• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Number of tries scored by Maul 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Once again, do you really believe this internet forum is significantly influencing rugby media and officialdom on this topic?
And the "effluence" line was a little in-joke.

Of course it does. How many posters have been calling for Lealiifano being kept at 10 and To'omua at 12, and suddenly Bernie sees the light. How many of us saw Will Skelton's scrummaging weaknesses and Cheika specially brought in a scrum coach to rectify his faults. How many of us have called for RG's sacking and it will happen one day (just don't ask me when). Last week I called on Bernie to change his game plan to reduce the amount of kicking and to keep ball in hand if they wanted to score 4 tries. I take full ownership of the bonus point win against the Force.

A very powerful forum is this GAGR.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Of course it does. How many posters have been calling for Lealiifano being kept at 10 and To'omua at 12, and suddenly Bernie sees the light. How many of us saw Will Skelton's scrummaging weaknesses and Cheika specially brought in a scrum coach to rectify his faults. How many of us have called for RG's sacking and it will happen one day (just don't ask me when). Last week I called on Bernie to change his game plan to reduce the amount of kicking and to keep ball in hand if they wanted to score 4 tries. I take full ownership of the bonus point win against the Force.

A very powerful forum is this GAGR.
And yet, Stuart Berry still refs!

T

Train Without a Station

You reckon Larkham seeing the light may have had something to do with To'omua being the first choice Wallaby 12?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
^^^And he is about to have to coach a Wallaby backline where To'omua will be 12.

The writing was on the wall, Bernie knew it. He just dragged his feet to show everyone he was still in charge at the Brumbies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
My biggest question to do with mauls is when is the last time an Australian team held a tackled player off the ground and a maul was called and we managed to win possession? It seems that NZ and SA teams regularly do this to our teams but we cant do it back.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My biggest question to do with mauls is when is the last time an Australian team held a tackled player off the ground and a maul was called and we managed to win possession? It seems that NZ and SA teams regularly do this to our teams but we cant do it back.

The Tahs did it on the weekend and IIRC the Rebels as well.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Just glad Australian Rugby hasn't done the usual idiocy of shooting itself in the proverbial foot via provincial one eyed short-sighted rants of a insecure unpatriotic minority in a world cup year like bringing unnecessary scrutiny to something that may have been a significant weapon to use to help achieve WC success, and benefit Australian Rugby overall.

Did you hold your breath when typing that?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A fairly simple question was asked to kick this thread off.

Still not answered despite attempts to recreate the Pocock vs Hooper vs Gill vs the rest Thread, and some Interstate Paranoia Chum floating around. I'm trying to figure out who is going to be the first to get a mention of one or more of Bill Pulver, Kurtley Beale, the final Wallabies RWC 15 squad or box kicking halfbacks in their post on this thread.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^^^
Probably because the stats aren't there, and no-one has the time or inclination to code >100 Super Rugby matches to get them. Simples.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
the_truth_is_out_there_17854.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the simple answer is ...................

Too f*cken many

The only thing worse is that rolling maul followed by a shitty box kick from inside their own half.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really hope Gagger's info on mauls being refed properly at RWC is on the money 'cos I fucking hate them. As soon as the lineout jumper unloads to a pod of waiting players who then use he & his blockers/ supports as a screen.... Obstruction, penalty defending team; as soon as the guy holding the ball at the back ceases binding with a full arm.... Obstruction, penalty defending team. Simples.

As I've said previously, if there was only one ELV kept it should've been the one allowing a maul to be taken to ground. I'm also of the view that a defender, having joined legally & provided he maintains a full-arm bind, should be allowed to "swim" around the side & target the ball-carrier; and that a player trying to work his way to the ball-carrier via the direct route shouldn't have to worry about his head being targeted.

Our game is meant to be about the contest for possession, it really shits me that we've somehow ended up with this one thing where a contest is all but impossible. It needs to either be outlawed or made so hard to do that 99% of the time no-one will bother.

Lastly I'm really surprised that the NH would contemplate refing the rolling maul properly as they seem to love them up there as much a certain teams do down our ways. Only explanation I can think of is they're worried the SH teams may be better at it than them............

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Couldn't agree more WOB. Keep the maul, but also give defending teams a chance to actually defend it and while we're at it stop the legalised obstruction. We don't allow it out in the backs, so why allow it in the pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.