• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
Here's a curve ball for you all. With the country team being linked with Randwick and Easts (who have a couple of country origin boys living in the Rose Bay/Double Bay catchment), how is it that the players of that "next" level standard who are of country origin that play for say Sydney University, the only team with on sight accommodation for a lot of younger players is going to work.

Will Sydney UNi be happy to let their players go t the country team and leave their Stars high and dry? For example, Stu Dunbar, Pat McCutcheon, et al are all proud country boys, but is their link to uni going to cause a problem? I would be thinking the country team would be gunning for a guy like Pat to be their skipper IMO?

Interesting times ahead. I must admit however that of all the teams in the comp, i hope that this one works the best. It would be the biggest step forward for the game to have a professional or semi professional team based in the country or at least playing games there for the local kids. I just hope the ego's in rose bay and coogee can shut up long enough for it to work.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Just read an article in the Western Daily newspaper that quotes James Grant talking about the Country NRC team. It says that "upwards of 10 Country players" should be in the team. If the squad comprises 33 players, 16 of of which are allocated from Super 15 Franchises, plus 10 dinkum country boys, that leaves Easts & Randwick players to share 7 other spots. Not sure that is the desired outcome however am sure that that scenario will not please aspiring players from Easts & Randwick.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Just read an article in the Western Daily newspaper that quotes James Grant talking about the Country NRC team. It says that "upwards of 10 Country players" should be in the team. If the squad comprises 33 players, 16 of of which are allocated from Super 15 Franchises, plus 10 dinkum country boys, that leaves Easts & Randwick players to share 7 other spots. Not sure that is the desired outcome however am sure that that scenario will not please aspiring players from Easts & Randwick.
Macca,

Can we think of 10 FDCB's that will:
A: Give up their jobs/commitments/families etc in Dubbo, Orange, Tamworth or even Newcastle to move to Sydney for this period of time?
B: How many of these players will receive repatriation from their aforementioned jobs to "go play footy"??? Mine jobs are bloody hard to come by and last a shitload longer. All you have to do is think back to Steve Merrick not wishing to take the pay cut and then George Gregan would never have played that many tests.
C: Are Easts and Randwick expected to foot accom etc? Or will the CRU go back to the old "billeting" system to house our FDCB's?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Macca,

A: Give up their jobs/commitments/families etc in Dubbo, Orange, Tamworth or even Newcastle to move to Sydney for this period of time?
B: How many of these players will receive repatriation from their aforementioned jobs to "go play footy"??? Mine jobs are bloody hard to come by and last a shitload longer. All you have to do is think back to Steve Merrick not wishing to take the pay cut and then George Gregan would never have played that many tests.
C: Are Easts and Randwick expected to foot accom etc? Or will the CRU go back to the old "billeting" system to house our FDCB's?

Brian-
your points sound reasonable to me. Still I wouldn't be surprised what young ambitious players will do to get ahead. They will see this as a stepping stone.
I also heard that the Country team is not the CRU - it is actually a group of 7 or so rugby enthusiasts who stumped up circa $50k each - presumably James Grant is one of them - it has the blessings of the CRU however no direct link

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Macca,

A couple can stay here

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Brian-
your points sound reasonable to me. Still I wouldn't be surprised what young ambitious players will do to get ahead. They will see this as a stepping stone.
I also heard that the Country team is not the CRU - it is actually a group of 7 or so rugby enthusiasts who stumped up circa $50k each - presumably James Grant is one of them - it has the blessings of the CRU however no direct link
I think this, if it is the case, will make a difference. If it was left up to the CRU it would be the usual suspects trotted out and another trough feast.
I still reckon that the dry cleaners are in overdrive in Gosford, Orange and other minor country centres getting the mould off the old blazers.

I hope I am wrong

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My second team, having grown up in the Country. Maybe just abbreviate the name and leave it.

GO THE C**S!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
My second team, having grown up in the Country. Maybe just abbreviate the name and leave it.

GO THE C**S!

Who was the country party member that said (Ian Sinclair?)
"I'm a Country member" to which the Parliament responded, yeah, we remember.......

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
The NSW Country Seniors and Colts sides have been named after the recent NSW Country Champs that were played out last weekend, a couple of the seniors come to mind to possibly make the NSW Country NRC side, such as Newcastle Wanderers rep Dylan Evans, a big and robust prop who represented Combined Country against the British Lions touring side last year, also halfback Auvasa Faleallii, who gained a training contract with the NSW Waratahs after a stellar year up in the Newcastle/Hunter comp for the premiership winning team 'The Waratahs'

Anyone care to post their thoughts on possible selections, i know there is still a lot in progress before the NRC gets up and running later this year and that it is based out of Sydney, you would have to think at least a handful of actual NSW Country representatives would be included in the final NRC side..

