• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
Congratulations to Joeys and Shore, well deserved.

Tuesday night it’s GPS v IGSA and CHS v CAS.

GPS v IGSA:

Firsts: GPS are in excellent form, by all accounts it was a big win v CAS. IGSA did well against CHS but not much chance in this.
GPS 90% / IGSA 10%

Seconds: GPS suffered a loss in a split decision whilst IGSA suffered a 3-0 loss.
GPS 80% / IGSA 20%

Thirds: Both teams won their matchups.
GPS 70% / IGSA 30%

CHS v CAS:

Firsts: CHS has way too much firepower down the bench, can rotate reserves in and would still win this comfortably.
CHS 95% / CAS 5%

Seconds: both first round winners and will be close. Both teams have strong speakers, CAS to win in a minor upset.
CAS 60% / CHS 40%

Thirds: Both teams lost first round but CAS had the tougher match so CAS in this one.
CAS 70% / CHS 30%

At this stage, GPS to win overall. Good luck to all debaters.

GAS

Bob McCowan (2)
On Wednesday night, GPS will battle against CHS and CAS will go against IGSA at James Ruse. Come show your support as the school debating season comes to a wrap!

GPS v CHS:

Firsts: This debate is crucial for determining the winner of the Reps season. GPS however, has a Joey's speaker who has just won the GPS premiership, so that may give them the edge against a VERY good CHS team led by the Australian Captain.

GPS 55% / CHS 45%

IGSA v CAS:
Firsts: This is expected to be a close debate as both teams will have lost to GPS and CHS. Although CAS has a state speaker, IGSA does not. However, the outcome will be very close.
CAS 51% / IGSA 49%

fact checker

Frank Nicholson (4)
On Wednesday night, GPS will battle against CHS and CAS will go against IGSA at James Ruse. Come show your support as the school debating season comes to a wrap!

GPS v CHS:

Firsts: This debate is crucial for determining the winner of the Reps season. GPS however, has a Joey's speaker who has just won the GPS premiership, so that may give them the edge against a VERY good CHS team led by the Australian Captain.

GPS 55% / CHS 45%

IGSA v CAS:
Firsts: This is expected to be a close debate as both teams will have lost to GPS and CHS. Although CAS has a state speaker, IGSA does not. However, the outcome will be very close.
CAS 51% / IGSA 49%
Agree with the closness of these match ups. I haven't heard much of the Joeys speaker - curious to know how he stacks up in comparison to both of the state speakers (obviously noting Shore has won the premiership - having beaten Joeys and only being been beaten by Scots) as well as the ISDA-winning Grammar speaker?

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)

GPS v CHS:

GPS 55% / CHS 45%

IGSA v CAS:
CAS 51% / IGSA 49%
Agree with this summary. GPS to beat CHS and given IGSA forced a split decision with CHS, they should beat CAS - a state speaker can only carry you so far.

BJones

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree with the closness of these match ups. I haven't heard much of the Joeys speaker - curious to know how he stacks up in comparison to both of the state speakers (obviously noting Shore has won the premiership - having beaten Joeys and only being been beaten by Scots) as well as the ISDA-winning Grammar speaker?
The joeys speaker was the best in that debate, closely followed by Grammar.

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
To round out the previews for Wednesday night for the seconds and thirds:

GPS v CHS
Seconds: I think CHS will be too strong, GPS team are weaker than they could be as without any Year 12 Grammar due to speaker cap.
CHS 70% / GPS 30%

Thirds: GPS easy in this one
GPS 90% / CHS 10%

CAS v IGSA
Seconds: should be an easy win for CAS. Given some of the seconds team should be in the firsts, makes it a lopsided matchup.
CAS 95% / IGSA 5%.

Thirds: I think CAS given they have a strong Barker speaker captaining the team.
CAS 80% / IGSA 20%

lesdebats

Bob McCowan (2)
GPS defeat IGSA 2-1 in firsts in a close and thrilling debate. Very impressive from the IGSA side for forcing a split against a very strong lineup. Hope they can finish the season well tomorrow. Lots of respect for the skill and energy of this team.

fact checker

Frank Nicholson (4)
GPS defeat IGSA 2-1 in firsts in a close and thrilling debate. Very impressive from the IGSA side for forcing a split against a very strong lineup. Hope they can finish the season well tomorrow. Lots of respect for the skill and energy of this team.
What was the team line ups?

DanSeeto88

Frank Row (1)
CHS defeated CAS in a split decision. From all accounts so far, THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE ROBBERY. I find it hard to believe that in such a high level debate, these kind of decisions can be given. I’m convinced some certain panel members had a personal vendetta against 3rd speaker CAS, state representative Iris. But nevertheless an inspirational effort by CAS (Barker) to challenge the star-studded CHS team. Must be heartbreaking to have two narrow losses to GPS and CHS now. 2nd speaker Jeremy can be very proud of his efforts as he once again proved that he is of state or even national team calibre.

But open to hear everyone else’s thoughts…

Any ideas on the 2nds and 3rds results?

From CAS vs CHS:

1sts: CHS defeated CAS in a 2-1 split (I don't think this was a robbery given Brenden Chen and Kat Kuo were on the panel, wouldn't be surprised if DanSeeto88 is a Barker diehard/speaker)

2nds: CHS defeated CAS in a unanimous decision (minor upset in my opinion)

3rds: CAS defeated CHS with one adjudicator

That means standing wise, CHS are on 10/12, CAS on 3/12, GPS on 7/9, IGSA on 1/9 (awaiting results from GPS vs IGSA 2nds and 3rds). Regardless, it seems reps comes down to CHS vs GPS tomorrow.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
CHS defeated CAS in a split decision. From all accounts so far, THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE ROBBERY. I find it hard to believe that in such a high level debate, these kind of decisions can be given. I’m convinced some certain panel members had a personal vendetta against 3rd speaker CAS, state representative Iris. But nevertheless an inspirational effort by CAS (Barker) to challenge the star-studded CHS team. Must be heartbreaking to have two narrow losses to GPS and CHS now. 2nd speaker Jeremy can be very proud of his efforts as he once again proved that he is of state or even national team calibre.

But open to hear everyone else’s thoughts…
Who cares , it's the CAS.

Gears

Frank Row (1)
As told to me by a Ruse old boy.
‘For some kids, they finally get to make it to James Ruse tomorrow night after years of trying.’

GAS

Bob McCowan (2)
GPS beat CHS on a 2-1 split. 3N and 3A were the standouts of that debate, and both were incredibly exceptional.