan passing FAST :eek:
- Gregan PASSING without fucking around talking to the ref :eek:
- Chris Latham tearing it up for Randwick before he decided instead of being a comet in a bright galaxy, he'd be a star in a dark nebula aka QLD backline play :)
- Backs and forwards who could draw, pass, and run almost at the same time.

Those were the days.

I was at that GF NTA. If I recall correctly, the star of the show was Campo who, I think, either set up one and scored one or set up two. Afterwards, he stayed around for about an hour and a half by himself signing autographs. You can say what you like about his views and articles, but he is humble and approachable. A friend rang him a few years ago to ask him whether he was available for, and if so at what price, a school fundraising golf day and dinner afterwards. Campo did it for free and donated a heap of signed gear.

Thanks for the update on the GF. It has confirmed that some sort of draft/salary cap/points system is needed in club rugby to redistribute the talent.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One other thing to note: In a very un-Randwick like maneuver, they took the points whenever on offer. I know they're considering themselves in a Grand Final, but that isn't the way Randwick play, and it isn't the way you play Uni early in the game. Get on the board. Get a FUCKLOAD of points on the board, and then make your tackles.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Cutter said:
Thanks for the update on the GF. It has confirmed that some sort of draft/salary cap/points system is needed in club rugby to redistribute the talent.

This is amateur sport. Who says these blokes want to be 'redistributed' ? Sheezus, do you work in middle management ?

J

jonnosan

naza said:
Cutter said:

This is amateur sport. Who says these blokes want to be 'redistributed' ? Sheezus, do you work in middle management ?

It's actually professional sport, at least in the minds of the ARU. This is the great (still) unresolved conflict - should sydney club rugby stand alone as it always has (with a couple of clubs with history and old boys networks able to attract all the talen), OR is it a feeder comp for the S14 / 3N sports entertainment business?

If the former, I'm cool with that, but let's go back to proper shameuterism, i.e. no tahs or wallabies or whatever allowed. If the later, then yeah, you need a draft to spread the talent around.

Status
Not open for further replies.