• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
logo%20small%202.gif

AICES team just went up on the site. Here is the 1st XV:
AICES 1st XV 2015
Robert Afele > Mt View AC
Tim Anstee > William Clarke
Rhys Astbury > Penrith AC
Jacob Barnes > Nowra AC
Jock Barry > Hunter Valley GS
Will Bowcock > Scone GS
Dane Bowen > Nowra AC
William Buster > Calrossy AS
Riley Crocombe > St Philip's Gosford
Henry Fuimaono > Richard Johnson AS
Jesse Heslehurst > Nowra AC
Dan Jones > Arndell AC
Ryan McCracken > Parkes CS
Kane Murray > Hunter Valley GS
Isaac Rabuatoka > Macarthur AC
Bai Rabuku > Regents Park CS
Ben Shelley > Green Pt CC
Jayden Stokes > William Clarke
Dan Thomas > Hunter Valley GS
Tom Underwood > Hunter Valley GS
Connor Winchester > Emanuel College
Michael Yarham > William Clarke
Hayden Yates > Bishop Tyrell AC
Coach
Mr James Barkell (Reddam House)
Manager
Mr Rick Walker (Hunter Valley GS)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Awesome to see AICES back in the Open grade. Good luck to all those selected.

Plenty of country lads as well, although most seem to be from Illawarra, Hunter, Central Coast and not the "drive 200 km just to get to training" country lads that seemed to characterise the NSW Country Schools 1st XV,

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
AICES had four associations represented at the trial. HRIS is Hunter/New England, HZSA is Hills district, NASSA is all Anglican schools, but predominantly Sydney. The only one that is really state wide is CSSA. But even they concentrate around Sydney/Wollongong/Nowra.

Nonetheless, they have a few from outside, which is why there's a player from Parkes there.

I've seen there is an appetite for more representation for country kids. I know a few people who are interested in finding a way to fill the gap left by Country Schools. Maybe something will come of it.

tragickingdom

Herbert Moran (7)
and a fine squad they are. big hearts and commitment. going to be tough for them but they will go on trying to the final whistle!

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
NASSA is actually New Anglican Schools Sports Association consisting of MacArthur Anglican, the Illawarra Grammar School, St Lukes Grammar School (Dee Why), Penrith Anglican College, Broughton Anglican (Campbelltown), Wollondilly Anglican, Georges river grammar (Bankstown), Thomas Hassall Anglican (Horton Park)

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Just on the idea of ACIES replacing NSWCSRU as a pathway, the numbers say it all. To my knowledge only one boy has been able to transition form the 2014 Country 1st XV to ACIES for 2015. If these boys can not get themselves to Sydney or a major regional centre regularly to compete, there is just no pathway.
The 2014 Country 1st XV along with the touring development team had boys from all over real country NSW - Boggabri, Tamworth, Armidale, Walget, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Dungog, Singleton and Inverell hope I didn't miss any.

The truth is this pathway has disappeared due to constant pressure over recent years from other associations, as they might have missed out on a particular player. To the point where Head Masters would not release boys to Country if there was a possibility of their own school association requiring them, disgraceful. As NSWCSRU was not an official school association but more a very proud pathway, the boys need the Head Masters permission to play.

The pride in a Country jumper will be hard to understand for some, as they are not historically as competitive as the big associations. (which I don't doubt also have that same pride in their jersey) These boys are representing their home and their origin and their local communities celebrate that achievement with much pride. It is such a pity more young players can not share this same experience.
The benefits of making the NSWCSRU 1st XV - attend the NSW schools champs, go on an overseas tour and play an international touring team back home in Australia. Oh yer I can see why we let this slide.
Good luck to all those boys selected in the ACIES side it would be great step towards its development to see someone poke there nose into the NSW or CS sides.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Team Management for 2015 NSW All Schools teams at Australian Schools Championships have been announced:

NSW 1st XV
Coach: Brad Gill, Newington College
Assistant Coach: Luke Bower, Cranbrook School
Manager: John Guy, Hunter Valley Grammar School
Physiotherapist: Narelle Veverka

NSW 2nd XV
Coach: Lachlan White, Trinity Grammar School
Assistant Coach: Hugo Engele, Trinity Grammar School
Manager: Saxon Bowles, Oakhill College
Physiotherapist: Alastair Burgess
http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Just on the idea of ACIES replacing NSWCSRU as a pathway, the numbers say it all. To my knowledge only one boy has been able to transition form the 2014 Country 1st XV to ACIES for 2015. If these boys can not get themselves to Sydney or a major regional centre regularly to compete, there is just no pathway.
The 2014 Country 1st XV along with the touring development team had boys from all over real country NSW - Boggabri, Tamworth, Armidale, Walget, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Dungog, Singleton and Inverell hope I didn't miss any.

The truth is this pathway has disappeared due to constant pressure over recent years from other associations, as they might have missed out on a particular player. To the point where Head Masters would not release boys to Country if there was a possibility of their own school association requiring them, disgraceful. As NSWCSRU was not an official school association but more a very proud pathway, the boys need the Head Masters permission to play.

The pride in a Country jumper will be hard to understand for some, as they are not historically as competitive as the big associations. (which I don't doubt also have that same pride in their jersey) These boys are representing their home and their origin and their local communities celebrate that achievement with much pride. It is such a pity more young players can not share this same experience.
The benefits of making the NSWCSRU 1st XV - attend the NSW schools champs, go on an overseas tour and play an international touring team back home in Australia. Oh yer I can see why we let this slide.
Good luck to all those boys selected in the ACIES side it would be great step towards its development to see someone poke there nose into the NSW or CS sides.

