• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Invitational U16 Tournament 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAME_DAY

Frank Row (1)
Tyrone plays (13)
And Your saying Tyrone should have been selected over Armstrong, Veitch, Hopoate who have all played outside centre for there school's 1st XV at one stage.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The NSW U16 team selections weren't hopeless. The team did very well. My point was that life isn't always fair especially when it comes to rep teams

That doesn't mean that you should allow a process that can only ever give the appearance of unfairness.
I notice that whereas you defended the ring in at 12 on the basis that he played well you have not done so with the 10.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Tyrone plays (13)
And Your saying Tyrone should have been selected over Armstrong, Veitch, Hopoate who have all played outside centre for there school's 1st XV at one stage.

No, but he did end up playing for the NSW 16s (not schools) though as has been stated on this thread as well as NSW 15s. I reckon he could give it a go playing 10 for sure. He is a not a forward.

Tell me about some other boys that play No.10 in their school teams that are actually 16. How did a Yr 9 U15 end up being selected? Dad?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, but he did end up playing for the NSW 16s (not schools) though as has been stated on this thread as well as NSW 15s. I reckon he could give it a go playing 10 for sure. He is a not a forward.

Tell me about some other boys that play No.10 in their school teams that are actually 16. How did a Yr 9 U15 end up being selected? Dad?

It happens - but he should earn it by playing with and against kids of that age.
Last year Lough and Goddard both did it.
But to do it they both played in the selection trials at Knox in the June school holidays.
There's another issue: it was 4 months between selection and game - whats that about?

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Sad that no one has stood up to congratulate whichever person was responsible for getting the trash heap XV a gig in the tournament, or who maybe owned the idea. I expect that the motivation may have been motivated by "revenge", but none the less, the outcomes might stand as a reminder to what is trying to be achieved.

Actually I outed the gentleman in question shortly after the announcement of the establishment of the rejected Rams and endorse what Azzuri said about him.

It was Geoff Ferris.

Too summarize his comments after the comp 'it was not about winning the tournament, it was about demonstrating that the boys could compete at the higher level'.

They certainly did that, Geoff and the coaching staff did a fine job and deserve to be recognised.

Bill McLean (32)
HJ,
I knew all of that - having learnt at your feet.
The thing is the CCC, AICES, CHS, AIS (to a lesser degree) kids are just assumed to be not as good as a fullback who never played against them.
And then the CAS 10 gets shafted for a kid he didn't play against.

@IS makes a fair point.

Without naming names or the year it happened (let's just say it was while ago) there was a lad who could never get selected for SJRU teams. In fairness to the SJRU selectors at the time the lad was never going to be seen because he 'rode the pine' at the various Regionals, notwithstanding the fact he was one of the better players in that team. The Regional coach during that time was also a club coach for the same age group and seemed to favour his players. This for mine was a conflict of interest that the SJRU should have addressed at the time!

Admittedly there was a commonly shared view among this lad's village club that the Regional coach didn't like the lad's team because most of the boys (including this boy) also played league.

During one year the subject of my story also decided to pursue the schools route as far as selection was concerned. However as fate would have it, during the same year the lad was also recongnised by an NRL club and went on to higher honours in terms of representative selection in the dark code that year. Nevertheless the lad still wanted to pursue rugby as well.

At the schools trials this lad played for one of the much weaker associations, but it happened to be the case that a certain ARU Development official recognised him and asked the selectors to pay particular attention to him. They did and the lad later found himself selected in one of the NSWSRU teams. He was ecstatic as he had finally been recognised!

As fate would again have it he was chosen for more higher honours that year in the dark code (but this time through the schools system). Unfortunately there was going to be a conflict and a choice had to made between 'Union' or 'League'.

When the lad looked at the who was with him in the NSWSRU team he noticed that there was a certain combination that were from one of the stronger school associations. Furthermore, the NSWSRU coach that year also happened to be this combination's school coach. Beside this fact, this combination was made up of extremely talented boys!

Ultimately it was the lad's view that even though he was selected in the NSWSRU team it was likely that he was going to be relegated to 'riding the pine' once again! Moreover, and for the sake of clarity, let it be said that this lad never got oppose his 'perceived' favourites at these particular schools trials.

Conversely, the lad was later selected in the starting team for the NSW schools league team and he took the 'bird in the hand'! When he decided to pursue the league option. I know some may say that the lad was probably always going to go to league, however I can assure my fellow posters that this was not the case at the time! It came later.

The point I am essentially trying to make is simliar to that being put forward by IS. The abovementioned lad (and those close to him) knew that the lad was never going to be given an opportunity able to prove he was better (if in fact he was indeed better to begin with). It was assumed that the other boys were going to be considered better!

