• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Invitational U16 Tournament 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the biggest gripe selection wise occurs at a level lower than that of Barkell et al.

From State Champs, the Cattle are "selected" into 3 Zones and a Barbarian side.

There are always allegations of certain kids being selected into certain sides to enhance their chances of selection at the next level (SJRU).

There are then allegations that SJRU Regional coaches play kids out of position, or not play them in certain games that would present them in a good light, or conversely plays them out of position and up against the best kid in the league in a poor team.

Aggrieved parties will generally find a Tin Foil Hat that fits. Sometimes there is substance. Sometimes not.

Bill McLean (32)
If there is one thing I can share with all my friends on this site it would be this:

"GENUINE TALENT CAN ONLY STAY HIDDEN FOR SO LONG!"

There is a lad (whose name I will reveal below) I have been watching on and off for about 5-6 years. I didn't actively go out and watch him play, I merely went and watched him play if he was at the ground I was also attending.

For mine this lad really stood out; in every game I watched him play he did what was expected of him and he did it well. Yet he was never selected in any SJRU teams or above even though it was warranted - emphatically so!

On one particular occasion I made it a point of going up to his coach to make enquiries and to extend my thoughts! To my utter disbelief I was informed that this lad was playing above his age group and had always done so! Nevertheless the lad fell off my radar and I thought no more of him.

Anyway, several months ago I was perusing the U/20 Waratahs team that was selected for national championship and there was the lad's name:

FOLAU FAINGA'A - SYDNEY UNI

I was delighted to see it! Better still the lad had made the team as an U/19 and from all accounts he had a great tournament for the time he got off the reserves bench (as a hooker).

Young Fainga'a is now on the NSWRU radar and I am expecting (forby injury) that he will be there in 2015 and that he goes one step further and makes the Oz U/20's for 2015.

So take heart those who were overlooked at the U/16 level - for among you there will be a Folau Fainga'a!

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
So the end result was:

NSW Schools squad that played...

NSW Schools 2014.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Its U16s where the proverbial has hit the proverbial and slugga will tell you it was no better last year when they were in 15's. I suspect he's right from what I have been told.
Barkell is a good coach and wrote a paper which is HJ's favourite bed time reading.
In 16s the anointed ones were Northern Zone. They either won no games or 1 game at the regionals, losing to the Barbarians who included numerous of their rejects. Nonetheless they fared pretty well in the Sydney selections - no doubt based on the fact that they were incumbents having been favoured last year, in arguably similar circumstances. Something like a self fulfilling prophecy.
Slugga's case is that Western Zone deserved a much greater representation than they got when Sydney was picked and he had a fair case for that at the time and now has an unanswerable one I would have thought (though I wouldn't be so quick to the blame the coaching given the selecting may not have given them the best material to work with).
Someone should ask the schools coach how #10 went at the U16s championships/trials and who he played for and since he was not nominated by his school how he knew anything about him, let alone that he was a patch on Dainton (23).
And who the #12 played for in that comp and what position he plays for his school and whether his father has a development job in rugby and how come the 12 from his school who was in the Presidents XV A did not get a look in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is also not a great correlation between SJRU and NSW JRU U15's, and the NSW U18 Schoolboys teams selected from that cohort three years later.

in and away

Bob McCowan (2)
We'll while every coach, trainer and selector comes from the private system I can't see much changing regarding oz schools selection

Bill McLean (32)
I noticed a James Basha in the NSWSRU team. Does anyone know if he is the son or nephew of David Basha (ex-NSWRU U/21 and West Harbour hooker)?

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Someone should ask the schools coach how #10 went at the U16s championships/trials and who he played for and since he was not nominated by his school how he knew anything about him, let alone that he was a patch on Dainton (23).
And who the #12 played for in that comp and what position he plays for his school and whether his father has a development job in rugby and how come the 12 from his school who was in the Presidents XV A did not get a look in.

All sounds interesting, I'd like to know more. Surely you're not suggesting nepotism?

By the way does anyone know much about the the Sydney u15's centre who played in the 16's in the NSW game. I didn't see much of him but what I did see I was impressed. Big, fast, skillful and looks twenty something.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I noticed a James Basha in the NSWSRU team. Does anyone know if he is the son or nephew of David Basha (ex-NSWRU U/21 and West Harbour hooker)?

he's not the son
We'll while every coach, trainer and selector comes from the private system I can't see much changing regarding oz schools selection
thats part of the plan: if theres no rugby to be played in public schools there can't be selection controversies

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
Its U16s where the proverbial has hit the proverbial and slugga will tell you it was no better last year when they were in 15's. I suspect he's right from what I have been told.
Barkell is a good coach and wrote a paper which is HJ's favourite bed time reading.
In 16s the anointed ones were Northern Zone. They either won no games or 1 game at the regionals, losing to the Barbarians who included numerous of their rejects. Nonetheless they fared pretty well in the Sydney selections - no doubt based on the fact that they were incumbents having been favoured last year, in arguably similar circumstances. Something like a self fulfilling prophecy.
Slugga's case is that Western Zone deserved a much greater representation than they got when Sydney was picked and he had a fair case for that at the time and now has an unanswerable one I would have thought (though I wouldn't be so quick to the blame the coaching given the selecting may not have given them the best material to work with).

Bailey Simmonsen played the second half of the season in the Newington firsts. He had a groin injury so didn't trial but was called up last week after lots of injuries. He was one of the best players in the schools team regardless of who his dad is. Have a look at the try he scored yesterday against Sydney. A real talent

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
All sounds interesting, I'd like to know more. Surely you're not suggesting nepotism?

By the way does anyone know much about the the Sydney u15's centre who played in the 16's in the NSW game. I didn't see much of him but what I did see I was impressed. Big, fast, skillful and looks twenty something.

Tyrone Taukomo from Newington. He played in the NSW u15 the day before

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Tyrone Taukamo. From Randwick & on scholarship at Newington. Has been a dominant centre for a number of years & yes very fast & strong. can switch off if things aren't going his teams way but many players guilty of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Sad that no one has stood up to congratulate whichever person was responsible for getting the trash heap XV a gig in the tournament, or who maybe owned the idea. I expect that the motivation may have been motivated by "revenge", but none the less, the outcomes might stand as a reminder to what is trying to be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.