• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U/15 Representative Team 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Interstate U15 RESULTS at Caloundra

U15 results.jpg

Note: Qld did not play SCP (thanks Vanuatu Chiefs)

U15s Results
NSW 24 def QLD 0
NSW 67 def SUNSHINE COAST PRESIDENT'S XV 0
QLD 42 def VIC 0
VIC 14 def SUNSHINE COAST PRESIDENT'S XV 13
NSW 66 def VIC 0

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I look forward to getting the DVDs of the games, hopefully they are in the mail
It looks like i exagerated the queensland score unless the scorers had lost interest when the fifth was scored ;)

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
It certainly seemed like 5 - only forward passes being the difference.

George Smith, Qld did not play SCP. The NSW boys took on SCP at 4pm on the Friday afternoon. They then backed up with their excellent win over Qld at 9.30am on the Saturday before rounding off their campaign with their 12 noon kick off v Vic.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is why we need an alternative to the Oz Schools system. [Jiggles was talking about the 3rd tier on another thread.]

I like the third tier idea, but I think a bigger issue is the junior pathway. In all seriousness if you are not in one of the big 8 rugby schools in Brisbane or the big 15 (there abouts) in NSW/ACT then you are pretty much lost to rugby. There is virtually no club competition from about U/14s to Colts.

We need another system to get the lads who missed out on getting "recruited" or don't want to go to to what they think is a posh school, or developed as rugby players in their last couple of years of school and were overlooked. I know of 2 lads whose parents were approached about 10 years ago (cousins) but the boys were intimidated because they though they were too dumb (their words). Another lad thought he would have to give up surfing.

There are dozens of reasons why not all the best schoolboy rugby players in NSW and Qld don't go to rugby private schools and we have to let them see a alternate rugby pathway. The private school lads are locked into rugby until they leave school but the others drop out quickly unless encouraged.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is why we need an alternative to the Oz Schools system. [Jiggles was talking about the 3rd tier on another thread.]

We need another system to get the lads who missed out on getting "recruited" or don't want to go to to what they think is a posh school, or developed as rugby players in their last couple of years of school and were overlooked. I know of 2 lads whose parents were approached about 10 years ago (cousins) but the boys were intimidated because they though they were too dumb (their words). Another lad thought he would have to give up surfing.

There are dozens of reasons why not all the best schoolboy rugby players in NSW and Qld don't go to rugby private schools and we have to let them see a alternate rugby pathway. The private school lads are locked into rugby until they leave school but the others drop out quickly unless encouraged.

Perhaps an SG Ball type competition?

Now I don't know much about SG Ball or Sydney Club rugby but surely the 8 Shute Shield teams + a couple of key country areas (Illawara, Central Coast, etc.) could assemble a team of players from outside the traditional schools for a short tournament. Could be played at U14 (think it already exists at this age group), U16, and U18 level with the U16 being used to directly feed into the Sydney rep side for Nationals.

Thoughts? I could be off the mark and it could be infeasible or perhaps a similar system is already in place and just needs more emphasis (not from around there).

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I typed this rough explination of the existing comps for en_force_er on word so I could use the spell check thinking I might be able to copy and paste straight across .. it didn't work so I added the word explaination as a file I hope this does work and I hope it is not too long winded it is miopic observation but may help

Attachments

• expl.docx
    12 KB · Views: 328

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Just a note on the above explaination the district rep teams are made of players available from any village club in the district including players that choose play in lower graded teams not just the strongest village team/club in the district.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I typed this rough explination of the existing comps for en_force_er on word so I could use the spell check thinking I might be able to copy and paste straight across .. it didn't work so I added the word explaination as a file I hope this does work and I hope it is not too long winded it is miopic observation but may help

Cheers for that Wood Rat.

Sounds like maybe it's more an 'emphasis' problem than lack of the actual tournaments existing in the U14 & under ages and that there's really a need for an improved structure overall in the U15 plus ages.

S

Sydneybra

Junior League has a much better structure than Union, we could take after them

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
though relevent to 15 this is being discussed in Georgr Smith national club rugby championships thread, possibly more thoroughly.
as much as I love rugby and would like it to have the same resources as the league juniors discussed above there is a weight of numbers and relevent budgetary restrictions that prevent this.
australian winter culture is still wrapped in two quircky provincial sports played in a combined total of about four cities in the world I dont expect this to change significantly for a little while yet

as for the futures of the lads hear:
some will be taking vows that will stop them being able to speak of junior club rugby for another 2 or three years (that is their reward for being good at this age and the price they pay for an education they may or may not have otherwise recieved) such is life with the cloistered order that is music scholarships

Other will spin the injury barrel more frequently/double dip at the chances of playing for NSW schools SJRU or country u16( i dont know if mixing metaphors is a sin but damn me)

all for a chance of being spotted by scouts or just the love of the game ?

hopefully there are enough adults around to tell them that this is a brilliant hoby and life style for most the best they could hope for is that someone else might cover their expenses for the hoby. if they are part of the small number that make a livable income from playing this may last for two to five tears which leaves another 40 years of working life with a body that may deteriorate quiker than those who didnt delve

given all that there would be few old footballers that wouldnt want their sons to share the love. Get an education get agood job and prety well anywhere you go in the world you will find a rugby club, you wil wear out a lot of shoe leather trying to find the two provincial codes

Status
Not open for further replies.