• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't be surprised if some players from SS clubs other than Randwick and Easts are chosen for the Country side. Players with a Country origin/background will be considered no matter where they play. Remember a couple of years ago a City Country game was played where Country origin players were selected.

I don't know if those players located and playing in Country centres would be ready after a few short weeks training to take on the other franchises. They have plenty of ticker and some talent but they lack the overall playing experience of those playing SS each week. I live in Newcastle and over the past several years have watched a lot of local rugby. Newcastle ran second in the just completed Country Championships. I just don't think they would compete over the term of the NRC with little training
yep see above metcher, dunbar, mcutch all at other clubs and im sure there are others but unsure who?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Word is that they will be the Woylies. Apparently, some guy with clout wants to make a statement about the endangered species out in the bush.
I'm presuming this is a joke. For interest, Woylies haven't ever lived in NSW and now are confined to a small area in South WA. Mind you I've never seen a Tiger in Balmain or Knights in Newcastle.

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
The NSW Country Seniors and Colts sides have been named after the recent NSW Country Champs that were played out last weekend, a couple of the seniors come to mind to possibly make the NSW Country NRC side, such as Newcastle Wanderers rep Dylan Evans, a big and robust prop who represented Combined Country against the British Lions touring side last year, also halfback Auvasa Faleallii, who gained a training contract with the NSW Waratahs after a stellar year up in the Newcastle/Hunter comp for the premiership winning team 'The Waratahs'

Anyone care to post their thoughts on possible selections, i know there is still a lot in progress before the NRC gets up and running later this year and that it is based out of Sydney, you would have to think at least a handful of actual NSW Country representatives would be included in the final NRC side..

GrainCorp NSW Country Cockatoos training squad 2014

• Andrew Barrett Illawarra
• Scott Burgess Central West
• Ben Damen Far North Coast
• Dylan Evans Newcastle Hunter
• Auvasa Faleallii Newcastle Hunter
• Mahe Fangupo Central West
• AJ Gilbert Far North Coast
• Ben Greentree Illawarra
• Mitch Hardy Illawarra
• Gavin Holder Illawarra
• Andre Itula Illawarra
• Ryan Jackson Central North
• Tom Joseph Central West
• Steve Lamont Newcastle Hunter
• Adam McCormack Mid North Coast
• Lachie McCutcheon Central West
• Cal McDonald Newcastle Hunter
• Mark Minter Illawarra
• Peter Nau Central West
• Donovan Nepia Illawarra
• Filisone Patua Central West
• Chris Plunkett Central West
• Lee Russell Illawarra
• Dan Ryan Central West
• Bradd Sheridan Central Coast
• Eli Sinoti Illawarra
• James Smith Illawarra
• Josh Stewart Central North
• Paul Tuala Illawarra
• Hayden Tidswell Central West
• Sione Toki Central Coast
• Phil Tonkin Central West
• Amoni Vea Central West
• Mark Wade Newcastle Hunter
NRMA NSW Country Cockatoo Colts training squad 2014

• George Ashworth Newcastle Hunter
• Hamish Austin Newcastle Hunter
• Jackson Baker Central Coast
• Oliver Bartlett New England
• Terry Brown Central West
• Riley Byrne Central West
• Michael Carr Central North
• Tom Cleary Central Coast
• Daryen Hazell Central West
• Jaden Hetherington Newcastle Hunter
• Cory Holwill Central Coast
• Angus Howard New England
• Ethan Kelly Mid North Coast
• Matt King Central Coast
• Junior Mapesone Illawarra
• Connor O’Leary Newcastle Hunter
• Jackson Paul Newcastle Hunter
• Ted Pye Far North Coast
• Mackenzie Rae Newcastle Hunter
• George Rixon Central North
• Will Robinson Central North
• Harry Veitch Central North
• Blake Walsh Newcastle Hunter
whats happened to Illawarra there is only with 1 colt in the squad

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I'm presuming this is a joke. For interest, Woylies haven't ever lived in NSW and now are confined to a small area in South WA. Mind you I've never seen a Tiger in Balmain or Knights in Newcastle.
Not so. The Woylie has lived in NSW: this from an official government website. If you have been around as long as I have, you never give up hope of the little blighters being seen again in this state.

Australian Distribution
Distribution
The Woylie is endemic to Australia and once occupied most of the Australian mainland, south of the tropics including the arid and semi-arid zones of Western Australia, the Northern Territory, South Australia, NSW and Victoria. By the 1970s, its distribution had been reduced to three locations in Western Australia: Perup forest, Tutanning Nature Reserve and Dryandra Woodland (DEC 2007; Van Dyck & Strahan 2008). Like many medium-sized terrestrial mammals formerly occurring in arid and semi-arid Australia, the species had retreated to the most mesic parts of its former range since European settlement (Burbidge & McKenzie 1989).

