• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hang 5

individually those players were fantastic, i viewed sunday mornings games and thought they were superb and were part of a lacking team. a reminder that again AN INDIVIDUAL position is based upon INDIVIDUAL performances, isn't it?

and i add those wests players have a lot of previous rep honours under their belt,
Moala- CAS Opens representative team
Orr- CAS Opens representative team and NSWJRU last year
Taweel- Western Zone and ISA shadow squad
La'agaia- Junior Gold Squad.
Coffill- SJRU last year
If they were all that good when you watched on Sunday morning and with that many players playing so well you would think the team would perform, but with the results on the board,they didn't.
You don't pick a side on reputation, if you don't perform at the Championships you miss out and better luck at the next opportunity.
Reward those who play and perform as individuals and as a team.
Man up.;)

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
No reputation involved whatsoever, past achievement and present performance combined.
Just wait and see what the teams, when announced present, a red face you will have Hang 5. ;)

May i also include that looking back at last years program, yes i keep the programs LOL,
only 8 out of the 25 players in the listed team, who played this state champs (2012), played in the state championships for wests last year (2011). Relatively new team if you ask me!!

Bill McLean (32)
A few Warringah boys should get a look in they did make to the semi's, but give me a break with all the Wests players in your team.
They didn't look like chalking up a win all weekend.

Hang 5,

I hear what your saying, and if you feel there are few 'Rats' worthy of selection put there names forward and who they would displace.

With respect to your comments about too many Wests players being nominated by others I would only state that such players actually have the runs on the board as individuals (i.e. have achieved higher representative honours) and didn't play badly in a losing team.

For example you have Cam Orr (ARU/NGS, 2011 U/16 SJRU and CAS, and 2012 CAS Opens representative), Ola Moala (ARU/NGS and CAS Opens representative), Elisaia Lagaiaa (ARU/NGS and 2011 CHS representative). These are just to name a few!

As I said before please put forward your names and why!

R

Rugby Rugby

The u17 competition seemed quite confusing to me. None of the teams with a bye made the semis!! I am not sure if manly or syd uni even won a game. How can you have a combined Norths/Souths team...
Also from the games I saw - the defence of the Parra inside backs was smart and tough. Parra have the best goal kicker. The 15 for Eastwood played a lone hand in the back line.The edge attack - wing/fullback attack - from Randwick and Parra showed great speed and skill, I know a lot of this depends on the inside players but these boys had some zip. Parra line out needs work.
The Norths/Souths pack and scrum were strong, they had every opposition team going backwards. Norths/Souths held both Eastwood and Syd Uni to nil. Syd Uni played quality footy for long periods then totally drifted off, coach killers. Warringah is a good team as well. But watch the central coast boys - they held Parra to a draw 13-13 I think.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
i'll take a stab,

1. Maile- Syd Uni/Winterburn- Norths
2. Coffill- West Harb
3. Fiala-Motu- Randwick
4. Taylor- Parramatta
5. Matairavula- Parramatta- Not an 8, strong runner and light as a feather these days
6. Orr- West Harb
7. Taweel- West Harb/ Morris- Norths
8. Moala- West Harb
9. Whicker- Parramatta/ Acreman - Cent Coast
10. Angeloni- Parramatta/ O'donnell- Randwick
11. Suamili- West Harb/ Tohi- Parramatta
12. Kagiassis- Syd Uni
13. Winterstein- parramatta
14. Polgoa- Norths
15. Cotton- Eastwood

Other possibles:
Koutsoukis- Randwick, Maa- Parramatta, Laga'aia- West Harb, Skelton- Syd Uni, Anderson- Eastwood.

**Did not see any Warringah games so pardon for any possible omissions.

Laga'aia- West Harb - my snout says he's a probable not a possible

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Final results from all grades are on Sydney Juniors Web site.

For those interested, the zone rep squads are also up for 16's and southern Zone 15's.

Selectors alleged bias should be discussed in the "biased selectors" thread, not here.

Good effort by the Brumbies, with the gauntlet well and truly thrown down for the Metropolitan districts to rise to the challenge in the younger age divisions next year:
The 2012 NSWJRU State Championship Final Results
Under 11 Manly 14 v Gordon 7
Under 12 ACT 14 v Gordon 10
Under 13 ACT 32 v Randwick 5
Under 14 ACT 8 v Gordon 5
Under 15 Warringah 19 v Gordon 8
Under 16 Gordon 8 v Norths 5
Under 17 Parramatta 22 v Randwick 5

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
i'll take a stab,

1. Maile- Syd Uni/Winterburn- Norths
2. Coffill- West Harb
3. Fiala-Motu- Randwick
4. Taylor- Parramatta
5. Matairavula- Parramatta- Not an 8, strong runner and light as a feather these days
6. Orr- West Harb
7. Taweel- West Harb/ Morris- Norths
8. Moala- West Harb
9. Whicker- Parramatta/ Acreman - Cent Coast
10. Angeloni- Parramatta/ O'donnell- Randwick
11. Suamili- West Harb/ Tohi- Parramatta
12. Kagiassis- Syd Uni
13. Winterstein- parramatta
14. Polgoa- Norths
15. Cotton- Eastwood

Other possibles:
Koutsoukis- Randwick, Maa- Parramatta, Laga'aia- West Harb, Skelton- Syd Uni, Anderson- Eastwood.