GrainCorp NSW Country Cockatoos training squad 2014

• Andrew Barrett Illawarra
• Scott Burgess Central West
• Ben Damen Far North Coast
• Dylan Evans Newcastle Hunter
• Auvasa Faleallii Newcastle Hunter
• Mahe Fangupo Central West
• AJ Gilbert Far North Coast
• Ben Greentree Illawarra
• Mitch Hardy Illawarra
• Gavin Holder Illawarra
• Andre Itula Illawarra
• Ryan Jackson Central North
• Tom Joseph Central West
• Steve Lamont Newcastle Hunter
• Adam McCormack Mid North Coast
• Lachie McCutcheon Central West
• Cal McDonald Newcastle Hunter
• Mark Minter Illawarra
• Peter Nau Central West
• Donovan Nepia Illawarra
• Filisone Patua Central West
• Chris Plunkett Central West
• Lee Russell Illawarra
• Dan Ryan Central West
• Bradd Sheridan Central Coast
• Eli Sinoti Illawarra
• James Smith Illawarra
• Josh Stewart Central North
• Paul Tuala Illawarra
• Hayden Tidswell Central West
• Sione Toki Central Coast
• Phil Tonkin Central West
• Amoni Vea Central West
• Mark Wade Newcastle Hunter

NRMA NSW Country Cockatoo Colts training squad 2014

• George Ashworth Newcastle Hunter
• Hamish Austin Newcastle Hunter
• Jackson Baker Central Coast
• Oliver Bartlett New England
• Terry Brown Central West
• Riley Byrne Central West
• Michael Carr Central North
• Tom Cleary Central Coast
• Daryen Hazell Central West
• Jaden Hetherington Newcastle Hunter
• Cory Holwill Central Coast
• Angus Howard New England
• Ethan Kelly Mid North Coast
• Matt King Central Coast
• Junior Mapesone Illawarra
• Connor O’Leary Newcastle Hunter
• Jackson Paul Newcastle Hunter
• Ted Pye Far North Coast
• Mackenzie Rae Newcastle Hunter
• George Rixon Central North
• Will Robinson Central North
• Harry Veitch Central North
• Blake Walsh Newcastle Hunter

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

they won't get 16 waratahs at each nsw club.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
they won't get 16 waratahs at each nsw club.

!00% correct. As above, they are to be allocated from all of the Super 15 franchises. Don't know how they decide who goes where however the starting point might be club or origon.
Also hear that the purported Country Coach Darren Coleman is taking over from Mark Bakewell at Easts. That should guarantee a strong representation for the Beasties players you would think. Not looking good if you play for Randwick and have your heart set on a NRC gig!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just throwing up a baseline nucleus of a team with the exception of the out and out country players as I have no idea their capabilities .So basically A combined randwick , Easts, country origin blokes from super (that I know)

1 toa asa (wicks)
2 Selala Lam (easts)
3 Tim Metcher (country)
4 Lachie McCutcheon (country)
5 Richard Stanford (easts, country)
6 Steve Hoiles (wicks)
7 Pat McCutch (country)
8 Tala Gray (easts)
9 Brendon Mckibbon (easts)
10 Dav Horwitz (wicks)
11 Stu Dunbar (country )
12 Jono Lance (easts)
13 Matt Carraro (wicks)
14 Ethan Ford (wicks)
15 Andrew Kellaway (wicks)

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Just throwing up a baseline nucleus of a team with the exception of the out and out country players as I have no idea their capabilities .So basically A combined randwick , Easts, country origin blokes from super (that I know)

1 toa asa (wicks)
2 Selala Lam (easts)
3 Tim Metcher (country)
4 Lachie McCutcheon (country)
5 Richard Stanford (easts, country)
6 Steve Hoiles (wicks)
7 Pat McCutch (country)
8 Tala Gray (easts)
9 Brendon Mckibbon (easts)
10 Dav Horwitz (wicks)
11 Stu Dunbar (country )
12 Jono Lance (easts)
13 Matt Carraro (wicks)
14 Ethan Ford (wicks)
15 Andrew Kellaway (wicks)

Great Stuff!
Kellaway must be something special. If he is that good and can be in the starting side, I would have him swap positions with Dunbar - not sure he plays wing.
Who would you add to the balance of the squad?
I think I read the full squad will be 33 players although I wouldn't bet my house on it.
Given the Country influence/ownership, my guess is they will want another 8 or 10 country boys in the squad leaving another 8 places for Easts & wicks players

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Great Stuff!
Kellaway must be something special. If he is that good and can be in the starting side, I would have him swap positions with Dunbar - not sure he plays wing.
Who would you add to the balance of the squad?
I think I read the full squad will be 33 players although I wouldn't bet my house on it.
Given the Country influence/ownership, my guess is they will want another 8 or 10 country boys in the squad leaving another 8 places for Easts & wicks players
yeah i would say 10 homegrown still playing country guys. from their 2014 squad listed on the website i recognise AJ Gilbert and former wicks winger Tom Joesph but ubsure of the rest.

that leaves 8 spots assumably from wicks and easts current grade players.

randwick in the mix :goodbody, baldwin, figg, munro, Kuki Ma'afu, windon

Easts in the mix: Chris Tuatara-Morrison, Irwin, la vin

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Word is that they will be the Woylies. Apparently, some guy with clout wants to make a statement about the endangered species out in the bush. If true, I also hope the selectors try and make players like Pat MCutcheon, Lala Lam and Tala Grey similarly scarce in the team.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't be surprised if some players from SS clubs other than Randwick and Easts are chosen for the Country side. Players with a Country origin/background will be considered no matter where they play. Remember a couple of years ago a City Country game was played where Country origin players were selected.

I don't know if those players located and playing in Country centres would be ready after a few short weeks training to take on the other franchises. They have plenty of ticker and some talent but they lack the overall playing experience of those playing SS each week. I live in Newcastle and over the past several years have watched a lot of local rugby. Newcastle ran second in the just completed Country Championships. I just don't think they would compete over the term of the NRC with little training

Status
Not open for further replies.