• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the basis of this assertion an extension of the "they haven't played the required 4 club games to qualify" argument, or that they may be folding as a team after the champs?

How many of the players in the Gordon team list have not played the required 4 club games to qualify?

NSWJRU and SJRU are usually pretty good at checking the submitted team lists for compliance. Opposing team managers are fairly on the ball and quick to draw Administrators attention to those players they believe may not have met the eligibility criteria.

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
T
Central Coast won the U'17s Country Championships beating the Hunter who had won the previous two years. They also had a great run in the JGC only losing to Victoria 24-7 and Sydney North Harbour 12-11. Over the weekend they have beaten Eastwood, Gordon and Warringah, all of whom have clearly been the strongest teams in this age group throughout the years.

Is this a result of a massive improvement of how Central Coast play or have the Sydney teams lost that many players that they are no longer playing to the high standard that I have seen in the past.
Top Cat
The 3 teams you mentioned are certainly not the same
Teams from previous years due to boys at private schools
However it's great that they each got a team together but
IMO the comp is nowhere near as strong in this age
group.
I hoping for an Eastwood win but I
think Warringah my come back and snatch it again.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
My usual snouts are drier than a dead dingos donger ATM.

Apparently there will be some modifications to tomorrows draw. Not sure what, or why.
U14s a cracker in Orange. It may only be 5c at kickoff time, but you'd be hard pressed noticing with cloudless skies and zero wind. ACT and Gordon look the teams to beat. They play respectively Norths and Illawarra in the semis tomorrow am. All 4 had strong wins in the QFs today, so hard to call. To win this thing though, catchment numbers count, and ACT and Gordon have the largest pools to call on. That may well tell tomorrow.

It's been wonderful for a number of the boys to have their first "on tour" experience with JSC in orange. A few of the dads have noted that with the local Shiraz being above par, it's tragic that the tour to Orange can't be an annual event.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Which bit in particular?

I think he meant this part in Post #414

Penrith low lite with several sent off and lots of cheap shots in multiple games. Toe to toe fight vs Warringah after a lot of foul play. Two of them sent off there and could have been more as five of them tried to incite Warringah to go again after teams had been separated.

BlueandRed

Frank Row (1)
Seriously, in under 13's. This is not a good look fir the game, and reflects poorly on good work others are doing to grow the game. Hopefully this will be addressed and fixed asap.
Unfortunately yes. Some of the Penrith players were not focused on playing the game and coaches and refs did not control them well that I could see.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Sadly Eastwood just didn't fire this weekend .. Patches of good play but far too many mistakes..after watching many of u16 matches these last two days my view is that Penrith are looking too strong

Eastwood did there best to loose every game Azurri, you cant drop the ball 3 or 4 times a game and expect to compete. Very disappointing.

I'll be backing Penrith to beat Gordon - but then who isn't?

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Eastwood did there best to loose every game Azurri, you cant drop the ball 3 or 4 times a game and expect to compete. Very disappointing.

I'll be backing Penrith to beat Gordon - but then who isn't?
They may not get the prize in the 16's but I will be backing Gordon. I have no vested interest in any team winning, but if you favour structured rugby over just general size mismatch, then it has to be Gordon or ACT. The interesting thing is that the removal of the grandfather clause and making it so hard for a number of the stronger players in the age group to be eligible, SJRU have simply turned the 16's into another 17's. An age group where the best players just aren't there anymore. Surely the point of rep rugby is to be show casing the best talent? That is now not the case. For those keen to bag the Gordon's etc, thank god they put a team in otherwise the tournament would have been a complete farce. I don't fancy the job of the selectors, especially the Sydney guys as they will lose even more in the NSW schools in the draft process. For the many that see this as a good thing, good luck down the track, you get what you wish for, and if that is a dumbed down rep program here it is. In the big picture if you want Australian rugby to flourish, you have to encourage the best players to stay in it. Making it too hard for these boys just sends them elsewhere, and certainly not down the club pathway.

In the lineout

Allen Oxlade (6)
They may not get the prize in the 16's but I will be backing Gordon. I have no vested interest in any team winning, but if you favour structured rugby over just general size mismatch, then it has to be Gordon or ACT. The interesting thing is that the removal of the grandfather clause and making it so hard for a number of the stronger players in the age group to be eligible, SJRU have simply turned the 16's into another 17's. An age group where the best players just aren't there anymore. Surely the point of rep rugby is to be show casing the best talent? That is now not the case. For those keen to bag the Gordon's etc, thank god they put a team in otherwise the tournament would have been a complete farce. I don't fancy the job of the selectors, especially the Sydney guys as they will lose even more in the NSW schools in the draft process. For the many that see this as a good thing, good luck down the track, you get what you wish for, and if that is a dumbed down rep program here it is. In the big picture if you want Australian rugby to flourish, you have to encourage the best players to stay in it. Making it too hard for these boys just sends them elsewhere, and certainly not down the club pathway.
Agree with you here Brainstrust. It was notable that this years program was not as high calibre to that of last years 15's. This just continues the argument that many people on here back, and that an overhaul of the system from 15/16's needs to be undertaken.

