• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools -Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I find it very, very hard to believe Tom Connor and Boyd Killingworth are in NSW 2nds. Gordon Broome is a superb player but I had Tom Connor in my books as getting the 7 jersey. It'd be interesting though to see which team Stuart Goodman is selected in. With Connor in 2nds, I think Goodman might have pipped him to a spot in NSW 1sts. If this is the case, I have no problem with Goodman there. He is a class player. On Killingworth, if there is a better 6 than him in NSW schoolboy rugby, I haven't seen him yet because I though Killingworth was a sure thing for that 6 jersey in NSW 1sts. Good to see Guy Millar in 1sts though. He is a class act.

I don't find it hard to believe at all and I wouldn't be surprised if Goodman did not make either team. He is one dimensional - a bit of crash and bash. No finesse. Connor and Killingworth are very good players but I think the largely gps contingent (or at least that part that cannot see there is a bigger world out there) were wrapped up in their own hype. Any way they still have a chance to shine.

N

Nanai

Based on what has been said I think the selections are...

1s: 6. Goodman, 7. Broome
2s: 6. Killingworth, 7. Connor

Goodman is not a 7, so if he's been selected as a 6 I'd say that was prudent. Not bad selections at all. Based on what has been telegraphed above, I wouldn't be surprised at all if NSW IIs do better than NSW 1s this year. Asipeli Fine is an odd selection at the expense of the likes of Ingate and Hingano.

P

PTB

I thought 1. Lolohea (CHS) lost ground against 1. Gillespie (GPS), who played well, though to be fair Lolohea had to switch to THP for most of the game. Maybe I will have to eat humble pie and tell PTB he was right.

I told you. Mate i have had the experience playing with these two layers and some of the others. Im sorry to say i told you so,and i was not for one bit uncertain that gillespie would out scrum, out play, and out everything Lolohea all over the park. I have seen to much of these two players to not go with Gillespie.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
NSW firsts

Best guess for firsts
1. Mokofisi (ISA)
2. Roach (GPS)
3. Millar (GPS)
4. Dombkins (ISA)
5. Cummins (CHS)
6. Broome (CHS)
7. Goodman (CAS)
8. Holloway (CAS)
9. Wessels (CHS)
10. Brisby (ISA)
11. Smith (ISA)
12. Purcell (ISA)
13. Hingano (ISA)
14. Hulme (GPS)
15. Muller (Country)

Count = ISA 6, CAS 2, CHS 3, GPS 3, Country 1

Reserves in no particular order
16. Wallace (CAS)
17. Alexander (CAS)
18. Ala'alatoa (GPS)
19. Havea (CHS)
20. Dargaville (CCC)
21. Black (ISA)
22. Keary (ISA)
23. Fine (CAS)

Count = ISA 2, CAS 3, GPS 1, CHS 1, CCC 1

I'm guessing the boys from GPS will not be happy

C

catchpole

Ghost who walks,

I would be very interested the hear what the District Commissioner thinks about these selections!

I can't help but think that the political funny business has not been limited to Canberra over the past few days. Some of the early games on Friday must have been crackers.

Seriously, some of the selections are puzzling and must be based on previous performances leading up to this latest series of matches. Conversely other selections are quite obviously based on the games all of us saw over the past 5 days. There is probably a lot that can be said about independent selectors and coaches but we all read the words in bold in the inside rear cover of the program on Friday regarding selections: "NO DISCUSSIONS WILL BE ENTERED INTO"

I agree with Nanai and his prediction that NSW II should prove more successful in the Australian Championships in July.

I feel very sorry for some of the young players who played well over the past weeks only to have been discarded over this weekend.

There is an interesting story by Adam Freier in today's Sunday Herald that sounds very relevant. I hope some of the young players that were not selected read it and can can take something positive from their recent experience.

F

ftb

Best guess for firsts
1. Mokofisi (ISA)
2. Roach (GPS)
3. Millar (GPS)
4. Dombkins (ISA)
5. Cummins (CHS)
6. Broome (CHS)
7. Goodman (CAS)
8. Holloway (CAS)
9. Wessels (CHS)
10. Brisby (ISA)
11. Smith (ISA)
12. Purcell (ISA)
13. Hingano (ISA)
14. Hulme (GPS)
15. Muller (Country)

Count = ISA 6, CAS 2, CHS 3, GPS 3, Country 1

Reserves in no particular order
16. Wallace (CAS)
17. Alexander (CAS)
18. Ala'alatoa (GPS)
19. Havea (CHS)
20. Dargaville (CCC)
21. Black (ISA)
22. Keary (ISA)
23. Fine (CAS)

Count = ISA 2, CAS 3, GPS 1, CHS 1, CCC 1

I'm guessing the boys from GPS will not be happy

terrible decision at the 6 and 7 spot. Although broome is a good player, killingworth and connor deserve the NSW 1s spot over any flanker

