• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Invitational U16 Tournament 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
My only reticence in not mentioning his name on a public forum is that he doesn't strike me as a glory seeker.. He is a rare individual and does it for the love of the code and the lads who play rugby in the west

That is 100% correct, he does it for the betterment of Rugby not for personal glory. He was a happy man on Saturday.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Surprised at some of the controversy... Although not shocked!

Without knowing any of the inner machinations I will say that Bailey Simmonsen (playing in 13 but named at 12 in the program) was the stand out player in Sunday's game, despite spending 10 in the bin.

nothismum

Frank Nicholson (4)
Talking about odd selections, once Goddard pulled out of Schools, how did the 3rd pick 9 for GPS get the spot on the team over the 1st pick of CHS, ISA, CAS.... Dad??

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Talking about odd selections, once Goddard pulled out of Schools, how did the 3rd pick 9 for GPS get the spot on the team over the 1st pick of CHS, ISA, CAS.. Dad??

I think he was 2nd choice: it goes A's, B's, Reserve for A's, Reserve for B'.s
But it is still a good question.
Surprised at some of the controversy. Although not shocked!

Without knowing any of the inner machinations I will say that Bailey Simmonsen (playing in 13 but named at 12 in the program) was the stand out player in Sunday's game, despite spending 10 in the bin.

Maybe so but if that's the answer ( which can only be offered retrospectively) why play the trials at all: juts pick who you think is the best.
Its partly a product of the ridiculous circumstance of picking the team 4 months before it plays and partly the product of connections.
As nothismum implies: a 15 who didn't play deserved to be picked ahead of all the 13s/12s from all the other school systems. Particularly if you bother to youtube his game against TSC 1st XV.
Is that because he has a contract with the Bulldogs, Des Hasler knows horseflesh ipso facto he must be better?

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Talking about odd selections, once Goddard pulled out of Schools, how did the 3rd pick 9 for GPS get the spot on the team over the 1st pick of CHS, ISA, CAS.. Dad??
The Pres A half played sat and IIRC went on hols so the As Reserve half played Sunday morning had a shocker and the young half from Pres B was called up to Pres A to play the second game at knox. Made Pres XV as their number 1 half and when Harrison pulled out he slotted in to the schools team
All above board. Had a great carnival as well

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Pres A half played sat and IIRC went on hols so the As Reserve half played Sunday morning had a shocker and the young half from Pres B was called up to Pres A

Spot on.
At least he was there. Goddard and Lough were in a different category having played U16s last year and in both cases making open NSW teams this year.
Also, oldanslow, who is to say that one of the ISA, CHS etc etc boys at 12/13 would not have been "the standout player in Sunday's game" if given the chance.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Spot on.
At least he was there. Goddard and Lough were in a different category having played U16s last year and in both cases making open NSW teams this year.
Also, oldanslow, who is to say that one of the ISA, CHS etc etc boys at 12/13 would not have been "the standout player in Sunday's game" if given the chance.
IS have to agree with you. I do like the 13 who came in for injury to schools but I thought it was a prerequisite to selection to play in the schools carnival ( opens /16s )

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think he was 2nd choice: it goes A's, B's, Reserve for A's, Reserve for B'.s
But it is still a good question.

Maybe so but if that's the answer ( which can only be offered retrospectively) why play the trials at all: juts pick who you think is the best.
Its partly a product of the ridiculous circumstance of picking the team 4 months before it plays and partly the product of connections.
As nothismum implies: a 15 who didn't play deserved to be picked ahead of all the 13s/12s from all the other school systems. Particularly if you bother to youtube his game against TSC 1st XV.
Is that because he has a contract with the Bulldogs, Des Hasler knows horseflesh ipso facto he must be better?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS have to agree with you. I do like the 13 who came in for injury to schools but I thought it was a prerequisite to selection to play in the schools carnival ( opens /16s )

My information (not that it applies to Goddard/Lough) is that the U16s selectors took no account whatever of form in the opens rep trials.
So you have a situation in which seeing someone play a club game or a school U16s game trumps seeing someone play CHS v ISA in opens or whatever.
How can that be?

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
Dear Inside Shoulder (or should that be 'Axe to Grind'), Its not hard to work out who you are hiding behind your snivelling little comments posted on this site. It is almost worth outing you, almost! Clearly you have some knowledge of the Simonsson boy's situation. The fact you knew his Father moved to Canberra for work (in other posts), that he has links to coaching (again posted by you), Bailey's previous Knox School attendance, time at the Gordon club etc. However, I wonder what the readers would think of such a two faced individual who sides up to them in public because their sons are friends but writes this crap about Bailey and his Father behind their backs! On discussing your comments with his Father it was interesting how he immediately nominated you! Being so close to the 'family' as you appear to be, perhaps you should have asked what the circumstances were concerning Bailey's selection on the weekend. But why would you let the truth get in the way of your agenda. Let's not worry about the games, or post one comment on how the teams played, which I assume you watched. Instead lets whinge about the selections over two players.