In the lineout

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is the basis of this assertion an extension of the "they haven't played the required 4 club games to qualify" argument, or that they may be folding as a team after the champs?

How many of the players in the Gordon team list have not played the required 4 club games to qualify?

NSWJRU and SJRU are usually pretty good at checking the submitted team lists for compliance. Opposing team managers are fairly on the ball and quick to draw Administrators attention to those players they believe may not have met the eligibility criteria.
They have played their four games and "qualified", what happened after those first four rounds is what i don't agree with. It will be interesting to see how the MNZ selectors look at this and the ongoing playing commitement to club rugby that they are looking for.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They have played their four games and "qualified", what happened after those first four rounds is what i don't agree with. It will be interesting to see how the MNZ selectors look at this and the ongoing playing commitement to club rugby that they are looking for.
They qualified at that's the end of that story.
What happens next is problematic.
To retain eligibility if selected you have to keep playing club.
Some of the clubs may not be able to field teams I suspect.
Kids with dual pathway options, assuming higher honours to be their goal, will have to choose and those that choose the schools pathway will have little reason to play club. For some clubs that will mean not being able to field a team.
Some may even be told to drop club, some have been told no club in 3rd term.
What has gone before is nothing to what may lie ahead.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
For a district with a strong heritige of representative players in the past, Warringah Juniors (other than the recent and now current U17 squad) seem to be struggling in most age groups. Are they losing out to league, not enough boys in the private system (ie not getting a higher calibre of rugby constantly)?

Thoughts anyone.

Yes, you're right, it's league. Up in that part of the Beaches league is incredibly popular and is the main code. Some AFL is played too.
There are some private school boys as well that live up there and they would play union for their school, but not club.

Later on as the boys get older Warringah does of course have the Rats starting at Colts but between about 13-17/18 league (and surfing) is the winner.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If clubs can't field teams because this is the end of club for some of their players how do their zone players retain eligibility?
Was this issue thought through? should they have gone with the season in 2 halves?

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Beautiful weather down at Drummoyne for the U15s the last two days.
Great venue too.

Semis tomorrow will be Norths, Randwick, Gordon and Hunter. In that order as a ranking.

Norths monstered poor Illawarra 83-0 in 45 minutes in the play-off. Illawarra a bit battered and bruised I am sure.
Very impressive as Norths lost a key player who decided to move on from club rugby.

I'm tipping North v Randwick final (same as last year) with Norths taking it home and deservedly. Randwick will put up a good fight.

Good luck to all the U15 teams in the semis tomorrow.

I just thought I would add:

- Parramatta had an excellent player, no.10 John. JGC player. He played himself in several positions as required, not a hog but that rare rugby brain which is unusual at 15.
I believe he plays league and sadly they will probably snap him up in the next couple of years. So hoping we don't lose him to league permanently as he is a rare true talent.

- Hunter were the surprise package. Good to have a country team in the semis. Played some smart rugby, opting to take a kick when awarded a penalty which in rare in this age group. Had some fast and opportunistic players.
Unfortunately I can see them monstered by Norths today but well done for getting that far Hunter.

- Gordon are always consistent and have some quality players, some from the JGC. No.6 Charlie always a quality player and was over the last two days. Gordon deservedly in the semis today with some great results from their games.

- Randwick no.22 Tyrone a very strong player with a rugby brain. Although heavy now and in fact many of the other boys in the 15s overall have caught up with him for size, speed and stamina he deserves his reputation.
Only thing is some ugly play from other Randwick players (not him) - dirty lifting tackles and a couple of yellows for that that should have been reds.
Leading up these JSC Coogee club have had to forfeit two of their club games due to red cards (and injuries) so I am seeing where this has come from. Randwick, you need to get your house in order and try and play smart rugby like Norths not ugly rugby, at this age.
Some Coogee players were in the Southern Districts team so I guess there is an A and a B team from that part of Sydney here at the JSC.

- Manly punched above their weight after their disappointing performance last year. Their forwards were strong and created opportunities but their backs let them down in defence. The backs had some pace in attack but defence was weak. They need to get that sorted to make the semis next year.

- Penrith well done boys for trying but in this age group Penrith do not have any A grade teams so will always struggle at this level.
However rugby is the always the winner at these JSC and the more teams present the better - long term rugby is a great way of keeping fit and spending time with your mates, whether you are 15 or 25, or 35.

- Warringah sadly don't have the depth in the juniors - league heartland up here on the Beaches.

I won't be there today at the semis series - I am taking my son for a surf.

Hopefully some else can report from the U15 JSC semis and GF.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
- Warringah sadly don't have the depth in the juniors - league heartland up here on the Beaches.

I won't be there today at the semis series - I am taking my son for a surf.
<snip>.

You, Sir, are part of the problem.:) Fancy encouraging the young folk to have interests beyond Rugby.

Long Reef ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2014 NSW JRU JSC Under 16 Results

Day 1
Gordon 17 ACT 10
Eastwood 14 Hunter 12
Parramatta 19 Norths 10
Illawarra 22 Central Coast 0
West Harbour 15 Randwick 7
Penrith 31 Warringah 21