• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
We’ve got 3 Octos this Friday, each with a relatively clear favourite in my mind.

St Aloysius v PLC Sydney

I know relatively little about PLC, but as I said earlier, I think Aloys are the strongest team in the competition, and based on PLC’s 3 win in rounds, Aloys should progress without much potential for an upset.

Aloysius

Riverview v St Andrews

I don’t think Riverview are as strong as this forum seems to believe, but should nonetheless be able to defeat St Andrews. 4 wins is a good showing from them, however it did come in a relatively easy pool and I haven’t heard anything suggesting they’ve been massively outperforming expectations, so at the risk of under rating St Andrews, I’m tipping Riverview. If there’s to be an upset though, this is where I’m tipping it to be.

Riverview (with the potential for an upset)

Shore v Kincoppal

Despite finishing only one win apart, Shore should come into this as favourites. Kincoppal finishing with 0 net margin points while Shore finished with 9, coupled with Shores fast start and their historical superiority as a program means I’m tipping Shore. Kwok being in the 2nds does hurt them, however this Shore Year 12 cohort is also strong. Having seen their 2nd grade team last year I have faith in the Senior A’s this year even without him.

Shore

InterestedBystander

Frank Nicholson (4)
For the Motion Fairness Detector: Friday’s makeup round affirmative-biased motion: “that all sporting leagues with male and female teams pay their players equally regardless of gender”.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi all.

The first thing is good luck to the 62 teams this week!

The second thing is going forward with the unofficial tab for the purposes of the motion fairness detector (Senior A and B only, feel free to create extra ones) could you please put an (A) next to the teams that are affirmative and an (N) next to negative teams? This is because the side of the debate is decided by a coin toss. You can now edit cells B9 and C9 if anyone would like to go through the make up round manually and enter results.

Thirdly, since we now have an official tab use that for all official purposes but remember to fill in the 'Unofficial ISDA table' for more speedy results. The official one can be found here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...BcsUOoxP_ntyDtpSciSzLUSHA/edit#gid=1619827533

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
With the finals draw now released, I’m tipping an Aloys v Scots final, with Aloys to take the chocolates.

From what I’ve observed and heard, this year group is significantly weaker than last year, however these two teams appear to be the strongest analytically.

I think Aloys superior strength across the bench will give them the leg up in the final.
What are your thoughts on Grammar this year compared to Aloys and Scots ? Have you seen these teams debate ?

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
What are your thoughts on Grammar this year compared to Aloys and Scots ? Have you seen these teams debate ?
I think Aloys and Scots are both stronger than Grammar this year. Scots less so than Aloys though, so greater chance of Grammar being able to take them in a Semi Final.

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
We also have 4 Senior B debates this Friday.

Kambala v Redlands

The undefeated Kambala team with +23 margins are heavy favourites over the 4 win redlands team with +3.

Kambala

Wenona v Barker

Barker topping their pool are again strong favourites. I have also heard good things about this Barker 2nds team.

Barker

Sydney Grammar v Monte

This Sydney Grammar 2nds team should be title contenders. The strength of the current Year 11 cohort (I believe going undefeated through years 9 and 10) now residing mostly in the 2nds, combined with the presence of returning state squad member Jason Lin means they’ll more than likely be around come the pointy end of the season. I’m tipping them pretty handily this Friday.

Grammar

Scots v Shore

Despite coming in as the lower ranked team, Shore’s 2nds containing a state team member means I’m tipping them to progress.

Shore

B

BobJones

With the finals draw now released, I’m tipping an Aloys v Scots final, with Aloys to take the chocolates.

From what I’ve observed and heard, this year group is significantly weaker than last year, however these two teams appear to be the strongest analytically.

I think Aloys superior strength across the bench will give them the leg up in the final.
No state speaker in Semis against Grammar could be a challenge.

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
It’s looking like the CAS rep team might be the team to beat given some of the comments about Aloys and Barker strength.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Hey Debaters,
Have received a few contacts regarding this thread, from what I can see it's pretty decent and provides a good discussion of the debates.
Please do your bit to keep the debate civil - report any posts to moderators which are disrespectful to schoolboys.
If you'd like a moderator in here feel free to nominate someone who is active in the thread.
Cheers,
Moses (mostly absent site admin)

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Few of us are wondering just how good this joeys team is. Some say they will win isda and gps and some say they’re not as good as last year. With View winning, they have the biggest mountain to climb - Queenwood then Riverview then St Aloysius (assuming they aren’t already eliminated by PLC). Then they face Grammar. Win ISDA and they might just be the goat that has ever set foot at hunters hill. I think it’s highly unlikely.