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Great Stuff!
Kellaway must be something special. If he is that good and can be in the starting side, I would have him swap positions with Dunbar - not sure he plays wing.
Who would you add to the balance of the squad?
I think I read the full squad will be 33 players although I wouldn't bet my house on it.
Given the Country influence/ownership, my guess is they will want another 8 or 10 country boys in the squad leaving another 8 places for Easts & wicks players
If they take 8 or 10 men from the country, will they be the top players? As a couple of the standouts from the Country team could not take the pay cut!!!!
Some of these guys are on massive coin in their chosen jobs. And as far as the colts boys go, there are more than 1 that couldn't make their respective schools 1st XV... Late bloomers?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Missing from the Cockatoos Colts squad?

Billy FREEMAN, Kinross Wolaroi Graduate of 2013. Played NSW I Schoolboys. Unknown location in 2014. Not good enough/Not playing this year /injured/work/travel/studying elsewhere?

Elliot JENNINGS, All Saints Maitland 2103. Played NSW II Schoolboys. Unknown location in 2014. Not good enough/ Not playing this year /injured/work/travel/studying elsewhere?

Will RIDLEY, Scots College Graduate of 2013. Played NSW I Schoolboys. Rumoured to be in Forbes in 2014. Not good enough/ Not playing this year /injured/work/travel/studying elsewhere?

Any clues?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pete

Of the players you identified from Randwick Easts how many have a Country connection

ILMF SEE COMMENTS BESIDE PLAYERS FOR KNOWN COUNTRY CONNECTION

1 toa asa (wicks) ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION - ISLANDER FELLA
2 Selala Lam (easts) ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION - ISLANDER FELLA
3 Tim Metcher (country) COUNTRY LAD, PLAYED COUNTRY V LIONS
4 Lachie McCutcheon (country) ONLY CURRENT COUNTRY FORMER 1ST SU
5 Richard Stanford (easts, country) COUNTRY LAD, PLAYED COUNTRY V LIO
6 Steve Hoiles (wicks) mother was from country town (stretch)
7 Pat McCutch (country) country lad through and through
8 Tala Gray (easts) ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION - ISLANDER FELLA
9 Brendon Mckibbon (easts) not sure
10 Dav Horwitz (wicks) east subs boy no connection
11 Stu Dunbar (country ) country lad
12 Jono Lance (easts) not sure
13 Matt Carraro (wicks) FROM CENTRAL COAST
14 Ethan Ford (wicks) FROM KIAMA
15 Andrew Kellaway (wicks) not sure

So
4 no association with country
7 Country raised
3 Not sure
1 parental country association

Can any1 else help here?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jed Holloway (Yamba). Attended Waverley, played Juniors for Randwick while attending waverley. Moved to Souths for Colts, now grade for South.

Perfect Country candidate.

Tala Grey played Under 16 for Victoria. Send him to Melbourne Rising.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How can you have a NSW Country side with players born, raised and only playing in a city in it. Not really a Country side

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Works for Pommie Soccer. Chelsea is owned by a Russian, and can trot out a team with no Soap Dodgers in it at all, including the coach. Man U could do similar.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't think rolling out a team that would get beat consistently by a cricket score each week is going to promote the game in the country. Fill the squad with guys from the country, play the games in the country to grow the game and bring the juniors through. Its a bit idealistic to think in todays day and age in a professional competition you are going to have an out and out country side competing against the rest. The most recent VC of the wallabies was born in NZ

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
ILMF SEE COMMENTS BESIDE PLAYERS FOR KNOWN COUNTRY CONNECTION

1 toa asa (wicks) ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION - ISLANDER FELLA
2 Selala Lam (easts) ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION - ISLANDER FELLA
3 Tim Metcher (country) COUNTRY LAD, PLAYED COUNTRY V LIONS
4 Lachie McCutcheon (country) ONLY CURRENT COUNTRY FORMER 1ST SU
5 Richard Stanford (easts, country) COUNTRY LAD, PLAYED COUNTRY V LIO
6 Steve Hoiles (wicks) mother was from country town (stretch)
7 Pat McCutch (country) country lad through and through
8 Tala Gray (easts) ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION - ISLANDER FELLA
9 Brendon Mckibbon (easts) not sure
10 Dav Horwitz (wicks) east subs boy no connection
11 Stu Dunbar (country ) country lad
12 Jono Lance (easts) not sure
13 Matt Carraro (wicks) FROM CENTRAL COAST
14 Ethan Ford (wicks) FROM KIAMA
15 Andrew Kellaway (wicks) not sure

So
4 no association with country
7 Country raised
3 Not sure
1 parental country association

Can any1 else help here?

IIRC both Lala Lam and Tala Grey played club rugby in Canberra before heading for the big smoke. Is that Country enough?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
IIRC both Lala Lam and Tala Grey played club rugby in Canberra before heading for the big smoke. Is that Country enough?

Lam is ACT raised (as is his brother who's had some success in NZ) and Tala is Victorian raised and was one of those very rare players who made Australian Schoolboys out of Victoria back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.