**Did not see any Warringah games so pardon for any possible omissions.

...and also Hang 5's comment #100:

Well-picked (and ** 'd) Fairpoint. I figure that you've actually spotted some 10 or so from the SJRU U16 team from last year: non-participants, injured and GPS excludees would be the difference there.

Yes to both posts about Warringah, particularly a couple of the backs - although I didn't catch the individuals. Wests had a powerful forwards pack but that was about where they stopped. Those that Fairpoint noted couldn't win the games for Wests in the absence of significant contribution by the backs - although Wests got closer to Parramatta on Saturday than Randwick did yesterday.

Had J Clark been at 10 for Wests as per programme, their performance would likely have been far better - but then we'd be debating Cale/Clark for 10 in the SJRU side.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And like a broken record, back to my favourite topic....

There seemed to be plenty of the Schoolboy stars from GPS and the like playing U16 level State Champs over the weekend. The same could not be said for the Under 17's based on what is posted earlier in this thread, and from what I saw of the games, the latter grade games (u17) seemed to be played at a pace and intensity lower than that of the better U16's teams like Gordon and Norths.

Now I don't want to get into a flame war about the relative differences between this years 16's and 17's, cause this is something I have witnessed in other seasons as well. Is the U17 State Champs poorer because many of the Schools rockstars who do not play regular club rugby are not available for the 17's? The looks of joy on the faces of the U17 winning teams and supporters suggests otherwise.

Having said that the better U16 rep teams would perform well at U17 level, there was a fair bit of sideline mutter about the small number of players in some teams who are actually playing any Village club footy this year. Yes I know the rules allow it, but as said before I reckon it is morally wrong.

Bill McLean (32)
Alvarado (12) and Mitchell (13) for Randwick played really well together and defended like brick walls.

So it is Mitchell and not Bradbrook as stated in the program? You might have noticed that i too selected them in my team.

I came across Alvarado this year at the Bulldogs v Roosters SG Ball trial, but Joshua Mitchell I had not seen (nor heard of) until Saturday. A great player.

Do you know him? Surely he has a history or is he a late bloomer?

sprites

Bob McCowan (2)
...but Joshua Mitchell I had not seen (nor heard of) until Saturday. A great player.

Do you know him? Surely he has a history or is he a late bloomer?

I recall Joshua Mitchell playing for West Harbour as a reserve at last year's State Championships at Granville after being dropped from the Gordon side (which he apparently much rathered to be in with his friends from school). I believe he attends Newington College and plays in their 2nd XV if im not mistaken. Solid defender but lacks speed, agility and ball skills of a good #13.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
LT,

The coaches for all teams are up! Have been for a while!

Newbie - couldn't find it - post the link would you? Heard Pete Evans will take SJRU 17s and Jed Hogan & James barkell & Joel Rivers are in the mix as well - they were all fairly visible at St Lukes.

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
Sy lagaia and Peter Evans are the supposed coaches.

When will teams be updated on the SJRU website? Interested to see if a few boys will be omitted and included

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Newbie and Moth,

I couldn't find the coaches on the SJRU site but i found these names somewhere:
Syd 17s Peter Evans George Gargoulakis / Sy Lagaaia

Anyone know when they name the 17's?

Bill McLean (32)
Newbie - couldn't find it - post the link would you? Heard Pete Evans will take SJRU 17s and Jed Hogan & James barkell & Joel Rivers are in the mix as well - they were all fairly visible at St Lukes.

MOTH,

The SJRU website has removed it and replaced it with the teams that were announced today, however from what I remember the coaches are as follows:

U/16 SJRU Coach - Joel Rivers; Asst Coaches - Guy Millar / Barton Jones

U/17 SJRU Coach - Peter Evans; Asst Coaches - George Gargoulakis / Sy Laga'aia

From my understanding James Barkell has the gig for either the U/16 or 17 NSWJRU team.

Bill McLean (32)
I recall Joshua Mitchell ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Solid defender but lacks speed, agility and ball skills of a good #13.

He didn't lack those skills from what I seen on the weekend! He complimented Alvarado very well on the weekend (and vice versa)!

Status
Not open for further replies.