For mine we should adopt an approach similar to that of the NSWRU U/20 selection trials this year. Throw all the boys into a series of possible and possibles trials and pick the teams from here! At least give those who are considered to be 'good enough' a chance to play against players who are considered to be 'the best'!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For mine we should adopt an approach similar to that of the NSWRU U/20 selection trials this year. Throw all the boys into a series of possible and possibles trials and pick the teams from here! At least give those who are considered to be 'good enough' a chance to play against players who are considered to be 'the best'!

isn't that what all the fluffing around in june is supposed to be?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A new entrant to the Under 15/16 selection bun fight this season, to further complicate matters and introduce a whole heap of new vested interests and bias to the process is the JGC.

We now have School Association interest groups, and Individual School interest groups in the NSW Schools Corner.
Representing SJRU we have Interest Groups representing Club (not all that influential), District (influential) Zones (seems that they didn't quite do away with these when they reorganised back in 2010) and the SJRU itself (fighting a battle for its own existence as numbers continue to dwindle in the older age groups).
Representing NSW Country are the Zones (Same as city districts and influential), clubs (little influence) and Country Juniors itself (never underestimate the power of the Lord protecting their castle).

ARU were previously only a bit player, however with a gazillion assistant coaches and coaches now associated with JGC, the entry of them and their 3 gazillion minions, most of whom are keen to prove their worth to their Master, has made the Annual General Meeting of Junior Rugby Self Interest Groups party rather packed and probably more confusing than ever.

Just when we needed less clipboards, we have more: lots more and they are all out to justify their own existence and value.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

The June Fluffing around is only for the SJRU Special Interest Group.

There is then the July Fluffing around for the NSWSRU Special Interest Group.

80% of the Gene Pool attend both fluffing around sessions. This % figure is getting smaller now that the Grandfather rort has been discontinued for the NSW JRU State Champs, and there is no National U16 tournament gig.

Then there is more fluffing around by the grown ups as they both fight over the same group of talented boys to try and prove that their Special Interest Group is better than the other one.

Bill McLean (32)

Supposedly!

Admittedly, as we all know, the system is somewhat flawed!

It is my understanding (and I will defer to more knowledgeable others here) that the NSWRU U20 process conducted this year was unique insofar that in addition to the normal selection process, Michael Cheika also sent out a blanket invite to all club coaches to put forward names of players who (they the club coaches) thought were worthy enough of a trial!

At school (and to that regard the regional and state champs) you have decent players in weak teams and they don't get to showcase their talents (i.e 'how can one soar like an eagle when one is surrounded by turkeys?'). To my understanding the U20 trials obviated this flaw as individuals were in teams of equally talented players!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
OK Guilty as charged.

The NSW Schools U16 Champs (recently hosted at Knox) are usually in July (or at least very late June) aren't they? That is the reference I was making.
No reference to any unofficial fluffing, at least none involving boys playing footy. Probably plenty of unofficial fluffing not involving boys playing footy behind the scenes from May onwards each year.

Does your reference to June fluffing cover all of the following: NSW JRU Jnr State Champs, SJRU Regional Tournament, School Association Trials, and the NSW SRU U16 Championships?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Congratulations on your use of the word "fluffing" to cover the Annual General Meeting of the NSW Chapter of the U16 Junior Rugby Self Interest Groups Association of Australia.

It just seems to be a really apt word to cover it all.

Bill McLean (32)
A new entrant to the Under 15/16 selection bun fight this season, to further complicate matters and ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Just when we needed less clipboards, we have more: lots more and they are all out to justify their own existence and value.

Sounds like a great version of MKR or MasterChef! What was that old saying about "too many cooks?"

Bill McLean (32)
Congratulations on your use of the word "fluffing" to cover the Annual General Meeting of the NSW Chapter of the U16 Junior Rugby Self Interest Groups Association of Australia.

It just seems to be a really apt word to cover it all.

I was going to proffer the word "CLUSTER-£@%#" but you and LG would have cause to chastise me, and besides I have an 'angelic persona' to maitain!

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)

The GPS 16's 10 who played First XV at 12 all year at Grammar (Alec Sheldon) and also made GPS White Opens and played very well at Turramurra would have been the logical choice ahead of the 15A Joeys 10 who was not nominated by Joeys to attend the GPS 16's trials.

It seems incredulous that the 15 year old who was also a reserve for Sydney 15's somehow jumps all the 16's who played at Turramurra. After watching him play it was no clearer to me.

There are precedents for U15's making the U16's such as Hutchinson, McGregor, Goddard and Lough but they all played the 16's schools comp at Turramurra and all 4 should end up being Aussie schoolboys. Surely a prerequisite for an underage player is to actually prove their worth at the carnival rather than be parachuted in unproven in the Age Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.