F

ftb

NSW 1s should be:

1. Gillespie (GPS)
2. Roach (GPS)
3. Millar (GPS)
4. Melrose (GPS)
5. Cummins (CHS)
6. Killingworth (GPS)
7. Connor (GPS)
8. Luani (GPS)
9. Wessels/Donlan? (CHS/GPS)
10. Wylie (GPS)
11. Smith (ISA)
12. Latunipulu (GPS)
13. Hingano (ISA)
14. Hulme (GPS)
15. Clarke (CAS)

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Waves post is pretty close to what is in the paper. Well done mate. I can confirm Cummins has been selected in 1's and Lolohea has missed out all together. Bad luck to him as many thought he would be in the mix somewhere.

R

rugby_man

I'm guessing NSW 1's will line up like this:

1. John Mokofisi - St Augustine's College, Brookvale
2. Hugh Roach - Newington College, Stanmore
3. Guy Millar - The Kings School, North Parramatta
4. Ryan Dombkins - St Augustine's College, Brookvale
5. Steve Cummins - Hills Sports High, Seven Hills
6. James Dargaville - Mater Maria College, Warriewood
7. Stuart Goodman (c) - Barker College, Hornsby
8. Jason Havea - Hills Sports High, Seven Hills
9. Waldo Wessels - Endeavour Sports High, Caringbah
10. Sam Brisby - St Augustine's College, Brookvale
11. Matthew Hulme - St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill
12. Jack Purcell - St Augustine's College, Brookevale
13. Malietoa Hingano - St Augustine's College, Brookvale
14. Declan Smith - Oakhill College, Castle Hill
15. Luke Keary - Oakhill College, Castle Hill

16. Jack Wallace - Waverley College, Waverley
17. Hugh Alexander - Knox Grammar School, Wahroonga
18. Alan Ala'alatoa - Newington College, Stanmore
19. Jed Holloway - Waverley College, Waverley
20. Gordon Broome - Asquith High, Asquith
21. Ben Black - Chevalier College, Burradoo
22. Sam Mueller - Mudgee High, Mudgee
23. Asipeli Fine - Waverley College, Waverley

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Catchpole wrote "I agree with Nanai and his prediction that NSW II should prove more successful in the Australian Championships in July."

I love these type of comments. Last year for the U16's many "commentators" remarked what a terrible team the Schools team was and how Sydney would beat them by 50 points and would outperform the Schools team at the Nationals. Result NSW Schools won the title beating Qld in the final and allowing only one try in the final match.

The I's have a backline that is mostly ISA (all except Matt Hulme) and except for one game have shown some pretty spectacular football all year (St Auggies). Their coach is well known for his philosophy of running rugby and the forward pack has been selected to compliment this approach to the game. All players can play two or three positions without taking away from the team structure or skill level.

The II's have a team that is dominated by Kings and their very good forward pack. Obviously their game approach may be one built around forward power and strength and a good kicking game.

Two different teams for two different game strategies. Is one better than the other? Don't know. The only way we will know this is if they play each other - hopefully in the last game of the championship. So don't go making statements about crazy team selections and he should be in this team and he shouldn't be. Assess each team positively and you wll see that each side has its strengths and weaknesses.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
6. for NSW 1s is James Dargaville, very good player, Nathan Hindmarsh workhorse type, Goodman is the 7 and Broome is bench.

James may be a good player but not as good as killingworth. Very suprised by that decision. Interestingly both boys would have represented the same school had Boyd not got a scholarship from Kings as he also attended Mater Maria with James.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I told you. Mate i have had the experience playing with these two layers and some of the others. Im sorry to say i told you so,and i was not for one bit uncertain that gillespie would out scrum, out play, and out everything Lolohea all over the park. I have seen to much of these two players to not go with Gillespie.

I didn't think that until the game at Knox when Lolohea took a step back, as I mentioned earlier, though you can't judge the scrummaging because Lolohea had to play THP for most of the fame after the THP had to go off.

But I thought you were sure that Gillespie would get into the NSW Is.

Waves post is pretty close to what is in the paper. Well done mate. I can confirm Cummins has been selected in 1's and Lolohea has missed out all together. Bad luck to him as many thought he would be in the mix somewhere.

Can somebody list what was actually in the paper? Maybe copy Waves or rugbyman's list and make any changes. I assume that they listed 2 lots of 23. Correct?