For the record I am informed:
  • Bailey was asked half way through the NSW Schools trainig camp if he could replace an injured player, he drove from Canberra to Sydney that evening to attend;
  • Simonsson's Father would not know the selcetors or coaches if he fell over them and your suggestiions of him being selcted for those reasons are way off the mark and insulting;
  • I am told Bailey assumed he would play Fullback or wherever they needed him, he didn't really care but was grateful to be asked. He even had a run at 10 when asked;
  • Every representative team will have players selected outside the trials that's common practice and common sense;
  • Bailey's father has told me that there has always been problems with selections with NSW Schools, Sydney Juniors etc but its not an easy task and not one he has ever been part of;
Finally, your comment about youtubing Simonsson's game against TSC is a classic. I assume you are referring to a missed tackle on the half back? Actually the rest of his game was very good but why would you let that stand in your way of putting the kid down at every opportunity. (Jealousy perhaps). What a pathetic little creature you are (little based on the size of your testicles not your waistline) who can sit here anonymously thowing ill informed criticism around about a 16 year old BOY! Grow up mate! Oh and now his Father knows about the comments I wouldn't be so quick to speak to him next time. I'm sure everyone looks forward to your denials and weasle like comments in reply and how its all about YOU having the right to an opinion!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Im not as anonymous as you and I write what I write knowing that it is not difficult for anyone to find out who I am.
I do so in the hope that the nepotism, self promotion and self fulfilling prophesying might end. It does me no good to expose it since as you correctly point out "Its not hard to work out who you are".
I can't help it if people from Knox or Gordon tell me things: most of them know my role on here.
I have never spoken to the boy his father or any other member of his family.
I am not aware that any of my children are friends with him, but I may be wrong.
"sides up to them in public because their sons are friends" - very cryptic: as I say I have never spoken to any member of that family and, as far as I can recall, they have never spoken to me.
I am not at all close to the family, I do not even know them.
I am able to read, however, and that is not a bad way of becoming "Informed" - perhaps you should try it - start with google.
Nothismum seems to be have been able to perceive the problem which you may not have noticed I described as hypothetical simply because I did not have any information about the relative merits of the candidates for 13.
Funny thing is that the other boy mentioned from the same school (this year, at least) who does actually play 13 would also have been "a standout".
Finally, I have never spoken to his father and, since i am not a selector or coach anymore, I doubt he will speak to me in the future, in any event - perhaps you have me confused with someone else, and I think I know who.

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
Im not as anonymous as you and I write what I write knowing that it is not difficult for anyone to find out who I am.
I do so in the hope that the nepotism, self promotion and self fulfilling prophesying might end. It does me no good to expose it since as you correctly point out "Its not hard to work out who you are".
I can't help it if people from Knox or Gordon tell me things: most of them know my role on here.
I have never spoken to the boy his father or any other member of his family.
I am not aware that any of my children are friends with him, but I may be wrong.
"sides up to them in public because their sons are friends" - very cryptic: as I say I have never spoken to any member of that family and, as far as I can recall, they have never spoken to me.
I am not at all close to the family, I do not even know them.
I am able to read, however, and that is not a bad way of becoming "Informed" - perhaps you should try it - start with google.
Nothismum seems to be have been able to perceive the problem which you may not have noticed I described as hypothetical simply because I did not have any information about the relative merits of the candidates for 13.
Funny thing is that the other boy mentioned from the same school (this year, at least) who does actually play 13 would also have been "a standout".
Finally, I have never spoken to his father and, since i am not a selector or coach anymore, I doubt he will speak to me in the future, in any event - perhaps you have me confused with someone else, and I hink I know who.

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
Then if he got it wrong I will let him know. You are obviously then just a "neville" working in the shadows. There is an old saying, if you don't have anyting constructive to say, shut the f*&^ck up!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Then if he got it wrong I will let him know. You are obviously then just a "neville" working in the shadows. There is an old saying, if you don't have anyting constructive to say, shut the f*&^ck up!

yep, thats me, lurking in the shadows hoping for a smooth ride

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
The NSW U16 team selections weren't hopeless. The team did very well. My point was that life isn't always fair especially when it comes to rep teams

No it isn't fair but it would be great if there was some transparency or some feedback given to the boys. I'll give one example of transparency and it relates to selection in the old Junior Gold program 14 to 15 year olds, my son wasn't selected, he was playing A grade at the time and a number of boys selected were playing C and D grade, so I thought I would ask a few questions. FYI my son only plays in the SJRU competition. This is my shortened conversation with the ARU around selection:
Me: how do you select?
ARU: We have scouts and our people saw everyone at the State champs in Orange.
Me: what were their thoughts on my son?
ARU: Did he play in orange?
Me: you tell me
ARU: Did he play in Orange?
Me: yes he did but why don't you know that? I hear you have a list of players who have marks against their names being, In, to be looked at and don't look at.
ARU: How do you know that?
Me: That doesn't matter. What was my son marked?
ARU: (after much discussion) Don't look at.
Me: Based on what?
ARU: What the scouts have seen.
ME: how many SJRU games did your scouts watch this year?
ARU: (after much discussion) Not many.
Me: How many is not many?
ARU: (after much discussion) Well I'd say none.
Me: So how does my son get seen?
ARU: (after much debate and colourful discussion) He doesn't I guess, I'll change his status to "to be looked at" and we'll see how he goes.

Things improved from there for my son, he also put in a lot of hard work which also helps.

Wouldn't it be nice to get something from the selectors after next weeks JGC trials, if they are looking at skills and 7's and all the boys have numbers wouldn't it be easy to send the boys the scores they received in the skill portion, it might highlight things they need to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.