Which player is the one who made the shift from NSWCSRU?

I only wish AICES was the replacement pathway we hoped. I had heard we would see the groups combine, but it hasn't happened.

With that said, I'm pleased AICES is available, but I hope an alternative country schools pathway becomes available again. The work that the NSWCSRU organisers put in is exceptional. Hopefully, someone will step up for the country kids.

tragickingdom

Herbert Moran (7)
There is a limited pathway for Country kids. The CSSA team( which feeds into AICES) had boys trial from Parkes(they made AICES), Tamworth, Dubbo, Hunter and the South Coast. It also included boys from Wollongong and Sydney.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
That's correct. My son is the player who made the team from Parkes. I'm sad to mention that I'm pretty sure the eligible guys from Dubbo didn't trial.

Nonetheless, as you say, the pathway is limited. I would dearly love to see a much better pathway for the bush.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Which player is the one who made the shift from NSWCSRU?

I only wish AICES was the replacement pathway we hoped. I had heard we would see the groups combine, but it hasn't happened.

With that said, I'm pleased AICES is available, but I hope an alternative country schools pathway becomes available again. The work that the NSWCSRU organisers put in is exceptional. Hopefully, someone will step up for the country kids.

It is Jock Barry coming from NSWCSRU to ACIES. YEs the Country schools committee are an exceptional bunch of fellas who have done wonderful things in the bush for rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would you please define the "better" pathway for the bush players?

Currently there are three pathways, and IMHO this is one too many as I do not believe that there are enough players, coaches, administrators and volunteers around to sustain three (+) pathways, Junior Gold Cup, Junior Club and Schools.

Schools Pathway. Whatever school they attend there is a representative team that participates in the NSW All Schools Trials: Private Catholic - CCC; Private "other" - AICES; Private with rugby programmes - ISA (Stannies, Kinross, All Saints, Scots Bathurst, Chev, CCGS) or AAGPS (TAS); or State School - CHS.

Junior Gold Cup Pathway. Junior Gold Cup pathway has 4 Sydney Metro Centres and 6 NSW Country Centres participating in a National Competition.

Junior Club Pathway. NSW JRU still have age group representative opportunities at Junior State Championships, Sydney vs Country, NSW JRU vs ACT JRU games.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
That's correct. My son is the player who made the team from Parkes. I'm sad to mention that I'm pretty sure the eligible guys from Dubbo didn't trial.

Nonetheless, as you say, the pathway is limited. I would dearly love to see a much better pathway for the bush.
Your son played really well, but if the AICES trend holds he will spend most of his game time under the posts getting ready to chase another kick off!
The 2013 Country Schools team which performed so well has a number of men playing in the higher performing Shute Shield Colts teams and some of these CSRU were eligible to play AICES.
CSSA and AICES need to step up for the sake of country Rugby, but given how The excellent NSWCSRU just ran out of steam I cannot see it happening soon if ever.
What they need to do is work with regional ARU, create a weekend Carnival, take players into Camp before their tournaments and provide a Tour during the season.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Would you please define the "better" pathway for the bush players?

Currently there are three pathways, and IMHO this is one too many as I do not believe that there are enough players, coaches, administrators and volunteers around to sustain three (+) pathways, Junior Gold Cup, Junior Club and Schools.

Schools Pathway. Whatever school they attend there is a representative team that participates in the NSW All Schools Trials: Private Catholic - CCC; Private "other" - AICES; Private with rugby programmes - ISA (Stannies, Kinross, All Saints, Scots Bathurst, Chev, CCGS) or AAGPS (TAS); or State School - CHS.

Junior Gold Cup Pathway. Junior Gold Cup pathway has 4 Sydney Metro Centres and 6 NSW Country Centres participating in a National Competition.

Junior Club Pathway. NSW JRU still have age group representative opportunities at Junior State Championships, Sydney vs Country, NSW JRU vs ACT JRU games.

I'm quite involved with the Junior Club and Junior Gold pathway. I think the club pathway is losing its relevance - especially in the country. It's unfortunate, but I think Gold competes more with that than it does with schools.

I believe Junior Gold is the future for all pathways to converge and hope it ends up that way.

My comments about the "better" pathway are strictly around replacing the Country Schools model so as the country kids can access the schools pathway better.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
It is Jock Barry coming from NSWCSRU to ACIES. YEs the Country schools committee are an exceptional bunch of fellas who have done wonderful things in the bush for rugby.

Great to see at that at least one of the CSRU boys managed to move through to this year.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
AICES was never going to be a replacement pathway for Country Schools unfortunately, it isn't that simple. AICES is only an option for boys who are in private schools in country areas that fall outside of ISA. The vast majority would be in state/public schools or Catholic schools and therefore AICES can't be accessed as there pathway.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I AICES was never going to be a replacement pathway for Country Schools unfortunately, it isn't that simple. AICES is only an option for boys who are in private schools in country areas that fall outside of ISA. The vast majority would be in state/public schools or Catholic schools and therefore AICES can't be accessed as there pathway.

At some point last year, whether by design or Chinese Whispers, it was mooted that the squads could combine. Clearly that hasn't happened. Whether it ever could or not is another story.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But the State School lads have the CHS representative team to access "the pathway", and the Catholics have CCC for likewise.

NSW Country Schools just seemed to give country lads a second bite of the cherry to access "the pathway".

Status
Not open for further replies.