Thanks

R

rugby_man

NSW 1st XV

1. John Mokofisi (ISA)
2. Hugh Roach (GPS)
3. Guy Millar (GPS)
4. Ryan Dombkins (GPS)
5. Steve Cummins (CHS)
6. James Dargaville (CCC)
7. Stuart Goodman (CAS)
8. Jason Havea (CHS)
9. Waldo Wessels (CHS)
10. Sam Brisby (ISA)
11. Matthew Hulme (GPS)
12. Jack Purcell (ISA)
13. Malietoa Hingano (ISA)
14. Declan Smith (ISA)
15. Luke Keary (ISA)

16. Jack Wallace (CAS)
17. Hugh Alexander (CAS)
18. Alan Ala'alatoa (GPS)
19. Jed Holloway (CAS)
20. Gordon Broome (CHS)
21. Ben Black (ISA)
22. Sam Muller (CHS)
23. Asipeli Fine (CAS)

NSW 2nd XV

1. Jed Gillespie (GPS)
2. Tom Kaufmann (ISA)
3. Rhys Brodie (ISA)
5. Harry Hosegood (GPS)
6. Boyd Killingsworth (GPS)
7. Tom Connor (GPS)
8. Joel Luani (GPS)
9. Tim Donlan (GPS)
10. Ed Wylie (GPS)
11. Jason Seage (CHS)
12. Apolosi Latunipulu (GPS)
13. Chris Ingate (GPS)
14. Sam Ahofono (CHS)
15. Cameron Clark (CAS)

17. Joshua Calderon (ISA)
18. Rob McNeil (CAS)
19. Benn Melrose (GPS)
20. Sam Vaka (ISA)
22. Gerard McCallum (CHS)
23. James Vaka (CHS)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

P

PTB

I didn't think that until the game at Knox when Lolohea took a step back, as I mentioned earlier, though you can't judge the scrummaging because Lolohea had to play THP for most of the fame after the THP had to go off.

He has played THP most of his life because of his size, so don't think that he has had no experience. Yes but you could say Gillespie was hard done by

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

That's a bloody good memory to remember so much stuff. Thanks. Can somebody please use this last list of rugby man and check it with the paper and put any changes in. Thanks

So the paper mentioned the reserves separately?

I thought the Ones forwards would have more GPS players because of their teamwork at the breakdown and in the scrums, and yes, there is teamwork in scrums. Also a bit surprised that the ISA midfield pair got into the Ones ahead of the GPS pair as I thought they took a step back at Knox, but I think the selectors did the right thing in keeping both pairings together.

you could say Gillespie was hard done by

I thought he played well at Knox but thought he was a bit lazy in the 2 Kings game I saw and against CAS. I would have rated him above Mokofisi though. Since you seem to know your propping stuff, why do you think Mokofisi was picked above Gillespie?

P

PTB

I thought he played well at Knox but thought he was a bit lazy in the 2 Kings game I saw and against CAS. I would have rated him above Mokofisi though. Since you seem to know your propping stuff, why do you think Mokofisi was picked above Gillespie?

Mate im with you on that one. I have no idea. of all the props they picked mokofisi. I didn't watch him much. Is he a mobile front rower?
They seem to have some funny picks in the 1's team especially with the whole ISA backline getting in. I think the coach from St Augustine's may have had a say in that

R

rugby_man

That's a bloody good memory to remember so much stuff. Thanks. Can somebody please use this last list of rugby man and check it with the paper and put any changes in. Thanks

So the paper mentioned the reserves separately?

I thought the Ones forwards would have more GPS players because of their teamwork at the breakdown and in the scrums, and yes, there is teamwork in scrums. Also a bit surprised that the ISA midfield pair got into the Ones ahead of the GPS pair as I thought they took a step back at Knox, but I think the selectors did the right thing in keeping both pairings together.

No the paper didn't list the reserves separately. But that's my guess as to what the teams look like. Both sides look pretty good on paper. I thought Boyd Killingworth, Tom Connor, Apolosi Latunipulu and Cameron Clark were hard done by. But I guess the good thing is that players from NSW II still have just as much chance to be selected for the Australian Schoolboys as NSW I do. The thing I have realised with selections for the national side over the past few years is that if you have a blinder of a tournament for the so called 2nd XV sides, you will get picked in the Australian Schoolboys side no matter who you had in front of you playing in the 1st XV side. On that note, they are finally picking players on form and not by what side they play in eg. picking a player from NSW I even though his counterpart from NSW II had a better tournament.

Saw a team list of NSW CCC, was very suprised to see that Samisoni Langi missed out on one of the sides. Played NSW Schools last year at 13 and was very, very good.

R

rugby_man

Mate im with you on that one. I have no idea. of all the props they picked mokofisi. I didn't watch him much. Is he a mobile front rower?
They seem to have some funny picks in the 1's team especially with the whole ISA backline getting in. I think the coach from St Augustine's may have had a say in that

I have to say the coach must have had a very big say in the side. As good as Jack Purcell is, I was certain Apolosi Latunipulu done enough to warrant the 12 spot in the 1st XV side.

Status
Not open for further replies.